Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:13 pm 

According to Charlie, anyone that doesn't approve of what they're doing is disrespecting the memory of the Abbott brothers: https://www.revolvermag.com/music/charl ... and-vinnie

In_Zane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:24 pm 

Yeah, well, Charlie clearly has no integrity and just wants phat moneh. Condering that Vinnie was 100% against the reunion thing, as it could never happen without Dimebag, and he considered it disrespectful to say ''Just get Zakk to play guitar''.

So fuck you, Denante.
Phobia!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:33 pm 

So the Abbott brothers have officially reached the nebulous status of the Founding Fathers or the Will of God where invoking them can basically just mean whatever the fuck you want it to at a given moment. Thanks for that, very cool.

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:38 pm 

At this point I just want a reissue of their 80s albums

In_Zane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:44 pm 

Ivan Drago wrote:

Yasss, pls.

I want ''I Am the Night'' and ''Power Metal'' so bad!
Phobia!

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:44 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
So the Abbott brothers have officially reached the nebulous status of the Founding Fathers or the Will of God where invoking them can basically just mean whatever the fuck you want it to at a given moment. Thanks for that, very cool.

LOLOL :beer:

Benante's a filthy snake. He wants to make a Pantera album too, claiming "he's got plenty of riffs." I never thought a member of Anthrax could be worse that Ian, but I've been wrong before. At this point Anthrax may as well break up. Whoever was still taking them seriously in current year isn't going to anymore.

Ivan Drago wrote:

Why not? Everyone and their mother knows it at this point. This "reunion" is about dollars, might as well go all the way. I'd pick up Power Metal for sure.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:05 pm 

Ivan Drago wrote:

What 80s albums?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:16 pm 

Ivan Drago wrote:

Power Metal is the only one that has even a remote chance of being reissued since its the only 80s one with Phil.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:17 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:

Benante's a filthy snake. He wants to make a Pantera album too, claiming "he's got plenty of riffs."

Who's got plenty of riffs? Zakk?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:23 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Ivan Drago wrote:

Power Metal is the only one that has even a remote chance of being reissued since its the only 80s one with Phil.

There is no chance. Pantera's bread and butter is their toxic masculine aesthetic. Even Phil's hungry wallet won't allow monetization of his makeup and hairspray years.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:39 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:

Benante's a filthy snake. He wants to make a Pantera album too, claiming "he's got plenty of riffs."

https://www.loudersound.com/news/charlie-benante-on-recording-new-pantera-material-you-never-know-ive-got-tons-of-riffs?utm_content=classic-rock&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=twitter.com

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:45 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
KaiKasparek wrote:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/charlie-benante-on-recording-new-pantera-material-you-never-know-ive-got-tons-of-riffs?utm_content=classic-rock&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=twitter.com

So Anthrax and "Pantera" drummer Charlie Benante, wants to write (and play?) new guitar parts for a hypothetical new "Pantera" album, the band would of course be featuring Zakk, as Charlie can't play both the guitar and drums at the same time live, because apparently the longest tenured Ozzy guitarist/Black Label Society lead guitarist/lead vocalist/"Pantera" guitarist Zakk Wylde doesn't have enough riffs for a new "Pantera" album. What the fuck.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:53 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Ivan Drago wrote:

What 80s albums?

Pantera tries not to whitewash their 80s glam metal albums challenge (impossible)

~Guest 1730521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:05 pm 

Zakk never had riffs. His ultra-clean rhythm playing masked the fact that his riffs were never that interesting. He was a (ridiculously tight) shredder, that's about it.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:09 pm 

Spiral Architect 2 wrote:
Zakk never had riffs. His ultra-clean rhythm playing masked the fact that his riffs were never that interesting. He was a (ridiculously tight) shredder, that's about it.

How are we so sure Benante has any more?

Forever Underground
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:36 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Ivan Drago wrote:

What 80s albums?

It's funny that they deny the existence of the best album they ever made (Power Metal).

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in really, really hating arson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:14 pm 

A tribute/cover band is whatever, but if they’re going to lie to themselves, about the brothers giving their approval to such a thing, and actually call it “Pantera,” they should at least make it entertaining.

They want to play the album songs, out of the PA? What they should do is, finish a song, then Phil Anselmo says “smoke break,” and an album song starts playing. Phil produces aluminum foil and a straw, or dents a beer can, and punches a hole in the bottom of the depression, or a pizzo, or a lightbulb. Any one of those things, and then, he and the other three should smoke a bowl of heroin, shards, or rock cocaine. And the crowd will yell, “getcha hit brother!” Then, more alcohol consumption.

Eventually, when Phil is sitting or lying down, or has nodded off, or is mumbling tough guy shit into the mic, Terry Glaze can come up, and they perform “ride my rocket.” Which can be introduced as “I want five minutes alone, for a different reason.”

Then, they can have state representatives come up on stage, and invoke the Abbott brothers, like Twisted Psychology says, and give speeches against legalizing cannabis, while the band kills their livers, and smokes hard drugs.

And Texas hippie coalition can open for them, because it’s already not good, so let’s make it funnier. That would be sick.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:24 pm 

At least Gene Simmons is more honest about this kind of thing. I'm fairly sure he once said he wanted KISS to continue on into the future with new members eventually replacing all the original ones but playing the same onstage characters. KISS's schtick and angle in the entertainment business is theatrical enough to make this actually work because you're really seeing the show first and foremost regardless of the actual performers. Kind of like a Broadway musical approach to rock.

But trying to do the same thing with Pantera? Er.....

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:39 pm 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
At least Gene Simmons is more honest about this kind of thing. I'm fairly sure he once said he wanted KISS to continue on into the future with new members eventually replacing all the original ones but playing the same onstage characters. KISS's schtick and angle in the entertainment business is theatrical enough to make this actually work because you're really seeing the show first and foremost regardless of the actual performers. Kind of like a Broadway musical approach to rock.

Not that I like Gene Simmons. The guy is an S-tier piece of shit. But if the other members of KISS actually consented to this, then it wouldn't really be an issue, and I could understand the appeal, although I really don't care much for that sort of stuff. But what's going on with pseudo Pantera is plain disrespectful to the Abbott brothers. Vinnie clearly said Pantera should not reform without his brother.

Sacksuppenpuppenkucken
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:30 pm 

Awesome for those that get to see them

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:28 am 

This so awesome having Pantera and Metallica threads going at the same time. It's like all my Christmases have come at once.
Charlie is a fuckin great musician and songwriter, I'm intrigued to hear what these 4 can come up with, if they ever do decide to record.
Maybe they should record under the name Panthrax (or Pantrax) tho.

Living_Ruins
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:25 am 

I've never been against people having a good time and not harming the others in any way, so I thought that was great that they wanted to commemorate the Abbots playing Pantera tunes. But if they even consider writing anything new under Pantera's name, then this is a travesty. Is it that hard to form a new band if you want to play Pantera-like riffs so much? Let the Pantera name rest along with the brothers, who formed this thing, just out of respect to their authenticity, wish and time

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:28 am 

KaiKasparek wrote:

So Anthrax and "Pantera" drummer Charlie Benante, wants to write (and play?) new guitar parts for a hypothetical new "Pantera" album, the band would of course be featuring Zakk, as Charlie can't play both the guitar and drums at the same time live, because apparently the longest tenured Ozzy guitarist/Black Label Society lead guitarist/lead vocalist/"Pantera" guitarist Zakk Wylde doesn't have enough riffs for a new "Pantera" album. What the fuck.

Do you seriously not know that Charlie writes the music for Anthrax (Scott writes the lyrics)? Because he does.

What a stupid statement. Zakk always had riffs. Or at least he did between 1988 and 2006.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:21 am 

"ZaKk NeVeR HaD RiFfS"

No Rest for the Wicked and No More Tears are full of great riffs.

Also, this "reunion" is disgraceful to everyone involved (some people are just blinded to that fact by greed currently), and even as a fan, I can't say I'd ever go see this shitshow. It's like with Dio or any beloved dead musician: remember them and continue to enjoy their music, but on some level you gotta let them die and move on. This shit is no different than a "hologram show", and equally as embarrassing.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:17 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:

Not that I like Gene Simmons. The guy is an S-tier piece of shit. But if the other members of KISS actually consented to this, then it wouldn't really be an issue, and I could understand the appeal, although I really don't care much for that sort of stuff. But what's going on with pseudo Pantera is plain disrespectful to the Abbott brothers. Vinnie clearly said Pantera should not reform without his brother.

This dirtbag just wants a KISS check coming in still even when he's not doing the work anymore.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

~Guest 1730521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:22 pm 

You guys call those riffs? Fair enough :lol:

Ace_Rimmer
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:08 pm 

Ozzy up to NMT had a lot of great guitar parts and there are BLS songs that rip. But overall Zakk is very hit or miss.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:12 pm 

Zakk Wylde has\had about as much riffs as Jon Schaffer.
Fire walk with me"

~Guest 1730521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:45 pm 

I'm a fan of Zakk but I've never heard one of his riffs and went damn, that's nasty. Not even once. His first 3 albums with Ozzy, his solo albums, the first 2 BLS records; all good stuff.

People were discussing KISS earlier, they have some truly nasty riffs in the songs:

Kutulu
Tzeentchian Rubric Manipulator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:39 pm 

Nocturnal_Evil wrote:
"ZaKk NeVeR HaD RiFfS"

No Rest for the Wicked and No More Tears are full of great riffs.

NMT is Ozzy's best album and last good one, if you ask me. And I don't mind Zakk, some of the early BLS stuff is pretty good.

But wasn't NMT written primarily by Lemmy?

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:36 am 

Lemmy wrote lyrics for four songs.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:31 am 

People were discussing KISS earlier, they have some truly nasty riffs in the songs:

Indeed. They're an easy band to mock, but they have a ton of cool riffs (Watchin You, Unholy, Calling Dr Love, Parasite, a ton more).

Sonic Death
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:28 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
According to Charlie, anyone that doesn't approve of what they're doing is disrespecting the memory of the Abbott brothers: https://www.revolvermag.com/music/charl ... and-vinnie

Perhaps this asshole should be told that what he and others participators in this shameful circus are doing is disrespecting the memory of the Abbott Brothers in the worst possible way, denigrating everything they did and created all those years and the influence they had, this
disgraceful greedy karaoke band really have no integrity or honesty, just take the damn cash and run, because damned naive metal kids will be fooled into buying anything and everything. This is a joke and not an overly funny one at that, although I have nothing against ex-members playing together and creating something, but on the other hand again this is really unnecessary, at least they don't have to abuse Pantera's name if nothing else, a little respect for everything that was done wouldn't be bad

ZarathustraHead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:02 pm 

Sonic Death wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

Perhaps this asshole should be told that what he and others participating in this shameful circus are doing is disrespecting the memory of the Abbott Brothers in the worst possible way, denigrating everything they did and created all those years and the influence they had, this
disgraceful greedy karaoke band really have no integrity or honesty, just take the damn cash and run, because damned naive metal kids will be fooled into buying anything and everything. This is a joke and not an overly funny one at that, although I have nothing against ex-members playing together and creating something, again this is really unnecessary, at least they don't have to abuse Pantera's name if nothing else, a little respect for everything that was done wouldn't be bad

O my!!

I can see you are standing on the highest of moral grounds as you deliver Fake Pantera its well deserved keyboard lashing!!

Me?

I'm just a ruckus chaser and a ruckus brangser. In the footage of Fake Pantera, I do see the ruckus, I do. The ruckus done right.

So.

I'll be opening my wallet wide for a Fake Pantera headlining tour. And I'll be throwin' elbows before the greats.

My name is ZarathustraHead, and my metal is about the ruckus done brought.

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
What do you expect me to do? You expect me to just... let manosphere dwellers be?

Sonic Death
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:08 pm 

ZarathustraHead wrote:
Sonic Death wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

Perhaps this asshole should be told that what he and others participating in this shameful circus are doing is disrespecting the memory of the Abbott Brothers in the worst possible way, denigrating everything they did and created all those years and the influence they had, this
disgraceful greedy karaoke band really have no integrity or honesty, just take the damn cash and run, because damned naive metal kids will be fooled into buying anything and everything. This is a joke and not an overly funny one at that, although I have nothing against ex-members playing together and creating something, again this is really unnecessary, at least they don't have to abuse Pantera's name if nothing else, a little respect for everything that was done wouldn't be bad

O my!!

I can see you are standing on the highest of moral grounds as you deliver Fake Pantera its well deserved keyboard lashing!!

Me?

I'm just a ruckus chaser and a ruckus brangser. In the footage of Fake Pantera, I do see the ruckus, I do. The ruckus done right.

So.

I'll be opening my wallet wide for a Fake Pantera headlining tour. And I'll be throwin' elbows before the greats.

Good for you, you must be proud of yourself, I have no doubt about that

ZarathustraHead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:27 pm 

Sonic Death wrote:
ZarathustraHead wrote:
Sonic Death wrote:

O my!!

Me?

So.

Good for you, you must be proud of yourself, I have no doubt about that

I do admit to taking great pride in brangsin' the full metal power ruckus. Full Anselmo flex style.

In the pit they call me, "the Original Ballerman." Also known as, "the O.B." ("O.B." stands for "Original Ballerman" as just stated to the left.)

And with good reason.

I'll see you and all our ruckus brangsin' brothers down in it, risking blood and bone for the enduring legend of the Kid, Mr. Phillip H. Anselmo. (with those other badass mother fuckers in the pocket on bass, drums, and heavy guit holdin' it down tight)

My name is ZarathustraHead, and my metal is stronger than steel.

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
What do you expect me to do? You expect me to just... let manosphere dwellers be?

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:04 pm 

Dang it, am I gonna have to change my signature again?? The material just keeps popping up.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:32 am 

narsilianshard wrote:

Trouble with Benante is he has been living in his own world way too long. And as long as Anthrax and this Pantreunion pay his bills, he won't change. Why would he?
He also made 'being nerdy' a trademark to hide behind as it makes it easier for him to put aside any critic as being a bully. He often gets away with it because Ian creates way more collateral damage than he does. Yes, this is coming from an Anthrax 'fan' (well, their 1984-1993 run mostly)

Charlie is also a master at rewriting history and his POV is 'truth'. Anyone else remember his 2004 claims about doing most/all guitar solo's on Spitz era albums? Well, Spitz was not amused. https://blabbermouth.net/news/former-anthrax-guitarist-dan-spitz-slams-charlie-benante-over-guitar-solo-claims

Charlie's (and Ian's) mancrush on Pantera is no secret. It is even exhausting. (But I admit "In The End" was a brilliant song)
And now Charlie can reenact his mancrush and no one is allowed to say anything bad about it!
You bullies hahaha

asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:04 am 

As long as we don't get any reprisals of Scott Ian guesting on A New Level a la 1997.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:43 am 

The guy above flexing his insecure muscles is an example of the probable factor to the immense popularity of Pantera: it is metal that jocks can listen to.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next