Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:39 pm 

Discogs is pretty close. You can get similar info but about any artist.

SlavicBes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:52 pm 

Neo-nazi music is not music and neo-nazi bands should not be listed here.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:52 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:

Oh, yes I guess so. I'm just less familiar with Discogs. I always assumed it was more for people to keep tab and show off their collection :P

Ace_Rimmer
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:00 pm 

Prog archives is pretty good.

http://www.progarchives.com/

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:59 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:

Oh, yes I guess so. I'm just less familiar with Discogs. I always assumed it was more for people to keep tab and show off their collection :P

Discogs is useful for looking up different versions of albums and cataloguing them, but navigating the artist pages is sometimes a nightmare. If a band has tons of miscellaneous releases it clogs up their main albums page, like Metallica whose post-St Anger discography is filled with random live "albums".

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:14 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
Navigating the artist pages is sometimes a nightmare.

Oh, the artist page system of Discogs fucking sucks. Take Fenriz for example. His every pseudonym, like Hank Amarillo, has a separate page with its own pictures, description and credits, with his soloprojects like Isengard and Neptune Towers being considered pseudonyms, not bands/projects. According to Discogs, Fenriz doesn't play in the band Darkthrone, only Gylve Nagell does. If the Discogs artist page system was a person, I'd tell it to kill itself.

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:00 pm 

Not only is early Gojira(everything up to and including The Way Of All Flesh) metal, it’s fucking awesome. From the untamed breakdowns of Terra Incognita to those dreamy-ass riffs on From Mars to Sirius. I love it. Not as much a fan of the new stuff, but people who say that Gojira isn’t/wasn’t metal clearly haven’t experienced much of their first three or four albums.

Oh boy, let the keyboard battles commence. Thumbs, ready your defensive positions!

"I turn my body from the sun, to follow the fading phantom into the deep."

SIC 'EM, UGA! GO DAWGS!!!

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:03 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
King_of_Arnor wrote:
Navigating the artist pages is sometimes a nightmare.

Oh, the artist page system of Discogs fucking sucks. Take Fenriz for example. His every pseudonym, like Hank Amarillo, has a separate page with its own pictures, description and credits, with his soloprojects like Isengard and Neptune Towers being considered pseudonyms, not bands/projects. According to Discogs, Fenriz doesn't play in the band Darkthrone, only Gylve Nagell does. If the Discogs artist page system was a person, I'd tell it to kill itself.

Now this I completely agree with. Treating every pseudonym like it’s a separate person makes navigating it an absolute nightmare. I would still never betray Discogs, seeing as they have provided much of my music to me, but their artist system could fucking learn a few things from that of the MA.

RestlessChild
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:03 pm 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
RestlessChild wrote:
Ozzy Osbourne still rules.

Cry about it.

The band or person?

Both!

HeavenDuff wrote:
Metal-Archives is quite unique in that regard. There is no database, dedicated to a genre of music that is as detailed and in-depth as Metal-Archives. Rate Your Music is interesting too, and what I gravitate to for non-metal genres, but it's not the same as MA.

It's great to be a part of this community and to contribute in whatever way we can (be it on the forums, by adding info to bands and musicians pages, writting reviews, etc.)

I just wish they didn't delete so many traditional heavy metal/NWOBHM bands cos one person saw them as "hard rock" lol. Split Beaver comes to mind.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:07 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
I also strongly recommend Genesis, Camel, Jethro Tull, Nektar, and Kansas (yes, Kansas !).

Jethro Tull sucks. The flute has no place in rock!

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Forever Underground
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:11 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
I also strongly recommend Genesis, Camel, Jethro Tull, Nektar, and Kansas (yes, Kansas !).

Wish i could never read your opinions man

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:12 pm 

Forever Underground wrote:
Benedict Donald wrote:

Wish i could never read your opinions man

Wish i could never be subjected to flute solos again man

recyclage wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:15 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:

Man what a sad narrow minded thing to say.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:16 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Benedict Donald wrote:

Man what a sad narrow minded thing to say.

Well, can you prove they don't suck?

recyclage wrote:

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:17 pm 

How can you state such idiocy about any given matter as you do here on a daily basis yet remain confident and not gain self-awareness the whole time, despite everyone on the forum and your custom title proclaiming that you sound like a complete moron? I still don't know whether you're a troll or not, but if you're not, then you gotta step back and take a look at yourself.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:18 pm 

Here you go.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:27 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:

Here you go.

The song is ok, I guess, though I was talking Jethro Tull, not so much audio of flutes in general when I requested proof.

recyclage wrote:

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:43 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:

Here you go.

The song is ok, I guess, though I was talking Jethro Tull, not so much audio of flutes in general when I requested proof.

So the "flute has no place in rock", which is a very general and broad statement in itself, was just an unreasonable hyperbole (in bold and italics, mind you), meaning merely to signal your dislike of what you've heard of Ian Anderson's flute playing?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:45 pm 

Not really familiar with Tull - don't think they're even metal though so not sure what the point is. Love some weird instruments in metal in general though. The sax in Riot's "Killer" is great, same for Messa's "Tulsi." I think some Skyforger songs have flutes or other such instruments, great fucking band. Thinking whole instruments can't even be played in metal is just goofy.

Last edited by Empyreal on Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forever Underground
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:50 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Not really familiar with Tull - don't think they're even metal though so not sure what the point is. Love some weird instruments in metal in general though. The sax in Riot's "Killer" is great. Thinking whole instruments can't even be played in metal is just goofy.

Aqualung is a must listen for every rock fan, and if you are into prog rock Thick as a Brick is one of the greatest one song albums of all time

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:51 pm 

Forever Underground wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Not really familiar with Tull - don't think they're even metal though so not sure what the point is. Love some weird instruments in metal in general though. The sax in Riot's "Killer" is great. Thinking whole instruments can't even be played in metal is just goofy.

Aqualung is a must listen for every rock fan, and if you are into prog rock Thick as a Brick is one of the greatest one song albums of all time

There's just too many bands to get into. But I will try em. I think I heard Aqualung in high school. I'm sure they're worth hearing.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:52 pm 

The Spanish epic folk/heavy metal band Mägo de Oz has a lot of folk instruments in their music, including flutes, and their music is absolutely fantastic. Stating that specific instruments should not, in any case, be a part of rock/metal makes you sound like your skull is very very thick.

Footless wrote:
Not only is early Gojira(everything up to and including The Way Of All Flesh) metal, it’s fucking awesome. From the untamed breakdowns of Terra Incognita to those dreamy-ass riffs on From Mars to Sirius. I love it. Not as much a fan of the new stuff, but people who say that Gojira isn’t/wasn’t metal clearly haven’t experienced much of their first three or four albums.

I'm pretty sure most people if not everyone on MA agrees that they are metal. There are still edgelords trying real hard to reject the metalness of bands they don't like or who don't follow "norms" whatever they may be, but Gojira is a metal band for sure.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:53 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
Please grandpa, tell us about the good ol'days again. I wanna know all about how every single musician from the 70's were better then every single musician from now.

To be fair... the 70's had some amazing progressive rock.

I'm not arguing otherwise. I love King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Yes and Gentle Giant.

King Crimson are the best band ever and far more important into the development of heavy metal than people give them credit for

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:56 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
So the "flute has no place in rock", which is a very general and broad statement in itself, was just an unreasonable hyperbole (in bold and italics, mind you), meaning merely to signal your dislike of what you've heard of Ian Anderson's flute playing?

Tongue-in-cheek hyperbole (Like some other things I've said in the past) at that. Though Lord_of_Obsessively_Hating_Anthony_Fantano doesn't ever seem to notice that.

And yes, you're right. I just fucking hate Ian Anderson. My father's uncle-in-law was a member of Jethro Tull, and he was kicked out for not being a square like the rest of them.

recyclage wrote:

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:07 pm 

In general I don't care too much what instruments are used so long as a) they serve a purpose within the whole arrangement and b) aren't just window dressing to compensate for lack of actual substance (lookin' at you, Jari). Thankfully, Jethro Tull had more than enough talent to write captivating songs and they're one of my favourite bands of all time.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:14 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
There's just too many bands to get into. But I will try em. I think I heard Aqualung in high school. I'm sure they're worth hearing.

They absolutely are, arguably greatest progressive rock band ever. Ian Anderson's one of the greatest songwriters in music history - a musical genius, pure and simple. Pretty much their entire 70s catalog is essential - each album is unique with its own identity, but I would highly recommend Benefit for something a bit more straight-forward and catchy, Songs from the Wood for complex songwriting with amazing musicianship and varied instrumentation, and Stormwatch if you're looking for something with a darker, more serious tone.

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:17 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:

Footless wrote:

I'm pretty sure most people if not everyone on MA agrees that they are metal. There are still edgelords trying real hard to reject the metalness of bands they don't like or who don't follow "norms" whatever they may be, but Gojira is a metal band for sure.

That’s refreshing to hear. Maybe I’m just used to the Reddit metalheads flipping shit about people likening Gojira.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:28 pm 

Tongue-in-cheek hyperbole (Like some other things I've said in the past) at that.

You can't hear inflection through words on a screen. If you're trying to be funny with all your dumb-as-shit takes, no one else thinks you're funny.

How old are you? I'm seriously asking, because if you're a day over 16 and still have this snarky, passive aggressive, overly edgy attitude, then please consider getting help.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:44 pm 

true_death wrote:

They absolutely are, arguably greatest progressive rock band ever. Ian Anderson's one of the greatest songwriters in music history - a musical genius, pure and simple. Pretty much their entire 70s catalog is essential - each album is unique with its own identity, but I would highly recommend Benefit for something a bit more straight-forward and catchy, Songs from the Wood for complex songwriting with amazing musicianship and varied instrumentation, and Stormwatch if you're looking for something with a darker, more serious tone.

Spot on! They're without a doubt in my top ten bands. Their material up to "Stormwatch" is essential.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:48 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
You can't hear inflection through words on a screen.

No, but you can notice the unnecessary exclamation mark, and the use of both bold and italicized text placed onto the hyperbolic statement and notice that maybe you shouldn't take what is written there at face value. CreepingDeath16 was able to notice something was off just fine.

recyclage wrote:

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:48 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
King Crimson are...far more important into the development of heavy metal than people give them credit for

Agreed. This is especially true of their '73 - '74 albums, "Larks Tongue", "Starless & Bible Black", and "Red".
I've heard "Red" described as being 'angular' music, implying sharp edges that can cut right through you. It's definitely a very heavy aesthetic.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:18 pm 

SlavicBes wrote:

Sorry but that first part of your statement is just objectively untrue. You can say it's not good music but even the laziest, most generic NSBM (so, most NSBM) is unambiguously music. As to the second part - this site is, first and foremost, a catalogue of heavy metal bands. It doesn't seek to exclude bands based on ideology, no matter how repugnant that ideology may be, so it's fair enough that Nazi bands are catalogued too.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:19 pm 

Yeah but anyone who likes that shit should be mercilessly mocked and bullied off of this site.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:40 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Yeah but anyone who likes that shit should be mercilessly mocked and bullied off of this site.

You aren't wrong. I was merely pointing out that, terrible though they may be, it's a huge stretch to classify them as "not music"

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:22 pm 

Deathdoom1992 wrote:
SlavicBes wrote:

Sorry but that first part of your statement is just objectively untrue. You can say it's not good music but even the laziest, most generic NSBM (so, most NSBM) is unambiguously music. As to the second part - this site is, first and foremost, a catalogue of heavy metal bands. It doesn't seek to exclude bands based on ideology, no matter how repugnant that ideology may be, so it's fair enough that Nazi bands are catalogued too.

Funnily enough, it seems that a lot of NSBM bands don't like to be featured on MA, even less so when the MA staff actually gets their hands on the musicians real names and put all the info up there for the world to see.

But yeah, it's definitely music, no matter how bad and how terrible the ideology behind it is. And yes, MA is a database and should list all metal bands, regardless of what their lyrics are about. It wouldn't make sense to remove them, just like it wouldn't make sense to remove Adolf Hitler's page from Wikipedia.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:33 am 

LongHairIsSortaNiceIGuess wrote:
CreepingDeath16 was able to notice something was off just fine.

Only after you bafflingly contradicted your own statement. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and not label you a troll, but ultimately only your supposed lack of intent separates you from one. That ain't much.

Lee Harrison
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:27 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:

Herbstleyd

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:28 am 

Re: the use of flutes and other non-standard instruments in metal - any instrument can work if incorporated well, however, it's often not the case. Obviously, folk metal bands feature lots of various traditional instruments, but even there they are not always used to their best potential, or, on the contrary, sometimes get overused.
One instrument I personally mostly hate in or outside metal is accordion. Although Путь comes pretty close to proving that indeed any instrument, accordion included, can work in metal.
There is a downside to using non-standard, acoustic instruments in metal though - and that is live sound. Having seen the aforementioned Skyforger live countless times, I can say that it has been quite a rare occurrence that the kokle has been audible live when played simultaneously with distorted guitars. Bagpipes usually cut through the buzz a little better, but still not ideal.

Re: gatekeeping, posers and T-shirts - I can admit that I am a poser myself. I did buy a Danzig shirt many years ago because I liked the picture of that horned skull, not knowing it is their mascot, and not knowing the band name is written in large letters on the back. I had heard a Danzig album or two at the time - not a fan, not then, not now. I still wear the shirt every now and then, but I surely cannot name any Danzig songs.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:58 am 

Footless wrote:

Oh boy, let the keyboard battles commence. Thumbs, ready your defensive positions!

Oh yeah, I don't think anybody's arguing that they aren't metal. There are plenty of people who aren't really into them though.

Ace_Rimmer
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:09 am 

I never could get into Gojira. Vocally, musically, or lyrically. Just not my bag. Granted I haven't dug though their discography but what I have heard was lame to my ears.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 126  Next