Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:50 pm 

Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time. Alexander the Great is by far my least favorite of all the longer "epic" album closers of the early Maiden albums.

wone21r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:54 pm 

Bonus tracks
Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone

Both these albums have perfect closers, but later releases came with long, meander bonus tracks that completely spoil the flow of the album IMO. I stop the albums at the original ends.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:42 pm 

I Am the Law wrote:
Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time. Alexander the Great is by far my least favorite of all the longer "epic" album closers of the early Maiden albums.

I absolutely love that songs, but cant help but agree and rank it behind "Phantom", "Hallowed", "To Tame", and "Rime".
It's amazing, but perhaps a bit less amazing than all of the aforementioned masterpieces.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:44 pm 

Well I always saw Alexander the Great as only barely an epic - like it's only a minute longer than like half of those songs on there. Not their best song ever but it's good and I always play the whole album.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:26 pm 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
Forbidden's Forbidden Evil is another, for me. A bit hit or miss for the most part, then 'Follow Me' is by far the worst track. Overlong and with an incredibly annoying chorus. Pretty frustrating for an album so occasionally brilliant.

Follow Me is one of my favorites on there! It’s one of the high points of that album along with the title track, Chalice and Through Eyes…

Oh and I’ve said before on here but Russ Anderson is probably my favorite Melodic Thrash singer. That dude had it all, mid range, clean singing and crazy banshee shrieks.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:28 am 

des91 wrote:
Follow Me is one of my favorites on there! It’s one of the high points of that album along with the title track, Chalice and Through Eyes…

Fair enough. I, for one, actually like better the oft-considered worst tracks, 'As Good As Dead' and 'Off the Edge'. The countless soloing of the former hits me like a sledgehammer every time and showed the band at its craziest. Even 'Off the Edge' is quite fun. Incredibly stupid, but fun :lol:

des91 wrote:
Oh and I’ve said before on here but Russ Anderson is probably my favorite Melodic Thrash singer. That dude had it all, mid range, clean singing and crazy banshee shrieks.

That's way harder to disagree with lol. Dude was an absolute beast back then.

It's the dawn of descending...

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:05 pm 

markhebb wrote:
Slayer’s South of Heaven ends on a really weak note with Spill The Blood- should of gone with the Judas Priest cover instead…..

No way. That song rules and the way it finishes is arguably one of the best ways to finish an album in metal.

thereflectingskin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:47 pm 

I feel like Dragonforce albums used to always have the ballad that no one listens to as the last song, which was nice of them.

dtfan08
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:40 pm 

The last two Immolation albums have had pretty weak closers. They just feel like normal tracks that were just pushed to the end of an album.
Contrast this to some of their best closers like The Devil I Know, Bring Them Down, or Close to a World Below, which have this really grand epic feel to them, usually with some absolutely punishing riff as the outro to bring the final blow.
When I listen to Epiphany and Apostle, they don't do that for me.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:53 am 

Dio - Sacred Heart is one album. "Shoot Shoot" is the worst song on it by far. I mention this is a YouTube video I made earlier this year.

KaiKasparek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:57 am 

Alexander The Great is a great closer. Heresy I say

I'll pitch in:

Enforcer- Mask of Red Death- From Beyond. It's just kind of middling and I hate fadeouts
Black Sabbath- Over & Over- The Mob Rules. Goes on for way too long and again, fadeout.
Ozzy- Hero- No Rest For The Wicked. Should have stayed proper hidden by not appearing on the album.
I agree that most (if not all) members of Pantera were probably racist rednecks and there's an unfortunate number of fans who are still like that. BUT from what I've seen, most of these dorks do NOT go to the gym.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:04 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
Black Sabbath- Over & Over- The Mob Rules. Goes on for way too long and again, fadeout.

Ouch man, ouch.

Top 3 on Mob Rules, along with Sign of the Southern Cross and Falling Off the Edge of the World.

TheUnhinged
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:58 pm 

King Woman’s Celestial Blues is a really emotive sludge/doom/post-metal album with really intense, personal lyrics, depressive riffs, and hard hitting drums. It ends with this really quiet, lowkey post-rock track called ‘Paradise Lost’ which isn’t a shitty song by any means, but feels really underwhelming to put at the end after several aggressive, climactic songs. There is this gorgeous song in the middle of the album called ‘Entwined’ that is dire, powerful, and ultimately would have been a much more moving closer.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:07 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
Enforcer- Mask of Red Death- From Beyond. It's just kind of middling and I hate fadeouts

I'm more offended by this one. That's the best song on the album.
Currently seeking a way to make money off of these things...

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:36 am 

Totally agree with some already mentioned. Especially Metallica's 'The Struggle Within' and Priest's 'Heavy Duty/Defenders...'
I'd also add...
Possessed - 'Restless Dead' - Weak compared to all previous tracks, followed by the pointless outro straight after it, 'Dog Fight', from 'Beyond the Gates', an otherwise excellent album.
Ozzy - 'Steal Away (The Night)' - Again, weak compared to other tracks on 'Blizzard...'. Another weak one is 'No Bone Movies', also featured on Side B.
Anthrax - 'Imitation of Life' - The only track on 'Among the Living' that doesn't do much for me.
Darkthrone - 'Sno og Granskog (Utferd)' - I know it's an outro, but I tend not to play the spoken word/poem/synth track. Another fast one would've been far more welcome.
Satyricon - 'Transcendental Requiem of Slaves' - Some nice riffs in this instrumental, but they don't always gel together.
Entombed - 'The Truth Beyond' (from 'Left Hand Path', LP version) - Weakest on the album, for me. Wish they'd recorded 'Severe Burns' (like on the demo) and had that as the final track instead.
Slayer - 'Hardening of the Arteries' - I love 'Hell Awaits', but this album ends on an anticlimax for me. The track is just 2 minutes of speed and is only saved by the reprise of 'Hell Awaits' at the end.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:57 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
KaiKasparek wrote:

Ouch man, ouch.

Top 3 on Mob Rules, along with Sign of the Southern Cross and Falling Off the Edge of the World.

Agreed. It’s a highlight of both Dio’s and Tony’s careers. A blessed doom masterpiece.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:02 am 

Tornado wrote:
Ozzy - 'Steal Away (The Night)' - Again, weak compared to other tracks on 'Blizzard...'. Another weak one is 'No Bone Movies', also featured on Side B.

Disagree big time with this. I think it's a great song. Top guitar work and packed full of energy. I agree that No Bone Movies is the clunker on the album (they should have kept You Lookin' at Me... on there), but I would still say that's a good song too.

I'll throw out Fear Factory - The Industrialist. I know some people aren't too keen on this album, but despite being one of the weaker ones in the catalogue, I still think it's a good effort. It was supposed to close with Enhanced Reality (since released as a bonus on Genexus), but it wasn't finished in time, so we got the aimless nine minute ambient track Human Augmentation instead.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:25 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
Tornado wrote:

Disagree big time with this. I think it's a great song. Top guitar work and packed full of energy. I agree that No Bone Movies is the clunker on the album (they should have kept You Lookin' at Me... on there), but I would still say that's a good song too.

I strongly disagree, too. "Steal Away" is one of the best songs of the Randy era. Such great energy.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:26 am 

Required Fields wrote:
Dio - Sacred Heart is one album. "Shoot Shoot" is the worst song on it by far.

Indeed. That song totally deflates the balloon there.

RainyTheBusinessPerson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:26 pm 

Metallica - The Call of Ktulu, not a bad song but it gets repetitive after a while. Creeping Death would have been a way better closer. Same with Dyers Eve, once again, not a bad song, it's great song actually, but it's anticlimactic, it just ends. There's no sense of grand finale, it feels like they ran out of tape, it's so weird. Frayed Ends of Sanity would have been a better choice. People mentioned The Struggle Within too and I agree, there are so many questionable choices for Metallica closers when I really think about it.
Gamma Ray's album No World Order ends with a boring ballad, it's disappointing after a fairly heavy and fast album.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:42 pm 

King Diamond - The Eye. By far one of my favorite KD albums (third after Abigail and Fatal Portrait), but tragically loses momentum with the faltering pair of ending tracks, "1642 Imprisonment" and "The Curse." Neither are exactly bad, but they lose serious steam after the infernal helltrain that is the first 4/5 of the album, and end things on an uninspiring note, tarnishing this jewel in the KD crown. Still a killer album, though.

Also, gotta say "Hammerheart" is a pretty dull way to end Twilight of the Gods, especially since it was based on borrowed material. Just a flat ending for that album, though it's admittedly shaky throughout.

"Call of Ktulu" is a great closer, what the hell :-P .

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:05 pm 

dtfan08 wrote:
The last two Immolation albums have had pretty weak closers. They just feel like normal tracks that were just pushed to the end of an album.
Contrast this to some of their best closers like The Devil I Know, Bring Them Down, or Close to a World Below, which have this really grand epic feel to them, usually with some absolutely punishing riff as the outro to bring the final blow.
When I listen to Epiphany and Apostle, they don't do that for me.

Yeah, I really don't like when most albums just end. "Apostle" could've been anywhere else on the album. Meanwhile, "Epiphany" I largely ignore in favor of the rerecording of "Immolation" at the end of the Atonement album despite the latter being a "bonus track".

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:21 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
King Diamond - The Eye. By far one of my favorite KD albums (third after Abigail and Fatal Portrait), but tragically loses momentum with the faltering pair of ending tracks, "1642 Imprisonment" and "The Curse." Neither are exactly bad, but they lose serious steam after the infernal helltrain that is the first 4/5 of the album, and end things on an uninspiring note, tarnishing this jewel in the KD crown. Still a killer album, though.

I've always considered "1642" to be the albums centerpiece. It's been included on every KD mix/playlist I've created these past 30+ years. The Curse is right behind it. A great ended to that album, IMO.

'The Eye' would be a 10/10 if not for "Two Little Girls" which is a bit too silly for its own good.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:57 pm 

wone21r wrote:
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone

I disagree, I generally despise bonus tracks, but Dopethrone has one of the few bonus tracks I prefer having on the album in all of music period.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:26 am 

Austere - Coma II

Always ruins the mood for me when I forget to skip it, still expecting the track to finally go somewhere after a certain point. And then I remember.

Earthshine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:55 pm 

Over old hills on Summoning's Dol Guldur is always an auto skip for me. I don't know why they chose to put that song on the album. It was originally released as part of Protectors other project Ice Ages, where it totally fits. The rest of the album has a triumphant feeling, excellent keyboards and riffs, medieval feel, while this song had an electro goth vibe to it. The album should have 3nded with Unto a Long Glory, it certainly would have been long enough

Voidsel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:50 am 

This is a common situation as bands, faced with a 'quirky' song they don't want to get rid of, will often put it at the end. They might expect it to be skipped most of the time, and then at least it doesn't ruin the flow of the 'real' songs.

I'll offer Anthrax;
- Gung Ho from Spreading the Disease
- Finalé from State of Euphoria

Neither song sucks but they're a bit more playful from the rest of the album. This would be fine if they were standouts, but they're not. Finalé could have been absorbed into the middle of the album. Gung Ho should have been added as a bonus track to reprints of Fistful of Metal.

Kalimata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:10 pm 

I Am the Law wrote:

You should post this in the "unpopular metal opinion" thread: "Alexander the Great" is an outstanding closer!

Otherwise, "Drifter" on Killers is a bit weak, sounds clownish to my ears and ends this album on a bad note.

FantomLord17
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:40 pm 

Gonna second "Soulreaper" from Storm of the Light's Bane as a bad closer (though not a bad song by itself)
And disagree on Whoracle's title track and "Song of Sirens". Whoracle is pretty nice as pretty much al acoustic moments from In Flames earlier albums, it doesn't feel like a song by itself by it works ok as a closer. Song of Sirens feels like Edge of Sanity one-upping metalcore bands on their own game.

In Flames' Colony ends rather weakly IMO, it suffers from the "alright song but nothing climatic" problem so many albums have.
Amorphis' Skyforger I feel ends badly but in a more ambivalent way. I like "From Earth I Rose" but the verses are some of the most annoying singing I've heard from Tomi and I can't quite figure out why it feels so bad.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:32 pm 

Interesting. The main reason I prefer Storm of the Light's Bane to the previous album is because I find it more consistently good. For example I think Soulreaper is a better closer than Mistress of the Bleeding Sorrow.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:04 pm 

Kalimata wrote:
I Am the Law wrote:

You should post this in the "unpopular metal opinion" thread: "Alexander the Great" is an outstanding closer!

Otherwise, "Drifter" on Killers is a bit weak, sounds clownish to my ears and ends this album on a bad note.

I love “Alexander the Great!” That song is epic! I would say “The Thin Line Between Love and Hate” from “Brave New World.”

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:45 am 

overtenmy wrote:
I love “Alexander the Great!” That song is epic! I would say “The Thin Line Between Love and Hate” from “Brave New World.”

Disagree here. Great song, and that chorus is one of the best things Bruce has ever sung.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:51 am 

FantomLord17 wrote:
In Flames' Colony ends rather weakly IMO, it suffers from the "alright song but nothing climatic" problem so many albums have.

The digital version ends with Man Made God, which is an incredible instrumental.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:21 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
overtenmy wrote:

Disagree here. Great song, and that chorus is one of the best things Bruce has ever sung.

Right?! That song is just as good as any of their classic epics.

AWinterShadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:15 pm 

I have a example of a 'wrong/bad order', at least to me ears anyway.

Dismember's "Death Metal" - The order of the last two tracks 'Silent Are The Watchers' and 'Mistweaver' should be swapped. Having the rather plodding 'Mistweaver' come after the viciousness of 'Silent Are The Watchers' is a letdown and poor way to end that album. If anything 'Mistweaver' should come first as a breather or moved more towards the middle of the album.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2