Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:32 pm 

I can't find a topic on this from the last few years, so I'll make a new one.

What are some examples of really incestuous bands? Not talking side projects, changed band names,, novelties such as Hear n' Aid, or spin offs, such as Sabbath and Heaven & Hell. Ideally at least sharing of 4 band members.

The inspiration for this topic was Praying Mantis (let them in one day Morri), and Iron Maiden which share 4 members. While this is a ridiculous number, this occurred over about 15 years, which makes it slightly more understandable.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:48 pm 

You're looking for stuff like Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment? That sort of deal? At one point they shared John Petrucci, Jordan Rudess and Mike Portnoy, while only the bassist differed between the two bands, and LTE didn't have vocals.

Very early on in the existence of both bands, Agalloch and Sculptured had pretty much the same members. Jason Walton, Don Anderson and John Haughm were in both bands, although John played drums in Sculptured while he did vocals and guitars in Agalloch.

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:33 am 

Hannes Grossmann's solo stuff is basically just Alkaloid with a couple of added guests

laxskinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:37 am 

Ereb Altor is pretty much the same band as Isole. Every member of EA, past and present, including live members, have been in Isole. Though it might count as a sideproject

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:33 am 

Leave's Eyes and Atrocity are one. When Leave's Eyes had Liv Kristine as their vocalist, both bands had the exact same lineup (they obviously tour together), only lead and back vocalists switched places. Current LE vocalist is not a member of Atrocity afaik, but that still leaves 5 out of 6 members.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:53 am 

Don't know if anything has changed recently with their lineups since I saw them a few years ago but aren't Encoffination and Father Befouled the same band?

LilTito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:51 am 

Pyrrhon - Seputus

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:59 am 

Thought this was about... something else

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:00 am 

As far as I'm aware:

Kataklysm - Ex Deo: 3/5 of the guys in Ex Deo are also in Kataklysm

Blood Incantation - Spectral Voice: 3/4 Spectral Voice members are in Blood Incantation

Eternal Champion - Sumerlands: 3/4 of the members of Sumerlands are also in Eternal Champion (basically everyone in EC is in Sumerlands except the singer)

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:30 am 

The unholy triumvirate of Sabbath, Deep Purple and Rainbow shared quite a few members over the years:

Dio (Sab, Rainbow)
Cozy Powell (Sab, Rainbow)
Bobby Rondinelli (Sab, Rainbow)
Bob Daisley (Sab, Rainbow)
Ian Gillan (Sab, Purple)
Glenn Hughes (Sab, Purple)
Joe Lynn Turner (Purple, Rainbow)
Richie Blackmore (Purple, Rainbow)
Roger Glover (Purple, Rainbow)
Don Airey (Purple, Rainbow)

And Iommi is on record as saying he wanted to hire David Coverdale in the early 80s.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:57 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
The unholy triumvirate of Sabbath, Deep Purple and Rainbow shared quite a few members over the years:

Dio (Sab, Rainbow)
Ian Gillan (Sab, Purple)

And Iommi is on record as saying he wanted to hire David Coverdale in the early 80s.

If you include Ozzy and Dio's solo bands there's even more crossover. Bob Daisley, for example, was also a member of Ozzy's band and played live with Dio.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:33 am 

feel like the majority of the German speed/power metal scene is like this. the Bay Area thrash scene has been getting increasingly incestuous over the past decade as well.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:43 am 

I wonder if Blaze Bayley and Absolva count? 'Cause the complete line-up of Absolva are Blaze's backing band and count as official members of the band Blaze Bayley.

pyratebastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:37 am 

Kreator has shared two members with fellow Ruhr-area thrashers Sodom over the years. Frank Blackfire in particular was a big part of both, playing guitars on both Agent Orange and Coma of Souls.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
So, there's the album "Reign in Blood" with the song "Rainin' Blood" on it. I wonder if that naming choice was intentional.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:59 pm 

Looks like Kalmah and Eternal Tears of Sorrow have shared a number of members. Also seems there was a crossover between those bands and For My Pain....

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:17 pm 

Most black meal scenes who act as collectives, it's pretty usual and sometimes hard to track.

- The Icelandic scene has a lot of overlapping. Nadra at some point had 4/5 Misthyrming members. A lot of other band share members: Carpe noctem has 2 Nadra/Misthyrming members, Svartidaudi now have 2 Misthyrming members, and so on. It's pretty bonkers and hard to write all the connections.

- Crepusculo negro was the same people playing in different bands most of the time too: Arizmenda, Volahn, Dolorvotre, The Haunting Presence. Arizmenda and Volahn were the exact same band at some point as far as I know, at least on stage.

- Haeresis Noviomagi. Lubbert Das, Turia, Iskandr, Imperial Cult, Nusquama... Same people, different bands.

- Psychic violence had a lot of members who went on to make bands with other members of the collective, such as Ash Borer, Adzalaan, Predatory Light, Uskumgallu, Triumvir Foul, Vanum, Fell Voices.

- Mystískaos had bands formed with the same members. Skaphe, Entheogen, Chaos Moon, etc. Chaos Moon and entheogen share 4/5 members. Skaphe has the same members as Chaos Moon too. They also share members with Icelandic bands such as Wormlust, Misthyrming and Nadra. Also have ties to Psychic violence bands such as Adzalaan.

SentByTheDevil87
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:00 pm 

The Helloween Power Metal Industrial complex
-Kai Hansen left Helloween to found Gamma Ray
-Gamma Ray's first vocalist Ralf Scheepers was once considered to be Helloween's new lead singer after Kai Hansen stepped away from the microphone to focus on his guitar playing
-Uli Kusch was a member of Gamma Ray before he joined Helloween in 1993 to replace Ingo Schwichtenberg
-Uli Kusch and Roland Grapow would start the band Masterplan after getting fired from Helloween in 2001
-Roland Grapow used to be member of a band named Rampage in the early 80s which also included futer Gamma Ray guitarist Henjo Richter
-Gamma Ray drummer Dan Zimmermann was also the drummer for Freedom Call
-The first Freedom Call guitarist Sascha Gerstner would quit that band after two albums in 2001 and eventually join Helloween as the replacement of Roland Grapow
-When Dan Zimmermann left Gamma Ray in 2012, he was replaced by Michael Ehré, who currently also is a member of Primal Fear, the band of former Gamma Ray singer Ralf Scheepers
-Michael Ehré and Henjo Richter are also members of The Unity which they founded after Gamma Ray went on hiatus due to Kai Hansen rejoining Helloween
-Former Primal Fear drummer Klaus Sperling replaced Dan Zimmermann in Freedom Call for a bit
-Helloween were founded by Kai Hansen and Piet Sielck. After working behind the scenes as an audio engineer, Sielck would eventually found Iron Savior together with Kai Hansen in the late 90s.
-Iron Savior at one point also included former Gamma Ray drummer Thomas Nack and future Masterplan bassist Jan-Sören Eckert
-In 2009 former Helloween singer Michael Kiske founded the band Unisonic. In 2011 he was joined by his former Helloween bandmade Kai Hansen.
-Also in Unisonic were bassist Dennis Ward and drummer Kosta Zafiriou, both members of Pink Cream 69 which is the Hard Rock band with which current Helloween singer Andi Deris had his breakthrough.
-Roland Grapow, Michael Weikath and Grosskopf also all appeard on Andi Deri's first solo album on the track The King Of 7 Eyes
-Uli Kusch and Markus Grosskopf also helped Roland Grapow record his first solo album in 1997
-Uli Kusch played drums on the only album by Markus Grosskopf's side project Shock Machine
-Uli Kusch was also the driving force behind the Rainbow Tribute album Catch The Rainbow which also featured Henjo Richter, Ralf Scheepers, Andi Derris, Roland Grapow, Markus Grosskopf, Jens Becker from Grave Digger and formerly of Running Wild and former Gamma Ray bassist Uwe Wessel.
-Dennis Ward was also a member of AOR project Place Vendome alongside Michael Kiske
-Primal Fear founder and bassist Mat Sinner was also involved in the Kiske/Somerville Project
-Helloween initially to replace Uli Kusch with Mark Cross which didn't work out due to Cross' health issues. Marc Cross would go on to join Firewind which he eventually left and was replaced by Michael Ehré
-The replacement for Mark Cross was Stefan Schwarzmann who also played for U.D.O., Accept and Running Wild at different points in his career.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:50 pm 

There's tons of this in the New Jersey and Oregon death/black metal microscenes, actually.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:08 pm 

It's pretty much the same with the Québec City black metal scene.

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:30 pm 

There is definitely a big scene of Cleveland metal musicians who are in a bunch of the same projects. Beyond Fear (the Ripper band), Ringworm, Shed the Skin, Rip Ryde all share a ton of members.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:40 pm 

Someone already mentioned Blood Incantation and Spectral Voice, BI's drummer is also in Wayfarer, and 3/4ths of Wayfarer's lineup is also in both Stormkeep and Lykotonon. Half of the Denver scene are also members of Black Curse (Blood Incantation, Spectral Voice, Primitive Man and Khemmis all contribute personnel.)

The Turkish (specifically Istanbul) death metal scene is incredibly incestuous. Burial Invocation, Hyperdontia (who are also half Danish), Engulfed, Diabolizer, Decaying Purity all share members. Similarly in the Danish (Copenhagen) OSDM scene Undergang, Phrenelith, Taphos, Chaotian, Septage, Sulphurous all have or have had shared members at some point.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:51 pm 

Like, 40% of the Japanese power metal landscape was part of Destrose at one point or another.
Currently seeking a way to make money off of these things...

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:53 pm 

Band hopping is pretty common, and there are countless examples of incestuous "Micro-scenes" which involve a close-knit group of no more than a dozen musicians who have up to a dozen or more bands between them. (For example, how many bands/studio projects were the guys from Mutiilation and Vlad Tepes involve with?)

I think it is also worth asking who are the most prolific musicians as far as playing in different bands, and by that I mean, "known" bands, as opposed to obscure home studio recordings with a band name slapped on them. For example, James Murphy and Steve DiGeorgio have probably played in at least two or three dozen bands (or more) between them.

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:17 am 

After Valfar died, the remaining members of Windir basically all formed Vreid.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra originally formed as a concept directly off of the brainchild of Savatage, namely through Jon Oliva and Paul O'Neill. All the "current" members of Savatage are in TSO, as well as a few past members that are involved.

Obey the dolphin!

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:58 am 

Everything ever to happen in Australian/NZ extreme metal.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

laxskinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:52 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Most black meal scenes who act as collectives, it's pretty usual and sometimes hard to track.

- The Icelandic scene has a lot of overlapping. Nadra at some point had 4/5 Misthyrming members. A lot of other band share members: Carpe noctem has 2 Nadra/Misthyrming members, Svartidaudi now have 2 Misthyrming members, and so on. It's pretty bonkers and hard to write all the connections.

- Crepusculo negro was the same people playing in different bands most of the time too: Arizmenda, Volahn, Dolorvotre, The Haunting Presence. Arizmenda and Volahn were the exact same band at some point as far as I know, at least on stage.

- Haeresis Noviomagi. Lubbert Das, Turia, Iskandr, Imperial Cult, Nusquama... Same people, different bands.

- Psychic violence had a lot of members who went on to make bands with other members of the collective, such as Ash Borer, Adzalaan, Predatory Light, Uskumgallu, Triumvir Foul, Vanum, Fell Voices.

- Mystískaos had bands formed with the same members. Skaphe, Entheogen, Chaos Moon, etc. Chaos Moon and entheogen share 4/5 members. Skaphe has the same members as Chaos Moon too. They also share members with Icelandic bands such as Wormlust, Misthyrming and Nadra. Also have ties to Psychic violence bands such as Adzalaan.

Kind of related it seems like the members of Horna form like 90% of the Finnish BM scene, with Shatraug being 50% of it on his own.

HighwayCorsair
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:44 pm 

There's only so many good, like-minded musicians anywhere. This happens basically with every modern scene. Any band I've ever been in has had a ton of overlap with other local bands.

One of my favorites is the overlap between Necrot, Vastum, Acephalix, and Mortuous- lots of shared members, lots of killer music.
Guitars for Drawn and Quartered, death metal on Krucyator Productions.
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:49 pm 

There’s a shitload of overlaps between the bands that formed Les Légions Noires and the Black Twilight Circle (each scene on its own, just to clarify, not between the two).

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:24 pm 

A few of the big-name bands in the Finnish metal scene share a decent amount of members. E.g.:

- Jari Maenpaa was in Ensiferum and Wintersun (obviously)
- Kai Hahto was the original Wintersun (and Rotten Sound) drummer and is now in Nightwish
- The current bassist in Nightwish is Jukka Koskinen who was in Norther with Petri Lindroos, who replaced Maenpaa in Ensiferum
- Lindroos' replacement in Norther, Daniel Freyberg, was in the final lineup of Children of Bodom.
- Alexi Laiho had a brief stint in Impaled Nazarene, as did (I believe) the original bass player from Sentenced.

And that's just what I knew off the top of my head and found in like 2 mins of research on here. There's probably a ton more member-sharing going on if you dig a bit deeper than I did.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:27 pm 

SentByTheDevil87 wrote:
The Helloween Power Metal Industrial complex.

OK, all of that needs to be a BOOK!

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:32 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
Benedict Donald wrote:

Dio (Sab, Rainbow)
Ian Gillan (Sab, Purple)

If you include Ozzy and Dio's solo bands there's even more crossover. Bob Daisley, for example, was also a member of Ozzy's band and played live with Dio.

And a couple of Rainbow's singers later sang for Malmsteen, MSG, and Alcatrazz. And Daisley was in Malmsteens band, also!

MSG outta be in the archives by the way!!!!!

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:51 am 

Vale of Pnath and Abigail Williams share three members - Ken, Vance, and Gabe are full-time in each, and the only real difference is with bassists (Vale has Andy Torres, Abigail Williams just gets fill-ins but has been using John Porada lately), plus Vale's second guitarist.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:53 am 

Metal Shark wrote:
draconiondevil wrote:
Benedict Donald wrote:

Dio (Sab, Rainbow)
Ian Gillan (Sab, Purple)

And a couple of Rainbow's singers later sang for Malmsteen, MSG, and Alcatrazz. And Daisley was in Malmsteens band, also!

MSG outta be in the archives by the way!!!!!

Indeed. MSG absolutely belongs.

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:06 am 

Any band George Call joins usually ends up sharing members with Aska. I think Cloven Hoof was half Aska until he recently left.

Use Baloo and calypso music.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:26 am 

Type O Negative (Peter, Kenny, Johnny, Sal, Josh, Richard Termini - mixer, guest musician on few songs)
Carnivore (Peter, Joey from LOA - reunion only not original)
Life of Agony (Joey, Sal, Josh producer)
Pale Horse Named Death (Sal, Johnny)
Pist.On (Josh - producer, Johnny - live)
Seventh Void (Kenny, Johnny)
Silvertomb (Kenny, Johnny)
Danzig (Johnny)
Fallout (Pete, Josh)
Cyndi Lauper (Richard Termini - producer/synths)

I’m sure there are more I am forgetting, but this is the core Brooklyn Noo Yawk incestuous mix of bands)

Tengan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:19 pm 

A bit off topic perhaps, but Swedish black metal band Blodskam consist of two brothers. Blodskam is an old Swedish word for incest.

Reply to topic