Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:56 pm 

I heard Among the Living in high school and remember it being good enough. But I never followed up on them. I'll try some of their other shit soon.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:15 pm 

Anthrax were better than most thrash bands but only second tier for me at most. I understand why they have to be in the Big 4, their popularity is undeniable, but I think Metal Church or Overkill should have taken their place.

No. No am not.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:53 pm 

Forever Underground wrote:
Wait, there are people who dislike Belladona's vocals?

It fascinates me how many times I've heard the comment "the music is good but the vocals suck" when it comes to thrash metal albums and I really wonder if these people actually like thrash because I can't think of any other genre of metal that has more of a "just sing like you can, the important thing is that you really give it your all" attitude. Of course there are good singers in the genre but with exponents like Sean Killian, Phil Rind, Tom Angelripper or Pat Lind I find it unbelievable that people give so much importance to the singers skills.

I know what you mean, but it's also a common criticism addressed at Megadeth. Lots of people don't listen to their music solely because of Dave Mustaine's vocals. I don't get it, personnally, but it seems to be common.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:07 pm 

Mustaine is a fan fucking tastic vocalist, even if I don't care for Megadeth on the whole.

Belladonna and Anthrax are just irredeemable shit and your taste is questionable if you like them.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

FantomLord17
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:18 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
This might not be *that* controversial, but I've always thought that Kamelot's Poetry for the Poisoned was super-underrated. Weird, dark, moody, I honestly think Khan's more restrained vocal presence is a benefit (both in matching the atmosphere and how he was starting to over exaggerate a bit on Ghost Opera), hell, even the electronic influences are cool. Perfect music for the fall season. It was cool to see them take some risks on the album, especially given how their last two sounded pretty predictable and uninspired.

Hard agree on this, but I'd add Ghost Opera to the mix. Both fairly underrated in comparison to the more traditional power metal records that came before.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:50 pm 

It fascinates me how many times I've heard the comment "the music is good but the vocals suck" when it comes to thrash metal albums and I really wonder if these people actually like thrash because I can't think of any other genre of metal that has more of a "just sing like you can, the important thing is that you really give it your all" attitude. Of course there are good singers in the genre but with exponents like Sean Killian, Phil Rind, Tom Angelripper or Pat Lind I find it unbelievable that people give so much importance to the singers skills.

It's ironic as during the 80s, the vocals were considered one of their strengths and what separated them from the pack. The typical reviews were like this: "Anthrax is the thrash band all others similar bands are envious of due to the stellar vocals of Belladonna".

In fact, when they hired Bush, the view was 'well they had better hire someone as talented as Bush to replace someone as talented as Belladonna". Not kidding about this.

With that said, I've always been a fan of Anthrax but there's always also been this element of "big and dumb" about their music. I believe that's what's lead to the poor aging of their music more than anything else.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:52 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I heard Among the Living in high school and remember it being good enough. But I never followed up on them. I'll try some of their other shit soon.

It was arguably the most popular record among metalheads in 1987. For one year, at least, they were the king of the hill and considered to be on par with Metallica (the undisputed king of the hill in '87, after claiming the throne from Maiden in '86).

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:28 am 

Sean Killian.... my introduction to Vio-Lence was at a concert last year..... My opinion was the music's good, but the vocals suck. Not sure how you'd have a problem with that attitude in this specific instance of Vio-Lence..... The singing was literally just yelping at a blazing speed, it would fit so, so, SO much better in a punk band than any kind of metal band. No other metal singer sounds like him, because who would want to? He just sounds like an angry teenager blowing off steam.

Ace_Rimmer
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:53 am 

Nocturnal_Evil wrote:
Metallica should have just stuck to the radio rock thing after quitting thrash metal. In a weird way, I think that would speak to at least a bit of integrity. Instead, they jumped ship for some bucks only to "return to form" (read: pander) to the thrash audience with some half assed, over produced thrash. Plus, James's singing voice is way too far gone for thrash. Death Magnetic and Hardwired... both reek of "hey fellow thrash fans, this is what you like, right?"

It really seems like the musical equivalent to releasing lower quality sequels two decades or so after high quality originals to make bank on a young, naïve fanbase.

Hardwired wasn't trying to be Puppets/Justice like Death Magnetic was to my ears. It had a couple thrashy tracks but it felt more like a natural progression of where Metallica is.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:27 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Nocturnal_Evil wrote:
Metallica should have just stuck to the radio rock thing after quitting thrash metal. In a weird way, I think that would speak to at least a bit of integrity. Instead, they jumped ship for some bucks only to "return to form" (read: pander) to the thrash audience with some half assed, over produced thrash. Plus, James's singing voice is way too far gone for thrash. Death Magnetic and Hardwired... both reek of "hey fellow thrash fans, this is what you like, right?"

It really seems like the musical equivalent to releasing lower quality sequels two decades or so after high quality originals to make bank on a young, naïve fanbase.

Hardwired wasn't trying to be Puppets/Justice like Death Magnetic was to my ears. It had a couple thrashy tracks but it felt more like a natural progression of where Metallica is.

Agreed. To my ears, it was simply a natural manifestation of "Metallica circa 2016".

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:56 pm 

Re: Countdown, I kinda see what Gemini is saying even if I don't agree. It's pretty obvious that Dave saw the Black Album being the commercial juggernaut that it was and thought to himself, "I'll have a bit of that," so I can see why you'd level the trying too hard criticism. Then again, I think it's a really well-written album so who cares if it's genuine or whatever.

Zelkiiro wrote:
Hardwired is a good album, and I'm sick of people pretending otherwise.

It's good but in need of a judicious edit. Disc 1 is great stuff but disc 2 is patchy as all hell - there's a great 50-55 minute album in there somewhere begging to be let out.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
Belladonna and Anthrax are just irredeemable shit and your taste is questionable if you like them.

Really living up to your forum title there, buddy. Among the Living rips.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:30 pm 

The back half of Hardwired is pretty baggy and a lot of those songs are pretty B-grade stuff, but hey they're still better than anything off Megadeth's last few albums.

Ace_Rimmer
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:35 pm 

Hardwired was a strong album. A solid 70%. I'd put the new Megadeth over it by a bit, but maybe the shine will wear off. It just needed trimming of some cuts. You had a really good 8 track LP there. Take Spit out the Bone and maybe Confusion from D2 and drop the rest.

I don't think its as good as the new Megadeth but I'd put it on par with Endgame.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:49 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The back half of Hardwired is pretty baggy and a lot of those songs are pretty B-grade stuff, but hey they're still better than anything off Megadeth's last few albums.

Have to say I disagree. Dystopia handily destroys all of Hardwired disc 2 bar Spit Out the Bone (and weirdly the two are pretty comparable in total run time), as does most of United Abominations. And probably Endgame, too, since people seem to love that one, but honestly I haven't listened to it in years so I couldn't conclusively tell you.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:51 pm 

Both these last two Megadeths just sound like the most stale generic personality-free McMetal/Metal for beginners kind of stuff for me. I need more personality in my music. Some sense of a band grooving together. It all just feels like Mustaine with a bunch of mercenaries to me, churning shit out to tour. No feeling. Metallica's lesser new stuff can get wonky but it does sound like a coherent working band to me anyway.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:00 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Both these last two Megadeths just sound like the most stale generic personality-free McMetal/Metal for beginners kind of stuff for me. I need more personality in my music. Some sense of a band grooving together. It all just feels like Mustaine with a bunch of mercenaries to me, churning shit out to tour. No feeling. Metallica's lesser new stuff can get wonky but it does sound like a coherent working band to me anyway.

Yeah, this. I can't bring myselt to actually revisiting any Megadeth passed TSHF. It's not horrible, but it's just not exciting. However, I'm always interested in hearing new Metallica.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:01 pm 

Don't you ever get tired of talking like a meme?

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:38 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Sean Killian.... my introduction to Vio-Lence was at a concert last year..... My opinion was the music's good, but the vocals suck. Not sure how you'd have a problem with that attitude in this specific instance of Vio-Lence..... The singing was literally just yelping at a blazing speed, it would fit so, so, SO much better in a punk band than any kind of metal band. No other metal singer sounds like him, because who would want to? He just sounds like an angry teenager blowing off steam.

how different is he from a guy like, say, Bobby Blitz? I mean, really. Eternal Nightmare is a top 10 thrash album of all time. Vocals don't matter much for thrash (or death or black) anyway. I like his cracked-out voice, it fits the themes of their lyrics well.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:10 am 

Nocturnal_Evil wrote:
Also, not to equate being fast to being good, but Benante's drumming was miles ahead of any other of the big bands of those days.
Listen to "Gung-Ho" and you'll see what I mean.

Miles ahead of Lars, sure. But miles ahead of Lombardo? Samuelson? Menza? And Hoglan depending upon how far you expand "big".

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:28 am 

Deathdoom1992 wrote:
It's good but in need of a judicious edit. Disc 1 is great stuff but disc 2 is patchy as all hell - there's a great 50-55 minute album in there somewhere begging to be let out.

I think that's the case with all their stuff post Black album. There's a truly great album between Load/Reload, Death Magnetic and Hardwired songs seemed to contain too many passages where it sounded like they added in riffs that didn't quite fit just to pad out the songs. Even St Anger could have been decent condensed to 45 minutes with solos added (and the production fixed but that's the same for the last three albums)

Ace_Rimmer
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:50 am 

I haven't listened to Dystopia that much, need to rectify that, but the latest sounds like just what I want from Megadeth. To me Megadeth is Dave Mustaine's vocals and guitar with accents from various other players. It is really a solo band with a name and I'm fine with that.

Metallica really surprised me by putting out Hardwired which was enjoyable after one of the most embarrassing piles of crap ever recorded and an album of trying too hard to be the band they can't be again. They could still have edited some of those cuts down a bit, but they haven't drifted into Maiden territory thankfully, but they didn't try to act like they could still play a whole album of thrash and sound like they felt it. Spit out the Bone was a fun track, would have been filler on the first five, but it was still a decent go at a fast Metallica tune. Too bad Kirk's leads were mediocre as were the drums. But at this time I don't think either have the drive to be more than that, Lars especially. In a way Metallica is now just me finding cool shit Hetfield is doing.

At this point Metallica and Megadeth are in the same area for me, bands that can put out a pretty decent album of mostly straight up metal mixed with some more thrashy cuts.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:51 am 

Empyreal wrote:

Fair enough. I think that that criticism is certainly valid for portions of the latest one, and probably Thirteen and Super Collider, but when Mustaine decides to actually thrash I think that sound still retains that classic Megadeth style. Of course, it's not as good as the 1985-92 stuff but I wouldn't call it generic. Although "Dave and some mercenaries" is definitely an accurate characterisation of the band post-reunion (and probably since the dissolution of the classic lineup tbh).

Ace_Rimmer
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:07 pm 

Megadeth has never had a stable lineup, its always been Dave and others. They should do it like Deep Purple, Megadeth Mk1, 2, 3, 4... I think we would be on Mk 6 at this point?

Music and lyrics are largely composed by Mustaine and honestly albums where he began to allow larger input from the other guitarists, Friedman to be more specific, were the weaker albums for me, Youthanasia, Cryptic Writings, and Risk.

The only member I'd like to see there with Dave is the other Dave.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:09 pm 

Chaosmonger wrote:
Vocals don't matter much for thrash (or death or black) anyway.

You seem to be shoe-horning this personal opinion of yours as carved in stone universal truth, but it is not. Maybe vocals don't matter much in thrash TO YOU, but not everyone feels the same way. One of the big reasons I latched on to Metallica so early on in my metal listening was because I loved Hetfield's vocals. When I first heard Megadeth, I didn't like it because Mustaine has a much weaker voice. And I was by no means alone on this. I've since come around on Mustaine's vocals and often downright enjoy them.

Maybe it's just because I haven't heard any studio recordings of Vio-Lence and so much time has passed since the album came out and when I saw them last year, but that concert last year he was an absolute joke. I literally couldn't believe this guy was singing for a METAL band, let alone one that has a legendary release he was a major part of.

If you get so huffy about other people saying they like the music of x thrash band but hate the vocals, especially if that band is Vio-Lence, I just don't know what to tell you. Maybe lighten up a bit and accept some people put more importance on vocals than you do, which is fine for them and you putting less importance on vocals is also fine.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:30 pm 

I think it's mostly that thrash, more so than almost any other genre, is one where you can get away with almost any style of vocals over the exact same music and it'll usually work, you'll just be shifted into a different thrash subgenre. Growl and you'll be deathrash. Shriek and you'll be black thrash. A shouty punk delivery and you'll be crossover. Sing with a more powerful classic metal approach and you'll be more of an Anthrax-type band. Two of the few that might not work so well would be the understated approach of someone like Jonas Renkse, or the more ghostly stylings of someone like Sharon den Adel.

Ace_Rimmer
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:31 pm 

I will say that vocals are pretty far down the list of things I listen for in genres like thrash and extreme metal, but it can still help or hurt the music.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:41 pm 

Deathdoom1992 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Fair enough. I think that that criticism is certainly valid for portions of the latest one, and probably Thirteen and Super Collider, but when Mustaine decides to actually thrash I think that sound still retains that classic Megadeth style. Of course, it's not as good as the 1985-92 stuff but I wouldn't call it generic. Although "Dave and some mercenaries" is definitely an accurate characterisation of the band post-reunion (and probably since the dissolution of the classic lineup tbh).

Granted I don't listen to their old stuff much either. But the new stuff just bores the shit out of me.

Vocals in extreme metal aren't always as distinct as the cleaner ones - usually they're not as much the focus. But between bands like Laaz Rockit, Vader, The Chasm, Demilich, etc there's plenty I find to be standouts of the bands.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:36 pm 

If you get so huffy about other people saying they like the music of x thrash band but hate the vocals, especially if that band is Vio-Lence, I just don't know what to tell you. Maybe lighten up a bit and accept some people put more importance on vocals than you do, which is fine for them and you putting less importance on vocals is also fine.

I didn't realize I was being huffy lol. Maybe you should hear...I don't know, ONE STUDIO SONG from the band before offering up your opinion. Do you not like Bonded by Blood either?

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:21 pm 

I don't know why you're saying he's getting "huffy" or that he should "lighten up". He literally just said that he thought thrash metal vocals weren't all that important for himself and for a lot of people.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:30 am 

Fall is the most metal season. Not winter.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

thereflectingskin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:01 am 

Chaosmonger wrote:

how different is he from a guy like, say, Bobby Blitz? I mean, really. Eternal Nightmare is a top 10 thrash album of all time. Vocals don't matter much for thrash (or death or black) anyway. I like his cracked-out voice, it fits the themes of their lyrics well.

His vocals on this album are excellent, imo. He has a very well thought out and varied sense of cadence and melody that I'd say he puts to near virtuosic use, the way he can run all up and down short sections of songs without getting off-beat and with such an eye to emphasizing or playing off of the other instruments. I can imagine it being difficult to pull off live because it really is very precise on the album. If I were trying to make a convert of someone I'd say listen to the part of Phobophobia that goes:

"In constant paranoia Keeps me
looking over my shoulder I’m hiding ‘til the fear is over Running down the street I’ll never look to see just what it might
be
That I feeeeear so much
in my LIFE
or in my DEATH"

Obviously hard to replicate the cadence and stress in text, but yeah just check out that song (y'know, if you want to that is):

Spoiler: show

thereflectingskin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:06 am 

i guess that probably counts as an unpopular opinion as well

Ace_Rimmer
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:57 am 

When I saw Vio-Lence live they were viscous and Killian was a big part of that. He's not a "great" vocalist but holy shit was that an intense set.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:02 am 

thereflectingskin wrote:
His vocals on this album are excellent, imo. He has a very well thought out and varied sense of cadence and melody that I'd say he puts to near virtuosic use, the way he can run all up and down short sections of songs without getting off-beat and with such an eye to emphasizing or playing off of the other instruments. I can imagine it being difficult to pull off live because it really is very precise on the album. If I were trying to make a convert of someone I'd say listen to the part of Phobophobia that goes:

"In constant paranoia Keeps me
looking over my shoulder I’m hiding ‘til the fear is over Running down the street I’ll never look to see just what it might
be
That I feeeeear so much
in my LIFE
or in my DEATH"

Obviously hard to replicate the cadence and stress in text, but yeah just check out that song (y'know, if you want to that is):

Spoiler: show

Exactly! Great part to highlight btw. It's an extremely original cadence. His lyrics are good too. They talked about societal issues but did it from, say, the drug-dealer's point of view rather than going "drugs are bad." But I get it, a lot of people don't like his voice. He's a bit punky for a lot of metalheads I guess. I'm fine with that though.

One thought I've always had that makes me laugh: I could always hear him singing the Fresh Prince theme song lol.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:50 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Megadeth has never had a stable lineup, its always been Dave and others. They should do it like Deep Purple, Megadeth Mk1, 2, 3, 4... I think we would be on Mk 6 at this point?

Music and lyrics are largely composed by Mustaine and honestly albums where he began to allow larger input from the other guitarists, Friedman to be more specific, were the weaker albums for me, Youthanasia, Cryptic Writings, and Risk.

The only member I'd like to see there with Dave is the other Dave.

So having the same lineup from 1990-1997 or so isn't stable? Also, David Ellefson has been featured in most incarnations of the band.

LilTito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:34 am 

Fall is the most metal season. Not winter.

Wrong. Fall/autumn is THE goth season, not metal

Metalion_SOS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:47 am 

Symphonic power metal is the metal equivalent of fullbore 1979 disco.

LilTito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:52 pm 

Metalion_SOS wrote:

If this is unpopular than we are doomed

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:56 pm 

Metalion_SOS wrote:

I'll take both over black or death metal any day of the week.
Currently seeking a way to make money off of these things...

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:47 pm 

Symphonic power metal is one of the least popular styles here, so I don't know why someone would think that's a controversial opinion.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107  Next