Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:48 pm 

I'm really disapointed that they will be touring with pseudo-Pantera and Five Finger Death Punch for that upcoming tour.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:55 pm 

Song is okay but seriously, what the fuck:

"With 12 tracks totaling over 77 minutes"

just...why

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:14 pm 

jimbies wrote:
I was in the building for the Met40 celebration shows in Dec 2021. Lars was absolutely crushing it, specifically Night 1 with all the old cuts. Trapped Under Ice that night RIPPED. He hit all the double bass parts. He has sounded A LOT better in my opinion.

Funny, I've noticed that he's still playing like an absolute dumbass.
HeavenDuff wrote:
I'm really disapointed that they will be touring with pseudo-Pantera and Five Finger Death Punch for that upcoming tour.

Hopefully the both of them will do or say some cancel-worthy crap before the tour begins, which, given the attitudes, ideals, and imagery present in those bands, is likely to happen. And hopefully Metallica will be wise enough to take a stand and not tour with them.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:30 pm 

They need to hype this up, by issuing official PR statements like “this is going to be not only our most progressive, and avant-garde album, but it’s also going to be the heaviest! I think fans of all eras of the band will be thrilled.”

It’ll probably be okay, fun, and listenable.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:44 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Hopefully the both of them will do or say some cancel-worthy crap before the tour begins, which, given the attitudes, ideals, and imagery present in those bands, is likely to happen. And hopefully Metallica will be wise enough to take a stand and not tour with them.

You'd think that the "White power" incident would have been enough...

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:13 pm 

Definitely getting the early vibe of Diamond Head worship from this single. I'm hoping they also do some revisting of the glory days of RTL, MOP and AJFA. I am psyched for this album.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:05 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:

The venn diagram between "people who enjoy Metallica" and "people who enjoy FFDP" has far more overlap than metalheads would like to admit.

I have NO idea where metalheads got this "only erudite intellectuals like metal" thing but like, goddamn, we're talking about Metallica here. I guarantee you that Kyles in Tapout shirts driving big trucks around like Metallica, we're not talking about goddamn Imperial Triumphant here.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:47 am 

Anselmo has been dogbullhorning racist shit his entire career and has never gone anywhere, and it seems like the guitarist is the only insane right wing crank in FFDP and the other members just kinda deal with it, and he's not the face of the band that gives a thousand interviews per month. I sincerely doubt they're gonna say anything in the next year that will torpedo this opportunity for either band.

Don't listen to the crybabies. Metal bands are uncancellable and Dagon's continued career is eternal proof of that.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:06 am 

Well that new single is certainly not embarrassing. I do like Hetfield's voice (and the chorus, especially) but I do agree on Lars' drums sounding too in your face and "modern" in terms of bassdrum-clickiness. At least what he actually performs on here is not cringe-worthy either. Soloing is Kirk being Kirk, not much else to say about that.

Too bad that Trujillo is present in the video, but not in the mix.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:10 am 

Vadara wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:

The venn diagram between "people who enjoy Metallica" and "people who enjoy FFDP" has far more overlap than metalheads would like to admit.

I have NO idea where metalheads got this "only erudite intellectuals like metal" thing but like, goddamn, we're talking about Metallica here. I guarantee you that Kyles in Tapout shirts driving big trucks around like Metallica, we're not talking about goddamn Imperial Triumphant here.

I just said I'm disapointed that they would tour with them. Not that I didn't understand the decision from a monetary point of view.

Beyond just how terrible FFDP's music is, I have a hard time understanding why Metallica decided to tour with a bunch of bootlickers who were wooing the anti-vaxxer and far-right folks during the pandemic.

ZarathustraHead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:44 am 

jimbies wrote:
Holy Shit.

O good. Because I didn't get my fill of fake drums from this year's Megadeth record.

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
What do you expect me to do? You expect me to just... let manosphere dwellers be?

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:45 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Vadara wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:

I just said I'm disapointed that they would tour with them. Not that I didn't understand the decision from a monetary point of view.

Beyond just how terrible FFDP's music is, I have a hard time understanding why Metallica decided to tour with a bunch of bootlickers who were wooing the anti-vaxxer and far-right folks during the pandemic.

Umm. The same band that wrote a song called don’t tread on me? Hetfield is totally on the same wavelength as 5FDP when it comes to politics. Sad as it may be. Sad but true, if you will.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:55 am 

New Metallica album 2023? Lol....PASS

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:22 am 

AxeCapitol wrote:
Umm. The same band that wrote a song called don’t tread on me? Hetfield is totally on the same wavelength as 5FDP when it comes to politics. Sad as it may be. Sad but true, if you will.

Don't Tread on Me is not inherently a right-wing motto. I don't know exactly when it was appropriated, but the saying actually dates back to the American Revolution. The Metallica song clearly makes references to the American Revolution too. This is from the Wikipedia page about said song: "The lyrics reference American Revolutionary Patrick Henry's quote "give me liberty or give me death" with the line "liberty or death, what we so proudly hail". The lyric, "To secure peace, is to prepare for war" refers to the Latin adage Si vis pacem, para bellum ("If you want peace, prepare [for] a war"). The lyrics containing rattlesnake imagery are inspired by Benjamin Franklin's essay suggesting the rattlesnake is a good symbol for the American Spirit."

Also Metallica had songs in their discography that were openly critical of the political establishment and military, most noticeable example being Disposable Heroes.

They've also made statements over the years to say they were taking firm political stands on anything. Which I find lame, but still, they are not alligning themselves with specific ideologies as much as FFDP are.

Anyways. I don't mean to derail the thread too much. I really only wanted to voice a personnal disapointment in their choices of bands to tour with for this upcoming tour.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:02 am 

I thought it was kinda well known that James is a conservative republican nowadays. I feel like I've even heard before that Lars and Kirk get a kick out of acting gay around him because they know he gets uncomfortable (that could be horseshit because I genuinely can't remember the source, to be fair).

The most political their music ever really got never went beyond "war bad" and "politicians bad" which are very agreeable statements to both sides of the aisle generally (I know conservatives are the war mongers but be real, most randos don't like mass death for reasons they don't understand). I think James and Zoltan would have plenty to commiserate about. James is just smart enough to keep his politics to himself and never really even allows avenues for them to be brought up.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

a_s315
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:30 am 

Yesterday dont mean shit, that's it

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:48 am 

BastardHead wrote:
James is just smart enough to keep his politics to himself and never really even allows avenues for them to be brought up.

I've been told by one who read it that Mick Wall's Metallica biography has him ranting drunkenly about immigrants and using slurs to mock addicts and rap music but yeah he's largely stayed away from making statements in interviews.

Kirk and Lars are liberals. I don't think Metallica stands for anything politically.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:11 am 

Quote:
I really, really suspect this is gonna be Hardwired 2 in many ways.

You mean it is going to be Death Magnetic 3. Because that'd what they are doing. They have been releasing that album since 2008.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:34 am 

nightbreaker33 wrote:
Quote:

You mean it is going to be Death Magnetic 3. Because that'd what they are doing. They have been releasing that album since 2008.

Hardwired was nothing like Death Magnetic. Death Magnetic, like it or not, was a full thrash metal album. Hardwired was basically a compendium of some thrashier songs with a lot of the more arena rock kind of songs you could find on Reload, only a bit heavier.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:07 pm 

nightbreaker33 wrote:
Quote:

How you can think that Hardwired sounds the same as Death Magnetic is beyond me...

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:27 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
nightbreaker33 wrote:
Quote:

Hardwired was nothing like Death Magnetic. Death Magnetic, like it or not, was a full thrash metal album. Hardwired was basically a compendium of some thrashier songs with a lot of the more arena rock kind of songs you could find on Reload, only a bit heavier.

Yeah, I don't get that take myself. I liked HW a lot more than DM since it wasn't trying to remake an 80's Metallica album and failing.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:35 pm 

Good single, guitars a bit low on the mix and it sounds too clean. They need more Ride the Lightning production. The drums sound to loud and artificial. I guess it will be a lot like Hardwire
Not hearsay but the will of man

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:40 pm 

Got my tickets for the Montreal shows this morning! Gonna be jamming Metallica all day now :D

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:49 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Got my tickets for the Montreal shows this morning! Gonna be jamming Metallica all day now :D

I'm still considering it but the worst ticket will be 92 bucks plus fees. While I can easily afford that just not sure I want to pay that much as the cheapest seat I would like will be probably 150+.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:08 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
I liked HW a lot more than DM since it wasn't trying to remake an 80's Metallica album and failing.

Exactly! In fact Death Magnetic is the only Metallica album I don't like. It has its moments, but overall feels very forced. On Hardwired they found the balance between the old and the middle period and truly came onto their own, and judging by Lux Æterna they are maintaining that balance.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:17 pm 

I think it's pretty cool that James' son isn't riding his dad's coattails like when Steve Harris' kid's shitty band opened for Maiden on their US tour a few years back. Castor's band is some solid groovy shit that many Metallica fans would dig, but they're staying quiet and independent instead of flaunting their metal royalty credentials:

https://bastardane.bandcamp.com/album/is-this-rage
https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... eld/941533

That said, would have been nice if they brought in a relative unknown to open for them instead of these old meatheads.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:19 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:

Woo! I got Helsinki, Finland and Detroit, Michigan. Gonna gun for Edmonton, AB in 40 minutes.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:53 pm 

The song is ok, but that cover art is hideously atrocious. Ugh.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:14 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Spiner202 wrote:

I'm still considering it but the worst ticket will be 92 bucks plus fees. While I can easily afford that just not sure I want to pay that much as the cheapest seat I would like will be probably 150+.

I read that they are going to sell single day tickets starting in January. That might be a better option if you live in the city where the show is. Montreal is a 5-hour drive for me, so definitely need to hit both shows!

jimbies wrote:

Woo! I got Helsinki, Finland and Detroit, Michigan. Gonna gun for Edmonton, AB in 40 minutes.

You're crazy :lol:

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:33 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
I've been told by one who read it that Mick Wall's Metallica biography has him ranting drunkenly about immigrants and using slurs to mock addicts and rap music but yeah he's largely stayed away from making statements in interviews.

Kirk and Lars are liberals. I don't think Metallica stands for anything politically.

Good thing he’s not one.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:42 pm 

They made fun of Layne Staley back in the day - or rather James did. They did edgelord shit when they were younger but they are for example, close with Alice In Chains and never quite go off about hot button issues.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:03 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Spiner202 wrote:

I read that they are going to sell single day tickets starting in January. That might be a better option if you live in the city where the show is. Montreal is a 5-hour drive for me, so definitely need to hit both shows!

jimbies wrote:

You're crazy :lol:

Ended up passing on Edmonton, but pulled the trigger on Seattle. I am focused on seeing Springsteen and Metallica as many times as I possibly can in the next few years - because after these next few go-rounds, I may go the rest of my damn life without ever getting that feeling again.

Metallica or not, people, when you have the chance, PLEASE go see your favourite bands. Please.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:20 pm 

Not that I expected anything else but still, what a dogshit, soulless song lmao

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:02 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
I think it's pretty cool that James' son isn't riding his dad's coattails like when Steve Harris' kid's shitty band opened for Maiden on their US tour a few years back. Castor's band is some solid groovy shit that many Metallica fans would dig, but they're staying quiet and independent instead of flaunting their metal royalty credentials:

https://bastardane.bandcamp.com/album/is-this-rage
https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... eld/941533

That said, would have been nice if they brought in a relative unknown to open for them instead of these old meatheads.

Lars’ kid’s band Taipei Houston is pretty good as well, doing a DFA79/Royal Blood bass/drums duo type thing. Wild stuff. And they don’t appear to be coattail riding Metallica either.

As for this new Metallica tune, it’s not bad. Not great, not bad. I’ll give the album a spin when it’s released.
Obliteration

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:17 pm 

They sort of are though. While they aren't directly opening for Metallica, festivals are sucking up to them even though they haven't really done any gigs.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:05 pm 

Nothing will EVER be as bad as when they brought that awful fucking comedian to open and he was getting booed off the stage. but, yeah, the openers on the tour are fucking atrocious. I've seen Metallica 13 times, and have only seen 2 worthwhile openers ever. Baroness once and Gojira once.

Since they are taking different bands for nights 1 and 2 of each weekend, i thought it would have been super neat and give-back-y of them if each night had an up-and-coming band, one of their influences, and one of their peers.

Imagine they had a line-up of Enforced, Venom and Testament one night and Unto Others, Diamond Head and Exodus the next night? I mean, if you don't like those specific bands, just swap them out for your own favourites to make a nice lineup. Wish they'd do something like that.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:22 pm 

If this song is any indication of the music Metallica will play on this tour then they aren't even the best band there (that would be Ice Nine Kills), lmao. Nu-Architects is pretty whatever though and FFDP and Pantera weren't good when popular to begin with so I'll give you those.

Also Metallica has been having non-metal bands open for them for years at this point. They had goddamn Slipknot opening for them back when nu-metal was a thing anyone cared about. As I said before: they are so popular that they transcend metal fandom and I guarantee you that 95% of the people who will go to this can't name a single one of the other bands you mentioned. It's like going to a mainstream movie theater and being surprised that half the screens are showing the latest Marvel time-waster and there's no indie arthouse films.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:32 pm 

Exposing mainstream audiences to non-mainstream bands is a good thing, and the exact point we're trying to make. Metallica literally have a charity that helps working class Americans get good jobs. You would think they would extend that philosophy to the music world.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:37 pm 

Vadara wrote:
I guarantee you that 95% of the people who will go to this can't name a single one of the other bands you mentioned. It's like going to a mainstream movie theater and being surprised that half the screens are showing the latest Marvel time-waster and there's no indie arthouse films.

That was my point.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:39 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Exposing mainstream audiences to non-mainstream bands is a good thing, and the exact point we're trying to make. Metallica literally have a charity that helps working class Americans get good jobs. You would think they would extend that philosophy to the music world.

They already did. Remember all those times they covered Diamond Head, or Mercyful Fate? I know that's not the same as literally touring with them, but any Metallica tour is going to need support bands that have the logistical capabilities and name recognition (not to mention finances) to go to stadiums across the world. Most metal bands just can't cut it, and I don't think they would even want to in the first place.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next