Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:00 am 

Aw shit, here we go again:

THE ENCYCLOPAEDIA METALLUM ALBUM OF THE YEAR POLL

How exactly does this work you ask? Why it's simple! All you need to do is:

Select your top ten:
This is very easy, all you need to do is choose your top ten albums of the year.

PM your top ten, in order, to me, BastardHead:
It's that simple, just make a top ten and send it to me, I'll take care of all the number crunching nonsense!

What happens next is that I will assign each position a point value, grand prix style, so that first place votes are seen as more valuable than second place, and so on. The point values are as follows:

1 = 25 points
2 = 18 points
3 = 15 points
4 = 12 points
5 = 10 points
6 = 8 points
7 = 6 points
8 = 4 points
9 = 2 points
10 = 1 point

That may seem confusing and semi random for people who don't follow F1, but the idea of the point system being set up the way it is is that consistency is valued over a lucky win. So an album with twenty third place votes will fare better than one with ten first place votes. Regardless, we want you to put some good thought into this. Every vote counts! The idea is to get a collective snapshot of what we, as MA forumgoers, see to be the best albums of the year. So give it a lot of thought and let your voice be heard!

As with all things, there are a few guidelines we ask you to follow, but they're all quite simple, common sense rules.

1) METAL ONLY!: This is for the METAL Archives, so it would be really friggin' weird if a bunch of non-metal clogged up the final chart. I don't care how great the new [insert hip crossover artist I missed this year] album is, metal only. This will be measured by whether or not a band is on the archives. I don't claim to know every band, but I'll crosscheck ones I don't know against the database here, and if they don't have a page, your whole ballot goes in the internetical trash. This is very simple. The only exception is for bands who are on the archives but released a non-metal album, simply because I'm not about to split hairs and listen to every single album myself to make sure they all qualify. In clearer terms: An album like Blood Incantation's boring Tangerine Dream impression is fine; Chat Pile, despite being better than surely 99% of what will end up on the list, is not.

2) Make sure you vote for ten albums: If you can't think of ten great albums from this year, you don't really have any place deciding what was the best of the year.

3) Put your list in order: I'm assigning point values, it's important that they're in order. If you just give me something alphabetically with no determined ordering, I'll either just discard the entire ballot or change every vote to the new BongaBonga album out of spite. In the event of a tie, the album with more higher placed votes counts, so an album with ten votes all for fourth place will rank above one with a hundred and twenty votes only for tenth place (this isn't the sole tiebreaker anymore because I realized it was stupid but if two albums have the same point AND vote total, this will be how they're sorted), so please, order them!

4) New, original material only: So no live albums or compilations or anything like that. This is simply so no pointless "best of" release or something shows up. Those are never in play unless it's something totally rerecorded and treated as a new release, which to my knowledge is extremely rare, and if there is such a case that you loved and want to vote for, just use your best judgment as to whether or not it's a standalone release or simply a "best of" collection with a new vocalist or something. So full lengths, demos, EPs, splits, etc. are all fair game. Live albums, comps, box sets, rereleases, deluxe editions, etc. are not.

5) Only albums actually released in 2022: This should go without saying but I want to make it clear just in case. Be sure it actually came out this year, if you vote for some 2023 album because it was leaked in November, I will invent a way to slap you through your monitor.

6) One ballot per user: Again, should go without saying, but don't try to vote multiple times to inflate the numbers. I will notice and I'll just wipe your whole vote if you decide to be a numbskull.

7) Your account must have been registered before this thread was created: This shouldn't apply to pretty much all of you, but it's just to prevent duplicate sockpuppet accounts trying to game the system. Don't do that.

8) Don't be a dick: We're running on the honor system here, and I obviously can't police the intentions of everybody who votes, but please don't be a troll who votes in a bunch of crap you've never heard of for yuks. Nor should you vote in things you actually think are terrible as some weird form of protest. Nor should you vote the same album ten times. Nor should you vote for something your own band released. We're trusting you to take this seriously enough to have fun with this but not act like an idiot, just use common sense and don't waste our time.

And that's all there is to it! This thread is open for questions, discussions, and what-have-you until the results are posted in a new thread next year.. If you want to say "Hey guys, if you liked the new Vomit Sodomy record, be sure to check out the new Goat Fucking Moonpocalypse too!" or something, that's more than welcome! The more people know about great albums, the better! The whole idea here is to get a snapshot of how MA feels and hopefully to introduce everybody to some great stuff they may not have heard of before. I know in the past I've always asked you guys to not posts your lists in this thread for Reasons X and Y but honestly? Go ahead. I usually do pre-polls if there's a potential rule change but this time it's kinda obvious that I was the only person who gave a shit. I was always worried about lesser enthusiasm if something pulls ahead early or the results get too easy to guess or whatever, but the mid-year polls don't have this pointless restriction and everybody is happier for it and those are arguably more popular than these year end polls! Just PLEASE be sure to PM your ballots to me as well, since that's the only way I'll be able to truly keep track of them and get them all counted.

Lastly I'm not going to bother with Debut of the Year this year. It's never really been a popular sidebar anyway so let's just spare me the extra work and let y'all focus on the main course.

Polls are open until January 1st, 2023, MA time (so Eastern, or GMT -05:00). I NEED TO STRESS THAT THIS IS THE CLOSED TIME. Every year there are a few people who misinterpret the time as the 1st being the last day to submit, but really that's the day when you can't submit any further. The results should go up on the 1st if all goes according to plan, so it would be insane to still take votes while I'm in the several-hour process of transferring everything from the spreadsheet to a forum post. ONCE THE YEAR CHANGES, THE POLLS ARE CLOSED, PLEASE DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND THIS!

And yes I know there are always some people dissatisfied with this because some albums are released in late December, but we went through this entire song and dance before and I even put it up for a vote, and the way we've been doing it without incident for the past several years wound up winning anyway and I'm just not going through that whole jive again. Deadline is final. I'm sorry if you're dissatisfied. Please send all hate mail to jimbies (he snagged the imaginary internet karma by getting the thread about the new Metallica album up before it was actually announced so this is his equal-and-opposite punishment).

Feel free to send me your votes whenever you feel comfortable with your list and I will post the results as soon as I can after they close, likely within the week (historically on the first day). Have fun and happy voting!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:50 am 

Oh boy, my favourite time of the year

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:55 am 

Very interested in this one. I have enough to make a top 30 if I wanted to. Lots of great releases this year. Will think about this for a couple of weeks.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Shad_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:06 am 

This is the thread where I inevitably discover half of my favorite 2022 albums. Cheers.

Some frontrunners off the top of my head:
Ashenspire - Hostile Architecture
Entgeist - Res Gestae
Immolation - Acts of God
Kostnatění - Oheň hoří tam, kde padl
Scarcity - Aveilut
Swampborn - Beyond Ratio

I think my actual album of the year is Chat Pile, but I can respect not counting them.

Voidsel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:12 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Polls are open until January 1st, 2023, MA time (so Eastern, or GMT -05:00). I NEED TO STRESS THAT THIS IS THE CLOSED TIME.

Had this thought last year but sat on it. Can you steal 1 minute from us to make it easier for yourself? I.e.

Polls are open until 11:59pm December 31st, 2022, MA time

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:34 am 

BastardHead wrote:
If you can't think of ten great albums from this year, you don't really have any place deciding what was the best of the year.

This is me this year.
Spoiler: show
At the beginning of the year, I followed new releases in my favorite subgenres (mostly of doom and black metal) of metal music, but then I was not able to listen to much music here in Ukraine. At first, I couldn’t listen to any music at all because I had to have good audibility around me and "free ears" 24/7 in order to follow air raid sirens outside the window and always be prepared to run to the bomb shelter/or at least to the safest place in my flat, then we got a possibility to use special telegram channels/special mobile programs on the mobile phone - when you have a possibility to put your phone on vibrate or to see a message about those alerts on the screen - but still, there were many periods of time when I was in no mood to listen to anything but the voice of my closest relatives who, fortunately, are in relative safety (as much as it can be "safe" when you live in a world where there are nuclear weapons...) in another European country, - so, anyway, I must say that I rarely listened to music this year and almost did not follow the new releases, and even if I listened to new music after the beginning of the full-scale war, it was only music from Ukrainian non-metal artists (and purchases of their releases in many cases meant that part of the money would go to humanitarian aid donations to those people from Ukraine who are refugees in this war and who lost their homes/their health. I know, there have been metal artist from Ukraine who also donate, but I only follow Ukrainian metal artists in doom metal genre and there are not many of them these days; as for Ukrainian black metal, I stopped interested/discovered it long time ago), hope this is understandable.
The only month when I listened to metal relatively often was the month of mid-year poll - it was a great motivation to vote in the poll for the best albums of the 90s, and I saved the list with the results of that poll for the best times to discover interesting metal albums from that amazing period of time for metal music of my favorite genres. Thanks a lot again for this!
And even if I don't have a possibility to vote in this "Best albums of the year of 2022" poll, it will be interesting to see the results of the best albums of 2022 here on MA, and maybe I will find some interesting albums here from subgenres I usually follow and will be able to support a few bands from some other countries.

Last edited by sjal on Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:16 am 

Personally I'm very interested in your top 10 this year BH, since you commented in the thread at mid year about Véhémence, Devil Master and White Ward being the releases that had surprised you the most this year I wonder if they will still be in your top 10. It's very likely they'll make it into mine but I'm going to spend most of this month revisiting all the 2022 releases I've listened to.

Edit: Misspeled

Last edited by Forever Underground on Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:22 am 

Forever Underground wrote:
Personally I'm very interested in your top 10 this year BH, since you commented in the thread at mid year about Véhémence, Devil Master and White Ward being the releases that had surprised you the most this year I wonder if they will still be in your top 10. It's very likely they'll make it into mine but I'm going to spend most of this month reviewing all the 2022 releases I've listened to.

I have a lot of stuff to revisit and check out still, but those three are pretty safe, lol. There is a chance Vehemence drops off since that one lost some of its luster over the months but I'm almost certain White Ward is gonna be my #1. No idea how well they'll do overall because I was gone most of the year and don't know how they were received here, but my personal hope is that they have a decent showing.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Chickin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:36 am 

think i will submit a end of the year list for the first time this year, two last years I`ve only gotten a handful of releases that qualify for it. But this year I´ve been working on listening to more new metal releases, considering theese

Ashenspire, messa, CoL, truchlo strzygi, scarcity, boris, friends of hell, vermilia

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:43 am 

1. Deathspell omega - the long defeat
2. Blut aus nord - disharmonium
3. Imperial triumphant - spirit of ecstasy
4. Meshuggah - immutable
5. Titan to tachyons - vonals
6. Scarcity - aveilut
7. R'luuh - exhaustion
8. White ward - false light
9. Hath
10. Luminous vault
11. Bekor qilish

A rough demo for later

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:45 am 

I already have my top 10, I'm just waiting for that Misthyrming album to drop.

Simfers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:51 am 

Ooooooh, been looking forward to this! My top 10 is pretty much set, unless December throws a major curve-ball my way (so I'm gonna wait a week or two just in case), I just need to put it in order, which is its own struggle.

So far:

Power Paladin - With The Magic Of Windfyre Steel
Star One - Revel In Time
Sanhedrin - Lights On
Dreamtale - Everlasting Flame
Mirror - The Day Bastard Leaders Die
Wind Rose - Warfront
Blind Guardian - The God Machine
Fellowship - The Saberlight Chronicles
Dark Forest - Ridge and Furrow
Threshold - Dividing Lines

Surprisingly, Amorphis' Halo, Avantasia's A Paranormal evening With the Moonflower Society and Satan's Earth Infernal didn't make the cut. Avantasia, in particular, made it all the way to the end, losing out to Sanhedrin. Consider them number 11.

This years's been kind of a shit year for me from a personal standpoint, as my wife's been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer (the fight is ongoing is is actually going STAGGERINGLY well). My lists have always been more biased towards music that gives me a good feeling and is fun, but that's turned that simple preference into an overriding imperative.

Thank you BH!

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:47 am 

I would say that 2022 was the most unexciting year for new music since I've been a real, true music fan and started paying attention to new releases. (around 1999). Not just for metal, but for music in general.

I'll still be able to make a list of 10, but I get the feeling that half of these wouldn't have my made my list in any year between 2010-2022.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:48 am 

Also - since submitting bands has never been my thing (I always seem to fuck something up), can someone please add Yrre before the end of the year so I can include "Luhale x The Witch" properly on my list.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:20 am 

2022 is, reluctantly, the year that I started streaming music for the first time, so it means that I might be more interested in the overall list than simply seeing where the albums I like placed.

Overall, I thought this was a reasonably strong year, especially in August/September when great new albums were coming out every week. I'm not certain where my top 10 will land yet, but I bet half of it was released in September alone.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:36 am 

Can't say there's any albums that have really stood out for me this year. The past few polls I've always been certain what would be in my top 2-3, but I'm not too sure this time round. I'm looking forward to the next mid year poll more.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:52 am 

Nice! I already started revisiting my favorite records of the year to sort them out and rank them. I don't have a definitive list, but I have a few albums that will most definitely end up in my top 10, although the order might change, and here they are:

Hath - All That Was Promised
Devoid of Life - Embracing Emptiness
Messa - Close
Cosmic Putrefaction - Crepuscular Dirge for the Blessed Ones
Sigh - Shiki
Humanotonoe - A Flourishing Fall in a Grain of Sand
Cult of Luna - The Long Road North

Now, there's a whole lot of other records I really loved but am unsure about including yet, namely:
Voivod - Synchro Anarchy
Incandescence - Le coeur de l'homme
Vermilia - Ruska
Immolation - Acts of God
Artificial Brain - Artificial Brain
Kvaen - The Great Below
Aesthus - Hänen temppelinsä varjoissa

And a few more I can't remember right now.

Can't wait to see the final rankings! Time to have some fun, people! :)

Last edited by HeavenDuff on Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:06 am 

2022 was actually a really interesting year in metal. It's gonna take some time for me to compile the list, but there's a lot of fantastic albums to account for. At least for me personally.

EDIT: I just realized this:
BastardHead wrote:
An album like Blood Incantation's boring Tangerine Dream impression is fine

Guess BH didn't like Timewave Zero that much...

Last edited by Slater922 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:06 am 

Ok, here we go. I've been working on this all year after not taking it seriously enough last time (I can't believe it's gone so fast!) and it's the first time I've conscientiously (and anally) kept track of everything that has come my way. I think I'll keep it up every year as so much amazing music would have totally flown under my radar otherwise.
I've built up a pretty huge list of everything I've liked in each of the subgenres throughout the year. My top 10 is pretty much done but I'm holding off in case of any last-minute surprises.

Here's my list in case anyone's interested:

2022 ALBUMS

BLACK METAL
- Sothoris 'Wpieklowstapienie' (!)
- Dark funeral 'We are the apocalypse'
- Vanum 'Legend' (!)
- Owls Woods Graves 'Secret spies of the horned patrician' (!)
- Schrat 'Seelenfresser' (!)
- Storm Kvlt 'Europas weg zum grab' (!)
- Nokturnal Mortum 'To lunar poetry' (!)
- Eldritch (UK) 'I shall raise my burning sword' y 'Altar of the nameless ones' (!)
- Bannerless 'Mighty winds shall carry their names' (re Eldritch)
- Vorga 'Striving toward oblivion' (!)
- Pure Wrath 'Hymn to the woeful hearts' (!)
- Gleichmacher 'Kränkung, Fall, Verderben'
- Moonlight sorcery 'Piercing through the frozen eternity' (EP) (!)
- Downcross 'Hexapoda triumph'
- Non est deus 'Impious'
- Véhémence 'Ordalies'
- Sidious 'Blackest insurrection' (UK!)
- Ultra Silvam 'The sanctity of death' (!)
- Persecutory 'Summoning the lawless legions'
- Konvent 'Call down the sun'
- In Aphelion 'Moribund' (!)
- Sumerian Tombs S/T
- Glemsel 'Forfader'
- Kvaen 'The great below' (!)
- Grand Harvest 'Consummatum Est'
- Aesthus 'Hänen temppelinsä varjoissa' (!)
- Aethyrick 'Pilgrimage'
- Chaos Invocation 'Devil, stone and man' (!) Etc
- Ultha 'All that has never been true'
- Vimur 'Transcendental violence'
- Marrasmieli 'Martaiden Mailta' y 'Live rehearsal'
- Devoid of life 'Embracing emptiness'
- Saidan 'Onryo: Her spirit eternal'
- Black Altar y Vulture Lord split 'Deathiah manifesto'
- Archgoat 'All Christianity ends' EP
- Grand Belial's Key 'Kohanic Charmers'
- Incandescence 'Le coeur de l'Homme'
- Abhoria s/t
- Ruine 'Revolte et cranerie paysanne'
- Stangarigel 'Na severe srdca'
- The Spirit 'Of clarity and galactic structures' (!)
- Grafvitnir 'Tunes of Sitra Ahra'
- Watain 'The agony and ecstasy of Watain'
- Djevelkult 'Drep alle guder'
- Sakis Tollis 'Among the fires of hell'
- Funerarium '1692'
- Ceremonial Castings 'Our journey through forever'
- Ante-inferno (UK) 'Antediluvian dreamscapes'
- Synteleia 'The secret last syllable' (!)
- Aara 'Triade II: Hemera' y 'Phthonos' (EP)
- Horn 'Verzet' (!)
- Acherontas 'Malocchio: the seven tongues of Daemon'
- Sacred Son 'The foul deth of Engelond'
- Malphas 'Divinity's fall'
- In Twilight's Embrace 'Lifeblood' (!)
- Ash of Ashes 'Traces'
- Wallfahrer 'Den menschen so fern'
- Corpus Christii 'The bitter end of old'
- Negative Plane 'The pact' (!)
- Predatory Light 'Death and the twilight hours' (!)
- Slaegt 'Goddess' (!)
- Lifvsleda 'Sepulkral dedikation' (!)
- Nattehimmel 'The night sky beckons' (demo)
- Livssyke 'Solace in worms' (EP)
- Lord Belial 'Rapture' (!)
- Olhava 'Reborn'
- Thrall 'Schisms'
- Aegrus 'The carnal temples' (EP !)
- Gjendod 'I utakt med verden'
- Moribund Dawn 'Dark mysteries of time & eternity'
- Malaöun 'The forsaken spirit'
- Hulder 'The eternal fanfare' (EP) (fem)
- Bhleg 'Fäghring' (!)
- Muert 'Haeresis' (Canarias)
- Inexorum 'Equinox vigil' (!)
- Verberis 'Adumbration of the veiled logos' (!)
- Denouncement Pyre 'Forever burning' (!)
- Liber Null 'For whom is the night' (!)
- Mystic Circle s/t y
- Heinous 'Ritual, blood and mysterious dawn'
- Totensucht 'Trimurti' (!) Etc
- Boötes Void 'C.O.L.D.' (Mgla)
- Nite 'Voices of the kronian moon' (black/heavy)
- Lucifer's Child y Mystifier 'Under Satan's wrath'
- I am the Night 'While the gods are sleeping'
- Tómarúm 'Ash in realms of stone icons'
- Khold 'Svartsyn'
- Devils Tail 'Desolation'
- Afsky 'I stilhed' (EP)
- Blazemth 'The return of Lucifer' (Cat)
- Written in Torment 'Black command' (UK)
- Duir 'TSNRI'
- Entgeist 'Res gestae'
- Zemial 'To slay with silent dagger' (! )
- Asterean 'Cosmorama'
- Grima 'Frostbitten'
- Mystic Circle s/t (!)
- Bâ'a 'Egrégore'
- Orgrel 'The oath of the black wolf' (EP !)
- Craystayler 'Vision of death'
- Solipsism 'Our night never ends' (!)
- Occultum 'Apokatastasis'
- Autonoesis 'Moon of foul magics' (!)
- Blackbraid 'I' (!)
- White Rune 'Dawn of the white rune'
- Wachenfeldt 'Faustian reawakening'
- Mork 'Den svevende festning' (EP)
- Mournful Moon 'Rose velvet dynasty' (!)
- Lord Belial 'Rapture'
- Gaerea 'Mirage'
- Wake 'Thought form descent'
- Sorcier des Glaces 'Snowland 2022'
- Null 'Origin' (!) Etc
- Vaamatar 'Medievalgeist' (!)
- Saor 'Origins'
- Belphegor 'The devils
- Odium Humani Generis 'Zarzewie' (!)
- Mimorium 'The route of haeresis' (!),
- Condra 'Aeonic tempest from the abyss'
- Ancst 'Zorn' (EP !)
- Thos Aella 'Sempiternal mobocracies'
- Apocalyptic Leaders 'Destructive rage of the enemies'
- Likheim 'Alt skal svinne hen'
- Firtan 'Marter'
- Horrid Litany 'Lunar memoriam'
- Sitis (Croatia) 'Ruina'
- Atramentum (UK) 'Through fire, everything is renewed' (drums)
- Allocer Wolfe 'A man made from nowhere' (!)
- Blut Aus Nord 'Disharmonium'
- Stormruler 'Sacred rights & black magick' (!)
- Wormgod 'Where old curses rest' (!)
- Gevurah 'Gehinnom' (!)
- Darkthrone 'Astral fortress'
- Rebel Wizard 'The warning of three' (3 EPs)
- Toadeater 'Bexadde'
- Vastatum 'Mercurial states of revelation' (EP)
- Bran 'Odchazeni'
- Gudsforladt 'Friendship, love and war' (black/70s rock)
- Malist 'As I become darkness'
- Kampfar 'Til klovers takt' (!)
- Drudkh 'All belong to the night'
- Vananidr 'Beneath the mold'(!)
- Galicia (US) 'Precipice' (black/death/thrash/melodic/war !) Etc
- Ashes 'Gloom, ash and emptiness to the horizon' (re Mgla)
- Blood of the Wolf 'IV: The declaration of war eternal' (black/death)
- Djevel 'Naa skrider natten sort'
- Lykotonon 'Promethean pathology' (avant-garde)

DEATH METAL
- Undeath 'It's time... to rise from the grave'
- Abyssus 'Death revival' (!)
- Exhaustion 'Cold death embrace'
- Immolation 'Acts of god' (!)
- Angelblast 'Throne of ashes' (EP) !
- Desolate shrine 'Fires of the dying world'
- Disfuneral 'Blood red tentacle' (!)
- Epitaphe 'II'
- Inhuman Condition 'Fearsick'
- Sentient Horror 'Rites of gore' (!)
- Napalm Death 'Resentment is always seismic' (EP)
- Malefic Throne s/t (EP)
- Druid Lord 'Relics of the dead'
- Sepulchral 'From beyond the burial mound' (Eusk)
- Pharmacist 'Flourishing extremities on unspoiled mental grounds'
- Cryptworm 'Spewing mephitic putridity'
- Eucharist 'I am the void'
- Darkened 'The black winter' (!)
- Corpsessed 'Succumb to rot'
- Rotten Tomb 'Visions of a dismal fate' (!)
- Jungle Rot 'A call to arms'
- Scalpture 'Feldwärts'
- Dead Chasm (EP)
- Vulcano 'Stone orange'
- Demonical 'Mass destroyer' y 'In league with death' EP
- Lunar Blood 'Twilight insurgency'
- Pyrrhic Salvation 'Manifestum I' (EP)
- Cosmic Putrefaction 'Crepuscular dirge for the blessed ones' (!)
- Inanna 'Void of unending depths'
- Clairvoyance 'Threshold of nothingness' (EP)
- Sadist 'Firescorched'
- Slugathor 'Crypt of the ancient fire'
- Vile Rites 'The ageless' (EP)
- Krisiun 'Mortem solis'
- The Chasm 'The scars of a lost reflective shadow' (!)
- Church of Disgust 'Weakest is the flesh'
- Desecresy 'Unveiling the abyss'
- Grave Infestation 'Persecution of the living'
- Massacre 'Mythos' (EP)
- Misery Index 'Complete control'
- Tomb Mold 'Aperture of body' (Demo EP)
- Suppression (Chile) 'The sorrow of soul through flesh'
- Nihilo 'Resolution'
- Besieged 'Violence beyond all reason'
- Static Abyss 'Labyrinth of veins' (re Autopsy)
- Egregore 'The word of his law' (black/death)
- Feaces Christ 'Gimme morgue!' etc (death/punk)
- Father Befouled 'Crowned in Veneficum'
- Introtyl 'Adfectus' (fem Mex)
- Thorium 'Danmark' (!)
- Cryptivore 'Celestial extinction' (one-man !)
- Chaotian 'Effigies of obsolescence'
- Werewolves 'From the cave to the grave'
- Fetal Blood Eagle 'Indoctrinate'
- Thyrargo 'Impulses'
- Deathcult 'Of soil unearthed'
- Consecration 'Cinis' (UK)
- Slaughterday 'Tyrants of doom'
- Paganizer 'Beyond the macabre' y 'The flesh dwellers' (comp)
- Catalyst 'The great purpose of the lords'
- Haunter 'Discarnate ails'
- Grenadier 'Trumpets blare in blazing glory' (!!)
- Hissing 'Hypervirulence architecture'
- Obituary 'Slowly we rot' y 'Cause of death' live
- Death Breath 'The old hag' (EP) (!)
- Deathbringer 'It'
- Gorebringer 'Terrified beyond measure'
- Maul 'Seraphic punishment'
- Weaponry 'Everwinding slaughter' (Rotten y Jo Steele)
- Echelon 'Open wide the adamantine gates' (Dave Ingram !)
- Triumvir Foul 'Onslaught to seraphim'
- Necrom 'All paths are left here' (!)
- Mortify 'Fragments at the edge of sorrow'
- Inner Darkness 'Descent to darkness'
- Rise of Kronos 'Council of prediction'
- Heads for the Dead 'The great conjuration'
- Unbounded Terror 'Echoes of despair' (Esp)
- Bloodbath 'Survival of the sickest'
- Malignant Aura 'Abysmal misfortune is draped upon me' (death/doom)
- Mortuous 'Upon desolation'
- Autopsy 'Morbidity triumphant' (!)
- Cruz 'Confines de la cordura' (Cat !)
- Graceless 'Chants from purgatory'
- Miscreance 'Convergence' (tech rollo Death)
- Psycroptic 'Divine council'
- Ribspreader 'Crypt world' etc
- Consumption 'Necrotic lust' (re Carcass)
- Perdition Temple 'Merciless upheaval' (black/death)
- Origin 'Chaosmos' (!)
- Katakomba s/t
- Ripped to Shreds 'Jubian' (!)
- Reeking Aura 'Blood and bonemeal' (!) y EP
- Spectrum Mortis (Mad) 'Bit meseri' (!)
- Faceless Burial 'At the foothills of deliration' (!)
- Wake 'Thought form descent' etc (death/grind etc)
- Molder 'Engrossed in decay' (!)
- Catalyst 'A different painting for a new world' (tech)
- Exhumed 'To the dead'
- Rites of Daath 'Doom spirit emanation'
- Teratoma (Cat) 'Chaosmakers'
- Disillusion (Ger) 'Ayam' (melodic/progressive)
- Masakre 'Morbid extinction'
- Bones 'Sombre opulence'
- Ares Kingdom 'In darkness at last' (!)
- Bark 'Rambler of aeons' etc
- Soul Grinder (Ger) 'Anthems from the abyss'
- Aeviterne 'The ailing façade'
- Jade (Cat) 'The pacification of death' (atmo!)
- Sépulcre 'Cursed ways of Sheol' (EP)
- Detherous 'Unrelenting malevolence' (death/thrash)

THRASH METAL
- Nocturnal Graves 'An outlaw's stand' (!)
- Deathhammer 'Electric warfare'
- Sphinx 'Deathstroke'
- Solicitor 'All debts on death' (EP)
- Infernal Seer 'Blackened world'
- Vio-lence 'Let the world burn' (EP)
- Lawnmower Deth 'Blunt cutters'
- Municipal Waste 'Electrified brain' (!)
- Insulter '... To the last!' (!)
- Demoniac 'Judgement of death' (EP reissue !)
- Dead Head 'Slave driver' (!)
- Toxik 'Dis morta' (!)
- Blood Storm 'Cursedness of the cinder witch' (!)
- Witchery 'Nightside'
- Vulcan Tyrant 'Vulcanocide' (black/thrash)
- Tankard 'Pavlov's dawgs'
- Sadistic Ritual 'The enigma, boundless' (!)
- Sacrifizer 'Le diamant de Lucifer'
- Destruction 'Diabolical' (!)
- Schizophrenia 'Recollections of the insane'
- Morbid Cross 'Ungodly infestation' (!)
- Flayed Disciple 'A hell in living flesh' (EP)
- Solitary (UK) 'Live at Bloodstock'
- Protector 'Excessive outburst of depravity'
- Critical Defiance 'No life forms' (!)
- Hyperia 'Silhouettes of horror' (fem) etc
- Fugitive 'Maniac' (re Power Trip EP !)
- Gallower 'Eastern witchcraft' (EP)
- Bloodletter 'Malignancy' (EP)
- Ominum 'Monument'
- Vicious Knights 'Alteration through possession' (!)
- Wraith 'Faster than the fucking devil' (split)
- Traitor 'Exiled to the surface'
- Megadeth 'The sick, the dying...and the dead!'
- Mindforce 'New lords'
- Hydra Vein 'Unlamented'
- Ninth Realm 'A fate unbroken' (!)
- Xentrix 'Seven words' (!)
- Annihilation Process 'Sickening madness' (EP)
- Sarcator 'Alkahest' (!)
- Witchmaster (black/thrash) 'Kazn'
- Reaper 'Viridian inferno'
- High Command 'Eclipse of the dual moons' (!)
- Terrörhammer 'Gateways to Hades' (!!)

TRAD/SPEED/DOOM/POWER
- Cloven Hoof 'Time assassin' (!)
- Luzifer 'Iron shackles'
- Mount Saturn 'O, great moon'
- Evil Invaders 'Shattering reflection' (!)
- Venator 'Echoes from the gutter'
- Friends of Hell s/t
- Ereb Altor 'Vartigmman' (!)
- Mirror 'The day bastard leaders die'
- Satan 'Earth infernal'
- Soul Grinder (USA) 'Queen Corrosia' (EP)
- Hellhaim 'Let the dead not lose hope'
- Ice War 'Beyond the void' (!)
- Tony Martin 'Thorns'
- Fer de Lance 'The Hyperborian' (!)
- Harbinger 'Doom on you'
- Darkher 'The buried storm'
- Armory 'Mercurion'
- Famyne 'II The ground below'
- Tysondog 'Midnight'
- Vórtize 'Tienes que luchar' (!)
- Devil Cross 'Condemned' (!)
- Redshark 'Digital race' (Cat)
- Haunt 'Windows of your heart'
- Maule s/t (!)
- Crystal Viper 'The last axeman'
- Savage Master 'Those who hunt at night' (voz fem !)
- Sanhedrin 'Lights on' (! Voz fem)
- Raptore 'Blackfire' (Esp !)
- Acid Blade 'Power dive'
- Iron Brigade 'Winds of war'
- Tad Morose 'March of the obsequious'
- Blind Guardian 'The god machine'
- Bloody Hammers 'Washed in the blood' (doom/hard rock)
- The Otolith 'Folium limina'
- Steel Inferno 'Evil reign' (re early Overkill !)
- Iron Kingdom (voz fem) 'The blood of creation'
- Candlemass 'Sweet evil sun'
- Hell Fire 'Reckoning' etc
- Midnight 'Let there be witchery' y Whitespade (re Motorhead)

PUNK/GRIND/OTHERS
- Blood incantation 'Timewave zero'
- Pillaging Villagers s/t (!)
- Black Panda 'Viaje a la lona' (!)
- Truchlo Strzygi 'Gwiezdni Demon' (!)
- Wolfbastard 'Hammer the bastards'
- Devil Master 'Ecstasies of never ending night' (!)
- Spiter 'Bathe the babe in bats' blood' (!)
- Ironhawk 'Ritual of the warpath' (heavy/speed/punk) (!)
- Harrowed 'Poison death' (death/crust) split con Phantom Corporation 'Banner of hatred'
- Diabolical Evil 'Cursed by blood' (one-man, black/speed)
- Nechochwen 'Kanawha black'
- Ratos de Porao 'Necropolitica' (!)
- The Catatonics 'Hunted down' (reissue)
- Wormrot 'Hiss'
- Hiatus 'From resignation... '
- A.F.K (punk HC Ger) 'Another pair of eyes',
- White Ward 'False light' etc
- Final Light s/t (!)
- Mantar 'Pain is forever and this is the end'
- Triac 'Pure joy'
- Insurgency 'Primitive shrines'
- Depopulation Department 'Starvation' (re Haemorrhage)
- Excruciation 'Premature darkness' (EP)
- Crust 'Wanderers'
- Bastard 'Rotten blood'
- Candy 'Heaven is here'
- Lucifuge/Bunker 66 'Of night and lust'
- Saccage 'Charogne' (EP)
- Wormrot 'Hiss'
- Spiritworld 'Deathwestern' (thrash/death/hardcore)

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:26 am 

Unless the new Induction and Judicator are really good, or there's some other non-extreme metal album I missed this year, my list is already done. It's ranked and everything.

Not a single album this year has earned a slot in my 10/10 category. I thought last year was unexciting when only one album made it there, but yeesh.

Top 10 Albums of 2022:

1. Borealis - Illusions
2. Avantasia - A Paranormal Evening With the Moonflower Society
3. Threshold - Dividing Lines
4. Blind Guardian - The God Machine
5. Battle Beast - Circus of Doom
6. Dragonland - The Power of the Nightstar
7. Seventh Wonder - The Testament
8. Satan - Earth Infernal
9. Dynazty - Final Advent
10. Fellowship - The Saberlight Chronicles

Totally Should Count as 2022 Release:
Solarus - A Dance With Tragedy

Runner Ups:
Eh.

The Nominees:
10 out of 10

9 out of 10
Battle Beast - Circus of Doom
Borealis - Illusions
Avantasia - A Paranormal Evening With the Moonflower Society
Dragonland - The Power of the Nightstar
Threshold - Dividing Lines

8 out of 10
Satan - Earth Infernal
Dynazty - Final Advent
The Ferrymen - One More River to Cross
Eternal Ascent - Reclamation
Fellowship - The Saberlight Chronicles
Hexed - Pagans Rising
Seventh Wonder - The Testament
Kliodna - Way of Heroes
Galderia - Endless Horizon

7 out of 10
Wolf - Shadowland
Livewire - Under Attack!
Visions of Atlantis - Pirates
Fallen Sanctuary - Terranova
Victorius - Dinosaur Warfare 2
A Sound of Thunder - The Krimson Kult
Stratovarius - Survive
Queensryche - Digital Noise Alliance
Riot City - Electric Elite
Stranger Vision - Wasteland

6 out of 10
Planeswalker - Tales of Magic
Edenbridge - Shangri-La
Hammerstar - Hammerstar
White Skull - Metal Never Rusts

<5 out of 10
Ashes of Ares - Emperors and Fools
Sabaton - The War to End All Wars
Magica - Nebula Luna

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:02 pm 

Lagartija wrote:
Ok, here we go. I've been working on this all year after not taking it seriously enough last time (I can't believe it's gone so fast!) and it's the first time I've conscientiously (and anally) kept track of everything that has come my way. I think I'll keep it up every year as so much amazing music would have totally flown under my radar otherwise.
I've built up a pretty huge list of everything I've liked in each of the subgenres throughout the year. My top 10 is pretty much done but I'm holding off in case of any last-minute surprises.

2022 ALBUMS

BLACK METAL
- Vanum 'Legend' (!)
- Eldritch (UK) 'I shall raise my burning sword' y 'Altar of the nameless ones' (!)
- Non est deus 'Impious'
- Véhémence 'Ordalies'
- Sumerian Tombs S/T
- Glemsel 'Forfader'
- Aethyrick 'Pilgrimage'
- Abhoria s/t
- Funerarium '1692'
- Horn 'Verzet' (!)
- Ash of Ashes 'Traces'
- Slaegt 'Goddess' (!)
- Olhava 'Reborn'
- Thrall 'Schisms'
- Bhleg 'Fäghring' (!)
- Mystic Circle s/t y
- Khold 'Svartsyn'
- Afsky 'I stilhed' (EP)
- Duir 'TSNRI'
- Entgeist 'Res gestae'
- Asterean 'Cosmorama'
- Grima 'Frostbitten'
- Mystic Circle s/t (!)
- Bâ'a 'Egrégore'
- Blackbraid 'I' (!)
- Lord Belial 'Rapture'
- Gaerea 'Mirage'
- Null 'Origin' (!) Etc
- Saor 'Origins'
- Belphegor 'The devils
- Ancst 'Zorn' (EP !)
- Firtan 'Marter'
- Gevurah 'Gehinnom' (!)
- Toadeater 'Bexadde'
- Bran 'Odchazeni'

DEATH METAL
- Epitaphe 'II'
- Scalpture 'Feldwärts'
- Dead Chasm (EP)
- Vulcano 'Stone orange'
- Sadist 'Firescorched'
- Krisiun 'Mortem solis'
- Massacre 'Mythos' (EP)
- Nihilo 'Resolution'
- Thorium 'Danmark' (!)
- Thyrargo 'Impulses'
- Deathbringer 'It'
- Origin 'Chaosmos' (!)
- Katakomba s/t
- Exhumed 'To the dead'

THRASH METAL
- Sphinx 'Deathstroke'
- Toxik 'Dis morta' (!)
- Witchery 'Nightside'
- Ominum 'Monument'
- Mindforce 'New lords'

TRAD/SPEED/DOOM/POWER
- Friends of Hell s/t
- Satan 'Earth infernal'
- Tony Martin 'Thorns'
- Armory 'Mercurion'
- Tysondog 'Midnight'
- Maule s/t (!)

PUNK/GRIND/OTHERS
- Harrowed 'Poison death' (death/crust) split con Phantom Corporation 'Banner of hatred'
- Wormrot 'Hiss'
- Final Light s/t (!)
- Triac 'Pure joy'
- Crust 'Wanderers'
- Bastard 'Rotten blood'
- Candy 'Heaven is here'
- Wormrot 'Hiss'

Just curiosity - How many of these records can you hum or sing more than 3 riffs/melodies/parts from when promoted by just hearing the title of the album and artist name.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:04 pm 

Here's mine. I decided to go ahead early. December may surprise me, but usually all it does is make me overthink the list.

1- Moonlight Sorcery – Piercing Through the Frozen Eternity. This is my coup de foudre this year. It's an EP, but right after the intro, at the very first notes, I knew it was going to be special.
2- Behemoth – Opvs Contra Natvram - I know a lot of people are down on them but this album rocks. Huge step up from their latest.
3- Blind Guardian – The God Machine - This is IMO their best release in the last 20 years, not a dull moment.
4- Kreator – Hate Über Alles - Another controversial pick, I see a lot of Kreator fans don't like this one; I'm not usually a trash metal guy, and definitely not a Kreator fans by any means, but I can't stop listening to this one.
5- Stratovarius – Survive - The wait was worth it.
6- Ghost – Impera - Hey, they're one of my favorite bands, the album is fun and the songs are even better live.
7- Allegaeon – Damnum - Not my usual cup of tea but I liked this one.
8- Vorga – Disgust - This one was an early contender for no 1, but it kept being pushed back. Sorry Vorga, still 8th place isn't bad. It's just the right amount of melodic.
9- Asgrauw – Façade - Doesn't reinvent the wheel but it's an efficient BM album, reminiscent a bit of Taake
10- Sabaton – The War to End all Wars - I wasn't gonna include this one, but Spotify informed me yesterday that it's my most listened album of the year. It's not particularly original, but it does what you expect a Sabaton album to do - catchy power metal songs about war.

There are plenty of runner ups: Inexorum, Pure Wrath, Dreamtale were strong contenders. Bloody Hammer's album is OK, but it could have sneaked in thanks to two or three great songs.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:26 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
4- Kreator – Hate Über Alles - Another controversial pick, I see a lot of Kreator fans don't like this one; I'm not usually a trash metal guy, and definitely not a Kreator fans by any means, but I can't stop listening to this one.

Eh, I would definitely not say it's bad. I could quite easily listen to the whole thing in a sitting if someone put it on, but it's not an album I gravitate to. I find it passable, and it checks the boxes of how a Kreator album should sound, but it doesn't do much for me. But again, my favorite Kreator release has always been Pleasure To Kill, and none of their albums have ever come close to it for me.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:41 pm 

I've been spending the last few months listening to my entire power metal collection, so I can't even remember what was released this year! Gonna take some effort to come up with a list.

Black metal fans might want to hold off on their submissions, Misþyrming just announced a new album is two weeks away: https://misthyrming.bandcamp.com/album/me-hamri

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:03 pm 

I'm gonna start compiling my list in earnest next week but I have pretty good ideas of what will be included. It's definitely been a great year for new releases imo, I might end up with a top twenty-five!

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:09 pm 

I'm sure I will have

Megadeth
Blind Guardian
Darkthrone
Decapitated
Saor
Midnight

The rest not sure.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:11 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Victorius - Dinosaur Warfare 2

AND NOBODY TOLD ME?!

greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:40 pm 

In no particular order:

- Trhä - Vat gëlénva!!! - He put out like 4 records this year, but this is the best in my opinion, the songwriting sounds more focused. Guy needs to chill with that release schedule and do some self-editing.
- Negative Plane - The Pact... - I'm a sucker for first wave BM, great traditional heavy metal riffs and cool concept. I didn't have the time to listen to the Predatory Light record in full, but it sounds pretty similar to this. Probably would have made the cut to the top 10.
- Blut aus Nord - Disharmonium - Undreamable Abysses - Leave it to BaN to take one of the most clichéd heavy metal subjects and infuse it with sheer horror.
- Sigh - Shiki - Heavier than the last couple of records, better played, better produced but still keeping the eccentric wackiness that I love in this band. Mirai sounds better with age.
- Septic Flesh - Modern Primitive - They keep dumbing down their sound (the Nuclear Blast effect in full force), but somehow the songs are better and way more catchy than the ones in the last couple of records.
- Esoctrilihum - Saopth's - Better than Consecration, which was more brutal, but, personally, went in one ear and out the other. I'm biased towards this kind of 90s inspired symphonic BM. Just like the Trhä sadboi, guy needs to do some self-editing.
- Bekëth Nexëhmü - De evigas gravrit - Heavily atmospheric but slower and with a more decayed, depressive vibe than his usual material.
- Pharmacist - Flourishing Extremities on Unspoiled Mental Grounds - Like a proggy, Necroticism-era Carcass with some interesting melodic inflections.
- Sonja - Loud Arriver - Great guitar work and cool androgynous vocals. It's nice to see some queer representation in the genre other than Rob Halford, Gaahl and Cynic.
- Mico - Zigurat - This band is not in MA since this site still has a silly bias against some metalcore (even though fucking Lorna Shore is in the Archives) but anyway, this is a dissonant, sludgy blend of Converge and Ulcerate. Pretty heavy stuff, much in line with the "dissonant" stuff that's all the rage in the DM scene. If you liked the new Artificial Brain and Imperial Triumphant (those two records didn't made it to the top 10 for me, but were still pretty interesting), you should try this.

Last edited by greywanderer7 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:50 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Lagartija wrote:

2022 ALBUMS

BLACK METAL
- Vanum 'Legend' (!)
- Non est deus 'Impious'
- Véhémence 'Ordalies'
- Sumerian Tombs S/T
- Glemsel 'Forfader'
- Aethyrick 'Pilgrimage'
- Abhoria s/t
- Funerarium '1692'
- Horn 'Verzet' (!)
- Ash of Ashes 'Traces'
- Slaegt 'Goddess' (!)
- Olhava 'Reborn'
- Thrall 'Schisms'
- Bhleg 'Fäghring' (!)
- Mystic Circle s/t y
- Khold 'Svartsyn'
- Afsky 'I stilhed' (EP)
- Duir 'TSNRI'
- Entgeist 'Res gestae'
- Asterean 'Cosmorama'
- Grima 'Frostbitten'
- Mystic Circle s/t (!)
- Bâ'a 'Egrégore'
- Blackbraid 'I' (!)
- Lord Belial 'Rapture'
- Gaerea 'Mirage'
- Null 'Origin' (!) Etc
- Saor 'Origins'
- Belphegor 'The devils
- Ancst 'Zorn' (EP !)
- Firtan 'Marter'
- Gevurah 'Gehinnom' (!)
- Toadeater 'Bexadde'
- Bran 'Odchazeni'

DEATH METAL
- Epitaphe 'II'
- Scalpture 'Feldwärts'
- Dead Chasm (EP)
- Vulcano 'Stone orange'
- Sadist 'Firescorched'
- Krisiun 'Mortem solis'
- Massacre 'Mythos' (EP)
- Nihilo 'Resolution'
- Thorium 'Danmark' (!)
- Thyrargo 'Impulses'
- Deathbringer 'It'
- Origin 'Chaosmos' (!)
- Katakomba s/t
- Exhumed 'To the dead'

THRASH METAL
- Sphinx 'Deathstroke'
- Toxik 'Dis morta' (!)
- Witchery 'Nightside'
- Ominum 'Monument'
- Mindforce 'New lords'

TRAD/SPEED/DOOM/POWER
- Friends of Hell s/t
- Satan 'Earth infernal'
- Tony Martin 'Thorns'
- Armory 'Mercurion'
- Tysondog 'Midnight'
- Maule s/t (!)

PUNK/GRIND/OTHERS
- Wormrot 'Hiss'
- Final Light s/t (!)
- Triac 'Pure joy'
- Crust 'Wanderers'
- Bastard 'Rotten blood'
- Candy 'Heaven is here'
- Wormrot 'Hiss'

Just curiosity - How many of these records can you hum or sing more than 3 riffs/melodies/parts from when promoted by just hearing the title of the album and artist name.

Whenever I see massive lists like this I wonder the same. Seems like the musical equivalent to stamp collecting. You'll have a good amount of favorite stamps you remember details and history from, but further down the list it all just morphs into "blue stamp/red stamp". I like the dedication, but it ain't for me.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:54 pm 

I've yet to check the Tchornobog / Abyssal split and there's room for a surprise candidate in the last month but those notwithstanding, I got my top 10, not in order yet though:

Ares Kingdom - In Darkness at Last
Arizmenda - Spiders Lust in the Dungeon's Dust
Grand Belial's Key - Kohanic Charmers
Messa - Close
Mortal Incarnation / Bedsore - Split
Grenadier - Trumpets Blare in Blazing Glory
Negative Plane - The Pact...
Sigh - Shiki
Blut aus Nord - Disharmonium - Undreamable Abysses

Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:04 pm 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
I've yet to check the Tchornobog / Abyssal split and there's room for a surprise candidate in the last month but those notwithstanding, I got my top 10, not in order yet though:

Ares Kingdom - In Darkness at Last
Arizmenda - Spiders Lust in the Dungeon's Dust
Grand Belial's Key - Kohanic Charmers
Messa - Close
Mortal Incarnation / Bedsore - Split
Grenadier - Trumpets Blare in Blazing Glory
Negative Plane - The Pact...
Sigh - Shiki
Blut aus Nord - Disharmonium - Undreamable Abysses

oh, snap! 3 of those are in my top 10 as well. But patiently awaiting for new Misphyrming and Satanic Warmaster to drop that can create some havoc on my list, haha

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:18 pm 

My unranked shortlist, alphabetically:

Astronoid-Radiant Bloom
Blut Aus Nord-Disharmonium
The Chasm-The Scars Of A Lost Reflective Shadows
Devil Master-Ecstasies Of Never Ending Night
Devin Townsend-Lightwork
Dream Unending-Song Of Salvation
Falls Of Rauros-Keys To A Vanishing Future
Lorna Shore-Pain Remains
Meshuggah-Immutable
Nechochwen-Kanawha Black
Oceans Of Slumber-Starlight And Ash
Origin-Chaosmos
The Otolith-Folium Limina
Scarcity-Aveilut
Sentient Horror-Rites Of Gore
Watain-The Agony And Ecstasy Of Watian
Wiegedood-There Is Always Blood At The End Of The Road
Wormrot-Hiss
Obliteration

Last edited by FirebathDan on Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:46 pm 

Here is what stood out for me in no order:

Negative Plane: The Pact...(nothing changed much and I am just fine with it)
Immolation: Acts of God (my alltime fave DM band never disappoints)
DSO: The Long Defeat (I mean, it ain't Paracletus but I dig it more than the last two)
Grand Belial's Key: Kohanic Charmers ( A fantastic return to what they did on a first couple of albums)
Critical Defiance: No Life Forms ( I adore Chilean Thrash)
Ripped To Shreds: Jubian ( very unexpected surprise. Beats the Hell out of all their other records)
Esoctrilihum: Consecration of the Spiritüs Flesh (oof, this is hard hitting)
Ares Kingdom: In Darkness At Last ( didn't expect much but it is awesome!)
Autopsy: Morbidity Triumphant ( their best since Macabre Eternal imo)
Black Fucking Cancer: Procreate Inverse ( This is great Black/Death. If you're a fan of Katharsis, check it out)

Still waiting for new Misphyrming and Satanic Warmaster to drop before submitting my list

Last edited by Xytras71 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mornox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:50 pm 

I've got 12 albums in the running, so as usual, I'll probably hear most of this year's good stuff after seeing the actual top 100 next month.

Here's my candidates:

Abhor - Sex Sex Sex (Ceremonia Daemonis Antichristi)
Blut Aus Nord - Disharmonium (Undreamable Abysses)
Bran - Odcházení
Grima - Frostbitten
Kampfar – Til Klovers Takt
Marrasmieli - Martaiden Mailta
Mysteria Mystica Aeterna - The Temple of Eosphoros
Pestilent Hex - The Ashen Abhorrence
Spectrum Mortis - Bit Meseri - The Incantation
Véhémence - Ordalies
Vermilia - Ruska
Wampyrinacht - Night Of The Desecration: Les Jardins De Nyx

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:34 pm 

Mispyrming trying to throw a spanner in the works, just announcing their new one is coming out December 16

Do love a short announcement/release gap. No track premiere yet either, just "we're dropping this in two weeks".

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:31 pm 

ColdBecoming wrote:
Mispyrming trying to throw a spanner in the works, just announcing their new one is coming out December 16

Do love a short announcement/release gap. No track premiere yet either, just "we're dropping this in two weeks".

Well, fuck!

Algleymi was so good! Been wondering what they're up to since then.

Easiest top 10 in a while; my usual post-, dissonant, atmodeath and prog leanings. Cheers to BH, as always!

1. Ashenspire - Hostile Architecture
2. Malthusian & Suffering Hour - Time's Withering Shadow
3. Negative Plane - The Pact...
4. Messa - Close
5. Pyrithe - Monuments To Impermanence
6. Cult of Luna - The Long Road Home
7. Wake - Thought Form Descent
8. Cavernlight – As I Cast Ruin Upon the Lens That Reveals My Every Flaw
9. Immolation - Acts of God
10. Father Befouled - Crowned in Veneficum

I listed way too many honorable mentions in HeavenDuff's thread earlier this year and those still stand.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:32 pm 

This Hammers of Misfortune album is top 5-6 for sure - once I listen to it a few times I'll submit my list. This has been such a killer fucking year.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:17 pm 

This year is going to take some serious thought due to the overwhelming amount of quality albums released this year. I'll be very interested to see the final results.

Like your reviews?

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:40 am 

Won't be sending my list until at least December 22nd, the new Order Of Nosferat doesn't come out until the 21st. I predict my whole list will be rando.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:06 am 

jimbies wrote:

I see what you mean. Obviously it would take a loooong time to become properly familiar with even half of these, but just by glancing through the list I know what they all sound like and it's cool to have it as a reference when looking for something to listen to. It would also be impossible for me to buy so many records (I would definitely have given it a good shot a few years ago), but apart from the ones that make my top 10, I'll see which ones I go back to the most when it comes to planning purchases.
It's the first time I've done this and it's been fun discovering so much amazing music I would have totally missed otherwise :)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next