* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:55 am 

wone21r wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:
Any tips for best demo of death metal bands?

Robotiq can help me?

Cruciamentum - Convocation of Crawling Chaos

Some of the best death metal ever released.

Yes I know them

They have impressed me more than other names
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

wone21r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:30 am 

Lee Harrison wrote:
Yes I know them

For death metal demos, you may also enjoy the 2009 Aethryvorous demo.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:21 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:
wone21r wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:

Robotiq can help me?

Cruciamentum - Convocation of Crawling Chaos

Some of the best death metal ever released.

Yes I know them

For more modern DM, I believe both of Perilaxe Occlusion's releases are classified as demo. They're some of the best produced examples I can think of from the past few years.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:56 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:
Put Watain and Deathspell Omega in the same sentence with Borgir is blasphemy….

Beyond taste…

Yeah I mean, Dimmu Borgir at least made some solid albums, unlike Deathspell Omega

:oh shit:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:35 pm 

markhebb wrote:
The weakest track is probably Rock N Roll Angel- which has late period Dio solo stamped all over it.

This I agree with. I put the album on from the beginning and enjoying it, and then Rock and Roll Angel and Turn of the Screw stop the album dead for me.

Some time I should really try listening to the album from the beginning but immediately skipping these two tracks. See how much that improves the experience for me.

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:15 am 

Lee Harrison wrote:

Robotiq can help me?

Cryptopsy's Ungentle Exhumation is fantastic.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:48 am 

I can't stand Rock N Roll Angel song for the sake of me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:07 am 

"Rock and Roll Angel" is a great tune. One of my favorites on that album really.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:30 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:

Beyond taste…

Yeah I mean, Dimmu Borgir at least made some solid albums, unlike Deathspell Omega

Yep, I’ll happily take Enthrone Darkness Triumphant over anything by DsO.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:55 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:

Beyond taste…

Ubi maior minor cessat
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:33 pm 

I don’t get the love for Dopesmoker, it’s long and it goes nowhere, there’s nothing catchy about it. I kept giving it chances because Holy Mountain and The Sciences kick ass, but there’s no way around it, it’s shit. Perhaps it’s not meant to be listened to sober? I’ve done every drug under the sun, and there’s no trip I can imagine that wouldn’t be ruined by this long-ass monument to boredom.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:46 pm 

coupdebleus wrote:
I don’t get the love for Dopesmoker, it’s long and it goes nowhere, there’s nothing catchy about it. I kept giving it chances because Holy Mountain and The Sciences kick ass, but there’s no way around it, it’s shit. Perhaps it’s not meant to be listened to sober? I’ve done every drug under the sun, and there’s no trip I can imagine that wouldn’t be ruined by this long-ass monument to boredom.

THANK you.

I don't smoke pot, but my friend does and he tried listening to the album high and thought it was really boring.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:52 pm 

coupdebleus wrote:

It goes all the way to Nazareth to meet the Weedians, than all the way back to kick you ass, and back to Nazareth again, and it's a killer track. Also, you don't write these to be catchy. You want catchy, you listen to shorter tracks with hooks and choruses, not an hour long epic.

Holy Mountain does kick ass though, I'll give you that. But they are not meant to be listened to the same way.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:55 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:

Beyond taste…

Yep, I’ll happily take Enthrone Darkness Triumphant over anything by DsO.

Big same.

You know it was funny when people last year were going "AAAAH! THE NEW DEATHSPELL OMEGA ALBUM ISN'T THAT GOOD!" and I wanted to chime in and go "AAAAH! NEITHER ARE THEIR OTHER ALBUMS!"

It's actually kind of wild considering that I enjoy other dissonant black metal bands that allegedly take influence from the band, but DSO themselves just do absolutely nothing for me.

Metalion_SOS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:48 am 

This is probably more a weird opinion than unpopular but I seriously want to hear a legitimate classically-trained castrato singer in a metal band. It would be all sorts of creepy and unique. Imagine the hype!

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:58 am 

You gotta pay the iron price for that sound, buddy. It was inhumane then, it's even more so now. There's a reason why castrati are nonexistent today.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:04 am 

MawBTS wrote:
Quote:
Most Thrash Metal bands play boring, generic, unimaginative and just plain lame music.

Also, more than a few classic thrash albums would be derided as pizza thrash if released today.

Give us some examples so we can get this fight started.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:46 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
coupdebleus wrote:

THANK you.

I don't smoke pot, but my friend does and he tried listening to the album high and thought it was really boring.

Yep, someone wake me when it’s over, please.

kovner1972
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:55 am 

Metalion_SOS wrote:
This is probably more a weird opinion than unpopular but I seriously want to hear a legitimate classically-trained castrato singer in a metal band. It would be all sorts of creepy and unique. Imagine the hype!

One of those abominations is more than enough; he's called King Diamond, and he's one too many.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:56 am 

kovner1972 wrote:
Metalion_SOS wrote:

One of those abominations is more than enough; he's called King Diamond, and he's one too many.

King Diamond rules

kovner1972
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:38 am 

draconiondevil wrote:
kovner1972 wrote:
Metalion_SOS wrote:

King Diamond rules

Can't fucking stand him.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:23 pm 

Right. Because how dare anyone sing that high in such a ballsy genre as metal??

The man made mighty records with Mercyful Fate and his own band. Your lack of taste is your own fault.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:54 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Right. Because how dare anyone sing that high in such a ballsy genre as metal??

The man made mighty records with Mercyful Fate and his own band. Your lack of taste is your own fault.

Rob Halford sings pretty high too, but has a very different voice. Don't get me wrong, I like the King too, but I can see why some people can't stand his voice. I'd say it's an acquired taste, which IMO makes it all the more impressive that his music has such a wide appeal (obviously it's because the rest of the band - both MF and KD - fucking rule too)

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:47 am 

Never understood how king diamond was an acquired taste it just seems like one of those things where if you're into 80s classic metal you're gonna have a field day with his first 6 or so records, they're just so definitive

I'd say he's probably one of the overall most talented guys in the entire genre tbh

Perhaps.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:59 am 

I think the schism comes from the fact that King Diamond's high vocals aren't throaty--they're heady. If you're not used to hearing those kinds of vocals, they can take a little while to adjust to.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:13 am 

Makes sense I've just always found him more ridiculously melodic than anything

Perhaps.

yung_souichi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:48 am 

Thy Shrine wrote:
Never understood how king diamond was an acquired taste it just seems like one of those things where if you're into 80s classic metal you're gonna have a field day with his first 6 or so records, they're just so definitive

I'd say he's probably one of the overall most talented guys in the entire genre tbh

Getting into extreme metal before more 'normal' heavy metal stuff will do that to ya, Mercyful Fate only just recently clicked for me.

Miss Amerikkka? Only parasites will

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:11 am 

I always preferred Mercyful Fate over King Diamond anyway. His vocals in MF is more tolerable to me. Every time I try to listen to his solo albums I seriously bust out laughing when he starts to sing. Talented singer yes but his vocals are a bit hard for me to take seriously to enjoy.

yung_souichi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:14 am 

I have never listened to King Diamond tbh. Maybe I have just psyoped myself into liking Melissa because I like thrash falsettos.

Anyway, here's a take: current crop of newer hardcore bands (Scalp, Candy, Harm's Way ect) are way heavier than a lot of extreme metal bands around nowadays and even some of the classic death metal stuff.

Miss Amerikkka? Only parasites will

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:02 am 

Total respect for King Diamond but his vocals do sound ridiculous and goofy.

VaderCrush
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:18 am 

King Diamond as a band works almost entirely because of how silly he sounds (and, ok, because of the riffs but that's beside the point!!!!) If literally anyone else was delivering those ridiculous concept album lyrics he does it would be too absurd to tolerate, but all these stupid ghost stories are getting wailed at you by what sounds like a cartoon character and that just makes it click.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:01 am 

VaderCrush wrote:
King Diamond as a band works almost entirely because of how silly he sounds (and, ok, because of the riffs but that's beside the point!!!!) If literally anyone else was delivering those ridiculous concept album lyrics he does it would be too absurd to tolerate, but all these stupid ghost stories are getting wailed at you by what sounds like a cartoon character and that just makes it click.

Agree nobody else really has the talent to pull it off like king can, I almost suspend my disbelief cuz the music is just pulled off that well

Perhaps.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:22 am 

I mean I guess King Diamond is silly, but I doubt he or anyone else is really trying to hide that. It's camp in the old classic way. Certainly better than the wave of "lol ironic" garbage like what Chris Bowes does...

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:40 am 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Rob Halford sings pretty high too, but has a very different voice.

This, pretty much. King Diamond doesn't even sing all that terribly high, he just sings with a really weak voice.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:45 am 

I think John Arch has more of a weak voice on those Fates Warning albums than king diamond does if we're talking singers that people could go either way on, I think the theatrical thing really works for how bombastic an album like Conspiracy is or The Eye, I wouldn't want anyone else singing on those albums

Actually I'll correct that and say Manilla road guy instead of John Arch, tho he's pretty good every once in a while like on the song crystal logic, but he really does have a wimpy nerdy ass voice in general

Perhaps.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:37 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Rob Halford sings pretty high too, but has a very different voice.

This, pretty much. King Diamond doesn't even sing all that terribly high, he just sings with a really weak voice.

Even as someone who doesn't really like the timbre of King's voice, I have to ask: what the fuck? Not that high and weak?

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:44 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Even as someone who doesn't really like the timbre of King's voice, I have to ask: what the fuck? Not that high and weak?

That's what progressive hearing loss does to you (and I'm not even a fan).

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:09 pm 

Look at this one : '' DSO has never made a good album.'' I don’t know what drugs you guys are on but I suggest you stop taking them.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:15 pm 

Don't know about 'never' but Synarchy of Molten Bones sure was a wretched excuse of an album. Just terrible.

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:18 pm 

I won’t deny that their later albums are terrible crap, but Si Monumentum and Fas are masterpieces of black metal. I can understand not liking them but saying they’ve never made a solid album is just bad faith.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 221  Next