Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:15 pm 

Legendary US death metallers Autopsy will release their eighth full length, Morbidity Triumphant, on September 30 through Peaceville Records. From the press release:

Quote:
Since first bursting onto the death metal scene with the now-genre-classic "Severed Survival" back in 1989 and following up with the equally revered "Mental Funeral" album, the influential U.S. quartet has carved an unwavering legacy over three decades as masters and purveyors of the vile sides of the extreme metal spectrum. And now, AUTOPSY marks its reinvigorated return, presenting the first new full-length studio opus since 2014's "Tourniquets, Hacksaws And Graves" with "Morbidity Triumphant", a savage offering of brutal death, showing the U.S. legends still have an unbridled hunger for the sadistic, never reluctant to step beyond the threshold of decency.

"Morbidity Triumphant", the band's eighth album, is truly a dark delight for seasoned and new listeners alike, with a raw organic sound perfectly encapsulating what makes AUTOPSY so distinguishable among its peers, for what could easily be considered one of its strongest offerings to date.

The driving force of AUTOPSY, as ever, is the virtuoso guitar pairing of Eric Cutler and Danny Coralles, effortlessly trading off their schizophrenic leads and switching from all-out death metal madness to groove-laden heavy doom, with unmistakable drum/vocal legend Chris Reifert being master of proceedings, spewing his own infinitely creative maniacal musings. "Morbidity Triumphant" also notably marks the first album to feature new bassist Greg Wilkinson, currently also seen in STATIC ABYSS along with Chris.

Says Reifert: "Working with Greg on the AUTOPSY record was totally different than the STATIC ABYSS one, mostly since AUTOPSY is a complete band with their own pre-established ways of doing things. We just abducted him into the band and had him roll with our ways, which he took to like a fish to gasoline so much so that he contributed a song musically which fit in perfectly with the rest of the sickening anthems on the album."

"Morbidity Triumphant" was recorded at Opus Studios, with long-associated engineer Adam Munoz at the helm. Mastering was completed by Ken Lee.

The cover artwork appears courtesy of Wes Benscoter (SLAYER, BLOODBATH),with a new work of twisted and sinister genius.

Chris says: "Wes delivered another stunner. What a maniac! We didn't give him much to work with as usual. I think, maybe, just a couple of songtitles and themes maybe and his imagination did most of the work. The album title came along after the fact. After having our minds blown by Wes's art, we arrived at 'Morbidity Triumphant' which seemed to fit the theme of the painting as well as the way we feel about the state of the band in general. We've been working hard at our sick craft with zero compromise and it seems we're still hitting our stride somehow."

Tracklisting:
1. Stab The Brain (03:15)
2. Final Frost (04:09)
3. The Voracious One (04:27)
4. Born In Blood (03:48)
5. Flesh Strewn Temple (04:01)
6. Tapestry Of Scars (04:57)
7. Knife Slice, Axe Chop (02:49)
8. Skin By Skin (04:09)
9. Maggots In The Mirror (01:43)
10. Slaughterer Of Souls (04:27)
11. Your Eyes Will Turn To Dust (03:41)

More Autopsy is always welcome. Chris has been a pretty busy guy this year between releasing the debut full length from Static Abyss and this new record. Autopsy usually changes things up at least a bit with every new record so I'm curious what they have in store for us this time.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leet_Speaker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:17 pm 

Album looks good and the song names sound like regular Autopsy. I'll be listening when this comes out.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:04 pm 

Fucking great cover art. Autopsy and Wes Benscoter go together so well. Will purchase without previewing as Autopsy haven't done me wrong yet. Also, the album title makes me think heavily of Celtic Frost.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:21 pm 

I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but I find the cover to be a bit cheesy. That skeleton in the center in particular looks a bit uncanny, and that face on the top left is sick, and not in the good horror way.

Still gonna give the album a spin in September, though.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:49 pm 

Glad they’re still going but I just have to make this clear: Severed Survival>Mental Funeral. I’m hyped on coffee and don’t give a fuck what someone else’s opinion is on this lol.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:52 pm 

Wes' art does work exceptionally work with Autopsy, really fits the vibe perfectly

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:45 am 

OK, that artwork's great!

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:32 pm 

New Tankard and Autopsy on the same day :hyper:
I'm sure the Autopsy will rule as usual, everything Chris Reifert does is quality. Been digging Violation Wound, Abscess and Static Abyss lately, great stuff.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:24 pm 

I read the title as "Mildly Triumphant". Now that's something I would like to hear.

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:15 pm 

Awesome!!!

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:20 am 

I kinda OD’d on Autopsy for a bit but this makes me excited. Bring it on.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:04 am 

Lagartija wrote:
Been digging Violation Wound, Abscess and Static Abyss lately, great stuff.

Don't miss out on The Ravenous!

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:28 pm 

I know if we get a new song soon it'll sound exactly like Autopsy, but I'm still also hoping they do release a song soon.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:02 am 

I don't know why, but I find "Knife Slice, Axe Chop" to be a really amusing song title.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:18 pm 

They just released the first single:

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:31 pm 

That’s…. Fucking awesome. I can’t wait!

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:21 pm 

SkullFracturingNightmare wrote:
I don't know why, but I find "Knife Slice, Axe Chop" to be a really amusing song title.

That title reminds me of "Knife, Gun, Axe" by Six Feet Under but I presume this song will have much less pig squeeling.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:09 pm 

New track is pretty fucking good. Very heavy Acts of the Unspeakable vibes.

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:43 pm 

I can't wait for this. I also definitely am feeling those Acts of the Unspeakable vibes. Another album I'll have to preorder!

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:36 pm 

They released another single:

elvenefrisian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:21 pm 

both songs are fantastic, this is really promising. video was a bit much though haha

it's really insane that Autopsy is still making such fine music after so long.

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:56 pm 

I've given the album a listen about 5 or so times now, and it's fantastic. It does everything you'd want an Autopsy album to do, and is a pretty good run time just over 40 minutes. The shorter format they were doing on the last couple releases was cool, but I suppose they felt energized with Greg coming into the band, and it's just nice to have a proper full length again from Autopsy.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:12 am 

Just listened to the album. Really like this one! :np:

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:36 am 

https://www.invisibleoranges.com/autops ... riumphant/

interviewed Autopsy again for this one (Eric this time)
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:05 pm 

Runko wrote:
Lagartija wrote:
Been digging Violation Wound, Abscess and Static Abyss lately, great stuff.

Don't miss out on The Ravenous!

Noted :thumbsup:

First full listen, and I concurr that the new record does indeed rule.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:20 pm 

I've listened to it twice now and for me this is top tier Autopsy. I think I like it better than the last couple of albums (which I also enjoyed).

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:52 pm 

Agreeing with what everyone's been saying. There's more of an uptempo, thrashing vibe to a lot of the songs, and when they segway into the band's patented doomier breaks, they feel less forced than on previous recent efforts. In fact (I don't normally do hyperboles like this), I think this might be the best Autopsy album since Mental Funeral.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:10 am 

I'm a bit confused right now. Ever since Skull Grinder was first released, it was considered an EP, and this new album is supposed to be the first new Autopsy full length in 8 years. But when I checked their discography on here, right now, for some reason that album is now listed as a full length on here. This can't be right, since that EP is only is 28 minutes long. It's never been viewed as a full length, until all of a sudden now, for some weird reason. This doesn't seem right.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:02 am 

Deathstalker1985 wrote:
I'm a bit confused right now. Ever since Skull Grinder was first released, it was considered an EP, and this new album is supposed to be the first new Autopsy full length in 8 years. But when I checked their discography on here, right now, for some reason that album is now listed as a full length on here. This can't be right, since that EP is only is 28 minutes long. It's never been viewed as a full length, until all of a sudden now, for some weird reason. This doesn't seem right.

Back when it was released they said they intended it to be an album (a la Reign in Blood), but Peaceville marketed it as an EP.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:29 am 

I've only heard the album once but I enjoyed it thoroughly. I think with a few listens I might agree with others that this is their best since Mental Funeral.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:55 pm 

Fuck I can't wait to get my hands on this album! Both of the songs I've heard did indeed remind me of Acts and Mental and the comments I'm reading here are raising my expectation levels through the roof! It's getting a local release here, it's saying it's available on their website, so if it's not in store today blood may get spilt...or I'll just have to be patient for another week.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:28 pm 

true_death wrote:
Deathstalker1985 wrote:

Back when it was released they said they intended it to be an album (a la Reign in Blood), but Peaceville marketed it as an EP.

That reminds me of something. Earlier this week, I was listening to Helstar's Clad in Black. The band considers it an EP (or they did while supporting it as a new release), but it's listed as a compilation here.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:50 pm 

^Yeah that Helstar Clad In Black EP release is just plain mental. 3 new songs, 3 covers and the whole Vampiro album as a bonus disc, which any self respecting Helstar fan would already have. Then charged full price for it. Why???!
But yes that Skull Grinder album or ep is confusing as fuck, Autopsy couldn't give a shit about what it is and probably have a good chuckle about it every once 'n' a while over a few beers at band practice, thinking about the nerds at MA stressing out about what it's actually classified as. Bastards.

ACFAN8895
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:44 am 

Fantastic record.

BUT, I do have one nitpick: The doom part in "Knife Slice, Axe Chop" goes by too quickly. They should have held out on that part for just a little longer. Other than that, it's great.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:53 am 

So am I weird for not really feeling this one? By far my least favorite Autopsy record post-reformation.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:53 am 

Sounding pretty good. Just more Autopsy - gnarly, gruesome stuff as usual. I dig it.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:05 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
I've only heard the album once but I enjoyed it thoroughly. I think with a few listens I might agree with others that this is their best since Mental Funeral.

That is a pretty big call.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:21 pm 

In my opinion, after listening to this a couple more times, it's an accurate call. I've enjoyed every single album since the reunion, but this is most certainly the best one (at least to my ears). The others have moments where they drag a bit too much; this one cuts the fat a little and is a massive fucking ripper as a result.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:59 pm 

This is a good one. I think the run time on this helps it a lot, any longer and I feel like it may have over stayed its welcome. Will need to listen to it more to see how it ranks in their discography for me. While I dig every Autopsy album, and enjoy them, usually with the later work I end up not coming back very often. Hoping this has more staying power than the last few.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:52 pm 

First listen and this is pretty far up there for me in their modern discography - its peaks aren't quite as high as Macabre Eternal, but it's probably the most balanced out of all of them, with the right ratio of filth, doominess, punkiness, and melody (with some exceptionally melodic moments that I wish they would explore more on future releases).

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next