Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:51 pm 

Does Kalevala count for this? Basically all of Tales from the Thousand lakes as well as various other Amorphis bits over the years are based on it.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:02 pm 

He's still alive, and his works are therefore not old enough to be considered "classics" yet, but I really wish there was metal bands who based their music off the works of Haruki Murakami--hell, mid-to-late 20th century literary fiction in general. It would be neat to see the works of Bret Easton Ellis or Don DeLillo or J.D. Sallinger being referenced in songs.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Last edited by LongHairIsSoFuckingCool on Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigTom10_4
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:40 pm 

Signum Draconis - The Divine Comedy: Inferno is a Metal Opera based off Dante's Inferno, with Mark Boals as Virgil, and features Filippo Martignano, the keyboardist for Lione/Conti on keys

Septicflesh has a few. Off the top of my head, I can name Dante's Inferno and Narcissus

Would anybody consider Tyr - Regin smiður to be based off classic literatue?

Mykman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:26 am 

Rotting Christ -The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe for example.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:25 am 

I'm pretty sure Silver Tongue by Sonata Arctica is based on Moby Dick.

MoonlitKnight
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:05 pm 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
He's still alive, and his works and therefore not old enough to be considered "classics" yet, but I really wish there was metal bands who based their music off the works of Haruki Murakami--hell, mid-to-late 20th century literary fiction in general. It would be neat to see the works of Bret Easton Ellis or Don DeLillo or J.D. Sallinger being referenced in songs.

At the Gates' album At War With Reality has songs based on the works of two mid-to-late 20th-century Argentinian writers: Ernesto Sábato and Jorge Luis Borges. That's the only example I can think of, though. As for contemporary literary fiction writers who could inspire cool metal lyrics, I think Cormac McCarthy would be number one. Blood Meridian is metal as fuck.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:07 am 

MoonlitKnight wrote:
LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
He's still alive, and his works and therefore not old enough to be considered "classics" yet, but I really wish there was metal bands who based their music off the works of Haruki Murakami--hell, mid-to-late 20th century literary fiction in general. It would be neat to see the works of Bret Easton Ellis or Don DeLillo or J.D. Sallinger being referenced in songs.

At the Gates' album At War With Reality has songs based on the works of two mid-to-late 20th-century Argentinian writers: Ernesto Sábato and Jorge Luis Borges. That's the only example I can think of, though. As for contemporary literary fiction writers who could inspire cool metal lyrics, I think Cormac McCarthy would be number one. Blood Meridian is metal as fuck.

I could see a softy prog-metal band writing lyrics based off of David Foster Wallace stuff.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Kaleva
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:44 am 

The first three albums of the metal opera Legado de una tragedia are based on the life and works of Poe transformed into a fictional story mixed with Dante's Divine Comedy and Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:25 am 

Manticora - Hyperion is based on Dan Simmons' book of the same name which in turn references a 1819 poem by John Keats.
Rebellion have two albums that are based on famous works of Shakespeare: Shakespeare's Macbeth - A Tragedy in Steel and A Tragedy in Steel Part II: Shakespeare's King Lear. Their The History of Vikings trilogy is based upon Icelandic sagas, if you consider those classic literature.

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:27 pm 

Omit made two albums called Medusa Truth part 1 & Medusa Truth part 2 and that title was based on a passage from Jack London's The Mutiny of the Elsinore.
https://www.secretquarters.com/release/sq7

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2