* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:36 pm 

matras wrote:
Curious_dead wrote:
In the case of Nergal, there are people who attempted to silence him, though. It's not like Ted Cruz whining that a conservative troll has been kicked off twitter because they were a dick and broke the TOS or Shen Bapiro claiming to his m llions od followers that he's being silenced by antifa thugs; the government and church literally tried Nergal for his speech. But I think he won't make the distinction because "cancel culture" is a buzzword and that'll garner him more attention these days than if he says "the church is trying to silence me", and that's what he wants: attention.

Don't know enough about Nemtheanga to judge; I remember reading his columns in Zero Tolerance a few years ago and thinking, "man, this guy sounds like a dick".

Being censored by a religious institution is not the same as as getting flak on social media for edgy defending of nazis. Let's not mix up apples and pears by conflating the two.

That's exactly what I said, though.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:38 pm 

I think most of us can agree that Nergal is a cringy tryhard edgelord who appeals to the same kind of people who would have had a Disturbed or Avenged Sevenfold reference in their gamertag and Alucard or Kenpachi Zaraki in their profile pic ten years ago who were always dropping hard-R N-words and demanding that female players make them sandwiches.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:43 pm 

matras wrote:
Nergal and Nemtheanga are the kind of dudes who could stand on a scene during a spoken word tour, and claim before a packed auditorium that they're currently being silenced.

This is absolutely true, and the baffling part is that when I first got into Primordial and Behemoth in the mid-2000s, both of these dudes seemed to have the reputation of being well-read/educated and eloquent figures in extreme metal. Am I wrong? Was I just a teenager at the time and so it seemed this way? In the case of Nergal, I think social media has proven to be a nightmare for his ego. Nemtheanga tragically seems to have even more right-wing leangings based on some of the crap I've noticed him blather about on his podcast. I'm not exactly sure where Nergal stands -- mostly I just view him as an attention-seeking edgelord.

As for Behemoth the band, yeah the last album was a dud and this single isn't much. I did just catch them on their current tour, though, and they crushed live. I guess they're just one of those bands now whose back catalogue I'll cherish but whose current stuff I'll most likely ignore. We'll see. They'll always have Demigod to their name.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:04 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
I guess when he says "cancel culture" he must be referring to stuff like time that time he was accused of sexually assaulting a groupie in a bus at Spain with his pals and he didn't even deny it so he got flak for it.

https://toiletovhell.com/lets-remember- ... l-assault/

What the hell? I didn't even know about this until just now. Fucking gross.

This is really fucking gross. How cavalier he is about it. Not sure if that fits into his Satanic world view (do what thou wilt kind of thing - I know that’s Thelema and not Satanic, but there are parallels - with libertarians and “fountain head” ideology as well).

But yeah. Awful. Fuck him and fuck his band.

No wonder he’s so against cancel culture. Makes sense. MeToo is inconvenient for him.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:24 am 

Behemoth releasing new music always intrigues me but I honestly only return to two of their albums (Evangelion and The Satanist). I will check this new album out and I hope it will be great but realistically I think it will be good but not memorable (like most of their discography sounds like to my ears).

Razakel wrote:
matras wrote:
Nergal and Nemtheanga are the kind of dudes who could stand on a scene during a spoken word tour, and claim before a packed auditorium that they're currently being silenced.

This is absolutely true, and the baffling part is that when I first got into Primordial and Behemoth in the mid-2000s, both of these dudes seemed to have the reputation of being well-read/educated and eloquent figures in extreme metal. Am I wrong? Was I just a teenager at the time and so it seemed this way? In the case of Nergal, I think social media has proven to be a nightmare for his ego. Nemtheanga tragically seems to have even more right-wing leangings based on some of the crap I've noticed him blather about on his podcast. I'm not exactly sure where Nergal stands -- mostly I just view him as an attention-seeking edgelord.

I think they are quite well read but that doesn't mean you have to agree with the conclusions they make. Well read doesn't mean everyone will arrive at the same "good" ideology.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

klaar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:37 am 

Behemoth it's not about music anymore. Not about riffs, brutality, good sound, production, lyrics...it is not.
Now it's just about the aesthetics and concept and video clips bla bla bla. I didn't even like The Satanist. Evangelion was the creative pinnacle. Every song now sounds the same slurred and boring thing.
It's sad because it's always been one of my favorite bands. But, in my opinion, it's done.

Bogdaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:23 pm 

Behemoth is my all-time favorite band, but this new song does absolutely nothing for me after multiple listens. And this is coming from someone who really enjoyed ILYAYD. I remember seeing Behemoth back in 2018 a few months before they released ILYAYD and they played "Wolves of Siberia", which I thought was great. Fast forward - I just saw them a few weeks ago, and they played this new song live; also didn't do anything for me, even seeing it live. The rest of the show was absolutely killer, though. Hoping the rest of the album is better than this.

Ukrajijajajana
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 5:01 pm 

I don't think the song was bad but I probably wouldn't have chosen to lead the album with this as a single. See, I need to listen to it's position on the album to be a better judge. Perhaps it makes perfect sense with regards to the pacing of the album especially if we start off fast then take the foot off the gas pedal for a bit. Almost seems like it would be a transitionary song. Nothing wrong with that. Looking forward to hearing the album in its entirety, to see if what I said now is correct or totally off-base.

As for the sexual-assault allegations, or the creepy attitude towards women, I think that there are people here in denial that some of this stuff is hard-baked into the rock/metal touring lifestyle. I have yet to experience any tour, whether personally or through acquaintances, whether there was not some instance of partying and sleeping with fans. Tour bus shenanegans, all sorts of stuff. Perhaps when you're modern day Iron Maiden and you are married, have a family, and can't afford to have more than a beer after the show or else the next day's show is shit, then that kind of stuff doesn't happen. Or perhaps if you're Mortification, or if you're in a straightedge hardcore band, but come on, in the black / death metal scene? Now I'm not condoning any type of criminal act, but there is no evidence that something like that has actually occurred.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 3:53 am 

Ukrajijajajana wrote:
As for the sexual-assault allegations, or the creepy attitude towards women, I think that there are people here in denial that some of this stuff is hard-baked into the rock/metal touring lifestyle. I have yet to experience any tour, whether personally or through acquaintances, whether there was not some instance of partying and sleeping with fans. Tour bus shenanegans, all sorts of stuff. Perhaps when you're modern day Iron Maiden and you are married, have a family, and can't afford to have more than a beer after the show or else the next day's show is shit, then that kind of stuff doesn't happen. Or perhaps if you're Mortification, or if you're in a straightedge hardcore band, but come on, in the black / death metal scene? Now I'm not condoning any type of criminal act, but there is no evidence that something like that has actually occurred.

Let me make a tldr- summary here:
It's hard-coded into the touring lifestyle, and you haven't heard of, or experienced any instance it hasn't happened. Also there's no proof it ever happened.
Sounds ... legit.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 4:53 am 

I just find it incredibly sad that no one really wants to talk about the music anymore. It's all about allegations, social media, merchandise curiosities, whatever...modern times, I guess.

That new song is OK (the video production is quite amazingly well done, though), but not nearly as memorable as some of the top-songs from the last album. I'd also love to hear a new take on "Demigod" or even "Evangelion" but these days seem to be over. Behemoth were the last band I saw live in 2019 and that show was absolutely incredible! I'll definitely give that new album a chance but I'm not expecting them to be prime Behemoth again all of a sudden.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork plays: Oomph! - Ice Coffin - NEW 2022 cover!
Adder's Fork - The Fatalist (A Coming Dark) - music video!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

klaar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:46 am 

https://youtu.be/X6Am7xlsmk8

New single "Off to war".

I have no hope anymore. This album will be worst than ILYAYD...

jdmunyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:45 am 

The beginning riff vaguely reminded of "Conquer All" or maybe something else off of "Demigod", and that track does have more energy than the first single... but it's still just so boring and tame.

Bogdaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:49 am 

Another boring and by-the-numbers song that does nothing for me. Not a good sign at all for this album.

ironman8008
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:59 am 

This band was done like 15 years already.

Lee Harrison
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:23 am 

For me most important thing is the fuckin music I don’t know what do Nergal and I don’t care…

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:06 am 

Ovv to War, surely.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:38 am 

I like it. Not exactly original or groundbreaking, but it carries the energy from The Satanist more than ILYAYD. The solo seems a bit out of place, but the part after it is chaotic, in a good way.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:23 am 

I don't mind it, but this is probably the most upbeat Behemoth song I've heard in years. But despite that, it's still pretty meh. Some good melodic ideas but it doesn't feel like the song really goes anywhere compositionally, and the riffs don't slam hard enough to make up for it.

At this point Behemoth feels like it's turned into one of those legacy bands that is just going to keep playing increasingly diluted retreads of its most commercially successful material forever.

Maggot penetration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:53 am 

Good track, good video (those ladies got cancelled), cover looks fine

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:33 pm 

Definitely feeling the new track more than the other. I will hold of judgement till I hear the whole thing.

LilTito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:50 am 

The only thing Behemoth have been consistent over the years is their shitty music videos.

As for the new track, for some reason i like A LOT better than the previous, imo Behemoth always sounds better at a slower pace and also i hear some psychedelic element in this song which is always welcome. BUT, the energy in the performance is so fucking low on testosterone, like what the fuck happened?

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:46 am 

Pretty boring if you ask me. I just don't get how could they write their best (The Satainst) and then whatever I Loved You at Your Darkest was. This new one is going to be really bland stuff again.

Maggot penetration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:43 am 

Whilst the Catholic Church still has power in Poland, it's probably preferable to have some relgious institution that nobody cares about and that simply embarrasses itself by showing how scared it is of music/lyrics to go after you in many places than some riled up anonymous people who spread rumours that may float around for years online. Most people are not particularly smart, that's why we generally use highly educated judges (who apply mainstream law) and not 15 year olds who post from their mum's basement when we put people on trial

Example, this band/guy that I came across earlier doesn't seem too impressed with a rumour that supposedly started her

Quote:

How did you cope with the rumours Deinonychus to be a Nazi band after the release of ‘Warfare Machines’?
Here I have to answer the same thing as above, this also was mentioned at Encyclopaedia Metallum-The Metal Archives website. Never after the release of ‘Warfare Machines’ I have been accused of anything. Only the German Bundesprüfstelle für Jugendeschütze Medien were sceptical about the lyrics and first banned the cd for three weeks in German speaking countries such as Germany, Austria and Switzerland, but they took the ban back, as they saw that there was no conclusive reason to do so. ‘Warfare Machines’ in no way is offensive or political disputable. Of course one could take offense in it, when approach the album with a narrow view. But isn’t that always with more or less WWII thematics?

Where did those rumours originate?
I only know one website which clearly has put this out as a rumor, I can’t read anything anywhere else? The Encyclopaedia Metallum-The Metal Archives website!
https://lordsofmetalarchive.nl/nl/interviews/view/id/6290

jdmunyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:55 am 

"The Deathless Sun":

In one ear and out the other, but it does have some energy. Just a shame to feel so apathetic about Behemoth after loving so much of their stuff.

Bogdaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:43 am 

Easily my favorite single of the three released so far. Seems like a better structured song and feels more energetic than the previous two. Not bad. I feel this one will grow on me.

klaar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:13 am 

jdmunyon wrote:
"The Deathless Sun":

In one ear and out the other, but it does have some energy. Just a shame to feel so apathetic about Behemoth after loving so much of their stuff.

I can't understand the musical direction Nergal wants to take
Behemoth. It's confusing to my ears. I can't feel what these songs are. What is the musical message let's say. Same feeling I had with the last record, it sounds soulless. I know it's not bad, but I can't feel anything about what's been presented so far.

Pizzasmasher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:21 pm 

Razakel wrote:
matras wrote:

As for Behemoth the band, yeah the last album was a dud and this single isn't much. I did just catch them on their current tour, though, and they crushed live. I guess they're just one of those bands now whose back catalogue I'll cherish but whose current stuff I'll most likely ignore. We'll see. They'll always have Demigod to their name.

May i ask what Nemtheanga said on his podcast that went in a right-wing-cirection? Im not very familiar with him or prmordial (boring) but since i did discover that i partly like his "sideproject" (dread sovereign) i would like to know more about it.

jdmunyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:46 am 

Another one:

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:21 pm 

It's shaping to be a much better album than I Loved You at Your Darkest but the songs are nowhere near as good as anything on The Satanist.

Grimnic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:42 pm 

Nergel is absolutely right though, there is no more rebellion. Just people conforming to the hysteria of the times as foot soldiers for the status quo.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:54 pm 

New songs sound cool to me, but then again I liked their last album too which doesn't seem to be too popular here. I've never really understood the hate that one seems to get here tbh.

nephilim80
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:30 am 

This last track has some Satanica vibes. Nergal's vocals specially. But i'm not a fan of the production here. The snare is almost inaudible until the slower section kicks in.

kovner1972
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:52 am 

By_Inheritance wrote:
New songs sound cool to me, but then again I liked their last album too which doesn't seem to be too popular here. I've never really understood the hate that one seems to get here tbh.

The masses and what they think of certain music are never a standard of quality either way. It may sound as somewhat corny and cliche to you, but fuck what everybody thinks and just walk your own way. Story of my life.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:44 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
I think most of us can agree that Nergal is a cringy tryhard edgelord who appeals to the same kind of people who would have had a Disturbed or Avenged Sevenfold reference in their gamertag and Alucard or Kenpachi Zaraki in their profile pic ten years ago who were always dropping hard-R N-words and demanding that female players make them sandwiches.

This is pretty poetic and basically spot-on. Speaking of which...

Grimnic wrote:
Nergel is absolutely right though, there is no more rebellion. Just people conforming to the hysteria of the times as foot soldiers for the status quo.

Yes, yes. Things are so much worse now than *checks notes* every other time in history. Thank god (Satan?) we have Nergal to show us the light though :roll:

By_Inheritance wrote:

There's nothing mysterious to understand here man. It boils down to "people like different things". Surely you're not trying to argue that ILYAYD sounds the same as early or mid era Behemoth? It doesn't even sound like The Satanist, which is fine, it just means whoever says they don't like it don't like the new direction.

kovner1972 wrote:
The masses and what they think of certain music are never a standard of quality either way. It may sound as somewhat corny and cliche to you, but fuck what everybody thinks and just walk your own way. Story of my life.

How brave of you! And how silly of the masses at, um, Metal-Archives!

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:38 am 

I'll listen to the full album when it's out, but I don't have a ton of expectations for being blown away. Most of the great riffs and intensity have left the band over the past few releases, and it doesn't seem like they're coming back this time. I still enjoy the dark atmosphere, but I don't think it's enough to sustain my interest.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:12 am 

Frank Booth wrote:

Holy shit, this is good. :lol: The sad thing is that up until Evangelion or so, he (and by extension Behemoth as an artistic unit) just felt like skillfully-produced, over-the-top, hard-hitting death metal with some cool Satanic themes and a unique sense of theatricality. I know some people found the whole Thelema/occultism stuff annoying, but it was at least unique (at the time) and I'd be lying if I said it didn't resonate with me as a hormone-addled 19 year old. But something changed in the time between Evangelion and The Satanist.

Plus their aesthetic now looks like, as I heard described elsewhere, "Ghost but a little harder."

~Guest 1452000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:12 pm 

^ That's a great way to describe it. After Evangelion they basically became Ghost. Such a sad way to go out for a great band like Behemoth but hey, if it pays the bills then more power to them. I know a lot of people like the new sound.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:10 pm 

I'm gonna be honest, apart from references to satanism, I just don't see it. One is a death/black metal act trying hard to be taken seriously as anti-God/Satanism, the other is a goofball heavy metal/antehm rock band that sing tongue-in-cheek about Satan, vampires, rats, witches, horror movies and various other things (sex, often it's sex). One, it could be argued, is overly serious including in its art style and look, the other embraces the kitsch and the cheese. The only thing I see is that they're both successful bands who have some lyrical themses in common...

One cannot even argue that The Satanist is them selling out, it was a stylistical change that has a lot of soul behind it, and is more sincere than anything else they've released since, and more sincere than most of Ghost's music...

~Guest 1452000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:28 pm 

They sold out their sound and image to appeal to casual fans, similar to what Ghost is all about. I really do see the similarity and find it lamentable, even if I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with it.

* I could very well be biased as The Satanist is absolute dogshit to me and I haven't bothered with anything that came after.

Last edited by ~Guest 1452000 on Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:36 pm 

I don't really have much stake in the selling out argument - I was referring mostly to how a visual aspect, i.e. how costumes/set pieces/promo pics in ornate costumes against elaborate set pieces seems to be just as much a part of Behemoth's marketing these days as the actual music. Sure, they've always had some manner of stage costume going back to the "white body paint and armor" look that started with Demigod(?), but I'd swear every time I check in on the band these days they've released a dozen more photos with varying flavors of the "religious garb dragged through an oil refinery" look. And I love me some visual flair in my extreme metal - the issue for me here is that the frequency of the aforementioned seems to be directly related to the downward trend in their music starting with ILYAYD (I agree that The Satanist was still pretty good) - you can't help but think that Nergal's putting more effort into their visuals than the actual music.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next