Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:06 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
In addition, the punk bands Uniform Choice and Christian Death (the latter more of a goth-punk band) have persevered with none of their original line-ups. That's about all I can think of though.

The website BandToBand documents these, although only lineups that recorded something. Uniform Choice has completely recycled their lineup twice much like Napalm Death. Non-metal bands Renaissance, The Poets and Love Affair have done the same, although some of them were more manager-controlled entities I think.

There's a story from Hanson Meyer about meeting a later incarnation of Uniform Choice: http://blackflagnervousbreakdown.blogsp ... -none.html
Quote:
I continued to go to punk shows through the end of 1984 but finally exited the punk scene entirely by 1985. I hadn’t heard anything about the punk scene or any of the bands I had played with until 1989 when I was hanging out with a band called “the Shrinky Dinx” who later became Sugar Ray. They were playing at the Palace in Hollywood and one of the opening bands was Uniform Choice. We were all back stage when Mark McGrath introduced me to the guys in Uniform Choice who were just walking through the backstage area before going on stage. The band that I had started with Myke Bates had moved through so many stages of its life that it now had the appearance of a metal band, with all the members clad in dark clothes and long hair… I didn’t recognize any of them. I told them that I was one of the original members and they just looked at me puzzled with nothing really to say. It was a strange and awkward moment... It was like the name of the band had a life of its own and the band itself had been bastardized over time to the point that none of the members of the final line up had any idea who started the band, where the name had come from or even knew its original meaning.

Also amusing is that when the last original member of TSOL departed, Dave Mello of Uniform Choice replaced him and made it onto some live recordings - his 2nd time in a band with no original members. There's even an LA Times article about all of TSOL's troubles from the time.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:51 pm 

They split up a while ago, but by the time of their breakup3 Inches of Blood had no original members. Their harsh vocalist was original but he left the band in 2008 and from that point until their breakup in 2015 they had no original members left.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:03 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Pantera.

Rex Brown is an original member.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:16 am 

Space_alligator wrote:
What typically constitutes as "original lineup"?

Is it a bands first recordings? Or notable live performances?

Well, it seems that in this thread we have been using the word "original" as "founding", as in literally founding the band. A good example of this was the discussion about Tolkki from Stratovarius. The guy was not there when they created the band, although he was with the band very early and contributed to establishing their sound and aesthetic far more then some of the founding members who didn't stick around for a long time.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:25 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
Pantera.

"Later in 1982 Tommy D. Bradford left as well, being replaced by Rex Brown".

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/pantera/77

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:38 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Well, it seems that in this thread we have been using the word "original" as "founding", as in literally founding the band. A good example of this was the discussion about Tolkki from Stratovarius. The guy was not there when they created the band, although he was with the band very early and contributed to establishing their sound and aesthetic far more then some of the founding members who didn't stick around for a long time.

Matt Heafy from Trivium is another example of this.

No. No am not.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:51 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:

Matt Heafy from Trivium is another example of this.

I didn't know that. I just went and read about it. Yes, great example!

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:25 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
Pantera.

"Later in 1982 Tommy D. Bradford left as well, being replaced by Rex Brown".

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/pantera/77

Well I'll be dipped.

Also, wtf happened in 1986 where they had SIX different singers in one year????

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:41 pm 

Space_alligator wrote:
What typically constitutes as "original lineup"?

Is it a bands first recordings? Or notable live performances?

I'd always consider it from the lineup that releases their first bit of music. I think when it gets to the point of writing that's when it turns into a 'real' band, not the early lineups that can churn through members every few weeks

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:41 pm 

Helvede wrote:
Long gone band by now, but Iniquity changed entire line up between their debut album and the following EP.

This is nuts. You'd think that a complete upheaval in such a short space of time would necessitate a change of name, esp. if all/most guys left at the same time. In this situation I guess it's pretty much the metal equivalent of the ship of Theseus.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2