Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic

When did you first hear about/start using M-A?
2002-2003 - I'm a true OG! 12%  12%  [ 60 ]
2004-2008 - Early member 46%  46%  [ 225 ]
2009-2014 - Veteran user 27%  27%  [ 131 ]
2015-2019 - I'm in the new guard 8%  8%  [ 40 ]
2020-2022 - I'm a pandemic baby! 5%  5%  [ 23 ]
I'm so old, I can't even remember 2%  2%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 487
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
xerocitizen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:46 am 

Just a reader here (sort of hypo-lurker ?)
Discovered the encyclopædia metallum years ago, still a daily, invaluable, unique, precise and solid, serious database.
I hope the site will be here and enriched as long as i can read on a computer ! Cheers !

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:28 am 

I'm lurking and reading a lot. I'm here almost every day and conversation never seems to run dry.

There is no metal website/source more important than this one here. Thank you for all these years.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork plays: Oomph! - Ice Coffin - NEW 2022 cover!
Adder's Fork - The Fatalist (A Coming Dark) - music video!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:05 am 

thewrll wrote:
Over an overstatement, a lurker has to at least contribute.

That's not what lurker means, also, who cares, let's not be petty against lurkers, they're fine!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Nacrophagous
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:49 am 

Congratulations! Go on for the next 20 years.

Forever Underground
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:11 am 

Congratulations for the 20 years to the best site that shows the love/obsession that only music like this can provoke (in a good way).

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:07 am 

Congrats! Discovered the site around 2010 or so. But didn’t join the forums until a few years later. This is still the best Metal related website.

NecrodevilEvilous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:46 am 

Metal Archives is one of my favourite websites ever! Really like the accuracy of the data - and your policy of being true to the historical aspect of the data and not allowing to rewrite the history - much respect for it!

Discovered MA back in 2004 during my school years, created an account in early 2005 - and really proud to be a contributor to the Archives all this time! Actually doing it all not for the point, but to help other people to explore the correct historical/musical info - but can't believe I'm a "metal demon" now :D

Thank you again so much for all you're doing - to all the staff, contributors - and of course to Morrigan and Hellblazer - guys, really love you!
MA really changed the music world - and it's one of the most valuable databases on this Earth!

Congratulations once again!..

Stormrider
The Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:07 pm 

20 years already? Who would have thought in the early days that M-A would be destined to be the primary source for "our" music even twenty years later?

Even though i'm not active anymore i have fond memories of the early days ... first band submitted in early August 2002 .... and alot more input to follow until my farewell around 2015 or so. And even though i'm just a user in the now time i'd like to congratulate Morrigan and Hellblazer for starting this place and all the contributers and Mods for carrying this project to where it is today.

All the best for the next 20 (?) ..... 50 (?) or who knows 100 (?) years!!!!!

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/stormrider
http://connect.collectorz.com/users/stormrider/music
https://www.facebook.com/EdenLiesObscured

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:44 pm 

Stormrider wrote:
20 years already? Who would have thought in the early days that M-A would be destined to be the primary source for "our" music even twenty years later?

Even though i'm not active anymore i have fond memories of the early days ... first band submitted in early August 2002 .... and alot more input to follow until my farewell around 2015 or so. And even though i'm just a user in the now time i'd like to congratulate Morrigan and Hellblazer for starting this place and all the contributers and Mods for carrying this project to where it is today.

Heyyyy been a while, nice to see you again dude! <3 I will never forget your massive contributions back in the day. Glad to see you still kicking around.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:03 pm 

I don't remember exactly when I -found- this site but I know I joined not very long after I found it; either way, it's been a bit over 7 years at this point. It's been an interesting ride here, to say the least.

Part of that is the impact MA had on me directly - facilitating a the rapid formation and expansion of my musical taste, as well as being a community I could in some minute way be a part of (which is not something I'd felt often at that point) - but even more is the indirect consequences being here has had. Some of my oldest online friends are people I met through this site, and I grew immeasurably as a person thanks to that in many many respects (as well as many external factors, though said growth meant I approached them differently to how I would have when I was younger.) And to link it back to the first point, it also greatly expanded my musical palette even further. This is what's made it such an interesting few years... I'm a fairly different person now than I was in 2015, and this site is a huge reason why.

Here's to another 20 years. :headbang:

KaiKasparek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:46 pm 

xerocitizen wrote:
Just a reader here (sort of hypo-lurker ?)
Discovered the encyclopædia metallum years ago, still a daily, invaluable, unique, precise and solid, serious database.
I hope the site will be here and enriched as long as i can read on a computer ! Cheers !

The previous lurker with only 2 posts just got beat. We should subtitle xerocitizen "King of the Lurkers."
At one time they rocked,
They started to suck,
But at least they would always be memorable.

totalthrash
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:19 pm 

Been here for 15 years, obviously more of a lurker since I only have 20 posts in 15 years but I enjoy reading the topics
and seeing other people's opinions on metal related subjects.

I registered in 2007 but actually wasnt aware of the forum until 4-5 years later probably. I initially registered at the site
to enter my cd collection into the site and then discovered the forum years later.

I discovered metal archives through a link at BNR metal pages.

I go to the site basically everyday and it is always my first check when I hear a new band that I might be interested in.

The metal archives is easily the best metal resource on the internet and there really isnt anything even remotely close.

Grisly Bare
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:23 am 

Jarnroth wrote:
since I loved playing as Stronghold in Heroes of Might and Magic III, and their top tier unit is Behemoth.

This game (and its expansion pack to get the Conflux town) is one of the best computer games ever made in my opinion. I'm actually teaching my son how to play it and he likes the Stronghold town as well.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:36 am 

Funny how I open this topic and one of my favorite games seems to follow me even in here^ :p

Anyway, congratulations! I'm a (near) old timer here it seems. Haven't been posting frequently at all but I've been using the archives since forever. Here's to another 20 years at least.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Stormrider
The Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:17 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Stormrider wrote:

Heyyyy been a while, nice to see you again dude! <3 I will never forget your massive contributions back in the day. Glad to see you still kicking around.

Yeah i'm still alive, though it's getting harder and harder to hide my grey hair i guess ;-)

Nowadays i'm just a user of the website, more frequently again as i might add, since i don't think i can contribute much anymore. Back in the days when the database was fresh it was more like a blank canvas and i think i was the right person to fill the canvas with lines and colours by adding bands and other info, which nowadays is not really the case anymore, since the information value of M-A has grown so immensly over the years that i don't have much to add i guess.

So instead of putting knowledge in i'm in the lucky situation to draw knowledge from the website whenever i find out about bands that might be interesting for me. You guys have created something valuable and i certainly hope the users as a whole will keep up the good work.

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/stormrider
http://connect.collectorz.com/users/stormrider/music
https://www.facebook.com/EdenLiesObscured

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:34 pm 

Started lurking around 2006 and posting/reviewing around 2009. It's been great to see how the site's culture and features have changed over time while still keeping some of that "old internet" spirit!

I also can't stress how integral this site has been to my experience as a musician and getting into local music scenes in general. When I first moved to Indianapolis in 2011, the first thing I did was use the advance search feature to look up active bands in the area relevant to my subgenre interests and check their social media links for any upcoming shows. I still use this technique for determining for establishing contacts for gigs in other regions. The Similar Artists tab has also been integral in one of my more niche genre deep dives. Thanks for giving us underground types so many resources to work with!

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:34 pm 

First learned about this site from a couple of members on the Meshuggah forum.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:40 pm 

First started using the archives somewhere between the 04-08 region (this site and ANUS.com were 2 of the biggest sources for discovering music) didn't sign up untill 09 though...

I may have signed up to use the forums after the Australian based Roadrunner owned "metalshop forums" shut...bit hazy on that front.

Still a huge asset for discovering new music and keeping on top of what's happening in the metal world.

g4freeman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:12 am 

It's really hard to think of a single day in 18 years that I DID NOT visit MA. Long Live Metal Archives!

LoveableFetus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:25 am 

Space_alligator wrote:
First started using the archives somewhere between the 04-08 region (this site and ANUS.com were 2 of the biggest sources for discovering music) didn't sign up untill 09 though...

I may have signed up to use the forums after the Australian based Roadrunner owned "metalshop forums" shut...bit hazy on that front.

Still a huge asset for discovering new music and keeping on top of what's happening in the metal world.

Do you remember a website active in the mid 2000’s think it was netherlands based all it had was BM/DM albums with super primitive reviews And you had to message the domain master and get vetted to be able to post comments . It bad a black layout with blue and yellow Fonts. Anybody know what im talking about ?

Dsharpdim
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:53 am 

Congratulations on the first 20 years!

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:43 pm 

20 year - fuck me. I started using Metal Archives in highschool and made my account a couple years later. It's been a wild ride but one I'm so happy I've had. Thank you everyone for every little (and big!) additions you've made over the last two decades!

Worked
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:44 am 

Wow 20 years. Congratulations MA, even though I haven't posted in a decade I still visit semi regularly any time I need to check out a metal band or find album reviews. Thanks to all the staff and admins for the sustained hard work over a long, long time!

decapitashaun
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:14 pm 

I discovered this site in either 2005 or 06, which quickly became a daily habit of searching for new bands and labels. Recently I decided to actually create an account, as it makes sense to contribute to a community that over the years has supplied me with one of the great resources for music I have ever known. The amount of information I have gained (let alone shared with others) is absolutely immense. To everyone that has contributed to this place, from the founders and early users (especially the ones that wrote/continue to submit reviews) to those who are new, I cannot express my gratitude, thanks and appreciation enough.

Cheers

Eternal_sunset
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:42 pm 

I first discovered the site in 2019 as I was getting more and more into metal music in high school. By then I was into a couple well-known bands of the scene like some Iron Maiden tracks and Sabaton (an absolute newbie, yeah), and I remember one day while looking for some info about a Stratovarius album, I found a thread of MA discussing the musical aspects of it and the changes the band's went through over time. The exchange of ideas between the users interested me, although I didn't agree with all of them. I registered some months later in 2020, and slowly I started diving into what the site had to offer. Since then I discovered many, MANY bands and my understanding of metal music as a whole has widened to a point I couldn't even imagine when I first joined.

20 years... Wow, just a year older than me! I have to both congratulate and thank the creators and the mods for maintaining such a complete, useful and wonderful site as this. Even though I don't post regularly and I'm more the lurker type, I frequent the main page and the forum almost every day. Thank you very much, really. If I hadn't found this site, I'm sure my knowledge about metal would be much, much more limited and I wouldn't know many of the bands I came to discover here. In that regard it truly illuminated me (and still does).

Happy 20 years to the Metal-Archives. Reading much older users' experiences already makes me feel old, haha. Keep it up everyone!

Firmament1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:43 am 

I don't use this site as often as I did when I was really early into metal (Which was only 2 years ago), but regardless, that time was absolutely invaluable for me. Great website.

S9NE wrote:
I went from an ignorant teenager to a slightly less ignorant moderator in the span of 10 years. It's been a blast so far, especially when bands show their gratitude for getting submitted to the site. One time a band even sent their EP to me as thanks. People usually talk about MA as this very close-minded and elitist sect, but it's been one of the most welcoming and wholesome communities I've been part of, so I don't know where I'd be without it.

I concur. This forum is definitely one of the best places to have a conversation about metal online. Also:
Spoiler: show
Have I just spotted a fellow Precure fan on the archives? Excellent taste.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:22 am 

looks like my forum profile was created january 2011, but i was using the site for many years before that - definitely by 2005 at the latest (since that's when i moved out from my parents'), but i really can't remember more specifically than that :confused:

RyffHyena
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:55 pm 

I started using this website around 2010 in high school when I was still a baby metalhead, and I've been using it as my source of band information ever since. This website grew my tastes in ways that cannot be replicated by anyone else. I used it to find all active metal bands in Wisconsin where I used to live to seek out local bands so I can go to local/underground shows and be active in my scene. Just the other day I finally sat down and did the same thing in the place I live in now and already found a local black metal show to go to in a few weeks and finally be part of my current local scene after about 3 years of not going to any metal shows.

wEEman33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:25 pm 

one of our staff members decided to plug the site on a (sadly now defunct) public metal forum, and thus opened the floodgates.

The first I heard of M-A was when Morrigan mentioned it in The Next Level's metal thread.

Is that the forum you're referencing?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:33 am 

wEEman33 wrote:
one of our staff members decided to plug the site on a (sadly now defunct) public metal forum, and thus opened the floodgates.

The first I heard of M-A was when Morrigan mentioned it in The Next Level's metal thread.

Is that the forum you're referencing?

Hahaha that takes me back, but no. The Next Level was a video game forum, not a metal forum. The metal forum was on Metal-Rules.com.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:32 pm 

I remember a friend introduced me to MA way back, probably in 2006 or 2007. He would use it to fill in missing cover photos in his digital pirated pornogrind collection - I specifically remember him searching up Vulvathrone.

Hitmen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:06 am 

Thank you for keeping this site alive and running for so long. My formative metal years got a huge kick start from browsing this site, particularly from reviewers whose taste I aligned with (thanks ultraboris). I still use MA almost every day and I appreciate the time and effort and money that everyone running and contributing to this place has put in over these 2 decades.

Mizheria
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:07 am 

I remember being in highschool, surfing on MA looking at most underground and obscure bands and then trying to find ANY form of their music on the internet. It also helped me to discover many new bands and projects by artists in well known bands. That's how I got my hands on the Quorthon - Purity of Essence album, which I probably wouldn't know existed.

DeathByTheSword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:48 am 

Man I can't believe it's been that long, I have fond memories of this website and forum from way back, mostly during my highschool years. I'm not really active in the forums at all anymore and only come around to check info and recs on bands but it's crazy to come on here and see there's still a bunch of usernames I recognize from 14 years ago still posting here, but also that there's so many new members around.

LilTito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:30 pm 

Mizheria wrote:
I remember being in highschool, surfing on MA looking at most underground and obscure bands and then trying to find ANY form of their music on the internet. It also helped me to discover many new bands and projects by artists in well known bands. That's how I got my hands on the Quorthon - Purity of Essence album, which I probably wouldn't know existed.

Exactly the same with me here, haha

DeathRipper666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:42 pm 

[122] Found about MA back in 2013! Since then it's been by far the best Metal site to find anything about any band in the world! Amazing and always gonna support the site!!!

GOREG4SM
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:39 pm 

I don't post very often, but I use the site daily. Really appreciate the history of metal archives and just wanted to say "thanks".

Infinite_dreamer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:37 am 

Wow, 20 years, Congrats! Can't think how long I've used this site for, probably something like since 2005
Have lost count of the amount of bands I've discovered here, by looking at the Similar Bands link, seeing what other bands members of a certain band are in, or the namedrops in reviews!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, heres to the next 20 years! \m/

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:21 pm 

I was using MA just to look up bands back in 2002 when I was downloading stuff through dial-up on winmx and soulseek. I would look through people's collections on Soulseek and find a name that sounded interesting, then look it up on MA and pretty much only download it if it was some sort of black metal. Can't remember when I started looking at the forums, and obviously didn't sign up or post until years later.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:32 am 

The MA anniversary was on the front page of HackerNews yesterday. Right after seeing that I was getting 500s etc. Did the site get a hug-of-death?

Anyway, long live Metal Archives! Certainly my most visited website on the internet and I don't really know what I would have done without it. So thank you to everyone who has created, contributed, maintained and partaken in it!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next