Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:51 pm 

Y'all, I can't wait to hear "Jabroni".

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:04 pm 

King Shit will also be a winner. if it were any other band i'd be dreading it but Razor is one of the few that can pull it off.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:40 am 

Kalaratri wrote:

That's great! :lol: :headbang:

Firmament1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:12 am 

Not an bad song, goofy delivery of "RISE" aside, but as has already been said my a few others, I'm not a huge fan of the production. Really wish the guitars were louder, and the drums didn't sound so loud, and murky.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:49 pm 

Honestly, bad production is the only type I can imagine Razor having. If they didn't have a wonky production it just wouldn't feel right.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:12 am 

The weakest part to me is the vocals, guitars slay as usual. I like the production, feels grimy like Razor should be.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:13 am 

doomicus wrote:
Honestly, bad production is the only type I can imagine Razor having. If they didn't have a wonky production it just wouldn't feel right.

To me Razor's production, while never technically "good", has actually been very up and down over the years. Evil Invaders is one of my favorite sounding albums ever, while the drums on Malicious Intent are as big a problem for me as St. Anger's drums. This new one... it's somewhere in the middle, definitely appreciate how weird and apart it sounds in 2022, but man those guitars sure are buried by drums and vocals. Song is solid though!

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:56 pm 

Violent Restitution has one of the nastiest guitar tones i've ever heard. love it.

Eradicatedseraphim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:27 pm 

Solid riffs marred by horrible thin production and overloud drums.

Firmament1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:50 pm 

So unfortunately, Dave Carlo's wife has gone to the hospice.

https://twitter.com/davecarlorazor/stat ... 5522156545

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:13 pm 

Here's another single:

firelord_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:34 pm 

Fuck yeah, enjoyed that one a lot more than the previous one for some reason. A bit more straight forward, and the silence breaks are cool.

This record won't be anything special in my book but I'm glad they've finally got something going again, crazy thinking Dave put this stuff together while also going through all that nightmare healthcare shit with his wife. Bless him!

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:25 pm 

This beat the fucking snot out of the last song; great shit!

Firmament1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:34 am 

Vocals are a bit loud on the first verse, and I'm not a huge fan of the weird stop-start right after the chorus, but the riffs and drumming are seriously on-point here.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:50 am 

'Cycle of contempt' out today!
Sounds like Razor alright, the lyrical and vocal aggression are still intact and the general pissed off attitude carries the whole record really well. On the downside, the production is painfully dry, the guitar sounds like it's not even plugged into the amp at times and there are more dud riffs than interesting ones. Probably a 70% for me on first listen.
Total respect and admiration for putting it out under those conditions, wishing Dave all the best.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:28 am 

Production isn't great, but I can overlook it when the music thrashes this hard.

firelord_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:33 am 

Well, it's Razor alright, but apart from adhering to their 200 miles an hour style it sounds kinda rusty. Many of the vocal phrasings come off as goofy rather than cocky and the production makes more or less all of the riffs sound the same to me, with barely a single memorable one. I love that they're back but this isn't the material I'd want to hear live :p

Anyone know who the first guest vocalist on Crossed is? The post-solo one has to be Rob from Sacrifice but there's no info anywhere.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:45 pm 

Lagartija wrote:
Sounds like Razor alright, the lyrical and vocal aggression are still intact and the general pissed off attitude carries the whole record really well. On the downside, the production is painfully dry, the guitar sounds like it's not even plugged into the amp at times and there are more dud riffs than interesting ones. Probably a 70% for me on first listen.
Total respect and admiration for putting it out under those conditions, wishing Dave all the best.

This would be pretty much my take, if not for the complete lack of imagination in the vocal department, which turns this from decent to actively irritating for me. Over half the songs use the exact same vocal pattern for the verses. The sheer repetitiveness is just baffling to me. They've reused the same pattern several times since Shotgun Justice but on this album the problem is worse than ever. Razor is one of my favorite bands ever and it's especially hard to hate on this in light of what's been going on with Dave and his family. I hope having album out gives them better touring/festival opportunities and plenty of new fans. But based only on its musical merits, this a fairly big letdown.

asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:36 pm 

firelord_ wrote:
Anyone know who the first guest vocalist on Crossed is? The post-solo one has to be Rob from Sacrifice but there's no info anywhere.

Danko Jones.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:10 pm 

Bloodstone wrote:
Lagartija wrote:

This would be pretty much my take, if not for the complete lack of imagination in the vocal department, which turns this from decent to actively irritating for me. Over half the songs use the exact same vocal pattern for the verses. The sheer repetitiveness is just baffling to me. They've reused the same pattern several times since Shotgun Justice but on this album the problem is worse than ever. Razor is one of my favorite bands ever and it's especially hard to hate on this in light of what's been going on with Dave and his family. I hope having album out gives them better touring/festival opportunities and plenty of new fans. But based only on its musical merits, this a fairly big letdown.

After a few listens, this is also my assessment.

The music is genuinely killer but the vocals and lyrics are completely devoid of imagination. The choruses for basically every song are simple phrases made up of a few one and two syllable words repeated over and over again. Throughout the whole album the rhymes are very obvious. It makes modern Kreator sound like Bad Religion. Somebody needs to buy this man a thesaurus.

The opener 'Flames of Hatred' hits pretty hard, but from 'Jabroni' onwards it's a bit of a cringe-fist. And what's the deal with every song being about beating people up? This is basically tough guy hardcore with good riffs.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:26 pm 

I've listened to the album a few times now and I like it, but it does have its flaws. The production is really bad, especially the drums. On headphones, it's almost unlistenable, but when I tried it on my lower quality computer speakers it was actually easier to handle.

I agree Bob Reid's vocal patterns are pretty one-dimensional, but it doesn't bother me at all. The bigger problem is that I just don't think he sounds as good here as he used to (which is understandable). I don't consider this album a let down because few bands have gone through as much adversity as Razor, and it still sounds like them. I'm happy with it, even if it's not perfect. They do need to get the production sorted out for next time though.

Rodman wrote:
And what's the deal with every song being about beating people up?

Razor has been singing about this for a while. I'm pretty sure most of the songs on Shotgun Justice are about fighting with people.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:15 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:

Rodman wrote:
And what's the deal with every song being about beating people up?

Razor has been singing about this for a while. I'm pretty sure most of the songs on Shotgun Justice are about fighting with people.

This may be true. It's very possible that I'm less affected by lyrics on earlier Razor albums because the ferocity of the riffs is so overwhelming.

In any event, it just seems a bit lame for a 50-something with decades of life experience to still be writing - almost exclusively - about stepping to people.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:01 pm 

For me, the main issue with this album is the production. The drums and vocals are so much louder than the guitars that they overpower them, making the guitars sound weak and muddy.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:58 pm 

I've only heard the first single and wasn't impressed, but since it was part of the main thread, and for whoever missed updates on the question like me, Dave's wife has ultimately, and sadly, passed away: https://twitter.com/davecarlorazor/stat ... 3P9MIrAAAA

It isn't my intention to justify a lackluster album with life issues but holy fuck did this man pass through a literal Hell in his life. Hope the tides will turn for him sooner or later.

R.I.P. Rose.

It's the dawn of descending...

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:11 pm 

First time listening to Razor...sounds decent to me. Some production issues but nothing I can't handle. Way better and more fun than that last Exhorder album if that's worth anything. I kind of like the meat and potatoes, bone-headed nature of it and I think the closer "King Shit" is fucking amazing....god, what a way to end an album :lol:. Will have to check out their classic albums when I get the chance.

Firmament1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:32 am 

So Dave's gone on a huge rant about the rather mixed reception that the album has been receiving on his instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjBw_fMpNVN/

Quote:
Friends, you know I Fucking LOVE our new album. We worked harder on this album than we ever have on any record we made. Now I don’t mind if it’s not your kind of music. But what I DO mind are these fuck nut snowflake self-proclaimed “experts” who go online and tell others not to check it out. Attention seeking Idiots who do not understand who we are, why we play the way we do, or really anything at all about the style we play. Nor do they have a fucking clue about HOW we made this album. Every attempt to pontificate on how or what we did in the studio reads like mickey mouse bullshit 2nd grade journalism .They really don’t get it. They’re just idiots telling you not to listen or to check it out. I’m here to tell you that I love this record and I have evaluated it in every way possible. It’s the record I wanted to make and it is the record I will love 10 years from now if I’m still here. I don’t need lessons from anybody on what makes good metal. I decide for myself and you should too. And to be fair most of the reviews I’ve seen have been very positive. But my OCD causes me to obsess on the negative. So to the positive and knowledgeable people like blabbermouth.net and brave words, you guys know the band history and you gave us good reviews because you knew this album was very consistent with our best output. And to the many others who have given us good reviews thank you. We (I) love you. You speak to our fan base in the language they understand.
BUT to the useless tits and losers at Angry Metal Loser and to the idiots who hang around metal archives writing no nothing full of shit reviews, and to the rejects who like to pile on little no nothing shitty ass comments to get there 15 seconds of fame (then come to our shows and tell us how much they love us), to all of those people I say SUCK MY BONER!. Hope that’s clear enough. Your worthless and pathetic. Go make some music of your own since you know so much. Asswipe.#angrymetalguy #metal
#getlost #idiots #thinkforyourself #thrash

Full disclosure, I myself have recently submitted a negative review of the new album here. That being said, I don't think you need to dislike this new album to think that this response is really petty.

I don't want to come off as condescending, or like I know the guy personally. And if this is insensitive, I'm truly sorry, but Dave, if you're reading this, please don't get negative comments online get to you. Especially not now, with what you and your family have just gone through.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:58 am 

There's something very ironic about a guy who just released an album full of songs espousing his supposed toughness having a social media meltdown because a few people who obviously do know and love metal (why else would they be listening to a brand new Razor album in 2022?) offering some rather benign criticism about certain aspects of his latest release.

I understand that the guy has been through a lot, but this is a very bad look.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:11 am 

I don't think I've ever seen a musician praise Blabbermouth for their coverage before, first time for everything I guess.

I only just recently checked out Razor for the first time a couple months ago so I haven't been particularly motivated to listen to their new one, but the things folks are pointing out about it make me think that it probably wouldn't appeal to me anyway. It's a damn shame to see this sort of thin-skinned reaction considering the good will he's been building up lately, but I can also understand him being particularly sensitive with everything he's been through. And as a musician myself, the "let's see you do better" line will never not be funny to me.

firelord_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:28 am 

MA shoutout!!!

I'm sure seeing people recommending against your hearts pride is crushing, but negative criticism is part of the game. Here's hoping he's just under a lot of stress and lost his temper, Dave Carlo is probably the last musician I'd have figured being this entitled to others opinions. Cycles of Contempt doesn't suck but it also can't hold a candle to VR or Shotgun Justice/Open Hostility, despite being mostly the same style. I don't expect them to play VR in 150% tempo live these days and I also don't expect them to top those records, but I'm a huge Razor fan nonetheless. Really don't see what the big deal is.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:53 am 

For anyone who doesn't know anything about Dave, this would come across as a steaming rant. That said, if you know even an inkling about what he's been through over the years, it should be obvious that there's more weight to this than just negative reviews (because let's be real, they will always be there). To me, especially considering he's definitely grieving the recent loss of his wife (RIP Rose), I wouldn't be surprised if he was just trying his best to keep himself together, got hit super hard, then saw negative reviews and it ended up being a breaking point of sorts. Plus, some negative reviews do indeed come across as grammatical masturbation and an excuse for someone to get their 15 minutes of fame by shitting on someone else (I'm speaking generally; this isn't directed towards anyone specific here).

Not to imply that this isn't a bad look for Dave, but what I'm saying is I can see him needing to blow off some steam and to just "let it out". EDIT - I'm open to be proven wrong here.

I haven't heard the whole new Razor album yet. I'll definitely get around to it at some point soon. But I took a listen to the 2 singles in this thread again, took my headphones out and cranked the bass in my stereo system and it did make a noticeable improvement in the production. Still needs a volume and mid-boost in the guitars and bass in my opinion, but luckily I was able to tinker slightly and give it more punchiness.

Musically, what I've heard is damn solid. I'm not a thrash guy myself because I find most of it completely lacks balls, aggression and fire (probably why I always gravitate to black/thrash to get my fill). But Razor's definitely a band that rips you apart and this is no different. Better than Violent Restitution? Well that's a hard album to beat, but this is still good and it's a damn miracle it was able to come out at all, given the circumstances.

Dave, if you're reading this, a lot of us love the absolute shit out of you. Even those of us who don't really know you that well.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:17 pm 

Yeah from everything I read, he's gone through a lot of shit. Makes sense he wouldn't react well to some of this stuff. I don't begrudge him for it. Haven't tried the new one yet though.

Playing Violent Restitution these past few days - what a great piece of thrash. It's refreshingly down to earth in a way. Just nothing but a blast of working class rage and vitriol. I dig it.

edit - the new one's good. I guess I don't get the backlash from some people. Worst I can say is it gets a bit repetitive in the last half, but still sounds good. I'd say the same for Violent Restitution frankly. It's just a feature of it - very straightforward. No need for ballads or variety for this specific kind of music.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:34 pm 

I love how everyone's main complaint of the album is the production, as if every other album of theirs was produced by Andy Sneap. Sure it's 2022 but it's fuckin' Razor ffs. Although it's a shame that the guitars are so low in the mix since Dave's always been the band's most consistent strength (apart from Sheepdog, of course).

As for his online rant, as immature as it sounds, it's perfectly understandable. I'd say that, in his situation, receiving bad news even on the album, which was arguably the only thing that was keeping his mind free during these tough times, was too much to handle.

It's the dawn of descending...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:41 pm 

Yeah I don't even know if the production is that bad to begin with. Granted I have a bit of hearing loss myself so I may just hear it a bit differently. And production's never been terribly important if everything else is good. This isn't as bad as something like the last Tarot album for instance though. It sounds gritty and thrashy and it works I think.

easyrocker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:54 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

edit - the new one's good. I guess I don't get the backlash from some people. Worst I can say is it gets a bit repetitive in the last half, but still sounds good. I'd say the same for Violent Restitution frankly. It's just a feature of it - very straightforward. No need for ballads or variety for this specific kind of music.

Yeah this one’s right in line with Open Hostility for me. Music has a real sense of urgency when they get going- they’re never plodding along which is something that seems to happen quite often when old thrashers come back after a while (new Evildead comes to mind). The mix gets a little annoying on headphones but sounds just fine to me through speakers.

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:49 pm 

I can definitely understand his frustration at pouring his heart into this album in such a difficult time, putting his heart into it, and receiving negativity. I wouldn't jump to call critics snowflakes, though, given their criticisms are their own valid opinions on things like production and sound structure and not even grievances with the lyrics or themes. It sounds like reviewers ARE thinking for themselves, just not in the way he wants.

Also I believe he gave Blabbermouth a positive mention because their review gave it a 9/10, but being realistic, Blabbermouth only rates things on a 6-10/10 scale, and sometimes it seems like they pick between an 8 and 9 at random.

I enjoyed the album though! It was some nice, speedy angry thrash. I didn't notice any weirdness with the production besides sounding a bit tinny, though I have problems with auditory processing so I've never been that great at picking up on strong vs weak production.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:07 am 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
Although it's a shame that the guitars are so low in the mix since Dave's always been the band's most consistent strength (apart from Sheepdog, of course).

Well that's really all I'm saying! It's not like it's badly recorded or anything - it isn't. Just give the guitars and bass a little boost. A little bit more oomph. A little more "eeerreerrr" (imagine turning a dial up with your hand). Literally that's all! The music itself is good.

mynameishere
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:01 am 

The new album is solid.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:19 pm 

Listening through it and I think it's solid-- about on par with Open Hostility. The riffs could have come straight out of 1991 or 92 and I wouldn't know any different, they don't have that particular lack of inspiration and feel that so often characterizes thrash riffs from old school bands that have overstayed their welcome. The vocals are a bit of a weak point; I don't think it's as rough as some have said, but Bob Reid's definitely not in his twenties anymore and his vocal phrasing has never been the most original, he tends to reuse the same patterns (still love his work on Shotgun Justice though). As for the lyrics, yeah, they're not exactly Proust, but this is what Razor does. Just because they're in their fifties doesn't mean I want them to start singing about, like, deep societal issues or whatever. I want to hear Bob Reid snarl about how you thought you were tough and you messed with the wrong guy and now he's gonna beat your brains in with a shovel.

As for Carlo's post on Instagram, yeah, I gotta imagine after all the absolutely heartbreaking stuff he's been putting up with lately, culminating in the loss of his wife this month, seeing mixed or negative reviews for an album he poured a lot of himself into could easily have pushed him over the edge. Obviously none of us know him personally (presumably), but the vibe he's given off in interviews and in some of the videos posted in this thread has always been that of a humble, thoughtful guy, so I'm not inclined to judge him for an outburst made at a time of unbelievable grief.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:45 am 

true_death wrote:
First time listening to Razor...sounds decent to me. Some production issues but nothing I can't handle. Way better and more fun than that last Exhorder album if that's worth anything. I kind of like the meat and potatoes, bone-headed nature of it and I think the closer "King Shit" is fucking amazing....god, what a way to end an album :lol:. Will have to check out their classic albums when I get the chance.

Check out Evil Invaders from the Sheepdog era and Shotgun Justice from the Reid era next.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:29 pm 

The more I listen to this album the more I like it. Even the production bothers me less with each listen (but the drums really do sound bad).

Bob Reid really adds an interesting dynamic to the record. The vocal lines, while a bit corny at times, are really funny and feel like they fit the vibe Razor is going for.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next