Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FrostOfTheBlack
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:02 am 

DecemberSoul wrote:
So who can name any song by Anvil where its title is NOT sung in the chorus/refrain?

March of the Crabs. Next question.

Btw I registered here 18 years ago and this is my first post!

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:30 am 

FrostOfTheBlack wrote:
DecemberSoul wrote:
So who can name any song by Anvil where its title is NOT sung in the chorus/refrain?

:thumbsup:

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:56 am 

FrostOfTheBlack wrote:
DecemberSoul wrote:

I'm glad I made you crawl out of your hiding hole just to post this.

But: It's an instrumental track, so you've successfully made clever use of my lack of a more specific description.

Alas, here we go to the next question for you: Is there any Anvil song with several lines of lyrics sung by the band in which the song's title is not uttered at all?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:59 pm 

I have a question for all the drummers/programmers here, or anyone who's knowledgeable on the subject; Do you think the drums on this album are programmed?

A reviewer on here said they are, but I'm honestly not sure. Haven't found any information online to confirm either way.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:30 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
I have a question for all the drummers/programmers here, or anyone who's knowledgeable on the subject; Do you think the drums on this album are programmed?

A reviewer on here said they are, but I'm honestly not sure. Haven't found any information online to confirm either way.

I'd say so. Either that or an e-kit. There's definitely something artificial about the way they sound. The sound is very homogenous, with very few organic fills, no ghost notes, cymbals sound weird... I'm no expert though, could be just a really poor mastering/recording work. They sound too processed and unnatural.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:37 pm 

Whenever I look at Graveland's page in the archives I get lost with so many re-recorded albums and so many versions, can someone tell me which are all the original main albums? Also, any advice on which ones to listen to? It's a band I want to give a chance

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:13 am 

Someone in the Band Appeals section wrote:
Would've been the very first band from Christmas Island on the site if this made it

Why do people fall for these bullshit meme bands? No chance in hell those poseurs are from Christmas Island. (This is not a personal attack on the person who wrote that, just airing my grievances on this phenomenon.)

wone21r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:24 am 

henkkjelle wrote:

I'm pretty confident those drums are programmed.
I say this based on both the sound, and the "playing".

The drums sound unnatural, which could be due to triggers/sound replacement, but the cymbals show the same effect. Every sound is identical with absolutely no dynamics, with each sound being identical (which isn't possible when fast notes are played together, such as snares, repetitive cymbal hits etc). The cymbals also just don't sound like real cymbals, and whilst drums can be produced in weird ways, cymbals are a different story. There are also examples of little fills being repeated bar after bar which then sound completely identical (this could be from copy/pasting though, but that's a whole different conversation).

As for the "playing"/programming, some of the transitions and fills sound like things that a drum player wouldn't do. Ending a fill with a cymbal hit on 4, but then starting the next measure with the same cymbal hit on 1. Transitions between snare on the beat and snare off the beat in ways that feel unnatural. Moving from an alternating (LRLR) fill straight into both hands hitting in unison. This suggests to me not just that the drums are programmed, but that they were likely programmed by someone that isn't a drummer.

I'm actually fascinated by drums from non-drumming minds, because they think in totally different ways. Drums programmed by a real drummer will still be written with the physical limitations of a real person, whereas non-drummers often don't include that - and that can actually make for some really creative choices.

So yeah, I think the drums are programmed, but that doesn't take away from the overall experience for me. And it's also possible that I'm wrong and they were played by a real person, but if that were the case, I'd say that there were some strange choices made in production.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:35 am 

Thanks for the great post! I've also noticed some of the things you mentioned like the fast consecutive snare hits sounding identical, but combined with your many other examples I'm also leaning towards them being programmed. Or, if they are real, the way they sound is part of the overall lo-fi amateur (not in a bad way) sound of the production. Probably not though. And I agree it doesn't take away from the overall experience - they fit the vibe of the music.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:12 pm 

There are a bunch of Opeth albums I enjoy but Damnation has been my favorite from the moment I heard it. If anything, any disappointment I have with the Heritage onward records is that I expected them to sound more like Damnation than they do. I think somewhere down the line I realized I was more of a Steven Wilson fan than I was an Opeth fan.

Also, after marathoning Anvil's entire discography this year (RIP my Spotify Wrapped), I can confirm every non-instrumental song they have either repeats the title as part of the chorus or just repeats the title over and over during the verses. That combined with their unchanging style makes for what just might be the most tedious discography out there.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:03 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Also, after marathoning Anvil's entire discography this year (RIP my Spotify Wrapped), I can confirm every non-instrumental song they have either repeats the title as part of the chorus or just repeats the title over and over during the verses. That combined with their unchanging style makes for what just might be the most tedious discography out there.

Thank you! I suspected as much and am happy to see some confirmation here.

CartoonKiller35
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:22 pm 

Sort of a random question here. Also a little new to metal and this site. I've been lostening to mostly thrash and other extreme metal genres recently. My question is about breakdowns. I've heard a fair amount of metalcore/deathcore and I know that they are primarily used in those genres, usually multiple times in a song. I know thrash/death metal also has breakdowns but they don't sound the same as the core ones. Also just for context I've been getting into a lot of bands labeled as "atmospheric black metal" (Eldamar,Elderwind,Paysage,Summoning etc.) and I came across Saor not too long ago. I'm a huge fan of the "Guardians" album, but I'm not going to gush about it here. I notice in this album there is pretty much 1 breakdown per song and they aren't too far off sounding from the grooves I hear in the -core ones. My question(s) is, is this a normal thing in atmo black or am I misundersanding what I'm hearing? And would this change the genre of the songs/albums if this were the case? I categorize my playlists by genre, hence my random question, and I'm looking to learn more about these types of things so I can correctly distinguish between types of riffs/breakdowns etc. and just learn more about metal in general. I like all types of music, and I want to gain a better understanding about these things. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:24 pm 

As a pretty big Anvil fan, I was expecting most of Worth The Weight to fit that criteria (because it's one of their strangest albums), but I looked up the lyrics on MA and it seems like the title is mentioned in the chorus of just about every song.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:56 pm 

Okay, I have a question. On the cover of the 1982 Black Sabbath live album Live Evil, we got the neon knight front and center. The angel and red devil must reference Heaven and Hell. The porky GI references War Pigs (duh). The dude in the strait jacket is for Paranoid. We got the whip laden guy in bedsheets to mean The Mob Rules. The black hooded figure and the bodybuilder in the rear presumably represent the song Black Sabbath and Iron Man respectively. The Goonies in the boat for Children of the Sea (another no brainer).

But what song does the shaman in the left rear represent?

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:19 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Okay, I have a question. On the cover of the 1982 Black Sabbath live album Live Evil, we got the neon knight front and center. The angel and red devil must reference Heaven and Hell. The porky GI references War Pigs (duh). The dude in the strait jacket is for Paranoid. We got the whip laden guy in bedsheets to mean The Mob Rules. The black hooded figure and the bodybuilder in the rear presumably represent the song Black Sabbath and Iron Man respectively. The Goonies in the boat for Children of the Sea (another no brainer).

But what song does the shaman in the left rear represent?

I'd say Voodoo?
Fire walk with me"

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:21 pm 

Not counting Iron Maiden, what metal band with the word "Iron" in it is your favorite?

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:41 pm 

CartoonKiller35 wrote:
Sort of a random question here. Also a little new to metal and this site. I've been lostening to mostly thrash and other extreme metal genres recently. My question is about breakdowns. I've heard a fair amount of metalcore/deathcore and I know that they are primarily used in those genres, usually multiple times in a song. I know thrash/death metal also has breakdowns but they don't sound the same as the core ones. Also just for context I've been getting into a lot of bands labeled as "atmospheric black metal" (Eldamar,Elderwind,Paysage,Summoning etc.) and I came across Saor not too long ago. I'm a huge fan of the "Guardians" album, but I'm not going to gush about it here. I notice in this album there is pretty much 1 breakdown per song and they aren't too far off sounding from the grooves I hear in the -core ones. My question(s) is, is this a normal thing in atmo black or am I misundersanding what I'm hearing? And would this change the genre of the songs/albums if this were the case? I categorize my playlists by genre, hence my random question, and I'm looking to learn more about these types of things so I can correctly distinguish between types of riffs/breakdowns etc. and just learn more about metal in general. I like all types of music, and I want to gain a better understanding about these things. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

I'm also a huge atmospheric black metal fan and I'm thinking you're confused about what you're hearing. Just for my clarity, could you link a song that you'd say has a breakdown in it from one of those bands? I've heard all the ones you included in your parentheses and I can't recall a breakdown in any of those groups' music.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:13 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
Not counting Iron Maiden, what metal band with the word "Iron" in it is your favorite?

Gotta be Ironsword. Unparalleled integrity and riffs.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:49 am 

Thexhumed wrote:

Iron Savior, but that's the only one I can really think of.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:00 am 

Ironcross. Good, old heavy metal.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:01 pm 

Iron Man is my top pick but Iron Void and Throne of Iron are up there as well.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:25 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:

Iron Savior
Iron Angel
Iron Fire

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:36 pm 

Any thoughts on this?: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ma ... 3540449883

If you ask me, this shit is on FIRE. /hj

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:10 pm 

Nocturnal_Evil wrote:
King_of_Arnor wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:

Iron Savior
Iron Angel
Iron Fire

Iron Kingdom and Iron Reagan also have some good moments. Also if the band name being one word is ok, then Ironflame is really good, and Ironchrist is fairly mediocre.

I'd still pick Iron Savior as the clear winner.

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:23 pm 

Iron Monkey is another one. I’m not sure if I ever got around to them (only casually interested in the style), but they seem to be a well thought of band from the old days of sludge.

Someone asked about Graveland earlier. The only album of theirs I’ve enjoyed is Carpathian Wolves - their first full-length, so it predates the later epic/viking style. I never got into the later stuff. (Thankfully. I always feel dirty listening to NSBM, even though I more-or-less limit it to the classics and the non-overtly NS.)

Also, is anyone else hearing all the Moonblood demos/rehearsals for the first time, now that they’re being reissued on CD/LP? Apart from the odd individual track, I’ve yet to really connect with any of them on the same level as the two full-lengths (especially Blut & Krieg), but I think that’s largely because there have been so many of them released in rapid succession. Anyway, what would be an especially good one (or two...) to spend some more time with?

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:43 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:

Iron Void for me.
Fire walk with me"

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:20 am 

How do we feel about ambience samples? Nature sounds and stuff like that.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:31 pm 

Why is the Manowar song called The Power of THY Sword, while the lyric in said song is "They will know the power of MY sword" and the phrase "thy sword" is nowhere to be found?

Footless wrote:
Any thoughts on this?: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ma ... 3540449883

If you ask me, this shit is on FIRE. /hj

From their 2009 Promo EP:

"I'm a Fucking Lion (Noised and Grinded as Hell) (Nobuo Uematsu cover)"

If someone can tell me what Nobuo Uematso song this is a cover of I would be eternally grateful.

Nocturnal_Evil wrote:
How do we feel about ambience samples? Nature sounds and stuff like that.

Hate it. Especially when it's really unnecessarily long. There is a song by Arkona (The popular one from Russia) that near the end of it's long duration there is like TWO FUCKING SOLID MINUTES of birds chirping and water rushing, with NO vocals and NO music. The worst part is it's near the end but it's not the very end, eventually some pretty nifty flutes come in that makes me just suffer through the boredom instead of skipping to the next track.

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:40 pm 

How many posts do I need to make before I get the title "Metalhead"?

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:15 pm 

Also, this is certainly random, albeit not a question, but I just noticed that today is the 18th anniversary of Dimebag Darrell's murder.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:21 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Why is the Manowar song called The Power of THY Sword, while the lyric in said song is "They will know the power of MY sword" and the phrase "thy sword" is nowhere to be found?

Because they're not very smart and they thought "thy" sounded ancient and cool. Do you have any other easy questions like this one?

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:33 pm 

Footless wrote:

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:50 pm 

kazhard wrote:
Footless wrote:

Thank you, I had been wondering.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:02 pm 

Has the pandemic have any effect on your music collecting habits?

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:40 pm 

I'd say so. In the very earliest stages I refrained from ordering much of anything online, except groceries. Then, once it became clear that it wasn't particularly unsafe to receive packages, I became an avid online shopper once again - in general my media consumption throughout the day was going up, for obvious reasons, and I'd occasionally have bouts of excessive, irresponsible spending.

Now things are slowing way down. It began to dawn on me that I was buying stuff too often to properly appreciate what I already had. So, I'd say I've gotten most of my splurging out of my system (and have mostly run out of space for it anyway).

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:41 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
Has the pandemic have any effect on your music collecting habits?

It has created that habit for me, as well as my interest in metal music as a whole.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:34 pm 

Does anyone know why there are so many different tracklists for Annihilator's King of the Kill? I was listening to the album today and went to the MA page and noticed that the first entry on MA is different from my copy (which mirrors this version). I know there's an extra track here but they also reshuffled the order.

Then I picked a random modern version and saw this version is different from the other two.

It turns out my copy is actually the Japanese version, but it seems strange there are so many versions.

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:27 am 

Is Tool hated by the metal community? It seems that way with most metal-adjacent, but not quite metal bands/projects. My mom always loved it, so I can look back as far as I can remember and tracks from Ænima have been playing in the background of my childhood. Woke up this morning, and decided to listen to the album again. It’s so good.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:53 am 

Why would you think Tool is hated by the metal community? They're arguably the most popular band in the history of their genre. They just don't have a page here because the standards of the site are notoriously strict and Tool falls too far on the prog/rock side as opposed to the prog metal one by those notoriously strict standards.

I mean, I don't really care for Tool and I think their superfans are some of the most insufferable superfans in existence but I'm definitely in the minority on that :lol:
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:33 pm 

I think a lot of those metal adjacent bands are actually quite popular among metalheads if anything.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 33  Next