Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:39 am 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
Another Iron Maiden thread and here I forgot my obligatory mention of the song "Gangland". It's a legitimately kickass track with some of Bruce's most unhinged vocals. I think the only reason it's considered filler or (wrongly) even considered one of Maiden's worst songs all out is because it's weighed against such titans like "22 Acacia Avenue", "Hallowed Be Thy Name" and the title track of the same album. If you want an actual bad track from NotB, look no further than "Invaders" ; blech...

Number of the Beast is a Beast. A f*ckin' dragon. T-Rex.
Rejoin my soul with thine

Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:54 am 

Everyone keep asking me what is The Galloping Bass sound of Steve Harris.

-
Where Eagles Dare (3:53 - 3:54)

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:49 am 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
If you want an actual bad track from NotB, look no further than "Invaders" ; blech...

The only bad song on TNotB is Run to the Hills. All the others are either good or fantastic.

Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:13 am 

Killers was referenced quite a lot here. Listening now to Purgatory. A fast tune.

j_bentley12885
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:52 am 

Eternal Unity wrote:
Killers was referenced quite a lot here. Listening now to Purgatory. A fast tune.

Check out "Murders in the Rue Morgue" if you haven't already.

Last edited by j_bentley12885 on Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:31 pm 

Eternal Unity wrote:

One of the band's best ever songs, IMO.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:51 pm 

Eternal Unity wrote:
Luvers wrote:
1) Only one song is permitted to be over 7 minutes and none should ever be longer than 9.
- Why not?
Because IRON MAIDEN FUCKING SUCKS AT WRITING LONG SONGS. Being progressive is not 11 minutes with 11 interchangeable noodling solos,a tired singer who sounds like he would rather have his balls in a vice than sing over such boring melodies and a MEDIOCRE chorus repeated enough times that you wish to bash your skull in with a ballpoint hammer. Iron Maiden is NOT progressive metal, THIS is progressive metal.
Eternal Unity wrote:
Luvers wrote:
2) Only half of the songs are permitted to have a galloping riff.
- That's signature Harris. Won't happen.
And yet I am wrong in saying the band refuses to change even the slightest hint of their sound? Thanks for confirming it.
Eternal Unity wrote:
Luvers wrote:
3) McBrain must take a crash course on imaginative drumming. Perhaps sit him down with a Neil Peart or Simon Philips drum clinic.
- Neil Peart is dead. But, good idea!
You never heard of previously recorded videos? I have a drum clinic for both of those two percussion extraordinaries and their lessons strengthened my playing immensely.
Eternal Unity wrote:
Luvers wrote:
4) There must be at least 2 songs (for every 5) that is so stylistically different from the norm that it forces Maiden fans to embrace DIVERSITY.
- Agreed.
Just once they should take the route like Sabbath, Priest or Motorhead did. Contain songs that routinely depart from what everyone expects. Add to their repertoire and embrace eclecticism, until then they will just be boring and mind-numbingly dull.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:02 pm 

The first couple albums had songs like "Remember Tomorrow" and "Prodigal Son" which were slower, arguably mellower, yet really, really great songs. That's what I would think of as "Stylisticly different from the norm." Diverse and interesting, yet still within what would be defined as Iron Maiden's sound.

Yes, most of their long songs are, well, a bit too long, and the "eleven interchangable noodling solos" is a good way to summarize it. It's also partly why I never got into "Seventh Son" very much, because most of that entire album sounds like endless noodling solos to me.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:20 pm 

Eternal Unity wrote:
It is known that Powerslave contains 4 Epics & 4 mediocre songs.

When I read this, I thought this person needs help. So I've booked you into the nearest hearing clinic.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:22 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Metal_Jaw wrote:
If you want an actual bad track from NotB, look no further than "Invaders" ; blech...

The only bad song on TNotB is Run to the Hills. All the others are either good or fantastic.

OW! I burned myself on that hot take.

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:01 pm 

Run to the Hills isnt a bad song, but its so overplayed I could happily never hear it again

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:11 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Eternal Unity wrote:

When I read this, I thought this person needs help. So I've booked you into the nearest hearing clinic.

I will die on the hill that Back in the Village is insanely underrated, and Flash of the Blade + even Losfer Words are great too. The Duelists is the only weak song on that album.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:57 pm 

It's interesting that my least and most favourite albums of their 80s run were done back to back (Piece of Mind < Powerslave).

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:27 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
MetlaNZ wrote:
Eternal Unity wrote:

I will die on the hill that Back in the Village is insanely underrated, and Flash of the Blade + even Losfer Words are great too. The Duelists is the only weak song on that album.

Duelists is among the weaker songs on that album, but still slays. Great tune.

j_bentley12885
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:07 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I will die on the hill that Back in the Village is insanely underrated

Yes it is. Awesome Powerslave song. So is Losfer Words.

I don't care how over played it is Aces High is a great opening song. Especially live with the Churchill speech.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:34 pm 

A good thing to do with all these over played songs (Aces High, Run to the Hills, etc.) is not to listen to them for months and then come back to them; I did with The Trooper and when I listened to it again I realized how good of a song it is.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:16 pm 

Opinions innit. Don’t judge:

Iron Maiden
Killers
NOTB
7th Son
FOTD
SiT
Powerslave
X-Factor
BNW
DOD
Piece
Virtual
FF
AMOLAD
Senjutsu
BOS

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:27 pm 

Their last four albums are their most interesting stuff since Seventh Son by quite a big margin (to me anyway). Quite divisive among many. I think they will be reassessed by the larger fanbase eventually.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:52 pm 

My favorite band at one time, is still in the running but honestly the last great album I think they put out was in 1988 so...

Favorite Maiden album - Piece of Mind...or TNOTB.

Favorite Song - Revelations...or maybe one of about a dozen others.

Favorite piece of Maiden memorabilia/stuff. Maybe some of my vinyl singles from the BNW stuff. I don't have a lot of Maiden merch outside of nearly all their albums. I gave away my XL sized 2000 tour shirt when I put on weight and now that I lost it I wish I had it back or it would be #1.

Strong opinions - The "epics/Progressive" stuff since the reunion is only repetitive and drawn out. There are moments I go "yeah" only to have that ran into the ground or surrounded by a few minutes of crap.

Kevin Shirley is an awful producer and the albums sound flat.

Rank 'em! *best track

Great albums
1. Piece of Mind - 95% *Revelations
2. The Number of the Beast - 95% *Hallowed Be Thy Name
3. Powerslave - 90% *Powerslave
4. Killers - 85% *Another Life
5. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - 85% *The Evil that Men Do

Good albums
6. Iron Maiden - 80% *Phantom of the Opera
7. Fear of the Dark - 70% *Be Quick or be Dead

okay albums.
8. Brave New World - 65% *The Fallen Angel
9. No Prayer For The Dying - 65% *No Prayer For the Dying
10. A Matter of Life and Death - 60% *The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
11. The X-Factor - 60% *Lord of the Flies
12. Somewhere In Time - 55% *Wasted Years

Meh...no thanks. (This stuff puts me to sleep)
13. Dance of Death - 45% *New Frontier
14. Virtual XI - 30% *Futureal
15. The Final Frontier - 30% *Coming Home
16. The Book of Souls - 25% *When the River Runs Deep
17. Senjutsu - 20% *The Writing on the Wall played at 1.25 speed on YouTube

Live albums aplenty but I haven't bought them all. Especially the later ones based on reunion tours.

Dustroy_Troly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:07 pm 

Random thoughts and opinions on Maiden inspired by this thread:

Back in the Village has their worst chorus. It's nails on chalkboard for me and makes me want to puncture my eardrums. The rest of the song is probably fine. I don't really remember.

If it weren't for BitW, Powerslave would be in contention for the best Maiden album along with the debut and Piece of Mind. Those two are pretty much perfect. Quest for Fire is their most over-hated song, and for totally absurd reasons.

Somewhere in Time is my least favorite 80s Maiden album. It simply doesn't connect with me outside of a couple of songs. Alexander the Great leaves me totally cold. The songs are starting to feel overlong, even if they're not that much longer than they were before.

The new stuff is mostly good, if obviously overlong. Empire of the Clouds is one of their best songs though, and the best one that's over 10 minutes. The albums as a whole have a bunch of filler, so they can't compete with the 80s material, but they can still write great songs, especially on the first 3 2000s albums.

Fear of the Dark and especially No Prayer are both good albums. I like No Prayer better than SiT, possibly even 7th Son.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:47 pm 

Dustroy_Troly wrote:
Empire of the Clouds is one of their best songs...

Agreed. It's among my top-fifteen Maiden tunes.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:01 pm 

Over the years I actually got to pick up more of their records. It's kind of late in my metal journey that I actually got into their Di'Anno era albums, and holy shit did I love these records! There's no doubt that Dickinson's name rhymes with Maiden now, and that his legacy is way more important than Di'Anno's but still, these records are flawless in my opinion, and I love the punk elements in there.

Brave New World being the most recent album they had released when I was a teenager, and being a fan of science fiction dystopias, I really enjoyed it a lot. I still do, although I don't revisit it as often as I used to.

Another album I picked up very late is Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, and damn does it slay too.

It's crazy just how much quality music these guys released in their career! So much so that I still discovered stuff I had never heard by them, only a few years ago.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:03 pm 

My dream setlist:

Genghis Khan
Invaders
Prowler
Killers
Infinite Dreams
Sun & Steel
Flash Of The Blade
The Duellists
Judas Be My Guide
No Prayer For The Dying
Purgatory
Sea Of Madness
The Prophecy
Run Silent Run Deep
Charlotte The Harlot
22 Acacia Avenue
Hooks In You
To Tame A Land
Be Quick Or Be Dead
The Prisoner
Back In The Village
Deja-Vu
Still Life
Where Eagles Dare
Caught Somewhere In Time
Only The Good Die Young

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:43 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
There's no doubt that Dickinson's name rhymes with Maiden now

There is actually considerable doubt over this. :P

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:48 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
There's no doubt that Dickinson's name rhymes with Maiden now

There is actually considerable doubt over this. :P

I'm pretty sure that Dickinson's legacy and impact on metal with Iron Maiden is something that most people recognize. There's always a vocal minority going around trying to argue that Di'Anno or Bailey were waaaaaaaaaay better then him, but they are exactl that, a vocal minority.

And I'm saying that as a big fan of Di'Anno era Iron Maiden. It has nothing to do with personnal appreciation. Dickinson's legacy and impact on metal, and music in general is undeniably greater then the impact of Di'Anno and Bailey.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:15 am 

What's your guys' favorite Maiden album for Steve's bass playing/tone? I might argue The X Factor is his best performance as he explores more variety in his playing than normal. Lots of cool atmospheric bits and he gets really upfront with more power chords and stuff, but tone-wise there's something hard to beat about the debut, especially on a tune like Charlotte the Harlot or the s/t song.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:39 am 

One of the bands that got me into metal music to begin with, and still has a fucking ridiculously good track record when compared to a lot of similarly huge bands.

Album ranking + Strong opinions and things:

Spoiler: show
1. Somewhere in Time
2. Seventh Son

Perfect albums, completely fucking life-affirming and incredible in every way. Legit some of the best pacing and best hooks in all of metal, both in individual songs and on a song-by-song basis.

3. Piece of Mind

Their grittiest album from that period, and I'd say the most consistently great one aside from the two mentioned above. This is usually where I go for DEM RIFFS, every song is just so energetic and dynamic,. holy hell yes.

4. Number of the Beast

Best vocals of any Maiden album. It's been mentioned by others before, but I love how raw and ferocious Dickinson sounds here on top of all that vocal technique, like there's a lot of moments where he just howls like a goddamn maniac. Also Hallowed Be Thy Name is, in fact, completely fucking brilliant in every way just like y'all say it is.

5. Fear Of The Dark

Hookiest and most diverse one they've done since the 80's era. Seems to get unfairly slammed a lot, there's a lot of real emotional weight to the songs that you don't usually hear from these guys. Bonus points for having their one legit speed metal song (absolutely smokes BTW).

6. Powerslave

The marginally less good one. First two + title track are really, really good. Everything in the middle is just more sort of okayish, Rime is absolutely their weakest epic track from that period (comparing to Phantom, Hallowed, To Tame A Land, Alexander the Great, title track of Seventh Son), too much buildup for no real payoff. Admittedly, I'm probably just spoiled by all of the really good stuff. I like that they went for a lot of more aggressive tempos here, but Piece of Mind is closer to that sound by its production anyway.

BTW, Fates Warning's Epitaph kicks the shit out of every other 10+ minute metal song ever written. Change my mind.

7-8. Iron Maiden, Killers

I don't listen to them that much nowadays and there's not much that stands out about them next to the other stuff, but they're still just really solid and fun. Certainly better than the rest of them.

9. Brave New World

The only post-reunion one that I'd genuinely take for a full listen, mostly because it just goes for a lot of that Piece of Mind/Powerslave swagger, very vibrant atmosphere and meaty riffs. Some songs you can still hear Harris writing like a tired old man, but there's a lot of really cool shit here that they've never done before or since. Ghost of the Navigator is a top 5 all time Maiden song, fight me.

10. No Prayer for the Dying

You can definitely hear that they don't really know what to do here, but even running on fumes this still has enough energy and attitude that you can just turn your brain off and go "yeah this some good stuff". Admittedly I only remember like the first two and Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter and that's it but at least I'm not bored.

11. Dance of Death

Brave New World Part II, basically. Same style, lower hit-to-miss ratio, but at least they still manage to hook you good every once in a while. Rainmaker is really good, yeah.

12. X Factor

Hot take of hot takes: I actually think Bayley is good for what he's doing here specifically. I recognize that he tends to be objectively inferior to Dickinson, but for the mood here he is far more fitting, as will be seen later. You can tell Harris went really heavy-handed on this, the songs here are very emotionally charged. The good moments of this (The Aftermath, Blood on the World's Hands) are the bleakest stuff Maiden's ever written, and Bayley's voice adds so much weight to all of these songs that they still leave a lasting impression even when the riffs and the pacing is really bad.

Unfortunately yeah, this is where Harris jumped off a fucking cliff in both ego and pacing. This is where he got all the bullshit that post-reunion albums get slammed for, repetitive arrangements, weak riffage, 10+ minute songs for no good reason, all those things. Sign Of The Cross sucks, Fortunes Of War is actually physically painful, all the rest is just really middling because none of the guitar parts do anything.

13. The Final Frontier

Barely gets a pass for the first half, because someone had the sense to staple Harris to a hospital bed and but a bunch of well-paced normal songs up front. They're also the hookiest they've written in a long while, and there's a lot more sexy leads and choruses here to sink your teeth into. Then for the second half, I guess The Man That Would Be King is cool but the others have only bits and pieces that are good.

14. AMOLAD

X Factor Part II: The Nothening. Clearly tries to go for the same mood, but has none of the emotional weight, and Dickinson gives his least good vocal performance next to No Prayer For The Dying. Only one song here is actually good as a whole package (The Legacy), the others are a bunch of overlong slush vaguely held together by bits and pieces of actually good stuff.

15-16. Book Of Souls, Senjutsu

Haven't listened to them in full yet, actively dreading the eventual occasion because THREE DOUBLE-DIGIT SONGS BACK TO BACK FUCK THAT SHIT. The shorter ones seem okay though.

17. Virtual XI

This is the only one that I can say is completely irredeemable in every way. Literally a nothing album, I listened to it twice and remember literally nothing good. Kill it with napalm.

Favorite songs (no particular best/worst order):

Children of the Damned
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Where Eagles Dare
Die With Your Boots On
To Tame A Land
Aces High
2 Minutes To Midnight
Wasted Years
Sea Of Madness
Infinite Dreams
The Clairvoyant
Be Quick Or Be Dead
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
Fear Of The Dark
Ghost Of The Navigator
Rainmaker
... stop laying the blame on me alone, as next time I see you calling out my name in public just to vent your frustration, as if I were some sort of second coming of Stalin, I might stop being so polite and I might even tell you where to put your Philosophy degree.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:21 am 

I remember playing SSOASS regularly back in the day, Evil That Men Do is still an all time classic IMO.

This thread may make me do some more listening.

FontaL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:31 am 

Visiting their discography in the last two years for the first time I was attracted by the bass lines, the solos and the time it takes to reach the climax. In my younger years like 15/16 I knew some classic 80s Maiden tracks but was never drawn to listening to the full albums. I preferred listening to thrash metal and related, and when it comes to the "lighter" albums from these bands, I always preferred a Youthanasia, The Killing Kind, or any Nordland over Piece of Mind or Killers when I barely tried.

Ranking / * Best song
1. Somewhere In Time * The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
2. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son * Infinite Dreams
Listening to these two albums for the first time, I had a hard time digesting the others believing they had the same vibe as these two.

3. Powerslave * Rime of the Ancient Mariner
4. Piece of Mind * Revelations
5. Killers * Prodigal Son
6. The Number of the Beast * Hallowed By Thy Name
7. Iron Maiden * Transylvania
8. The Book of Souls * The Red And The Black
9. Dance of Death * New Frontier
10. Senjutsu * Death of the Celts
11. The X Factor * Sign of the Cross
12. Brave New World * The Nomad
13. A Matter of Life and Death * Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
14. The Final Frontier * The Talisman
15. Fear of the Dark * Fear of the Dark
16. Virtual XI * The Clansman
17. No Prayer For The Dying * No Prayer For The Dying

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:56 am 

Metallic Shock wrote:
What's your guys' favorite Maiden album for Steve's bass playing/tone? I might argue The X Factor is his best performance as he explores more variety in his playing than normal. Lots of cool atmospheric bits and he gets really upfront with more power chords and stuff, but tone-wise there's something hard to beat about the debut, especially on a tune like Charlotte the Harlot or the s/t song.

Some albums his bass tones on later albums was a bit clanky, lacking a better term. SSOASS for example.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:04 pm 

FontaL wrote:

Brave New World * The Nomad
No Prayer For The Dying * No Prayer For The Dying

Absolutely agree with these two choices!

DemonFilth2001
Had a one night stand with Phil Anselmo and never got a call back

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:49 pm 

Two of my favorite tunes that seem to be universally hated are...Quest for Fire and Sun and Steel. Any love for these two killer tracks?

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:04 pm 

Eternal Unity wrote:
Metal_Jaw wrote:
Another Iron Maiden thread and here I forgot my obligatory mention of the song "Gangland". It's a legitimately kickass track with some of Bruce's most unhinged vocals. I think the only reason it's considered filler or (wrongly) even considered one of Maiden's worst songs all out is because it's weighed against such titans like "22 Acacia Avenue", "Hallowed Be Thy Name" and the title track of the same album. If you want an actual bad track from NotB, look no further than "Invaders" ; blech...

Number of the Beast is a Beast. A f*ckin' dragon. T-Rex.

Best 80's album of theirs no question (probably their best ever, actually). This might be heresy, but if you want filler, look at Piece of Mind.

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:44 pm 

One of the best bands ever. I have a ton of their live bootlegs on CD and vinyl because the studio stuff isn't even close to enough to whet my appetite.
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:02 pm 

Metallic Shock wrote:

Killers by a country mile; it probably has his most pronounced low end. The X Factor features some of his most tasteless playing and has an awful tone for the most part - I don't hate the album, but the production is dire.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:14 pm 

DemonFilth2001 wrote:
Two of my favorite tunes that seem to be universally hated are...Quest for Fire and Sun and Steel. Any love for these two killer tracks?

Love them both. Quest for Fire has a great solo section. I've had part of it (Dave's bit I think, before the chorus comes back in) stuck in my mind for years.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:30 am 

HighwayCorsair wrote:
One of the best bands ever. I have a ton of their live bootlegs on CD and vinyl because the studio stuff isn't even close to enough to whet my appetite.

Same here. I own more Maiden boots than I can count. (CD, no vinyl.)

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:35 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
HighwayCorsair wrote:

Same here. I own more Maiden boots than I can count. (CD, no vinyl.)

Count me in. You need to check on these releases, studio quality, totally recommended https://www.discogs.com/release/2432994 ... ive-On-Air

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:11 pm 

So apparently Maiden got nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year. I doubt the band is too fussed over whether they'll get in or not, but it's recognition all the same I guess.

https://metalinjection.net/news/iron-maiden-rage-against-the-machine-soundgarden-nominated-for-rock-hall-class-of-2023

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:23 pm 

Dennis Stratton is in, but Blaze Bayley isn't? Fuck that shit...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next