Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Son of Nun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:00 am 

AxeCapitol wrote:
What’s the popular opinion as to when Megadeth went downhill?

When he discovered Jesus and conspiracy theories and Reganomics?

They actually got better after that (at least for a few records before a dip). Dystopia was good too.

~Guest 1452000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:18 am 

The System Has Failed saw the return of Chris Poland and his solos on that album are just ridiculous; some of my favorite solos in all of metal, not just Megadeth. For that alone (and a few good songs!) I think it's one of their better albums. But otherwise the last great one was Youthanasia as a few people have stated.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:53 am 

Megadeth has always been quite up and down, IMO. The good did outweigh the bad up until Countdown to Extinction. It's a step down from Rust in Peace, which is quite obviously their best. There is not a single weak track on it. After CtE the bad started to outweigh the good, but there are still bits of quality music in there, and The System Has Failed is probably one of my all time favorites of Megadeth.

United Abominations was a step down and quite disapointment for me, and I've never really cared enough about Megadeth's music since. Dave Mustaine's antics obviously didn't help me stay interested in his band either.

Spiral Architect wrote:
The System Has Failed saw the return of Chris Poland and his solos on that album are just ridiculous; some of my favorite solos in all of metal, not just Megadeth. For that alone (and a few good songs!) I think it's one of their better albums. But otherwise the last great one was Youthanasia as a few people have stated.

I actually prefer The System Has Failed. It has more memorable moments, and more contrast between songs, while being a cohesive record, and having some high energy songs. And yes, Poland's return was much appreciated too!

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:13 am 

I still regard Peace Sells as a great album, almost as good as Rust. I mean the song “The Conjuring” might be the best song they ever wrote, or at least on even footing with their best. Even the cover song is at least listenable. The weakest song is actually Devil’s Island for me. But it’s still alright. Everything else is pretty damn great Thrash.

~Guest 1452000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:14 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
I actually prefer The System Has Failed. It has more memorable moments, and more contrast between songs, while being a cohesive record, and having some high energy songs. And yes, Poland's return was much appreciated too!

Same, based on personal preference it's in my top 5, not gonna lie :lol: Some of the songs are a bit cheesy and not very Megadeth sounding but who cares, it's great stuff!

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:04 pm 

Avantasia's post-Metal Opera is better than their Metal Opera stuff imo. Moonglow is a masterpiece.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:06 pm 

Anaal Nathrakh has never released a bad record.

Also, Dave Hunt is one of the most talented extreme metal vocalists around these days (or any days).\

In regards to the Megadeth talk above me, I agree that band has been really inconsistent, releasing some of the best thrash ever and some real stinkers throughout their career. Post Rust has been meh overall though. One exception is that song "Sleepwalker" off United Abominations; it's a classic just as much as "Peace Sells" is in my opinion. I'd rank Peace Sells... as their best, with it having only 2 songs I'd skip.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:10 pm 

Janick Gers is the worst of Maiden's three guitarists.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:00 pm 

Judas Maiden wrote:

That's a tough one. He does help write some good stuff but he is annoying as hell on the stage running around, throwing his guitar around, planting his leg on the amps and those white high tops, lol. He acts like he should be in an 80's band.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:29 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
Judas Maiden wrote:

That's a tough one. He does help write some good stuff but he is annoying as hell on the stage running around, throwing his guitar around, planting his leg on the amps and those white high tops, lol. He acts like he should be in an 80's band.
Well, I'd have to say that he's in the right band, then...

:-D

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:45 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
Judas Maiden wrote:

So is he universally hated more for his onstage antics than his actual playing and writing contribution? The one time I saw Maiden live, Gers was riding on his guitar like it was a surf board. It was the first (and only) time I saw Maiden so it was quite funny to see that. But I guess if he kept on doing it and other similar antics, the novelty factor wears off.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:52 pm 

Maiden doesn't need 3 guitarists.

I mean c'mon, 3 guitarists is too much and it really doesn't add anything to the music and their live performance that a two-guitar set up hasn't already done. Adrian Smith was rehired because he's an integral part of their classic '80s era which I guess they needed to jump start their career when Bruce also rejoined back in 1999. And by then the band and its management grew fond of Gers that they didn't want to part with him I guess?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:54 pm 

I dunno if any band *needs* three guitarists, but looking at art only in terms of what's needed doesn't have to be the only way. Then again I've never been an expert on telling all of their leads and stuff apart and I only saw them once 5 years ago.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:57 pm 

When I saw Esoteric the three guitars were great and you could actually tell they were necessary. Same about some non metal bands I've seen (Swans, GY!BE). Maiden? nah, they don't need them.

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:47 am 

Nocturnal_Evil wrote:

Agreed, and their early stuff is some of the finest stuff out there in fact, but Desideratum was certainly a close call. Some cool ideas with less than ideal execution.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:53 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
When I saw Esoteric the three guitars were great and you could actually tell they were necessary. Same about some non metal bands I've seen (Swans, GY!BE). Maiden? nah, they don't need them.

And then we have Massacre with 3 guitarists now (who barely managed to come up with a riff and a half per song on their latest album).

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:44 am 

Death metal > Symphonic power metal

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

thereflectingskin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:03 pm 

This is the best Malignancy song.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:03 pm 

Metallica has the best shirt designs, no contest.

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:10 pm 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
Death metal > Symphonic power metal

I'm pretty sure in terms of global popularity and recognition this is not true.

Obey the dolphin!

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:01 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I dunno if any band *needs* three guitarists, but looking at art only in terms of what's needed doesn't have to be the only way. Then again I've never been an expert on telling all of their leads and stuff apart and I only saw them once 5 years ago.

This is a good assessment, but also they do have a decent number of parts in the studio where they have 2 part lead guitar harmonies AND rhythm guitar underneath, which can only be achieved live through three guitarists. Sometimes they let Harris fill out that space instead but not as often as they could really. Honestly metal in general tends to write with the idea of having 2 or 3 guitars pretty often since there seems to be this innate fear of not having rhythm guitar under guitar solos/lead harmonies, which is something I wish people would explore alternatives for more often.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:05 pm 

Metallic Shock wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

This is a good assessment, but also they do have a decent number of parts in the studio where they have 2 part lead guitar harmonies AND rhythm guitar underneath, which can only be achieved live through three guitarists. Sometimes they let Harris fill out that space instead but not as often as they could really. Honestly metal in general tends to write with the idea of having 2 or 3 guitars pretty often since there seems to be this innate fear of not having rhythm guitar under guitar solos/lead harmonies, which is something I wish people would explore alternatives for more often.

Any band that has 2+ guitarists and doesn't do twin-lead harmony during solos is a band that is doing it catastrophically wrong.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:31 pm 

If you have 3 guitarists, you’d better have two leads going at once, and one doing rhythm. Or three leads, with mid range heavy dirt bass. Better yet, mid boosted fuzz bass, and three guitarists doing more treble, and crazy stuff with effects.

Or, have guitarist #3 switch off on tribal drums, horns, and fiddles. Something with a different sound, than a guitar. Or at least just take a break, get naked and break shit, or shoot flamethrowers over the heads of the audience or something. Many producers, and venue sound people, struggle to get bass to cut through, when their are two guitars, or even one. And the guitars usually sound too similar to each other in tone. Three would probably sound worse, not better.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:46 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Any band that has 2+ guitarists and doesn't do twin-lead harmony during solos is a band that is doing it catastrophically wrong.

This is something that's always pissed me off about Whitechapel. They have three guitarists who all play the same chug. They could do some really unique three part harmony stuff but no, they just chug. Wasted potential.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:18 pm 

Demon Fang wrote:
Nocturnal_Evil wrote:

Agreed, and their early stuff is some of the finest stuff out there in fact, but Desideratum was certainly a close call. Some cool ideas with less than ideal execution.

I agree with this one, Desideratum was definitely more average than it was amazing. When Fire Rains... and Passion can be added to the close call list in my opinion as well. But their high points more than make up for those.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:37 am 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
If you have 3 guitarists, you’d better have two leads going at once, and one doing rhythm. Or three leads, with mid range heavy dirt bass. Better yet, mid boosted fuzz bass, and three guitarists doing more treble, and crazy stuff with effects.

Or, have guitarist #3 switch off on tribal drums, horns, and fiddles. Something with a different sound, than a guitar. Or at least just take a break, get naked and break shit, or shoot flamethrowers over the heads of the audience or something. Many producers, and venue sound people, struggle to get bass to cut through, when their are two guitars, or even one. And the guitars usually sound too similar to each other in tone. Three would probably sound worse, not better.

it's not just a live problem either - atheist's comeback album suffers greatly from having too many guitars on it

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:26 pm 

Nocturnal_Evil wrote:

Indeed. Can't wait for another one... we've passed the two year mark since Endarkenment, so something strange is afoot. They've never waited this long.

Unless they're gonna drop a christmas album for December. That would be sick.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:33 pm 

Maiden's three guitarists are well used and well warranted.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:32 pm 

The first four Metallica albums have some of the best heavy metal songs ever on them.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:11 am 

I don't know if this is popular or not, but it is an opinion: bands need to quit using (very unclever) word play in their song titles. A good example is something like Slayer's "Consfearacy." I get what bands are trying to do here, but it comes across as so childish most of the time.

From a range and technical point of view, Rob Halford is quite possibly the best singer metal has ever had.

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Nocturnal_Evil wrote:

Indeed. Can't wait for another one... we've passed the two year mark since Endarkenment, so something strange is afoot. They've never waited this long.

Unless they're gonna drop a christmas album for December. That would be sick.

Dude, has it really been two whole years!? What the fuck! I hate how I remember album releases like they were yesterday only to be reminded that they're X many years behind me now. It's not easy being old.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:15 am 

Old school lo-fi extreme metal is better than modern, high quality production stuff. It just sounds more authentic, atmospheric, and sinister imo rather than straight-up gnarly.

FontaL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:04 pm 

Early Cradle of Filth sucks pretty much, I only like Dusk and Her Embrace and Midian... but all the stuff since Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder are far more enjoyable

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:52 pm 

"Fear of the Dark" is one of the best songs ever written in the entire Heavy Metal genre.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:59 pm 

FontaL wrote:
Early Cradle of Filth sucks pretty much, I only like Dusk and Her Embrace and Midian... but all the stuff since Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder are far more enjoyable

I'd not say "Dusk" is all that interesting, either. Too much blur.
They came into their own with "Cruelty".

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:33 am 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
Old school lo-fi extreme metal is better than modern, high quality production stuff. It just sounds more authentic, atmospheric, and sinister imo rather than straight-up gnarly.

While it's not a binary system of lo-fi vs. crystal clear, I think both production styles have their place.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:04 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Youthanasia was the last GREAT Megadeth album.

And despite its greatness, it's fucking crap.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:22 am 

I'd rate Youthanasia over every other Megadeth album except maybe the debut.

Definitely the most powerful album Mustaine has ever written.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:37 pm 

FontaL wrote:

Definitely not a popular opinion. Cruelty is their best all round album, with Dusk a close second and Vempire is the best collection of songs. Cradle after Midian sucks bad, up until Hammer Of the Witches.

Kalimata
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:23 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Dio is indeed the greatest metal vocalist of all time, deserving of the accolades.
His run from '75 through '84 is among the greatest metal of all time.

Just true.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:07 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
yungstirjoey666 wrote:

While it's not a binary system of lo-fi vs. crystal clear, I think both production styles have their place.

True, and there's amazing music and shitty music with both. One doesn't automatically = the other.

Benedict Donald wrote:
Dio is indeed the greatest metal vocalist of all time, deserving of the accolades.
His run from '75 through '84 is among the greatest metal of all time.

I don't know. I respect and love the hell out of most everything Dio did, but Rob Halford also needs to be considered. I can't just choose one.

I forget if I've mentioned this here, but The Number Of The Beast is Iron Maiden's best album hands down.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next