Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Voidsel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:06 am 

Null's third full-length Origin. Folkish/melodic black metal with beautiful production. Reminiscient of Wintersun but more rooted in black metal and not as flashy. Maybe Windir is closer. It's a long journey at 78 minutes, but it's hard to fault any of the tracks on it.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:31 pm 

For anyone who wants Dissection-type melodic BM, try Condra - Aeonic Tempest from the Abyss

https://condra.bandcamp.com/album/aeoni ... -the-abyss

AlienZombie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:47 pm 

Voidsel wrote:
Null's third full-length Origin. Folkish/melodic black metal with beautiful production. Reminiscient of Wintersun but more rooted in black metal and not as flashy. Maybe Windir is closer. It's a long journey at 78 minutes, but it's hard to fault any of the tracks on it.

I liked the previous one, Hiraeth, better but nice to see them mentioned regardless. Hiraeth is a double album, so even longer but worth it if you like atmospheric "nature" sounding BM.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:39 am 

My 'compatriots' (I'm English by birth but Catalan by adoption) in Cruz (Barcelona) unleash their monster follow-up to their totally killer 'Culto abismal' from 2016. 'Confines de la cordura' is some of the nastiest and simultaneously catchiest OSDM you'll hear all year, and are by far my favourite current Spanish (sorry, Catalan) band. That distorted bass alone will haunt your worst nightmares.

https://cruzbcn.bandcamp.com/album/conf ... la-cordura

PS: Loving that Null album!

NetherFog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:43 am 

Aara released an EP outside of their current trilogy

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:28 am 

The new Firtan album is their best work to date IMO, one of the best atmospheric black/pagan metal releases of the year. They go hard from the first track and don't let up.

If you're looking for some meat and potatoes OSDM, the new Autophagy record may be for you. This one features current and former members of Ritual Necromancy and Bell Witch.

For fans of more experimental/progressive black metal, Aenaon just released a new album. This one is definitely a worthy follow up to Hypnosophy IMO.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:38 pm 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mimorium yet. Kinda like a Finnish Marduk or something. It's a really catchy complete album all the way through.

GanoesParan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:55 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
The new Firtan album is their best work to date IMO, one of the best atmospheric black/pagan metal releases of the year. They go hard from the first track and don't let up.

If you're looking for some meat and potatoes OSDM, the new Autophagy record may be for you. This one features current and former members of Ritual Necromancy and Bell Witch.

For fans of more experimental/progressive black metal, Aenaon just released a new album. This one is definitely a worthy follow up to Hypnosophy IMO.

Those all sound stellar, will definitely be checking them out fully, as does Mimorium.

I've been really enjoying the new Thormesis album.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:08 am 

Couple of new ones I've been smashing the last couple of days, both really, really good

Cloud Rat, excellent as always
https://cloudrat.bandcamp.com/album/threshold

Faceless Burial, managed to pick it up at the local vinyl store too, but top notch death metal once again
https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com ... deliration

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:36 pm 

Hopefully this is worthwhile because i sure as hell don't have the time to find out LMAO

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:05 am 

Kind of stumbled upon this really cool atmospheric BM release. It's quickly moved up and might threaten my current aoty.

https://transcendance-bm.bandcamp.com/a ... ais-augure
Spoiler: show

Voidsel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:29 pm 

LilTito wrote:
Spoiler: show

Hopefully this is worthwhile because i sure as hell don't have the time to find out LMAO

His last album "All Time" was only 7 hours, clearly he realised he missed some and found some extra time for this one.

I listened to 10 minutes and skipped through a few tracks - minimal ambient with a soundtrack influence, but a variety of moods. Nice sounds but not my thing.

Shad_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:45 am 

mirons wrote:
The new Graceless is once again a great slab Dutch death/doom.

Just picked this up at random sampling new releases on bandcamp. Love how hard it goes. :D

AlienZombie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:57 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mimorium yet. Kinda like a Finnish Marduk or something. It's a really catchy complete album all the way through.

I enjoyed this one quite a bit as well, just haven't gotten around to ordering a physical copy yet.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:50 pm 

LilTito wrote:

I don't know why Colin decided to release all these ambient albums under the Indricothere moniker. I do like the actual metal albums though.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:19 am 

New Ripped to Shreds does exactly what it says on the tin. Fuck me. Thrashier and less brutal than 'Luan', but still damn heavy and catchy as fuck. Definite highlight of the year for me.

https://rippedtoshredsdeathmetal.bandca ... bum/jubian

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:27 pm 

I dont see Ellende mentioned here yet, but Ellenbogengesellschaft is another great album. Melodic atmo black with some post rock influences. Not entirely original but its really well played and produced. Great cover art as well.

https://ellende.bandcamp.com/album/elle ... sellschaft

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:31 pm 

So I have this coming in the mail (vinyl naturally), and like their previous efforts this Spanish outfit provide some top tier death/doom with excellent vocals and atmosphere. The fantastic artwork is worth it alone, thankfully backed up by the brilliant song writing. Great album, somewhat similar to Grave Miasma with more emphasis on slower tempos.

Spectrum Mortis - Bit Meseri - The Incantation

My collection

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:45 pm 

The new Bloody Hammers has a lot of really fun, catchy songs, just in time for Halloween

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:32 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
So I have this coming in the mail (vinyl naturally), and like their previous efforts this Spanish outfit provide some top tier death/doom with excellent vocals and atmosphere. The fantastic artwork is worth it alone, thankfully backed up by the brilliant song writing. Great album, somewhat similar to Grave Miasma with more emphasis on slower tempos.

https://listenable-records.bandcamp.com ... antation-2

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:18 pm 

Gevurah are back after 2016’s stellar “Hallelujah!”. Particularly savage, pounding, semi dissonant black metal with very hoarse vocals and a couple atmospheric touches. They’re not reinventing the wheel with this one, but damn the treads on the wheel are nicely made.
Death metal is eternal.

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:51 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

This artwork was similar enough that just glancing at it I was somewhat confused when you described it as death/doom. Turns out it's a completely different thing lol.

Anyway, this short riffy BM EP is really excellent as well.
https://doedsvangr.bandcamp.com/album/koinonia

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:39 pm 

This just released the other day (October 14th), and I'm in love with it. It's hitting all the right spots for me, feeling like a more realized version of what Inferi (who are damn good in their own right) goes after.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:45 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
This just released the other day (October 14th), and I'm in love with it. It's hitting all the right spots for me, feeling like a more realized version of what Inferi (who are damn good in their own right) goes after.

Damn, I'm usually not into tech death at all, but this absolutely rips. Awesome find!
Does anyone know if PetWussy sports a mullet? I just saw a Pakistanni-looking guy with a ... Heavy Metal Parking Lot mullet. I was tempted to kick him to the ground whilst shouting: "THE YEARS OF DECAY RULES, DICKHEAD!"

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:42 pm 

The new Stormruler album is a straight banger, highly recommended for fans of 90s Swedish melodic black metal.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:32 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
The new Stormruler album is a straight banger, highly recommended for fans of 90s Swedish melodic black metal.

Is it out? Awesome. The debut was impressive, in my opinion. Going to search for this, thanks!

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:43 pm 

New Tankard seems to have slipped under the radar.

I'm enjoying it.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:10 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:

there's a lot of potential here, but holy shit this doesn't need to be 74 minutes. 40-45 minutes with one, maybe two interludes and they'd be doing themselves a huge favor imo

AlienZombie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:31 pm 

theposega wrote:
Kalaratri wrote:

there's a lot of potential here, but holy shit this doesn't need to be 74 minutes. 40-45 minutes with one, maybe two interludes and they'd be doing themselves a huge favor imo

Yeah, agreed. So many of those short, useless interludes, etc, and most of the actual songs don't do a lot for me either. I thought their last one was ferocious, whereas this one is...meh.

metljoe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:16 pm 

I really enjoyed Stormruler's last album but somebody seriously needs to sit those guys down and have a talk with them about their stupid interludes. There's no reason an album should have 20 tracks and be an hour and fourteen minutes unless it's a prog masterpiece.

Fwiw, I discovered that the trick to enjoying them is to copy the album's actual songs to its own Spotify playlist so you don't get your time wasted by the pointless interludes.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:48 am 

Lagartija wrote:
New Ripped to Shreds does exactly what it says on the tin. Fuck me. Thrashier and less brutal than 'Luan', but still damn heavy and catchy as fuck. Definite highlight of the year for me.

This is excellent, might be the best death metal album I've heard all year (probably except Immolation). Sounds familiar yet fresh with all the right ingredients and influences.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:21 am 

mirons wrote:
Lagartija wrote:

This is excellent, might be the best death metal album I've heard all year (probably except Immolation). Sounds familiar yet fresh with all the right ingredients and influences.

Agreed; this scorcher is carving it's way to the top of my AOTY list something fierce.
It's savage, it's melodic, it's technical yet old school, it meshes the Swedish and American schools pretty well and evenly and it's just damn FUN.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:00 am 

The debut album from The Otolith is outstanding, as I expected it would be. I haven’t been this hyped for a metal album in quite some time, and it absolutely delivered (to my ears). Quite possibly my front runner for my metal AOTY, but I will need more listens to unpack everything here.

https://theotolith.bandcamp.com/releases
Obliteration

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:02 am 

Absolutely loving this album by WormGod. Melodic Black Metal that just doesn't quit with the quality riffs and song writing.

thereflectingskin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:13 pm 

Any good technical brutal death metal released this year? Let me know.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:00 pm 

Rodman wrote:
New Tankard seems to have slipped under the radar.

I'm enjoying it.

Big disappointment for me, I love those guys and all their albums to some extent, but this new one just falls completely flat imo. No energy, emotion or fun that I can hear. Shame.

Loving that Stormruler, and as the previous poster asked about brutal tech death, I was blown away by Origin 'Chaosmos' and Psycroptic 'Divine council', lots of replay value on those.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:37 pm 

MeltedFace wrote:

Absolutely loving this album by WormGod. Melodic Black Metal that just doesn't quit with the quality riffs and song writing.

Fuck, just one listen in and im very much enjoying this so far.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:20 pm 

thereflectingskin wrote:
Any good technical brutal death metal released this year? Let me know.

Origin's Chaosmos is a good one. Easily in my top 5 this year.

Sonivinos's Sonicated Intravaginal Insemination in Numbers is something I like but isn't for everyone as it's quite modern and has that Brain Drill aura about them.

Aeviterne's The Ailing Facade is a really great album with some experimental touches.

Artificial Brain's Artificial Brain packs a denser punch if you're into something like that.

New albums from better known bands such as Soreption, Inanimate Existence, and Arkaik might be up your alley, too, if you haven't heard them.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

thereflectingskin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:04 pm 

Hey thanks Lagartija and MikeyC! I'll check those out.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:55 am 

Urfaust - Hoof Tar

Authentic Psalm just might be the best Urfaust song to date. Not kidding. Absolutely massive.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next