Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:58 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
The fact, that most of this forum agrees, when “no motherfucking hootie and the blowfish” shows up, in some thread about bad lyrics, is fucking depressing. That’s what you call a good lyric.

Most of this forum is ashamed to admit that they like heavy metal, and would rather listen to something else, that normies like, or that university professors and music critics like. There was a post, a few posts back, about how metal is “thespian,” and doesn’t have authentic emotion. This is like thinking that all science fiction and fantasy is “lowbrow,” and inferior to “literary fiction.” Well guess what? 90% of everything is crap. Most of “the classics,” of literature, are only rated highly, because few people could read or write back then, or because some king, or religion, told people to read them, and because school teachers tell people that it’s good, so people just repeat what they’re told. Fictional stories aren’t “better,” if they’re set in the real world, rather than a fictional world. And a lot of “real” art, is inauthentic, packaged garbage.

Metal isn’t some inferior form of art. It’s not lesser art, just because it uses guitars, because it’s rock and roll, because it’s not mainstream, because it expresses anger(the same people who are against this, claim that they want authentic emotion, in art), or because it’s mostly played by men. Maybe, those music critics, who warn against “gatekeeping,” should take their own advice. The vast majority of underground metal is made by people who don’t have a hope of getting rich and famous off of the music, but want to have fun, and give a positive experience to the fans. That makes it more authentic, than something, where the producer wrote the instrumentals, and the vocals are all processed, and the music is approved by label marketing committees, if it will make profit for the shareholders.

Metal is a legitimate form of art, even if university professors and music critics hate it, or ignore it. No slave ship, no worship, no motherfucking hootie and the blowfish!(unless you like hootie and the blowfish, it’s your life, and these are all just opinions and personal preferences anyways).

For some reasson this rant made me think of:

Spoiler: show
Ethnic hairstyles
Sloppy male hippies
Retro punks
People with thick glasses
Glorifying serial killers
Hobbit motherfuckers
No guts
No glory
No riot!

Argh!
Yargh!
I've had enough!
(My generation sucks!)
Ach!
Ja!
I agree!
(My generation sucks!)

Cyber idiots with pierced scrotums
Copulating
With animals
In cars parked outside the rave party
Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Argh!
Yargh!
That's what I say!
(My generation sucks!)
Ach!
Ja!
I've had enough!
(My generation sucks!)

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:28 pm 

Re: Hexen and HeavenDuff's latest comments.....

What you're describing you're seeing too much here, I'm not seeing at all. I see a lot of complaining about toxic fan bases and toxic attitudes fans and musicians often have, but I never see anyone here degrade metal as a form of music or art.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:47 pm 

^ Yeah, this. I understand the issues with folks who have that kind of attitude, but I honestly don't think it's as much of a problem on this forum as those posts claim.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:47 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Re: Hexen and HeavenDuff's latest comments.....

What you're describing you're seeing too much here, I'm not seeing at all. I see a lot of complaining about toxic fan bases and toxic attitudes fans and musicians often have, but I never see anyone here degrade metal as a form of music or art.

TheLoneForest's post history is a good place to start looking.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:51 pm 

I just think it's dumb as shit when these guys who don't listen to anything but random death and black metal will shit on pop, country, hip hop, etc. Just embarrassing behavior, ignorant as fuck.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:56 pm 

OK, here's a new one:

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is not the pinnacle of Sabbath's career as some folks claim and really is pretty shaky in places. Sure, it starts off brilliantly with the title track, and A National Acrobat features some great riffage and superb lyrics, but after that the album loses its way a bit. Fluff is an OK interlude, then the next couple of songs are almost bar room rock. TBH the album at this point gets a little too generic and starts to sound uninspired. Who Are You is actually kind of interesting in its own way, but then Looking For Today again sounds a bit uninspired and is just too lightweight. Thankfully Spiral Architect is on hand to save the record with some great lyrics (again) and superbly well crafted song writing.

I dunno. To some people SBS is the pinnacle of Sabbath, but it's always been a record I've really struggled to truly get into. The vibe of it is just odd as well, I find it's an album one really has to be in a particular mood to play.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:21 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I just think it's dumb as shit when these guys who don't listen to anything but random death and black metal will shit on pop, country, hip hop, etc. Just embarrassing behavior, ignorant as fuck.

On the flip side, it's annoying yet weirdly amusing to see somebody go "OMG WHY ARE YOU SO CLOSED MINDED METALLOIDS GONNA METALLOID!" when I tell them that I really didn't enjoy listening to a Lana Del Ray song they recommended.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:37 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

On the flip side, it's annoying yet weirdly amusing to see somebody go "OMG WHY ARE YOU SO CLOSED MINDED METALLOIDS GONNA METALLOID!" when I tell them that I really didn't enjoy listening to a Lana Del Ray song they recommended.

And this goes back to what I said, people here aren't criticizing metal as a form of music or art, people are criticizing metal FANS for not venturing outside the metal bubble. I get that's annoying in of itself, but definitely not the same thing.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:12 pm 

Oh yes, and that disdain for "metal fans" is also annoying as hell. These "metalloids who listen to nothing but metal and who shit on other genres" are far less common then people who have zero knowledge of metal shitting on metal. From experience, I've found metalheads to be far more open and knowledgeable about music in general then most other people. Sure you get the occasionnal dipshit in a Slayer t-shirt bitching about pop to show just how badass he his, but seriously, I've only met a handful of guys like this over the last few years. And usually they are either teenagers who don't know better, or douchebags you can find in every other scene. I mean, just hangout with hardcore fans, hiphopheads, old school rock fans or whatnot and you'll meet them. All communities have their own shitty people.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:33 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Full agree, BUT i will always shit on commercial mainstream corporate garbage no matter the genre

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:36 pm 

kovner1972 wrote:
LilTito wrote:
Well, been some time since i posted an unpopular opinion, here you go:

Overly fast metal can't be heavy, i.e. grindcore, black metal etc.

Prove me wrong

Proven wrong easily: Bolt Thrower's Realm Of Chaos. May not be pure grindcore, but holy shit. The closest grindcore could ever touch death metal.
Another example: Blood's Impulse To Destroy. The heaviest grindcore in the universe.
On a philosophical note, what is heavy anyways?

I think heavy is and should be considered something that's rich with bassy low-end.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:47 pm 

Im proud to like metal

Thank Satan made me a metalhead …
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

Last edited by Lee Harrison on Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:41 pm 

What does that mean? "Thank Satan for making me a metalhead"? Or "Thank Satan [that some person or thing] made me a metalhead"?

kovner1972
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:20 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I'm not at all ashamed to like metal, I just have my own standards for what is considered to be good metal and bad metal, which might seem different from others'.

This and more; the only musical universe I find myself both in love with and loath at the same time, is metal. When it's good, it's AMAZING. When it's bad, or mediocre or uninspired or dispassionate -- it's plain shit.
It's always there, in the background, accompanying me through all the phases of my life, like a silent partner, like a guardian angel, like a secret friend.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:40 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
What does that mean? "Thank Satan for making me a metalhead"? Or "Thank Satan [that some person or thing] made me a metalhead"?

At least I used the past so don’t bother me
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:57 am 

Wilytank wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Yeah I mean I'm not doing that. And I guess my original comment is just a broad irritation with really vehement shitting on whole genres... always just seems ignorant.

And true there are a lot of metal fans who are quite open minded and musically literate, and those are the ones I usually like a lot.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:27 am 

The only genre that never clicked with me is hip-hip/rap. Just doesn't do what I look for in music for the most part musically or lyrically. Maybe there is stuff from that genre that I would enjoy but honestly I lack the time or interest to wade though it.

I supposed you could put in dance music as well, unless I'm a few drinks in and dancing which isn't very often.

Then again I never thought I'd get into country but here I am listening to a lot of Sturgill Simpson and Chris Stapleton. Still can't stand the bro-country for the most part. Maybe moving to a more rural area has helped this expansion of my tastes.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:46 am 

I prefer Burzum's ambient/dungeon synth songs to their metal ones more nowadays. Tomhet and Rundgang are the peaks of their respective albums and are integral to the narratives expressed throughout each. Also if Hlidskjalf wasn't a Burzum album, it would probably be viewed as a classic of 90's dungeon synth.

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:08 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Oh yes, and that disdain for "metal fans" is also annoying as hell. These "metalloids who listen to nothing but metal and who shit on other genres"

This was me when I started with metal around 13-14. Grew out of it at 18 - and now I really enjoy 60's-90's non-metal stuff (Pop, Soul, Blues or whatever else I might find). I look back on those days thinking ''Wow, I was such a mong that I missed out on things just for the sake of it.''

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:01 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

You know what he meant, "thank god ___ happened" is a common figure of speech that no one has issues with. You're just being deliberately obtuse in order to obnoxiously make fun of his English like you did in previous posts and your signature (which is kind of shitty behaviour). So, kindly shut the fuck up now.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:10 pm 

In_Zane wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
Oh yes, and that disdain for "metal fans" is also annoying as hell. These "metalloids who listen to nothing but metal and who shit on other genres"

This was me when I started with metal around 13-14. Grew out of it at 18 - and now I really enjoy 60's-90's non-metal stuff (Pop, Soul, Blues or whatever else I might find). I look back on those days thinking ''Wow, I was such a mong that I missed out on things just for the sake of it.''

I also had that phase when I was really getting into metal, where most music that I considered not technically proficient enough, not complex enough, too mainstream, was written off entirely. I'm glad I never stopped listening to other musical genres, but I was probably obnoxious to a few people at the time. The know-it-all metalhead who is going to explain to you why the music you like is bad :lol:

Morrigan wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

You know what he meant, "thank god ___ happened" is a common figure of speech that no one has issues with. You're just being deliberately obtuse in order to obnoxiously make fun of his English like you did in previous posts and your signature (which is kind of shitty behaviour). So, kindly shut the fuck up now.

Making fun of someone who is making efforts to learn your language is such a messed up thing to do. I'm always thankful when someone tries to speak to me in my first language. Props to Lee Harrison.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:47 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Making fun of someone who is making efforts to learn your language is such a messed up thing to do. I'm always thankful when someone tries to speak to me in my first language. Props to Lee Harrison.

Agreed.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:57 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Wilytank wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Yeah I mean I'm not doing that. And I guess my original comment is just a broad irritation with really vehement shitting on whole genres... always just seems ignorant.

And true there are a lot of metal fans who are quite open minded and musically literate, and those are the ones I usually like a lot.

I wasn’t trying to shit on whole genres, although I made the “worst non-rock music” thread, in the off topic forum. If I don’t like something, I’m always careful, to say that I don’t like it, and because most people don’t like my music, I try to avoid saying that entire styles are bad, and I never say that something “isn’t real music.”

The keyboard warrior elitists are pretty bad, you’re right. I was commenting on the double standards some people have, mostly, from lack of knowledge of genres, or from selective listening. There was a comment, on the last page, about metal being unreal theatrics, and punk/hardcore being more raw emotion. Of course, both styles of expression, and of music, aren’t mutually exclusive. But, you sometimes see people from the hardcore scene saying that they’re tired of some of the generic ‘street tough’ genre tropes, and that they’ve been listening to metal bands, for a different, more dynamic experience.

But I also see some double standards, from music critics, where metal doesn’t get equal consideration, just because it’s not fashionable to like it. I’ll look at some(music, in general, not metal focused) wand of the year lists, and metal bands, that have authentic emotional expression, and more dynamic art(beyond hyper masculine violence fantasies), will sometimes get on there, and there will be other styles of rock, and it’s supposed to be some “I listen to all kinds of music” list. But you’ll find some manufactured, overproduced, inauthentic stuff, and some okay stuff, that’s just fun to listen to. These critics aren’t metal heads, it’s their lists, their opinions, which is fine. But they seem really fixated on writing articles, about fucked up behavior, from metal musicians, who are playing a non-mainstream style, not making lots of money, and don’t have widespread influence, but aren’t willing to hold more popular musicians to such a high standard.

As an example, I saw an article, a few months ago, on US national public radio’s website, about Matt Pike’s belief in conspiracies. He believes in reptilian shapeshifters, which is David Icke’s lazy, new age hippie recycling, of medieval Christian anti-Jewish beliefs, which motivated genocidal massacres, for centuries. Bandcamp cancelled publication, of an article, where he would be interviewed, and give music recommendations. He was pissed, the writer asked him for comments, Matt Pike continues to believe absurd conspiracy theories, and he doesn’t understand how such beliefs can, in some cases, be the “gateway drug,” to recruiting people into extremist ideologies.

That’s fair, he believes something stupid, he deserves to be made fun of for it. But, one of the related articles, on the same page, was about the new Kendrick Lamar album. I clicked on that, and it mentioned that he has some lyrics, against one of his own transgender relatives, calling them “faggot.” The writer mentioned it, then went back to praising the album. I don’t think anyone who isn’t already inclined towards anti-Jewish hate is going to get sucked down the rabbit hole of conspiracy theories, by Sleep and High on Fire, and I don’t think anyone, who isn’t already anti-trans, is going to change their mind, because of Kendrick Lamar’s prejudices. But it’s much easier to normalize prejudicial views, when you’re talking about people you know, with slurs, than when you’re shouting vague stuff about conspiracies that don’t exist.

The Kendrick Lamar review was favorable, and the Matt Pike article wasn’t accusing him of malice, so much as ignorance. But I think that, maybe, musicians who have such a large audience, should be held to a higher standard, by these music critics? Which brings me to another “unpopular opinion:” metal isn’t a “problematic” genre, in general, compared to music, in general. Because it’s fans are actually willing to ask questions, about whether they should give support, to bands that do or say unacceptable things. Which isn’t something you see in mainstream music.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:16 pm 

^ I assimilate this to the same phenomenon that leads media and a good chunk of society to put an extreme emphasis on metal music whenever someone who listens to metal music commits crimes, especially violent ones.

Like Hexen said, it seems our scene is often put under intense scrutiny, while very mainstream hip-hop artists get a light slap on the wrist for transphobia, homophobia and sexism.

Now of course there's a wide range of reasons leading to metal bands/artists getting cancelled more. Namely that parts of our community are more actively calling out bigotry then a lot of other scenes, and also that it's harder to cancel very popular and trending artists. Labels, radios, websites, etc. can easily just stop talking about Matt Pike, but not as much Kendrick Lamar. So yeah, it's not just hate and judgemental behavior towards metal, but it sures exists and plays a role.

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:29 pm 

I love Mgla but I find that Darkside's bell rolls(or whatever you want to call them), that he seems to be primerally well known for, most of the time sound messy and don't serve the song.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:16 pm 

Amosofnlm wrote:
I love Mgla but I find that Darkside's bell rolls(or whatever you want to call them), that he seems to be primerally well known for, most of the time sound messy and don't serve the song.

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:36 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Amosofnlm wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:23 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
I wasn’t trying to shit on whole genres, although I made the “worst non-rock music” thread, in the off topic forum. If I don’t like something, I’m always careful, to say that I don’t like it, and because most people don’t like my music, I try to avoid saying that entire styles are bad, and I never say that something “isn’t real music.”

The keyboard warrior elitists are pretty bad, you’re right. I was commenting on the double standards some people have, mostly, from lack of knowledge of genres, or from selective listening. There was a comment, on the last page, about metal being unreal theatrics, and punk/hardcore being more raw emotion. Of course, both styles of expression, and of music, aren’t mutually exclusive. But, you sometimes see people from the hardcore scene saying that they’re tired of some of the generic ‘street tough’ genre tropes, and that they’ve been listening to metal bands, for a different, more dynamic experience.

But I also see some double standards, from music critics, where metal doesn’t get equal consideration, just because it’s not fashionable to like it. I’ll look at some(music, in general, not metal focused) wand of the year lists, and metal bands, that have authentic emotional expression, and more dynamic art(beyond hyper masculine violence fantasies), will sometimes get on there, and there will be other styles of rock, and it’s supposed to be some “I listen to all kinds of music” list. But you’ll find some manufactured, overproduced, inauthentic stuff, and some okay stuff, that’s just fun to listen to. These critics aren’t metal heads, it’s their lists, their opinions, which is fine. But they seem really fixated on writing articles, about fucked up behavior, from metal musicians, who are playing a non-mainstream style, not making lots of money, and don’t have widespread influence, but aren’t willing to hold more popular musicians to such a high standard.

As an example, I saw an article, a few months ago, on US national public radio’s website, about Matt Pike’s belief in conspiracies. He believes in reptilian shapeshifters, which is David Icke’s lazy, new age hippie recycling, of medieval Christian anti-Jewish beliefs, which motivated genocidal massacres, for centuries. Bandcamp cancelled publication, of an article, where he would be interviewed, and give music recommendations. He was pissed, the writer asked him for comments, Matt Pike continues to believe absurd conspiracy theories, and he doesn’t understand how such beliefs can, in some cases, be the “gateway drug,” to recruiting people into extremist ideologies.

That’s fair, he believes something stupid, he deserves to be made fun of for it. But, one of the related articles, on the same page, was about the new Kendrick Lamar album. I clicked on that, and it mentioned that he has some lyrics, against one of his own transgender relatives, calling them “faggot.” The writer mentioned it, then went back to praising the album. I don’t think anyone who isn’t already inclined towards anti-Jewish hate is going to get sucked down the rabbit hole of conspiracy theories, by Sleep and High on Fire, and I don’t think anyone, who isn’t already anti-trans, is going to change their mind, because of Kendrick Lamar’s prejudices. But it’s much easier to normalize prejudicial views, when you’re talking about people you know, with slurs, than when you’re shouting vague stuff about conspiracies that don’t exist.

The Kendrick Lamar review was favorable, and the Matt Pike article wasn’t accusing him of malice, so much as ignorance. But I think that, maybe, musicians who have such a large audience, should be held to a higher standard, by these music critics? Which brings me to another “unpopular opinion:” metal isn’t a “problematic” genre, in general, compared to music, in general. Because it’s fans are actually willing to ask questions, about whether they should give support, to bands that do or say unacceptable things. Which isn’t something you see in mainstream music.

Well this is what I mean, that Kendrick song is thorny and difficult and that makes it interesting art. It isn't even prejudiced, it's a song about him working through stuff from his childhood from an adult lens, which anyone who pays attention would know. That whole album is just fascinating to me. Lots of really weighty stuff. Interesting stuff. Makes you think.

I don't really know a lot of Matt Pike stuff. Don't remember being that impressed before but I could've been wrong.

I don't really read a shitload of reviews unless it's for specific artists I already know, honestly, so I can't really engage you on what you read or how good of criticism it was. I just mean there's different standards. If people want to talk about the stuff I think is high metal art (Pharaoh, Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune, Messa, old Maiden/Fates Warning/Savatage, Manilla Road, Queensryche, White Ward, Watchtower, The Chasm, anything Howie Bentley does, etc) then I'm down with that... personally I just think there's a difference between a Kendrick or St. Vincent album and, you know, fucking Amon Amarth kiddie viking stuff in terms of what people would have to say of its substance and meaning. There's a place for the silly stuff too but I think you have to acknowledge what it is and not treat it like "well it's not that mainstream stuff so it must be better by design." I just like having standards. That will vary for people. But you get the point.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:53 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

Thanks but he help me to improve with grammar(even it is boring)

For Borges language and grammar are only fiction and convention…

TheCloudMinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:38 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Wilytank wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

There is nothing ignorant about strongly disliking an entire genre of music.

I would argue actually that your inability to grasp how someone could have this point of view is far more ignorant.

I find it irritating to hear some asshole insist that there is good and bad in every genre. I think that's total bullshit.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:43 am 

Nobody has to listen to anything they don't want to (very obvious) but to go to bat for hating an entire genre is just absurd to me. Limiting.

Like it's extremely obvious not everyone's going to spend time actually discovering all these obscure genres or bands. But if you're into music enough to post on a forum it seems like a waste of potential to just approach things ignorantly.

RikRol666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:10 am 

I think Iron Maiden's 80s output is superior to their 90s releases. I like both, but I like 80s best. I think I'm the only one like that lol.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:04 am 

LilTito wrote:
I think heavy is and should be considered something that's rich with bassy low-end.

I can't see how fast death metal and grind particularly wouldn't be heavy by this logic.

I mean, Mortician's heavy, early Carcass is heavy, late Last Days of Humanity is suffocatingly heavy and completely crazy (though maybe not due to a specifically bassy low-end, but c'mon), and so on. In general, I think it's fairly easy to find modern grind that goes hard on the low-end, and is by definition quite heavy. Another example that comes to mind is Circle of Dead Children's swansong, Psalm of the Grand Destroyer, which may easily be called their heaviest album on those grounds (and generally labeled heavy, plain and simple).

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:29 pm 

RikRol666 wrote:
I think Iron Maiden's 80s output is superior to their 90s releases. I like both, but I like 80s best. I think I'm the only one like that lol.

....This is literally the most common opinion out there, are you for real

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

FantomLord17
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:13 am 

This thread has been such an addicting read. I'll add some opinions with just a touch of broken english.

Of all the more famous swedish melodeath bands from the 90's, Soilwork has evolved the best. Their current "Journey with blastbeats" is still relatively fresh when considering the melodeath scene seems to keep moving towards other trends (like the ever increasing incorporation of technical death metal, longer songwriting and just aping Insomnium).

On that note, Insomnium fell down hard after incorporating clean vocals into their sound. They went from being one of the top melodic death metal bands to just another "good but not great", and I find it a bit surprising that they just seem to get more popular with time.

Powerwolf and Sabaton are bands that work better in theory than execution. Sabaton at least have Carolus Rex, which is still one of the best modern power metal albums. Powerwolf have a few songs there and there, but the only song that I feel REALLY realized their potential is their Amon Amarth cover, which -and here comes the actual unpopular opinion- is better than the original.

Gamma Ray surpassed Helloween since 1995. Although the Helloween reunion album is neat and, of course, it's a wonderful thing that the reunion seems to be pretty lucrative for all members involved, I'd rather have a new Gamma Ray album than a new Helloween (reunion or not) album, unless they give Hansen the reins for most of the songwriting.

Accept albums have 2-3 great songs per album. The rest is paint-by-numbers filler. Not even Restless & Wild or Blood of the Nations disrupt this trend (although BotN gets closer by sheer quantity of songs in the album).

Finally, I think Discouraged Ones is Katatonia's best album, and the abandonment of that kind of gothic/post-punk kind of melodies in favour of generic and flavorless non-riffs (like the ones that dominate Viva Emptiness) has held back the band for years, specially when considering that the non-metal aspects of their sound (Renkse's voice, the acoustic guitars, keyboards, overall mood, etc.) are the ones that actually make the band worth listening to.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:26 am 

Morrigan wrote:
RikRol666 wrote:

Outstanding.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:43 am 

Morrigan wrote:
RikRol666 wrote:

I know. My unpopular opinion is that Metallica's first 3 or 4 records were the best and then it was all downhill from there.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:51 am 

I think all of those The Satan Records videos in his signature fried his brain

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:38 am 

Morrigan wrote:
RikRol666 wrote:

It’s a joke (I believe )

One of best troll ever

Ps Helloween surpassed by Ganma Ray?

I don’t think

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:20 pm 

RikRol666 wrote:

Definitely a troll. Check out his username.
Spoiler: show

untappd: patrick_g

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 221  Next