Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:36 am 

For me personally, right this moment, off the top of my head:

Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal to the Flesh
Darkthrone - Soulside Journey
Chaos Echœs - Mouvement

And indeed, it changes. Well, except for FFF. That will always be the death metal album for me.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:40 am 

Mine would probably be:

Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
Death - Leprosy
Hail of Bullets - Of Frost and War (surely to be an unpopular pick but I absolutely love every minute of it)

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:42 am 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Does James Hetfield still drink, or does he not? There’s a Metallica branded bourbon, and a rye whiskey. I thought he didn’t want his lifestyle to determine his deathstyle? Do they just laugh at people buying it(one of my friends drank it, and said it was okay quality larger brand liquor), while drinking their non-alcoholic water backstage?

Obviously, they like money. But I wonder why they don’t just sell overpriced “Metallica” non-alcoholic drinks instead.

I think Hetfield is the only one who doesn't drink at all. Anyway, deciding not to drink alchohol doesn't necessarly come with a disdain and contempt for those who do. Deciding to stop drinking because you were once addicted and because it's self-destructive for you personnally, doesn't mean you think that other people who drink are stupid.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:55 am 

Footless wrote:
What is your holy trinity of death metal albums? Mine would probably be...

Blood Incantation - Hidden History of the Human Race
Cryptopsy - None So Vile

It changes from time to time.

It's a tough question to answer, considering the fact that death metal is my favorite subgenre of metal!

But hey, let's give this a try.

Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos... Slaves to Darkness
Bolt Thrower - ...For Victory
Bolt Thrower - Warmaster

Alright alright alright. I'll try to diversify a little, but to be fair, these are the top 3 most listened albums on my last.fm over the last 5 years, not even kidding, haha!

So here goes:

Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos... Slaves to Darkness
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness

But ask me in a month and I might replace HHotHR with Carcass - Necroticism: Descanting the Insalibrious.

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:09 pm 

I'll try to pick off the top of my head, and without repeating bands.

Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness (easy)
Death - Human
Cryptopsy - None So Vile

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:29 pm 

For me:

Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall
Dismember - Like An Everflowing Stream

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:50 pm 

Defenestrated wrote:
I'll try to pick off the top of my head, and without repeating bands.

Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness (easy)
Death - Human
Cryptopsy - None So Vile

My man!

AoM is a monstrous record! The more you listen to it, the more you notice just how much it brought to the genre, how innovative it is and just how influential it is.

Human is also one of my favorite death metal records of all time. It's up there with the other records I listed as one of my favorites, not only of the genre, but of music in general.

None So Vile is my the first death metal album I ever bought. I bought it based only on what people online were saying about it, and I was completely overwhelmed. I hated it and was disapointed that I spent money on it. But I kept coming back to it, because I wanted to understand the praise, but also because I felt drawn to it, even though I couldn't grasp everything that was going on. And it eventually clicked, and when it did I was so glab I picked it up and kept coming back to it. It's a phenomenal album. Brutal, technical and completely out there at the time.

koolaidprodigy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:58 pm 

This is really hard to pick just three but I will give it a try.

Death - Leprosy
Entombed - Left Hand Path

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:56 pm 

I think it goes to show how important Altars of Madness is to the evolution of death metal when we all picked it as one of our three albums. Definitely a milestone in the establishment of death metal as a subgenre unto itself.

aceharding
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:42 pm 

Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal To The Flesh. I believe by 98 the band was out to prove something, or at least, Trey was. IIRC he wrote the entire album himself which wasn't the case previously. I think it shows, musically and lyrically. They were a band reborn with Steve on vocals. The supporting tour was insane. The footage out there of MA shows circa 98-01 really prove how unreal they were. On a completely different level to even their peers. Death metal wasn't the shiny cool thing by the late 90's and MA said fuck your trends. Altars of Madness is an eternal classic, but FFF is the perfect storm. It's fast, heavy and even catchy. It doesn't get better than this.

Demilich - Nespithe. Blew my mind and still does.

Cannibal Corpse - Tomb Of The Mutilated

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:25 pm 

My picks:

Death - Leprosy
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick

I'm in that minority that prefers Blessed just a bit more than Altars.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:28 pm 

Not a single mention of Consuming Impulse or cause of death yet? Those two literally flatten the entirety of the rest of the genre in just how fucking amazing they are

Perhaps.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:56 pm 

Rodman wrote:
Do HammerFall have a single good song post-Legacy of Kings?

After that one, HammerFall average about two tracks from each album which make the cut for me. "Legion" (after skipping the stupid intro) happens to be one of those. Crushing tune!

The (un)Holy Trinity:

Vader - Litany
Analepsy - Atrocities from Beyond

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:42 pm 

Thy Shrine wrote:
Not a single mention of Consuming Impulse

It did cross my mind for the no. 3 spot!

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:47 pm 

A very difficult answer, as I can think of many options I'm going to stick with the 3 albums that for the longest time I've kept as my favourite of the genre, being these:

Vital Remains - Forever Underground
Entombed- Left Hand Path
Carcass - Necroticism

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:04 pm 

Ghoul - Maniaxe
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos

It was hard to narrow it down to three. I feel bad for leaving out Demilich, Exhumed, Cryptopsy or Deceased...
Fire walk with me"

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:34 pm 

On the topic of classic death metal, what do the aficionados of the genre think of Serpents of Light - particularly in the context of Deicide's discography?

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:58 pm 

Death - Human
Immolation - Here in After
Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance

Human I've loved since I was a teen, the other two are more recent additions.

Rodman wrote:
On the topic of classic death metal, what do the aficionados of the genre think of Serpents of Light - particularly in the context of Deicide's discography?

Honestly it's the only Deicide album I've really spent much time listening to, as brutal as Legion is I prefer the hooks of SotL. Great cover art, too.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:21 am 

Footless wrote:
What is your holy trinity of death metal albums?

Tiamat - Sumerian cry
Necrophobic - The nocturnal silence
Incantation - Onward to Golgotha

I culled these from my personal "top ten of the best death metal albums of all time"-list, yet narrowing it down to these three records was rather unpleasant.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:53 pm 

Death metal is something I've been meaning to evaluate more, but I'll go with:

Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All
Coffins - The Other Side of Blasphemy
Vader - Litany

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:08 am 

I don't know how anyone can narrow it down to three albums but I'll go with my gut and say:

1. Death - Leprosy (Always No.1 on any DM list)
2. Carcass - Necrotism
3. Entombed - Clandestine

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:47 am 

I loved "Leprosy" but I have always, slightly, preferred the raw unbridled brutality of the first album. Though "Leprosy" is close.
Early Morbid Angel is the best, and always will be a classic. Though I still enjoy the Trey Azagthoth wah wah pedal freakout solos on the subsequent albums.
I dunno though, for old school death metal- gotta go with the second Deicide album here. That was their best I think.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:30 am 

What are some of your favorite non-Swedish style Swedish DM albums? I'm thinking of albums like Seance - Saltrubbed Eyes, Gorement - The Ending Quest, Afflicted - Prodigal Sun, Crypt of Kerberos - World of Myths etc. that strays away from your standard HM-2 Swedeath sound.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:59 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
What are some of your favorite non-Swedish style Swedish DM albums? I'm thinking of albums like Seance - Saltrubbed Eyes, Gorement - The Ending Quest, Afflicted - Prodigal Sun, Crypt of Kerberos - World of Myths etc. that strays away from your standard HM-2 Swedeath sound.

Funny enough I just had said something about Pan thy monium for having one of my favorite albums in the whole swedish scene

Crypt of Kerberos is pretty cool too actually

Perhaps.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:31 am 

Footless wrote:

Cryptopsy - None So Vile

Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Pestilence- Consuming Impulse
Portal - Outre

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:22 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Does James Hetfield still drink, or does he not? There’s a Metallica branded bourbon, and a rye whiskey. I thought he didn’t want his lifestyle to determine his deathstyle? Do they just laugh at people buying it(one of my friends drank it, and said it was okay quality larger brand liquor), while drinking their non-alcoholic water backstage?

Obviously, they like money. But I wonder why they don’t just sell overpriced “Metallica” non-alcoholic drinks instead.

I think Hetfield is the only one who doesn't drink at all. Anyway, deciding not to drink alchohol doesn't necessarly come with a disdain and contempt for those who do. Deciding to stop drinking because you were once addicted and because it's self-destructive for you personnally, doesn't mean you think that other people who drink are stupid.

Yeah that's true, but being an alcoholic myself(admittedly one who hasn't stopped yet) I'd feel way too much risk selling the shit, its why I couldn't be a drug dealer either, I'd end up doing the shit, so I guess more power to him for being able to compartmentalize like that but yeah I wouldn't be able to have that level of self control, and it's weird about thinking people that drink are dumb, cuz even though I drink I fully admit alcohol is the absolute dumbest of any other drug out there lol I've hit the crack pipe before and that doesn't even lower your inhibition the same way alcohol does, There's this special type of irrationality among alcoholics I've noticed just being around fellow users, they're all the dumbest fucking people on the planet most of the time, and I'm no exception lol

In regards to death metal, am I the only one who thinks New Jersey and New York shit is just by far one of the best hot spots for death metal, obviously im talking about back in the day but I've always felt Florida gets all the attention or the big 3 out of NY so not a lot of people are ever hyping up revenant or human remains which is a shame cuz they're both two of my favorites

Perhaps.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:06 am 

I wish I was a professional figure skater, ballroom dancer, or some other performer just so I can play metal at the big screen. Symphonic/power metal especially is known for being very theatrical, and I thought it'd fit well with the vibe.

Example (though it would've worked much better if it was Kamelot or Sonata Arctica):
Spoiler: show

Also, do you guys know of any broadway musicals with metal songs? So far I know of this dark rock opera Repo! The Genetic Opera starring Alexa Penavega, and that one iconic rock n roll song from Once Upon A Time (which isn't exactly metal, but still good):

Spoiler: show

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:11 pm 

Can't think of any metal musicals off the top of my head. The closest I think Broadway has ever gotten in Rock of Ages which is more of a homage to 1980s glam rock/metal.

Dee Snider did release a cover album of Broadway hits before though.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:24 pm 

What would you say are the bands that sound most similar to the Bathory´s viking era?

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:53 pm 

Forever Underground wrote:
What would you say are the bands that sound most similar to the Bathory´s viking era?

Mayhemic Truth's cleans were an amazing emulation of Quorthon's singing. Recommended.

Metalion_SOS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:06 am 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
Also, do you guys know of any broadway musicals with metal songs?

There have been several productions of Jesus Christ Metalstar; here's a random one:

laxskinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:54 am 

IIRC correctly Iuvenes is pretty much a viking era Bathory clone. Though, as with so many polish bands, they're apaprently nazis...

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:09 am 

Ereb Altor is pretty close, and they even kinda pride themselves on being a Bathory clone.

Last edited by In_Zane on Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
j_bentley12885
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:46 am 

Footless wrote:

Cryptopsy - None So Vile

Incantation - Diabilical Conquest
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
Deceased - Blueprints for Madness

I guarantee at least one of those will change by this time next week.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:45 pm 

Why did it take Death such a long time to get signed and release an album? Chuck was extremely prolific in releasing demos from the time he formed the band in 1984 to 1986, a year prior to SBG being released. Clearly there was potential and talent in the demos he released so why wasn't he signed to a record deal earlier?

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:38 pm 

Judas Maiden wrote:
Why did it take Death such a long time to get signed and release an album? Chuck was extremely prolific in releasing demos from the time he formed the band in 1984 to 1986, a year prior to SBG being released. Clearly there was potential and talent in the demos he released so why wasn't he signed to a record deal earlier?

I'd guess the lack of a deal was partly because of the difficulty in establishing a stable lineup and the band's location moving around constantly (moving from Florida to the Bay Area and back again). Combat eventually picked them up after the Mutilation demo which was their most refined up to that point. As for the lack of an album, SBG was supposed to be released in 86, but the first attempt at recording it was scrapped when the label disliked the results. The second attempt is the one that got released in 87.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:54 pm 

Technically a somewhat broad question, but how come power metal has the greatest reputation of being "cheesy?" Well, to be fair, it kinda is, but so is the entire metal genre to begin with. If anything, power metal also has some of the least cheesy bands, like Kamelot.

Last edited by yungstirjoey666 on Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:08 pm 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
Technically a somewhat broad question, but how come power metal has the greatest reputation of being "cheesy?" Well, to be fair, it kinda is, but so is the entire metal subgenre to begin with. If anything, power metal also has some of the least cheesy bands, like Kamelot.

Many more extreme metal fans will hear some Rhapsody and Dragonforce and decide there's nothing else to the genre but that.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:50 am 

There's a lot of cheesy awful "wampyric" black metal too. Power metal tends to be over the top epic music centred around melody too, there's no denying that and there's a ton of overlap with symphonic metal. My point being I was really into power metal when I was a teenager and what I loved about the genre is how cheesy it is. Not all bands can be Blind Guardian...

Not sure why people get so defensive about power metal nowadays, embrace cheesiness if that's what you like! It's OK, seriously.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:53 am 

Well, sure, I mean I was just agreeing that metal as a whole will always have that element of cheese... it's just disingenuous to me to pretend there's something different about any genre in that regard.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 33  Next