Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
domportera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:36 pm 

I never really enjoyed Djent. I find it boring, too rhythmic without melody, and even sometimes the rhythms are boring as hell too. Some bands do a decent job of putting something a bit more interesting in there, like Periphery, who I've heard a couple of songs of. But beyond that I generally find the genre a snooze-fest. Djent, I feel, is a style that could be incorporated into metal songs here and there to add some variation in style, but as an independent genre itself I think it fails.

StevenWright
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:07 pm 

domportera wrote:
I never really enjoyed Djent. I find it boring, too rhythmic without melody, and even sometimes the rhythms are boring as hell too. Some bands do a decent job of putting something a bit more interesting in there, like Periphery, who I've heard a couple of songs of. But beyond that I generally find the genre a snooze-fest. Djent, I feel, is a style that could be incorporated into metal songs here and there to add some variation in style, but as an independent genre itself I think it fails.

derp this derp

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:52 pm 

It tends to be highly interesting for five seconds, and for the rest of the duration of the eight minutes long song, extremely boring,

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:10 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
It tends to be highly interesting for five seconds, and for the rest of the duration of the eight minutes long song, extremely boring,

You hit the nail on the head. Countless times I tried to actively listen to a meshuggah song. But after a minute or so I get bored. So I turn it off, and put on something with actual energy or/and emotion.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:12 pm 

Sounds like a bunch of wank-off hipster shit to me.

necropsyalpha
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:02 am 

Djent sounds like a black rapper trying to say Gentleman

StevenWright
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:18 am 

oh please tell me I can have more than 1 quote for my signature!

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:58 am 

StevenWright wrote:
oh please tell me I can have more than 1 quote for my signature!

I believe you can, as long as the end result doesn't end up taking up more space than your average post.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:03 pm 

Cool genre, these Meshuggah worship bands are pretty cool but still don't do it as well as Meshuggah. They're the only other band that really sounds like that, and no one is ever going to live up to the standards they set. They created it, and are the only ones to truly master it. A lot of bands that do that style end up being clones of Meshuggah, and while they're good they don't live up to what Meshuggah has done. They should branch out a bit more and be their own band instead of trying to copy everything Frederick Thordendal writes.

Really good math metal/progressive tech metal though, but I don't feel like it needs it's own name. I understand it's onomatopoeia for the guitar sound, but if we're gonna call that "Djent" then we might as well call doom metal DUNNNNNNN and black metal JJGGGZZZJJJJGGGTTTT (static noise to mimmick the production, stereotypical I know. And yes I do know not all black metal bands sound like that)

RacoCooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:10 pm 

I honestly like djent even though I think the name for the genre is really stupid. I think bands like Periphery and Textures are great and it's cool to see bands like After the Burial sort of adopt the style. I feel like a lot of people are going to automatically hate the "djent" bands thought just to be contrary or just to hate whatever is semi-popular.

JT Rager
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:58 pm 

My opinions:

Djent is best with Meshuggah. You know, where the genre came from. Yeah, obviously 99.9% of the djent scene doesn't even sound like them and they just use polymetric riffs along other stuff. IMO the post-hardcore/fake screamo influence most of these bands have ruins it. Polymetric riffs just sound best behind Jens Kidman's growl and a groove-thrash backbone.

I also never got how Animals as Leaders got lumped into djent along with the other bands. If you listen to the first album you don't even hear many djent riffs, there's a lot of melody and stuff going on. They change time signatures a hell of a lot, but there's a lot more to polymeter than just lots of odd times. Weightless definitely is djenty though.

-Tracie Harris

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:36 pm 

Quote:
polymetric riffs

Erm, excuse me?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:42 pm 

I have no idea what Djent is, and from what I read, I'd prefer to remain ignorant about it.

Xanzotire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:11 pm 

It's probably been pointed out before, but 'Djent' isn't necessarily a genre. It's a term originally coined by Frederik Thordendal to describe the sound of a four note power chord played on a detuned or extended range guitar that sounds more 'metallic' than the usual open string 'chug'. The term was picked up by Misha Mansoor who would use it on guitar forums, talking about gear which was conducive to producing a 'djenty' sound. The key Meshuggah track which he regards as displaying the 'djent' sound is Aztec Two Step. Misha himself maintains that the word should only be used as an onomatopeia, and prefers to refer to Periphery's style broadly as 'progressive metal'. In this interview featuring Misha and Marc Okubo from Veil of Maya they both express their lack of enthusiasm for the 'djent' label and desire to be understood as progressive metal musicians.

In recent times the word seems to have become something of a catchall phrase for bands which have demonstrated some level of Meshuggah influence, encompassing everything from Technical Deathcore bands like After the Burial and Veil of Maya to the more Jazzy ambient stylings of Animals as Leaders. Especially in the case of TechDeathcore bands it seems to have been applied after the fact of the term becoming popularised through bands like Periphery, since most of those bands started up in the mid-2000's, a good few years before the label really began to catch on. So yeah, I don't think it's really possible to give opinions on 'Djent' as a whole since it's nowhere near a unified enough entity to pass judgement on in one fell swoop. As with all such things it's probably more productive to focus on the merits of individual bands rather than talking about disparate groups under a single label which inevitably leads to oversimplification.

I will say that it's fairly amusing to see djent labellled as a 'hipster' or trend thing. My perception of it was as something that was spurred on and supported mainly by users of popular guitar forums and the guitar geeks that inhabit them, in particular sevenstring.org has threads going into several hundred pages on each of the notable bands associated with the label. If you watch the interview I linked to with Marc and Misha from the beginning, you'll see them remark on the nature of their fanbase, in particular the predominance of gear geeks. Although I do know a lot of people my age who like these bands, the people I know who like them are all instrumentalists of some description, furthering my own perception that the genre's general appeal is to people with a borderline obsessive interest in musical gear and musicianship.

JT Rager wrote:
I also never got how Animals as Leaders got lumped into djent along with the other bands.

I think it's pretty obvious. Not only do they have the 'djent' sounding detuned rhythmn guitar parts on occassion, and a generally 'progressive' aura, the debut album was produced by Misha Mansoor. And I believe they've been on tour with bands such as Periphery and Veil of Maya. Tosin Abasi also briefly had a spot as a touring guitarist with Born of Osiris, so they have both personal, proffessional and musical connections to other bands with the label enough to be associated with it.
Rush in and die, dogs--I was a man before I was a king." - R. Howard

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:17 pm 

Hopefully this thread stops here, there are more than enough opinions expressed through these 6 pages. :-P

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

pbsisbad
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:31 pm 

I liked it. Djent, however, is a genre of progressive rock like Epic Symphonic metal is a genre of Symphonic metal: it's not really a genre, just a movement within the community.

2conan4u wrote:
I don't wanna like something you all dislike or dislike something all you other fanatics like, I just want to belong and be one of you all, someone please tell me what toooooooooooooo thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink. aaaaaagggghhh

You have 350 posts and your going off on a tangent like this? Relax. You won't get banned for liking djent, just as you won't get in trouble for liking Epic Symphonic metal. Djent, to answer your question, is a movement in progressive metal in which revolves around the palm-muted, distorted guitar sound, from which it takes it's name.
So you go to a show, and you can't mosh... who cares. Are you there to run into people or to listen to the music? If you want to run into people go to the mall and run through groups of mall goths or something for fun.

TIMJ Profile

ErectileProjectile
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:47 pm 

pbsisbad wrote:
it's not really a genre, just a movement within the community.

THIS
And who the hell cares about Virgin Steele? That band doesn't matter.

You sir, have made a very powerful enemy this day.

CrushedRevelation wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Better question is why is there a rooster on the cd?

Because they like cocks?

Notorious Arab
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:35 am 

I could say that this "Djent" fag i mean fad will die quickly in a few years...

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:42 am 

The only Djent bands I tolerate are Meshuggah and Vildhjarta, Vildhjarta is actually pretty awesome when I think of it, the rest doesn't really interest me.

Here's a song from Vildhjarta's first album from 2011, definitely not boring, at least not for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1g31nPkKoA

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:07 am 

^ Heh, I actually came to post the exact same thing. I really enjoy Vildhjarta.

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:23 am 

I'm glad I'm not the only one haha.

JT Rager
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:32 pm 

Notorious Arab wrote:
I could say that this "Djent" fag i mean fad will die quickly in a few years...

You're so cool and edgy.

As for Vildhjarta, I downloaded their free 2-song release and didn't really care for either one. I think it was the vocalist, because I remember the guitar being really interesting. The growls were lackluster and the singing sounded almost post-grungey...

-Tracie Harris

ApparatusUnearth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:46 pm 

The new Animals as Leaders is fucking awesome.

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:18 pm 

JT Rager wrote:
As for Vildhjarta, I downloaded their free 2-song release and didn't really care for either one. I think it was the vocalist, because I remember the guitar being really interesting. The growls were lackluster and the singing sounded almost post-grungey...

Yeah the vocals aren't anything special and are maybe generic but the rest is completely awesome, just like you said, the riffs are the most interesting thing about them.
Their debut Masstaden is different in terms of vocals from their EP tho, there's barely any clean singing which I despised in Omnislash.

Nameless_Rites
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:39 pm 

Just more of the same DUH DUH DUH... DU DU DUH DUH DUH guitar with a glossy coating. Said it before and I'll say it again, anything "-core" = get the hell away from me.

ErectileProjectile
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:44 pm 

Why?

CrushedRevelation wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:

Because they like cocks?

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:53 pm 

Because -core is the HIV of metal. With the exception of grindcore, of course.

Deadbread
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:10 am 

I don't like the genre myself but you CANNOT deny that Animals As Leaders is fucking awesome!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:32 am 

Deadbread wrote:
I don't like the genre myself but you CANNOT deny that Animals As Leaders is fucking awesome!

What, I cannot deny it? Well, I will. Animals As Leaders is not fucking awesome at all.

diamondfamicom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:06 pm 

I hate when drummers can't break away from that half-time riding on the crash beat. it's so boring

for example the guy from animals as leaders

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:08 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Animals As Leaders is not fucking awesome at all.

I second this motion.

ErectileProjectile
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:07 am 

Tosin Asabi is awesome, not AAL

CrushedRevelation wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:

Because they like cocks?

aporyon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:40 am 

I think that when the term djent became trendy it started to went downfall. All the "cool" deathcore guys started to incoorprate that sound without any musical propose besides to sound "cool" and all the other wanna be "cool" kids started to copy them.

Let's not forget that before the term djent, there was Coprofago, Textures, Scarve, Four Question Marks and even The Dillinger Escape Plan taking Meshuggah as a notable influence and making incredible music.

The thing is that Meshuggah became a mainstream band and then all that crap started to happened. I prefer considering the worthless music as djent and the good one as proggy, mathy or posty you name it.

Auselesspileofflesh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:19 am 

Thanks to this chat I now realize that "Thall" is not even a new term/sub genre of a sub genre. All these new wave "Thall" bands are just jumping on a bandwagon whilst beating a dead horse

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:33 am 

what the fuck

nakzox
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:24 am 

Well, because this was bumped, I decided to read through this whole thread and lost quite a few brain cells while doing so.

(Most) Djent still sucks though.

Hexenmacht46290
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:13 pm 

Like a lot of death core, I think that the vast majority doesn’t write interesting songs. With death core, they tend to be angry, and unintellectual, so it’s expected. But with djent, they act like pretentious jazz snobs, so it’s the same as most jazz, to me. Complexity for its own sake, rather than focused on writing good songs.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:47 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Like a lot of [x genre I don't like], I think that the vast majority doesn’t write interesting songs. With [x genre I don't like], they tend to be [typical attribute of x genre], and [other attribute of x genre] so it’s expected. But with [y genre I don't like], they act like [stereotype of y genre related to z genre], so it’s the same as most [z genre], to me. [Another attribute] for its own sake, rather than focused on writing good songs.

Couldn't we just fill these in for pretty much every genre?

Hexenmacht46290
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:16 pm 

Yes, we could. But this is a thread about a genre I don’t like, so I explained why I don’t like it. I guess I could say it just doesn’t appeal to me. It just reminds me of the jazz snob relatives I have, and I think it’s the wrong kind of attitude. It’s not something that speaks to me, or inspires me. I also see that it’s popular with these “shredder” YouTube guitarists, who I think just play stuff that sounds good, to themselves, while they are playing their own guitars, but don’t know how to combine their stuff with good bass, drums, or vocals. It sounds too much like a gear demo, and less like a song, to me at least. I think it sounds like bedroom music, except that bedroom black metal usually has songwriting, so I’ll just listen to that instead. Just my opinion.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:21 pm 

We're always more forgiving of music we like. There's probably thousands upon thousands of black metal albums filled with nothing but blasts, shrieks, and rehashed Norwegian riffs. And no end to trve kvlt black metal elitists defending them, not really any better or worse than the jazz snobs (and trust me, I know lots of them too). But people give them a pass because they've found a smaller number of bands that resonate with them. You're looking in exactly the wrong place if you're expecting Youtube comedy and sketch guitar videos to feature top-notch songwriting. Sturgeon's Law is pretty universal. But the best stuff is really good, you just sometimes have to spend time looking for it, and I doubt most people here have really done that.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next