Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
j_bentley12885
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:28 am 

66samhain wrote:
Curiously enough, Type O Negative always reminded me more of winter than autumn.

World Coming Down is a total winter album for me.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:03 am 

Not metal, but these rock albums are pure autumn music, to my ears:

Jethro Tull - most of their 70s output, but especially these:
the Heavy Wood Trilogy (Songs From the Wood, Heavy Horses, Stormwatch)
Minstrel in the Gallery
WarChild
Thick As a Brick

Led Zeppelin - III, Zoso (and "Houses Of the Holy" is arguably the preeminent summer album)

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:29 pm 

Below the Lights by Enslaved has always been my favorite "fall" album, especially when driving - nothing like starting a roadtrip when it's cool and overcast and hearing those smooth mellotron lines on As Fire Swept Clean the Earth.

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:43 pm 

Iron Monkey’s self titled album, Dopesick by Eyehategod and Come My Fanatics by Electric Wizard are three of my favorites to listen to in the fall. I’m pretty sure the first time I ever heard those records was in the fall so I guess by proxy I just view them as perfect fall records.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:06 am 

Another poster above stated how in parts of the U.S., Fall can actually be just an extension of Summer lmao. Certainly true where I live in California. For us, Winter time is more like how Fall is everywhere else and we don’t have a true Winter.

Crossbones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:46 pm 

The first three Black Sabbath albums.
Melissa and Don't Break the Oath by Mercyful Fate. Pretty much any King Diamond album, too.
No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark by Iron Maiden.
Restless and Wild by Accept. Neon Nights in particular brings to mind the days growing darker.
Ecstasy and Danger by Ostrogoth.
Pretty much anything from the first wave of black metal, crossing over with winter. In the UK, autumn and winter just feel like one long six month season, so it's prime time for In the Sign of Evil, Under the Sign of the Black Mark and so on.

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:06 pm 

des91 wrote:
Another poster above stated how in parts of the U.S., Fall can actually be just an extension of Summer lmao. Certainly true where I live in California. For us, Winter time is more like how Fall is everywhere else and we don’t have a true Winter.

I lived in a place for a few years with a Mediterranean climate like that and absolutely hated it haha. I think a lot of people love it.

Bands that do it for me:

Drudkh, really most of their albums but especially earlier stuff.
Agalloch, though as others have said some of their stuff is definitely more winter
Panopoticon - Autumn Eternal, as mentioned as well.
Alda - probably mostly the album Passage

Plenty of other random BM bands/albums.

For non-metal stuff bands like Nest, Nebelung and Musk Ox

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:43 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Below the Lights by Enslaved has always been my favorite "fall" album, especially when driving - nothing like starting a roadtrip when it's cool and overcast and hearing those smooth mellotron lines on As Fire Swept Clean the Earth.

Agreed!

Crossbones wrote:
The first three Black Sabbath albums.

I didn't think of these, but it definitely makes sense, especially the first one.

Prairieshadow wrote:
Bands that do it for me:

Drudkh, really most of their albums but especially earlier stuff.
Agalloch, though as others have said some of their stuff is definitely more winter
Panopoticon - Autumn Eternal, as mentioned as well.
Alda - probably mostly the album Passage

Plenty of other random BM bands/albums.

For non-metal stuff bands like Nest, Nebelung and Musk Ox

My man!

(I don't listen to Drudkh anymore, but their early stuff definitely gives a fall vibe.)

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:32 am 

Listened to The History compilation by Vordven on the other night. While their full-length Towards the Frozen Stream is a clear winter album, their demo When the Wind Blew for the First Time has a very autumnal feel. It's really the sound of summer dying and the first cold winds starting to blow. Their playing got tighter on the full-length, but When the Wind... is still good, very calm and beautiful synth-driven black metal.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:45 pm 

j_bentley12885 wrote:
66samhain wrote:
Curiously enough, Type O Negative always reminded me more of winter than autumn.

Hell, October Rust has a Christmas song on it. So essentially, that album is the equivalent of people who are okay with department stores skipping Halloween decorations and going right to setting up the Christmas ones even though it's September. This is also considering that the album before it (Bloody Kisses) has an actual song that name drops Halloween.

Other typical spoopy season stuff that often gets spun by me includes Deceased, October 31, Acid Witch, and Cultes des Ghoules. I know Cultes des Ghoules might be a bit out of place amongst the rest of those but their music always had this black and white horror movie vibe to it - especially the EP Spectres Over Transylvania.

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:36 am 

Wilytank wrote:
j_bentley12885 wrote:
66samhain wrote:

Hell, October Rust has a Christmas song on it. So essentially, that album is the equivalent of people who are okay with department stores skipping Halloween decorations and going right to setting up the Christmas ones even though it's September. This is also considering that the album before it (Bloody Kisses) has an actual song that name drops Halloween.

I have always thought that Type O Negative's albums have both a Autumn and Winter feel to them. World Coming Down also has a song titled Hallows Eve (actually my favorite song off of World Coming Down).

My personal picks for autumn albums :

Drudkh - Autumn Aurora (duh)
Falkenbach - ...magni blandinn ok megintiri...
Enslaved - Eld
Obsequiae - Aria of Vernal Tombs
Agalloch - The Mantle
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
King Diamond - Abigail
Black Sabbath - First 6 albums
Tank - This Means War & Honour and Blood
Dimmu Borgir - Stormblast (original)
Ulver - Bergtatt
Type O Negative - Entire discography but mainly October Rust (duh)

Some non metal albums i would like to mention :

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Juju
Sisters of Mercy - Floodland
Fief - Entire discography
Elder Scrolls : Oblivion soundtrack
The Crow 1994 motion picture soundtrack
Rush - Signals (Yes Rush is on the archives but they were not a heavy band during this era)

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:18 pm 

I absolutely hate the end of summer, but I guess listening to my old favourite My Dying Bride, Opeth and Cradle Of Filth records from the late 90's/early 2000's always helps.

j_bentley12885
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:28 pm 

MercyfulKing wrote:
Wilytank wrote:
I have always thought that Type O Negative's albums have both a Autumn and Winter feel to them. World Coming Down also has a song titled Hallows Eve (actually my favorite song off of World Coming Down).

I think if I hadn't picked up World Coming Down in winter it'd be more of an autumn album for me.

Non metal autumn tunes for me would include

The first two Swans EPs
Wipers - Over the Edge
Killing Joke - Revelations
Misfits - Earth A.D. and Legacy of Brutality

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:38 am 

Oh, another one:

Lulu. I listen to Lulu every October, and I still think disc 1 is pretty boring and still think disc 2 is a masterpiece.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:40 pm 

Negură Bunget: 'n crugu bradului for some reason reminds me of Fall/Autumn. Phenomenal black metal album too.

TheUnhinged
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:30 am 

66samhain wrote:

I remember being a teenager and listening to Bloody Kisses (Death in the Family) while walking home at night while it was snowing, and I have to say it was the most fitting combination ever. I always saw the more deathy/atmospheric type of gothic/doom to have autumnal vibes, whereas Type O alternate between winter and summer for me.

21stCenturySkippyMan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:07 am 

Any album put out by Maggot Stomp really reminds me of the fall of death metal. ; )

nephilim80
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:46 am 

Katatonia. Their whole discography. Specially The Fall of Hearts and Viva Emptiness.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2