Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:23 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Hey, does anyone know which Mastodon album is good for beginners? I've finally decided to get around to listening to them, but I'm not really sure where to start.

Start with either their 1997 release, "The Number of the Beast", or their 1973 debut, "Don't Break the Oath". At all costs, you must avoid their mid 80s 'glam' period, spearheaded by the dreadful & amateurish "Hysteria".

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:54 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
If you want to listen to an older album start with Blood Mountain, if you want to start with a newer one start with Once More 'Round the Sun.

I've heard some great things about both albums, so I'll definitely check them out later tonight.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:26 pm 

This is the same thing as I brought up with CoB: If your music is zero aggressive, why use growled vocals. It's just half assed neither this, nor that. I don't fault Michael Amott though, this is their day job, it pays the bills.
Listen to Spiritual Beggars instead. Great music, but that band doesn't draw any female listeners, or simps with money to spend.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:30 pm 

That riff has gotta be plagiarized but I can't think of the original song.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:56 am 

OK, I've been overly generous with these guys, didn't hate any of the previous singles - I found them maybe uninspired and derivative (three singles in a row where the vocals start with a scream, guys?), at worst, but they were mostly decent, easily digestible metal - but this one is really, really mellow. It's embarrassing, in fact. In my listen, it was sandwiched between the new Soilwork single and a Kreator song, and there was just a huge drop in everything. It's not aggressive, but it's also not catchy or fun or poppy or just anything. The best that I can say about this song is that it exists.

I was listening to it and wondered how they came around to making this song, and I felt second-hand embarassment for them.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:39 am 

new single is absolutely horrific. what. on. earth?

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:30 am 

The whole CD isn't much better. There aren't any hidden gems; the Watcher is the only good non-single song, and it's not going to change anyone's mind about the CD. The rest is weak and uninspired. I didn't dislike the first four singles, but there's nothing really better on the final product, and I find the pacing of the whole thing to be a slog - meaning the parts that aren't as effective don't find new life by their placement on the album. They should drop the harsh vocals and go full heavy metal.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:05 pm 

It's a single now.

Overall, again a more approachable album, painfully bland production, a couple of neat things here and there (the bass intro to Sunset Over the Empire, the Bolt Thrower-inspired riff in Deceiver, Deceiver). Could have done without the clean vocals all over the place. But I suspect that's the direction they are going to go in the future--more cleans, less growls. Almost all songs have parts I like and parts I don't care for. The highlights for me are House of Mirrors and The Watcher.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:48 am 

I listened to it the other day and generally enjoyed it. While the songs blended one into the other, and there wasn't much different from any previous Arch Enemy album in recent years, the songs were energetic and well-executed. The clean vocals didn't bother me at all and provided some nice contrast. Alyssa is a good singer and I'm glad she was able to use more styles and range.

I'm under no illusions that this isn't still just fist-pumping festival metal at this point, but when up against the latest Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy was the definite winner as far as still being somewhat exciting and entertaining to listen to.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:25 am 

CoffeeCat wrote:
I'm under no illusions that this isn't still just fist-pumping festival metal at this point, but when up against the latest Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy was the definite winner as far as still being somewhat exciting and entertaining to listen to.

Now that's just plain wrong. AE's album was such a borefest, I'd choose the worst song off of The Great Heathen Army over anything off Deceivers any day.

pyratebastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:41 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Slater922 wrote:
Hey, does anyone know which Mastodon album is good for beginners? I've finally decided to get around to listening to them, but I'm not really sure where to start.

Start with either their 1997 release, "The Number of the Beast", or their 1973 debut, "Don't Break the Oath". At all costs, you must avoid their mid 80s 'glam' period, spearheaded by the dreadful & amateurish "Hysteria".

I wouldn't totally discount their 80s discography - the Self-Titled and Iowa albums still stand the test of time, after all.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:36 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Now that's just plain wrong. AE's album was such a borefest, I'd choose the worst song off of The Great Heathen Army over anything off Deceivers any day.

Okay?

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:14 pm 

CoffeeCat wrote:
Slater922 wrote:

Okay?

Alright, that might've came off as a bit bad-faith. Still, though, I generally found TGHA to be a stronger album than Deceivers. Not that there's anything wrong with liking Deceivers, but it just wasn't my thing, really.

nephilim80
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:10 am 

Such a forgettable album. Listened to it a couple of times and moved on.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:37 pm 

I just realized, they literally released more than half the album as singles before the actual album release.

Ludorff
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:53 pm 

Ammot's solo at the 4:39 mark of Handshake with Hell is very similar to the one from In Flames' "The Hive" (3:18). Both sound good. The Hive is a way better song though.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5