Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:21 am 

Swedish death metal legends Bloodbath will release their sixth full length, Survival of the Sickest, on September 9 through Napalm Records. From the press release:

Quote:
s time for another deep dive into the horrors of mortality and the foul side of the supernatural - It’s time for Survival Of The Sickest! The sixth full-length album from Bloodbath, Sweden’s undisputed masters of old school death metal, will be unleashed on September 9 via Napalm Records. This is death metal at its ugly best: vicious, unrelenting and irrevocably sworn to the black.

The world is in flames, and Survival Of The Sickest, produced by Bloodbath and co-produced and mixed by Lawrence Mackrory at Rorysound Studios, offers no respite from the horrors of reality. Instead, with the addition of new guitarist Tomas ‘Plytet’ Åkvik (Lik) onboard, Bloodbath’s latest and greatest album gleefully confronts the slavering ghoul lurking in the shadows, and treats him to ten songs of ripping death metal frenzy. Alongside Bloodbath’s official alumni, Survival Of The Sickest boasts a smattering of irresistible cameos from the great, good and ghoulish of the metal underground, including Barney Greenway (Napalm Death), Luc Lemay (Gorguts) and Marc Grewe (Morgoth).

Alongside its pre-order kickoff, Bloodbath have released the crushing new single and album opener, “Zombie Inferno”, a thrashing death metal assault set to draw the listener into a lunatic outburst of ferocity. The song breaks in with anxiety-inducing riffs and the insanely killer vocals of Nick Holmes, and is visually highlighted via a fast-paced, gory music video, acting as a tribute to the glory days of 80s splatter flicks.

Bloodbath on “Zombie Inferno“: "One man's struggle to rid the World of Zombie Infestation that seems to have inconveniently taken over the planet. Particularly, as he's just refueled his 1969 Dodge Super Bee 440."

Watch the official music video, directed by Ash Pears and produced by Ash Pears for AshTV, below.

From the thuggish brain-smash of opener “Zombie Inferno” to the bleak, obsidian ooze of closer “No God Before Me”, Survival Of The Sickest is the sound of a great band in blistering form. In contrast with The Arrow Of Satan Is Drawn, which borrowed heavily from the blackened end of the death metal world, the new Bloodbath goes straight for the jugular in true old school fashion. With strong echoes of everything from Morbid Angel and Death to Deicide and Obituary, songs like the rampaging “Putrefying Corpse”, the disgustingly slow and heavy “Dead Parade”, and the deliciously twisted “Tales Of Melting Flesh” breathe fresh fire into an arcane, perpetually rotting formula.

Formed by Jonas Renkse and Anders Nyström (both of Katatonia), Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth) and Dan Swanö (Edge Of Sanity) in 1998, Bloodbath devoted themselves to resurrecting the increasingly forgotten art of pure death metal. In 2014, they unveiled a new frontman - legendary Paradise Lost vocalist Nick Holmes, now redubbed Old Nick - and yet another macabre musical evolution. With a line-up of Renkse, Nyström, Per ‘Sodomizer’ Eriksson (ex-Katatonia), Martin ‘Axe’ Axenrot (ex-Opeth) and Holmes, the only way to go was grim. On Survival Of The Sickest, Bloodbath evoke their most horrifying sonic scenarios to date, from the death-by-munching nightmare of “Malignant Maggot Therapy”, to the murderous nihilism of “Affliction Of Extinction”. A glorious comeback from a legendarily wicked musical force, Survival Of The Sickest provides yet more proof that Bloodbath are the kings of the old school.

Bloodbath add: "If there was a declaration of goods attached to this album, it would say Florida death metal exported from Sweden."

Tracklisting:
1. Zombie Inferno
2. Putrefying Corpse
3. Dead Parade
4. Malignant Maggot Therapy
5. Carved
6. Born Infernal
7. To Die
8. Affliction of Extinction
9. Tales of Melting Flesh
10. Environcide
11. No God Before Me

Zombie Inferno has been released as the first single:
Spoiler: show

A new Bloodbath record is always a pleasant surprise and the single sounds great! Definitely closer to old school Swedeath/Floridian DM with less of the blackened influence Joakim brought on The Arrow of Satan is Drawn, but solid nonetheless. Nick sounds great as well.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:38 am 

That really wasn't that good/memorable. The production and Old Nick's vocals are taking me out of the purportedly old school Florida death metal influence.

Bonziepsycho wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
I stopped reading at "Ultra Metal", sorry.

What is wrong with ultra metal?

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:39 am 

Just listened to the single. Not the best, but still pretty decent as far as Bloodbath goes. Interested to see the full album in September.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:54 am 

Nick Holmes is my favorite Bloodbath vocalist by far, so needless to say I'm stoked!!! Looking very promising. The song and video are both killer, and the artwork really seals the deal...Wes Benscoter is easily one of the most talented artists working in the metal scene today and his stuff is always a pleasure to look at. Barney's an interesting choice of guest, but I'll take him over Kam Lee any day :lol:.

I wonder who's playing drums? Apparently Axe is listed in some press releases (and is credited on the main site), but Waltteri Väyrynen's been playing live recently and he isn't featured in recent band photos either. Wonder what's going on?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:07 am 

Mikael and Peter were both perfect vocalists for this band. Nick hasn't had a decent growl in decades and it ruins the whole package. Such a shame.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:47 am 

That artwork is awesome. I love the retro death metal font and baby blue color
Eh Pop is meant for money garbage to be honest. You can really tell that the mainstream society are truly obsessed with it. They can really just love the very clean vocals and all the time they don't even use guitars.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:18 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Mikael and Peter were both perfect vocalists for this band. Nick hasn't had a decent growl in decades and it ruins the whole package. Such a shame.

I agree. He doesn't gel quite well with this material, does he?

Bonziepsycho wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
I stopped reading at "Ultra Metal", sorry.

What is wrong with ultra metal?

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:19 pm 

Nick’s sounding great!! It’s new Bloodbath so I’m in.

orphy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:34 pm 

Didn't really care for the last album. The chorus of this song sounds a lot like Death's "Zombie Ritual." I'll check the album out but I don't have the highest of hopes. I did like "Grand Morbid Funeral" a lot though!

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:57 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

I agree. He doesn't gel quite well with this material, does he?

Where I'm at as well. I don't think Nick's vocals are especially bad or anything, but they don't fit. They lack the ferocity and power you want for a style like this.

Also, what the hell is up with that bass kick? It's horrendous.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:41 pm 

That single rips. The last album didn't do a lot for me (lacking memorable riffs and too much focus on brooding atmosphere) but if this one is in this vein then I'll be happy.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:01 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

Seriously, I was listening to Year of the Cadaver race for the like 100th time and Peter's vocals absolutely demolish Nick.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:09 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Where I'm at as well. I don't think Nick's vocals are especially bad or anything, but they don't fit. They lack the ferocity and power you want for a style like this.

That's part of the appeal, his vocals aren't as guttural or brutal as Mikael or Peter, but he has a grim, decrepit, and disgusting character to his voice - which is more fitting to the music on the recent albums. It's a very authentic, old school approach to death vocals which I fucking love. Mikael and Peter are amazing as well, but to me their styles are more "proper" sounding, like David Vincent or Glen Benton (respectively) and work great for the US-style death metal they were leaning towards in the mid-to-late 00's, whereas Nick's approach is more comparable to Chris Reifert or Matti Karki, and imo is more fitting to old school Swedish death metal they're doing here.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:07 pm 

Just imagine if Bloodbath had gotten Jörgen Sandström to do the vocals. That's who I was hoping for back when they had this big tease as to who would be replacing their full time vocalist a number of years ago

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:36 pm 

Not a fan of this band, and wasn't into the single, but fuck do I love Wes Benscoter album art.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:02 am 

God, I love that blue logo! \m/

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:38 am 

ChildClownOutlet wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

Seriously, I was listening to Year of the Cadaver race for the like 100th time and Peter's vocals absolutely demolish Nick.

Peter's vocals on NMF are the highlight of this band for me. So killer on the whole album.

Lee Harrison
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:02 am 

I like all Bloodbath albums (so vocals) and last album was awesome with much black influence,I hope the next don’t lost that…

Master_Debater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:22 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Just imagine if Bloodbath had gotten Jörgen Sandström to do the vocals. That's who I was hoping for back when they had this big tease as to who would be replacing their full time vocalist a number of years ago

I thought I was the only one who thought this!

Jorgen has such an underrated growl. I wish the Project Hate didn't get weird with their recent female vocalists.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:20 am 

Here's the second single with Luc Lemay of Gorguts providing guest vocals:

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:58 am 

I absolutely loathe vocal-heavy songs like this. I wish Nick would shut the fuck up for even half of a verse so we can actually appreciate the rest of the band.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:45 pm 

I enjoyed that track, definite quality riffs that remind me a lot of Nightmares Made Flesh. But sad to hear Luc Lemay wasn't more prominent - sounds like he was just tossed into the background.

Ludorff
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:07 pm 

It's not bad, but it's just too predictable. Very weird to invite Lemay if we're almost not hearing him.
Bloodbath are great are what they are doing, and I'll give the album a listen. Might buy if there's a few great tracks. But in the end, I don't feel like I need more of them. One can choose 1 album for each of their singers, and you have the complete palette on 3 albums.

jose_G
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:17 am 

waiting for that

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:29 pm 

I didn't even notice Luc Lemay on this track. Not even barely. That's funny.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:29 pm 

I have no idea why you'd invite a guess vocalist like Lemay just to drown him completely in the mix. What the hell were they thinking...

As for the single itself, Bloodbath are playing very safe as usual. Nothing sticks out, and nothing really sticks for me. I just listened to the single and I've already forgotten how it sounded. I hate to say this because I have a lot of respect for Renske, Holmes and Nyström, but Bloodbath would definitely benefit from taking more risks instead of being so damn "by the book".

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:20 am 

Man, am I ever more becoming indifferent to those hype proclamations... "legends"... "masters"...

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:09 am 

Here's the third (and I assume final) single:

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:54 am 

Good song, and makes sense as an album closer, but a weird choice for a single.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:00 pm 

Loved the song. Probably would have liked it more in context of the album.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:44 pm 

The album is out today. IMO it's their best since The Fathomless Mastery and maybe even Nightmares Made Flesh. Tons of awesome, groovy riffs, with a good mix of really fast and more midpaced tracks. I think the lead and melodic guitar playing is also generally better than it's been the last couple of albums too. It reminds me of their older material a bit, but the extra grittiness of the Nick Holmes era is still here.

Overall, this feels like a serious step up and I'll probably come back to it at least a few times.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:02 pm 

CoffeeCat wrote:
The album is out today. IMO it's their best since The Fathomless Mastery and maybe even Nightmares Made Flesh. Tons of awesome, groovy riffs, with a good mix of really fast and more midpaced tracks. I think the lead and melodic guitar playing is also generally better than it's been the last couple of albums too. It reminds me of their older material a bit, but the extra grittiness of the Nick Holmes era is still here.

Overall, this feels like a serious step up and I'll probably come back to it at least a few times.

I agree. Much better than the last one.

orphy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:18 pm 

I've given this a couple listens now, and it's actually quite good! Definitely an improvement over the previous snoozefest. I'll buy it if I see it at a store.

PurpleDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:00 pm 

Found myself in a death metal mood today and gave this a listen - great shit. Some seriously vicious riffing on here without as many of the dull patches I run into on some of the other full-lengths.

Reply to topic