* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:13 am 

https://www.loudersound.com/news/ozzy-osbourne-has-retired-from-touring

Quote:
This is probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to share with my loyal fans. As you may all know, four years ago, this month, I had a major accident, where I damaged my spine. I have now come to the realisation that I'm not physically capable of doing my upcoming European/UK tour dates, as I know I couldn't deal with the travel required

Sad, but not unexpected news.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:38 am 

Yeah, not a surprise. I've thought for a while now that his scheduled tour wouldn't go ahead, and I know I wasn't the only one. I'm sad I'll probably never see a solo show of his, but this is no doubt for the best.

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:32 am 

About time really, I've had tickets for his Dublin show for about five years now thats been constantly rescheduled, it's been obvious for a long time he was never going back out

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:04 am 

It's for the better, even though it inevitably leaves a void in his life. Time and life have caught up. Will always love Ozzy even if I don't care for his latter day albums.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:34 am 

It is indeed sad. I attended Ozzy gigs in the late 80s through the early 00s and it was always a great show.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:47 am 

Understandable, though it sucks that I couldn't get the chance to see him perform live :(

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:58 am 

I caught the last two Sabbath tours before they disbanded. Ozzy barely moved on stage and it looked like he was using a teleprompter. His voice was still fantastic though.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:12 am 

At his age and with the state of his health these days this was inevitable. I'm sure Ozzy is disappointed to call an end to his touring career but he has to do what's best for himself.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:21 am 

I've seen Ozzy where he was "meh" and Ozzy where I was like "HOLY SHIT". Would have been nice to see one more show and sad to see him go out but time waits for no man.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:25 am 

Terri23 wrote:
I caught the last two Sabbath tours before they disbanded. Ozzy barely moved on stage and it looked like he was using a teleprompter. His voice was still fantastic though.

Pretty sure he'd been using the teleprompter since the late '90s / early '00s (maybe even before that). You can see it on the Live at Budokan (2002) show for example.

Last edited by lordcatfish on Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:27 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
I've seen Ozzy where he was "meh" and Ozzy where I was like "HOLY SHIT". Would have been nice to see one more show and sad to see him go out but time waits for no man.

Indeed.
I reluctantly attended a gig in 1989, when he was touring "No Rest For the Wicked".
I was blown away but how 'on point' he and the band were. My expectations were low (not sure why) but i left with a newfound respect for Ozzy and band. Up that point, it was definitely one of the best shows I'd seen.

As an aside, White Lion opened and were also surprisingly good. Much heavier than expected.

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:16 am 

Necessary

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:44 am 

Last edited by CoffeeCat on Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:47 am 

As cynical as I've been about his status in recent years, I can't help but feel bad for him having to make this announcement. From the whole statement, you can tell that it's tearing him up.

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:01 pm 

It was inevitable and it was time. Not too shattered about it but it's certainly the end of an era and it's time to blast some Ozzy to celebrate his extensive career.
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:21 pm 

I heard this news earlier today and my reaction was similar; it was sad but inevitable.
Ozzy was a huge part of my formative metal years. Heck, those first couple solo albums he did are what got me into metal in the first place! I was too young to have seen him play during the Randy Rhodes years, but I saw him in the late 1980s and man, what a show! He probably singlehandedly contributed more to metal over his long life span than any other artist. Like NFL quarterback Tom Brady (who also announced his retirement today) Ozzy could be considered the greatest metal musician of all time.

You could just tell it was time. I remember seeing him on a show he did with Sharon and his son Jack, "Osbournes want to believe" where Jack would air footage of weird allegedly paranormal events and Ozzy and Sharon would decide if it was legit or not. He didn't look so good. Rather, he looked like time, alcohol/drug abuse and years of hard living had finally caught up to him. I couldn't realistically see him performing in front of a crowd, at least on a big, week-long tour, in that condition. It's time to let him retire and earn some needed rest, and as fans, he loves us all..... and we all love him.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:40 pm 

Good. He doesnt have much left anyway. Thank you Ozzy for everything

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:04 pm 

I saw Black Sabbath live in 2014. Very good show, although the playlist was mostly predictable. They did play "Under the Sun", though, which I did not expect.

Either way, it sounds like his retirement from touring is for the best.

I would not be surprised if he does maybe a "one off" show at a festival or something, but never another full scale tour.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:09 pm 

This kinda stuff is just going to start happening more and more often. He was one of those guys who it's amazing he kept at it as long as he did. Don't really like his new albums but eh. Definitely a big legacy behind him. Been a while since I really played any of his solo era classics.

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:49 pm 

It was expected. He need to rest now, for his health.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:46 pm 

The man's earned his rest, I'd say. He's got one hell of a legacy behind him - tons of classic songs and records, being part of a band that created a whole new genre of music... obviously he wants to keep going, which is understandable, but he also doesn't have anything to prove at this point.

He'll still keep making music, which is fine. Even if his last few records were duds, he's obviously just doing it because he loves it and wants to collaborate with other musicians - nothing wrong with that. Hopefully he can do the odd 1-off show as well rather than a whole tour which would understandably take it's toll.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:46 pm 

Sad, but he's earned it. Long live the Prince of Darkness!

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:04 am 

It's not surprising he's finally retiring.

I was blessed to see him playing with the original Black Sabbath in 2005 at Ozzfest (one of my favorite shows) and again at his solo show in 2007.
While I wasn't crazy for his solo stuff, his Black Sabbath albums (first five) are albums I will forever treasure.

GuitarGuyNack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:27 am 

As others have said, this is sad but expected.

I stopped paying attention to his albums after Down to Earth, but I still love his older stuff, the Randy Rhoads albums in particular.

Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:04 am 

Ozzy,
If you're reading this, I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for more than five decades of wonderful, inspiring and artistic vocal career. Your music with Black Sabbath and later on as a solo performer got me through a very tough time 12 years ago.

I wish for you to feel better soon and I pray for your full recovery.

Yours truly,
Greg.
Rejoin my soul with thine

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:16 am 

Age and illness has finally caught up with Ozzy. Ever since I can remember he has been touting that he would stop touring. I remember back in the early '90s, he even had a 'No More Tours' tour. I wish him all the health during his reduced activity.

Bloody Nine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:57 am 

A sad but inevitable truth that so many of our legends are reaching an age where they just can't anymore. Best wishes for him going forward.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:50 am 

More and more of the older generation of bands will start retiring from touring in the years to come. The fact that Priest and Maiden are still going strong is something I don't take for granted, who knows how many more years they can keep it up? All of the old thrash metal bands are getting up there in years too, many of the members are reaching their 60s. It's inevitable that age and the general wear and tear of touring will eventually catch up to them.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:23 pm 

Ozzy was at a medical center in LA a few hours after his announcement, hopefully this is just a routine checkup and nothing serious.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/ozzy-osbourne-seen-in-public-for-first-time-since-announcing-retirement-from-touring

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:50 pm 

I'm glad I managed to see him live 3 times, first with Black Sabbath in 1999, then solo in like 2001-2002. While sad, it was only a question of time. But he earned it.
Fire walk with me"

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:45 pm 

I can't remember if I was fully aware of the insanity of some of his injuries. Feeling very lucky to have seen him 3 times with Sabbath (2013/2013/2016) and once solo (2008).

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:14 am 

Sad to see him bowing out. Stoked to have seen him solo in '98 for The Ozzman Cometh tour. He had cleaned himself up, got fit and healthy and put on a fucking amazing show. That was pre fucking TV clown show, so eternally fucking grateful for that. Also got to see Black Sabbath in 2013 and 2016, which was bucketlist stuff.

Edit: Had to add a couple of "fuckings" in there in honor of the great man!

Reply to topic