Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheCloudMinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:56 am 

The singer from Manilla Road sucks ass. He sounds like a frightened gerbil. I have no idea what he is trying to go for or how he can possibly think he sounds good at what he does.

The Bard with Bright Eyes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:05 pm 

Just imagine it's Peter Griffin who sings and all should be well.

I hope not

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:59 pm 

TheCloudMinder wrote:
The singer from Manilla Road sucks ass. He sounds like a frightened gerbil. I have no idea what he is trying to go for or how he can possibly think he sounds good at what he does.

I quite like MR and have learned to "accept" his vocals. But I'm gonna guess yours in not an unpopular opinion. LOL

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:00 pm 

I love Shelton's vocals. I feel like most people who hate them only heard Crystal Logic where he had a cold when doing that album. Listening to Mystification or Open the Gates and I really don't have an issue... plus some of his later vocals have this great deep tone to them that came with age.

I like singers who are weird and have character. Much more important to me than "how many notes can he sing" and all that.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:59 pm 

kovner1972 wrote:
It's not that I don't like dissonant, atonal, quirky, unorthodox music -- I dig many an avant-garde musical endeavors, from Gorguts' Obscura, Atrocity's Hallucinations, Korova's A Kiss In The Charnel Fields, to Diamanda Galas, French zeuhl band Shub Niggurath, Jon Zorn, O.L.D.'s Lo Flux Tube etc etc ad nauseam -- it's just that Immolation's music bores me to tears.

That's why I recommended you their last album. It's a lot more melodic and catchy than a lot of their previous stuff. Maybe approach it with a different mindset.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:13 pm 

Seconding Immolation's latest. I could never get into them until I was unexpectedly blown away by the last one, and since then I've grown to really appreciate their previous work.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:58 pm 

It's interesting how many people struggled with Immolation at first. They weren't the first death metal I listened to, but they were earlier on than some, and while they were never one of my particular favorites, I liked them as much as any other non-favorite death metal band, particularly Close To a World Below. If anything, I kind of felt they were one of the closest to "pure" death metal. They were from New York, but didn't sound as "New York-y" as Suffocation or Incantation, didn't sound Floridian, Swedish, etc. In retrospect I can see more of the connections to later styles, but back then it didn't seem that way. In contrast, Ulcerate always eluded me, and while they've started growing on me a bit, I still don't quite "get" them.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:30 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
It's interesting how many people struggled with Immolation at first. They weren't the first death metal I listened to, but they were earlier on than some, and while they were never one of my particular favorites, I liked them as much as any other non-favorite death metal band, particularly Close To a World Below. If anything, I kind of felt they were one of the closest to "pure" death metal. They were from New York, but didn't sound as "New York-y" as Suffocation or Incantation, didn't sound Floridian, Swedish, etc. In retrospect I can see more of the connections to later styles, but back then it didn't seem that way. In contrast, Ulcerate always eluded me, and while they've started growing on me a bit, I still don't quite "get" them.

I've known Ulcerate since 2010 or so but for some reason I didn't really "get" them until around Shrines of Paralysis. One day they clicked and now they're one of my favorite bands.

Lee Harrison
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:16 pm 

Immolation aren’t an easy listening.myself took ten years,but when you got you’ll’ be rewarded

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:35 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I love Shelton's vocals. I feel like most people who hate them only heard Crystal Logic where he had a cold when doing that album. Listening to Mystification or Open the Gates and I really don't have an issue... plus some of his later vocals have this great deep tone to them that came with age.

I like singers who are weird and have character. Much more important to me than "how many notes can he sing" and all that.

I think it was Open the Gates that he had the cold, if I remember right. Anyway, my favorite Shelton vox are the nasally ones on Crystal Logic. There's a big section of metalheads that don't like vocals with any 'odd' character to them, which just seems...boring to me. But whatever.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:41 pm 

I'd always heard it was Crystal Logic where he was sick. Could be wrong I guess. I like that album too but it's very clear he had other stuff going on vocally even if you listen to earlier tunes like "Cage of Mirrors" or something. At his best, like that song or Mystification or Voyager, he always had a great somber haunting tone.

And yeah I mean I love a good Daniel Heiman or whatever too, but I also like the really weird ones.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:43 pm 

I tend to not like Manilla Road very much. I like precisely 2 albums from them: The Deluge, and Mysterium.

And "The Fountain" is their best song. I will die on this hill.
Currently seeking a way to make money off of these things...

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:48 am 

Timewave Zero is unironically the best Blood Incantation album. Great ambient.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:10 am 

As for Mark Shelton I really only really have a problem with his vocals on the song Necropolis. Any other Manilla Road song I am at worst indifferent to his vocals, but there are plenty of times I really like how he sounds. But on Necropolis, in particular the chorus, he sounds awful.

~Guest 1452000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:42 am 

^ I'm the exact opposite, Necropolis has my favorite vocals I've heard from him. It's such a bizarre voice, with all due respect, and it sounds pretty great to me; especially with how good the song is in general. Epic.

Disclaimer: I've only just begun listening to their early albums.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:22 am 

I also used to think that Mark's vocals are kinda lame (an opinion based purely from listening to Necropolis and Crystal Logic, mind you). But when I checked out Flaming Metal Systems, I was completely blown away; both by Mark's performance and the song itself. Never had an issue with his voice since.

That aside, my unpopular opinion: Covenant is far from the best Morbid Angel album. Altars, Blessed, Formulas and Gateways are all superior to it.

I hope not

kovner1972
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:09 am 

In regard to Morbid Angel: David Vincent >>>> Steve Tucker.

Ace_Rimmer
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:38 am 

I think Shelton's vocals are pretty cool. As said above they have their own character that sets it apart from "generic high note metal singer #3156". But I can understand why some don't like them. I do enjoy then and think Necropolis rips. But I don't mind that kind of vocal, kind of like how I enjoy Billy Corgan's singing with his nasal tone.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:44 am 

kovner1972 wrote:

Do you seriously believe this is an unpopular opinion?

kovner1972
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:43 pm 

DecemberSoul wrote:
kovner1972 wrote:

Pretty much yes.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:01 pm 

kovner1972 wrote:
DecemberSoul wrote:
kovner1972 wrote:

Pretty much yes.

I've never heard anyone ever claim Tucker > Vincent

Burton78
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:01 pm 

Reading some comments against Mark Shelton's voice I can say that it improved over the years. His voice sounded so bad in Crystal Logic but in the following albums he reached a better range imho. Open the gates, The Deluge or Mark of the beast, especially this one, he could give a better performance and deliver so much feeling. I am sure there are worst singers such as Tim Barker from Cirith Ungol and many others.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:10 pm 

Well Mark of the Beast was from before Crystal Logic and they also did have some other albums before CL too. He's just a guy giving the singing thing a shot. Not a virtuoso but I think his voice adds a lot to that band anyway.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:25 pm 

I feel like the appropriate response to the "Mark Shelton's vocals sucked" take is "yes." with that chad meme face.

VaderCrush
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:34 pm 

TheCloudMinder wrote:

the point of uspm is people who sound like they have brain damage singing over good riffs

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:36 pm 

Acts of God is limp. Even the Tears For Fears reunion album is heavier. Immolation have lost the death in their metal.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:52 am 

Burton78 wrote:
Reading some comments against Mark Shelton's voice I can say that it improved over the years. His voice sounded so bad in Crystal Logic but in the following albums he reached a better range imho. Open the gates, The Deluge or Mark of the beast, especially this one, he could give a better performance and deliver so much feeling. I am sure there are worst singers such as Tim Barker from Cirith Ungol and many others.

I feel like Shelton's vocals are part of the charm of Manilla Road. I'm not a mega fan by any means, but his singing certainly makes it obvious that you're listening to MR.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:27 am 

draconiondevil wrote:
I feel like the appropriate response to the "Mark Shelton's vocals sucked" take is "yes." with that chad meme face.

Haha, absolutely. Same with Tim Baker of Cirith Ungol.

Another unpopular opinion (and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who holds this stance): there is nothing wrong whatsoever with the interludes on Nightfall in Middle-Earth.

I hope not

kovner1972
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:55 am 

Speaking of horrendous, puke-inducing, beyond-terrible metal vocalists, King Diamond is the absolute zenith, the king of kings of god awfulness.

Last edited by kovner1972 on Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:57 am 

kovner1972 wrote:
Speaking of horrendous, puke-inducing, beyond-terrible metal vocalists, King Crimson is the absolute zenith, the king of kings of god awfulness.

.........You mean King Diamond, right? And not the prog rock band from the late 60s that did 21st Century Schizoid Man?

kovner1972
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:09 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
kovner1972 wrote:
Speaking of horrendous, puke-inducing, beyond-terrible metal vocalists, King Crimson is the absolute zenith, the king of kings of god awfulness.

.........You mean King Diamond, right? And not the prog rock band from the late 60s that did 21st Century Schizoid Man?

Shit man, thanks for correcting me, I had some cognitive glitch of some sort. King Diamond absolutely, again and again and again.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:41 am 

I find King's vocals irritating on some of his solo works, but his work with Mercyful Fate is killer. An acquired taste most certainly, but still killer.

I hope not

anamelessghoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:19 am 

I agree about King Diamond. I simply can't listen to MF or KD because of his vocals. They ruin perfectly good music

TheCloudMinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:09 pm 

I like King Diamond's vocals but I also recognize that they are inferior to most heavy/power metal singers. Falsetto is incredibly easy to achieve compared to high-ranged vocals in full voice.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:41 pm 

The Bard with Bright Eyes wrote:
draconiondevil wrote:

Another unpopular opinion (and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who holds this stance): there is nothing wrong whatsoever with the interludes on Nightfall in Middle-Earth.

Nothing inherently "wrong" with them, they're just dumb and 'in the way'.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:44 pm 

anamelessghoul wrote:
I agree about King Diamond. I simply can't listen to MF or KD because of his vocals. They ruin perfectly good music

Funny thing: Ive been a fan since 1985 and, for a while, KD/MF was my absolutely fav artist by a wide margin.
But in recent years, I'm having a harder time enjoying his vocals, especially on some of his mid 90s solo albums, where he essentially became a parody of himself (Graveyard, in particular).
I still love him, but do find myself cringing every now and then. LOL

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:50 pm 

The Bard with Bright Eyes wrote:

Another unpopular opinion (and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who holds this stance): The Lord of the Rings is a pernicious confirmation of the values of a declining nation with a morally bankrupt class whose cowardly self-protection is primarily responsible for the problems England answered with the ruthless logic of Thatcherism. Humanity was derided and marginalised. Sentimentality became the acceptable subsitute. So few people seem to be able to tell the difference.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:56 pm 

King Diamond is great too. Especially on Mercyful Fate - a great theatrical narrator.

Nightfall in Middle Earth just isn't all that great of an album really.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:06 pm 

^^ how does that have anything to do with the music? And the interludes are fine, you can just skip over if you don't like them.

No. No am not.

Burton78
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:07 pm 

King Diamond voice fits so well in his career as King Diamond band. Horror stories such as Abigail or Them, needed a terryfying or scary vocals like only Kim knows how to does it. I can understand at some point that someone cannot connect wirh his screams or falsetto. In my case I always love his voice no matter whether I am listening to Mercyful Fate or King Diamond. He is not only a great singer but also an amazing artista, player, etc. Talking about singers who sound like him, I can't hear Candlemass due to vibrato. I know many people consider Candlemass a huge doom band but that voice does not help me at all. I had forgotten his name, Im talking about Messiah Marcolin of course.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 106  Next