Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:21 am 

The new Savage Master album is out, and it’s fucking awesome. Easily the band’s best work to date. They’ve improved on all fronts and represent everything I love about traditional heavy metal.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:16 am 

The new Sexmag demo sounds cool! A bit thrashier than the EP, but definitely worth hearing. :)

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:37 pm 

Voidsel wrote:
Grima just released Frostbitten. First listen this feels a chunk stronger than their previous two. Epic atmoblack without the dreariness.

Spoiler: show

Loving this one. New Toxik also rules very hard!

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:48 pm 

doomicus wrote:
The new Savage Master album is out, and it’s fucking awesome. Easily the band’s best work to date. They’ve improved on all fronts and represent everything I love about traditional heavy metal.

Agreed, the new album is just fantastic

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:39 am 

I'm months late on this but the new album from Hangman's Chair may be one of my favorite albums of 2022 so far, definitely up there with new releases from Imperial Triumphant, The Chasm, Inanna, Voivod, etc.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:01 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
The new Incandescence album is another one I'd definitely recommend.

I'm allowing myself to quote this post from 4 months ago, because this album is very solid! Just revisited it yesterday when my roommate shared with me a stout they brewed for Incandescence, and we drank it while listening to the album.

And damn, if the whole album is good, one thing that stands out for me is the quality of the drumming. The drummer (and well, the guy who does everything except the vocals in Incandescence) also plays the drums in Chthe'ilist and Beyond Creation. The guy doesn't just blast his way through. There is a lot going on with the drums, and it really does add a nice layer to Incandescence's music.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:35 pm 

For all those missing Power Trip, their guitarist Blake Ibanez has a new band called Fugitive (which also includes members of Creeping Death and Impalers) and they just surprise released their debut EP. It's not a complete clone or anything, being in a different tuning with a bit more of a death metal influence (especially vocally), but it's high quality crossover thrash nonetheless. As far as physical copies I believe they've mentioned they're going to partner with 20 Buck Spin for the CD/LP versions.

https://fugitivetx.bandcamp.com/album/maniac

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:38 am 

Amebix-influenced d-beating speed metalpunk from Tasmania! These guys fucking rip, and although I'm not sold on every single track and the production could be better, when they nail it (mostly on the second half of the record) it rules extremely hard.

Ironhawk (who said all the cool names were already taken?) 'Ritual of the warpath':

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:14 pm 

Nostalghia - Au milieu de l'hiver
https://nostalghia-ab.bandcamp.com/albu ... -de-lhiver

I try my best not to oversell stuff and keep the writing to a minimum, different tastes and whatnot, but every now and then comes an album that leaves you with no other option.

Jumping straight to the top of the list, one of the best blends of Atmo Black with Post metal I've seen around.

A big thank you to the guy behind this, it's going to keep me busy for quite some time.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:04 am 

snarg wrote:
Nostalghia - Au milieu de l'hiver
https://nostalghia-ab.bandcamp.com/albu ... -de-lhiver

I try my best not to oversell stuff and keep the writing to a minimum, different tastes and whatnot, but every now and then comes an album that leaves you with no other option.

Jumping straight to the top of the list, one of the best blends of Atmo Black with Post metal I've seen around.

A big thank you to the guy behind this, it's going to keep me busy for quite some time.

Have it fourteenth on my top of the year list.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:52 am 

draconiondevil wrote:
doomicus wrote:

I really wanted to like this, and I do enjoy the instrumental, but there's no getting over those vocals; they just sound way too amateurish to the point of being atrocious at times. I am ultra picky with clean vocals tho, so maybe that's just me... shame.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:31 am 

therealvivs wrote:
draconiondevil wrote:
doomicus wrote:

I really wanted to like this, and I do enjoy the instrumental, but there's no getting over those vocals; they just sound way too amateurish to the point of being atrocious at times. I am ultra picky with clean vocals tho, so maybe that's just me... shame.

I don't think it's amateurish, but I just listened to a clip and it's really not good. I don't think the instrumentals are good either.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:54 am 

I found that it's not just that I dislike the tone of her voice, it's also the fact that - in my opinion - it doesn't match with what's going on in the music, creating a very disjointed experience; the vocal lines and melodies do not go well together with what's being played, like there was no effort placed in fitting the two together. I don't know how to explain it better...

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:57 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Kalaratri wrote:
The new Incandescence album is another one I'd definitely recommend.

I'm allowing myself to quote this post from 4 months ago, because this album is very solid! Just revisited it yesterday when my roommate shared with me a stout they brewed for Incandescence, and we drank it while listening to the album.

And damn, if the whole album is good, one thing that stands out for me is the quality of the drumming. The drummer (and well, the guy who does everything except the vocals in Incandescence) also plays the drums in Chthe'ilist and Beyond Creation. The guy doesn't just blast his way through. There is a lot going on with the drums, and it really does add a nice layer to Incandescence's music.

Yes, this album is superb! Who said black metal can't have killer drumming? Oh, and can we all just take a minute to appreciate that artwork?

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:45 am 

therealvivs wrote:
I found that it's not just that I dislike the tone of her voice, it's also the fact that - in my opinion - it doesn't match with what's going on in the music, creating a very disjointed experience; the vocal lines and melodies do not go well together with what's being played, like there was no effort placed in fitting the two together. I don't know how to explain it better...

I agree. I get what you're going for. I just find it all around bad.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:45 pm 

thewrll wrote:
therealvivs wrote:

I agree. I get what you're going for. I just find it all around bad.

Her vocals are definitely not for everyone, but for me they really tap into that era of metal where genres weren't defined or clear cut, and metal was very blue collar (vocal and instrumentation wise). That whole snotty and punkish NWoBHM feel, with quirky passion and attitude over dime a dozen dialed in performances, scratches my itch something fierce.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:26 am 

For those who aren't keen on the Savage Master vocals, give these a go. The music is broadly similar (although I would say not quite as good as SM), but these female vocals are much more powerful and gutsier, with something to say (not knocking Savage Master, I like them too).
Sanhedrin 'Lights on':

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:40 am 

Lagartija wrote:
For those who aren't keen on the Savage Master vocals, give these a go. The music is broadly similar (although I would say not quite as good as SM), but these female vocals are much more powerful and gutsier, with something to say (not knocking Savage Master, I like them too).
Sanhedrin 'Lights on':

That actually works. Less exaggerated singing and more sing songy talking. And the instrumentals are better. Definitely not atrocious.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:10 pm 

FUGITIVE album fkin rips. RIP Riley.

Type VIIC
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:19 pm 

Yeah the Fugitive EP is a banger but it's so short....intro track, 3 songs, Bathory cover.

Like the recent Get The Shot EP, absolute crusher that leaves you wanting more.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:11 am 

Ditto re Fugitive :headbang:

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:08 am 

Been listening to this for a while now and I really like the material here, specially considering it is a debut album.
Killer blackened death metal from Greece. Could do with some more variety, but overall this is great.

https://exiliumnoctis.bandcamp.com/albu ... apocalypse

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:44 pm 

I agree that new Savage Master kicks ass, Sanhedrin did not do much for me on recent listens. On a related note, you should all get on the new Acid Blade album! It's really something special. Big Manilla Road vibes from the closing song, these guys just know what they are doing. Easily my #1 of the year after the first listen, and I keep going back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efad0e8pKcs

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

akb88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:05 pm 

therealvivs wrote:
Been listening to this for a while now and I really like the material here, specially considering it is a debut album.
Killer blackened death metal from Greece. Could do with some more variety, but overall this is great.

https://exiliumnoctis.bandcamp.com/albu ... apocalypse

Came here to suggest this as well! Good stuff!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:13 am 

I'm really happy to see multiple positive responses to the Entgeist album I posted awhile ago :beer:

Here's another absolute gem of a black metal album that came up randomly on Spotify earlier this week and made me stop and figure out what I was listening to immediately. Reminds me a bit of a mix between like Abyssic Hate and Sarkrista, but has a more powerful sound overall I think. Some really nice overlapping guitar melodies and the closing track just really drives it home for me.

There's 4 other albums I like right now that I haven't seen anybody mention that I will prolly post all together in the next few days. I haven't quite "figured them out" completely yet.
I also think the new Grima is pretty good.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:24 am 

I'll have to see how it fares after a few more listens, but I'm very impressed with the new Soilwork on the first go round. Certainly one of the better albums I've heard this year.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:33 pm 

Caustic sludge/death/doom metal fronted by Keijo Niinimaa of Rotten Sound. I'd recommend this for fans of Primitive Man and Jupiterian.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:06 am 

I need something that sounds fresh in the same way that Iotunn's album from last year did. Hi energy, soaring vocals, stellar riffs. Anyone got anything?

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:17 am 

Really digging the new White Rune album. Finnish black metal.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:52 am 

Some really good death metal from Barcelona that was released last week. Ósserp's latest leans more towards the grind-y side of death metal but they also like to mix it up a bit with death/doomy sections too. The vocals rule btw!
https://osserp.bandcamp.com/album/els-n ... a-sibil-la

Last edited by shouvince on Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:54 pm 

Yay Ósserp from Barcelona with Catalan lyrics, we played with these guys quite a few years ago! :thumbsup:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:30 am 

This Tad Morose album is pretty great actually; nice to see an old guard band soldiering on this well. Better with every reunion album. The shorter, punchier songs make this one go down easy and the melodies and choruses are pretty killer. Nice heavy, dark trip. It's a shame they won't match those old '00s albums but this is all very solid.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:36 pm 

The debut full length from BlackBraid is a year end contender for me. Stellar songwriting and a lot of variety on offer. The closing track Prying Open The Jaws Of Eternity in particular is quite a trip.

BloodGnosis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:52 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
The debut full length from BlackBraid is a year end contender for me. Stellar songwriting and a lot of variety on offer. The closing track Prying Open The Jaws Of Eternity in particular is quite a trip.

Seconding this. Not a huge amount of black metal released past the mid 2000s gets me particularly excited, but Blackbraid are something special. Powerful vocals, stellar production, uplifting riffs and refreshing lyrical themes, which totally compliment the music, in a genre too often burdened by cliches. Definitely my favourite metal album of the year so far.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:53 pm 

New Mico is great. For fans of Plebeian Grandstand, Celeste, etc.

https://micolandia.bandcamp.com/album/zigurat

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:59 pm 

New Autonoesis!
Unknown Canadian band playing an astounding mix of melodic and technical black/thrash/death metal with non-stop riffs and melodies and breathtaking accoustic guitar passages.
Their s/t debut from 2020 caused quite a stir, and now the new follow-up 'Moon of foul magics' continues that winning formula, even upping the intricate songwriting. This made my week.

https://autonoesis.bandcamp.com/album/m ... oul-magics

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:56 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
The closing track Prying Open The Jaws Of Eternity in particular is quite a trip

The whole album is stellar but I have to go with Sacandaga as the one that stands out for me.

brundlefly
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:07 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
The closing track Prying Open The Jaws Of Eternity in particular is quite a trip.

It really is. There are moments where the vocals are super reminiscent of John Haughm's harsh vocals...but like way more powerful.

akb88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:26 pm 

Ice Howl - Darkness From Beyond is excellent fun

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:16 pm 

The new Hierophant record is getting a lot of listens from me at the moment. They've shifted from blackened sludge/hardcore to more of a black/death sound, with this album being somewhere between the war metal styling of bands like Teitanblood and more conventional blackened death metal like Angelcorpse. There's plenty of aggression with little to no let up, but the band also plays around with different tempos, throws in bits of sinister melody here and there and actually writes some fairly catchy songs.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next