Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:10 am 

New Dødheimsgard is releasing April 14th, 2023.

The first track, Abyss Perihelion Transit, was released yesterday:

Wire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:22 am 

This first track is amazing. For sure DHG never disappoints.

kovner1972
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:40 am 

Beautiful shit, further removed from metal, but who needs metal when you have music as beautiful as this...

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:33 pm 

great

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:30 pm 

Damn, thats excellent. Havent checked them out in a long time. Should go back and listen to the last album of theirs

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:20 am 

Durag wrote:
Damn, thats excellent. Havent checked them out in a long time. Should go back and listen to the last album of theirs

Their last album (A Umbra Omega) is one of the most beautifully demented things I've heard. You will not be disappointed.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:03 am 

Interesting track, I dig it. Of course I'm not expecting this to touch A Umbra Omega. Few things can.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:12 am 

I am taken by surprise with this positive feedback. To me sounded like a total snoozefest... The song was linear throughout its duration, the parts didn't go anywhere, and the composition was not something that was not heard in the previous album.

Yes it is.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:47 am 

Preordered this, when I needed something to accompany the Argenthorns order (both on the same label). It's a dive into something new to me, basically. Need to inspect the band. I like spacey ambience.

I got a couple of their albums ('666 International' & 'Supervillain Outcast'), but have not given them time.

Last edited by Lane on Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:00 pm 

LefterisK wrote:
I am taken by surprise with this positive feedback. To me sounded like a total snoozefest... The song was linear throughout its duration, the parts didn't go anywhere, and the composition was not something that was not heard in the previous album.

Yeah, DHG is a top five band for me and this one's pretty boring. I liked A Umbra Omega but I had my problems with that one too with the meandering structure. I'd give that one a 7.5/10. Both 666 International and Supervillain Outcast are 10's for me and probably in my top 10 all time.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:12 pm 

I loved this track as well. I loved AUO as well and I’m sure there’ll be more black metally tracks as well… the album is 70 min long after all.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:09 pm 

Looking forward to this one. They do wacky spaced out experimentation right like few can.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:25 pm 

I wouldn't call most of their stuff "spaced out" at all. A few bits from AUO and apparently some of this one. Nothing before that though.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:30 pm 

Yeah, I think people sometimes forget how brutal their period in the 00s were compared to the more chill A Umbra Omega. Supervillain Outcast in particular was so punishing. By the way, if people are fans of that era, then I recommend this rehearsal from 2003 with Carl-Michael Eide (Aggressor/Czral) on drums.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:26 am 

This is a band I've meant to get around to, but haven't yet. Skimming through their stuff, I get the vibe that they'll be a band where I dig certain records, but not all of them. As for the new single, it definitely has some cool moments; I just find it meanders structurally and is a bit challenging to get through the whole thing in one sitting. But maybe I just need to give it another few passes. Definitely going to check out A Umbra Omega, with all the hype around it.

brundlefly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:29 am 

Raven_Augustus wrote:
Yeah, I think people sometimes forget how brutal their period in the 00s were compared to the more chill A Umbra Omega. Supervillain Outcast in particular was so punishing. By the way, if people are fans of that era, then I recommend this rehearsal from 2003 with Carl-Michael Eide (Aggressor/Czral) on drums.

This rips. such a shame that he was never able to get behind the kit again after 2004.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:17 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
This is a band I've meant to get around to, but haven't yet. Skimming through their stuff, I get the vibe that they'll be a band where I dig certain records, but not all of them. As for the new single, it definitely has some cool moments; I just find it meanders structurally and is a bit challenging to get through the whole thing in one sitting. But maybe I just need to give it another few passes. Definitely going to check out A Umbra Omega, with all the hype around it.

I'm listening to A Umbra Omega right now and it's a noticeable step up from what I heard last night; pretty twisted and it's keeping my attention a LOT more. Kind of like a more industrial sounding Deathspell Omega, with vocals similar to either Bethlehem or Shining (I know Vicotnik is a very particular and eccentric vocalist; I just never listened to anything of his in great depth yet. Still have to give proper attention to Dold Vord Ens Navn as well, even with Haavard being back in the fold).

Gonna keep listening to this, and will probably revisit the new single later.

kovner1972
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:21 pm 

Raven_Augustus wrote:

This. Is. Amazing! And how would you know that the music is awesome? When you don't even need a vocalist and you still enjoy the tunes to the max.

They have done a U-turn since their 666 International era back to their blistering black metal roots. Holy fuck.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:50 pm 

A Umbra Omega was stellar and I need to revisit that one. Hoping this one is of similar quality.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:26 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
This is a band I've meant to get around to, but haven't yet. Skimming through their stuff, I get the vibe that they'll be a band where I dig certain records, but not all of them.

I can confirm that all their albums are very different, so I would not be surprised that you would end up liking some and not others. Starting with the Satanic Art EP they are all very experimental and avant-garde, and they have long gaps between recording so they truly stand as individual statements, they don't depend on you knowing the previous stuff.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:42 pm 

kovner1972 wrote:
They have done a U-turn since their 666 International era back to their blistering black metal roots. Holy fuck.

666 wasn't blistering?! And FLIPPITYFLOP, Aldrahn is on vocals on every album except Supervillain Outcast and the new one (out of the band again).

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:34 am 

Raven_Augustus wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
This is a band I've meant to get around to, but haven't yet. Skimming through their stuff, I get the vibe that they'll be a band where I dig certain records, but not all of them.

I can confirm that all their albums are very different, so I would not be surprised that you would end up liking some and not others. Starting with the Satanic Art EP they are all very experimental and avant-garde, and they have long gaps between recording so they truly stand as individual statements, they don't depend on you knowing the previous stuff.

Makes sense. When checking out A Umbra Omega yesterday, that thing was dense as hell (very good record though! I dug it quite a bit) and it makes sense that an album like that would take quite a while to write (just getting the vision clear would be an ordeal). Aside from that, I can tell I'm going to like the debut and Supervillian Outcast as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if AUO ends up being my favourite (the hype was real!). On that note, I'm surprised at how many people call AUO a "chill" record - I heard a fuck-ton of aggressive, blistering and chaotic moments throughout that reminded me of Deathspell Omega with weirder vocals. Maybe there were more clean sections on that record than the previous?

Chaosmonger wrote:
kovner1972 wrote:

666 wasn't blistering?! And FLIPPITYFLOP, Aldrahn is on vocals on every album except Supervillain Outcast and the new one (out of the band again).

Oh shit! You're right. I guess both him and Vicotnik are 'out there' and zany with their vocals. Definitely an acquired taste, but shit, if I can get used to how obnoxious Niklas Kvarforth can be, I can surely get used to this too.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:50 pm 

New single + music video! This is amazing.

My thoughts on the song are in the spoiler.
Spoiler: show
I put this in spoiler tags because I did not expect this song to develop the way it did, and I don't want to ruin anyone's first impressions. It starts of almost like a song from Supervillain Outcast, with some hints to Kronet til konge, but it ends on a super beautiful and spacey note, it somewhat reminded me of Arcturus on their most chill songs on Sideshow Symphonies. The name of the band is also used in the lyrics if you pay close attention.

The video description was pretty cool too.
Quote:
Video created by Yusaf Parvez

With thanks to:
Fantastic Planet
Nasa – The Universe

Vicotnik states the following about the song:

“This lyric feels oddly deterministic. Where will represented through self-image and your destiny doesn’t match up. The currents will hold your hand downstream. It is your story for better or worse. The sense of defeat, not necessarily all negative, but rather an intrinsic path toward self-honesty. Willingly giving into destiny, and thus, in a sense free? Do I have moral liberty, or is my freedom of will rather restrained to whether I choose to be honest about what I am? I acknowledge will, whether it is free or not. Maybe this is my key to my false dilemma? The compatibilist notion that my world has to be deterministic for there to even exist a will. This cold empty darkness, where you find yourself, void of your special pleading. My greatest failure and triumph, acknowledging who I am."

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:28 pm 

The song does indeed sound pretty damn good, the spacey outro is the perfect way to end it too. Glad to see there's some more aggressive material on the new record.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:34 pm 

Some of the tracks are pretty cool but the vocals should be way lower in the mix.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:57 pm 

This is probably gonna be my favourite if not too 3 this year. I love it.

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:25 am 

It's incredible from the start with "Et Smelter"

Since A Umbra Omega, 8 years cycle pattern spent in gold yet

Wire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:04 am 

This new track is perfect. Very good song in the old vein of the band.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:32 am 

I'm pleasantly surprised with this one. I still thing the production could be better (vocals are too high on the mix, some of the heavy parts don't hit as hard as they should) bit it's super mysterious and catchy at the same time. Vocals are also a lot better than on A umbra omega. Individual songs may not be impressive but it really works as a whole.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:48 pm 

yeah this thing is really growing on me now

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:19 am 

Oh yeah this is really very impressive. Spacious, expansive, emotional...

gzusrocker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:41 pm 

I think i never listened to this band before, then I picked up this new album to check out and, holy shit, this is way beyond crazy. But hell, i'm very, very impressed, it's a pretty solid release as far as I've listened at this moment(i'm on track four), these guys can mix up a lot of different things and yet it stills sounds cohesive and good. Gotta dig up their whole discography ASAP.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:34 am 

Really striking how this was all strung together. Any one song on its own will sound good enough, but the progression through this album is quite stunning and they really take you on this journey. Production is excellent too.

Also as a newcomer to the band, it's fascinating that this is totally different from the other one I heard, Supervillain Outcast.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:43 am 

It's a masterpiece. I'm happy because while I liked A Umbra Omega, I thought it was a step below their best work. Empyreal, I'd recommend 666 International next. It's more industrial but it's just as much of a masterpiece. It's like a black metal David Lynch film. I think Supervillain Outcast is a masterpiece too but a lot of people didn't like it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:09 am 

Yeah I'll probably try that one later today.

Supervillain Outcast was less experimental than I figured, but a hard-ass industrial aggressive type of album... maybe the riffs aren't as good as Godflesh's Streetcleaner but it was cool and surprisingly catchy. Cool lyrics too.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:26 am 

Supervillain Outcast is amazing. I wouldn't compare it to Godflesh myself. It's more like the band that made 666 International (albeit with mostly different members) straightening the structures out and making sort of an "art-pop" version of 666.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:32 am 

Yeah I just mean Godflesh was also something I discovered recently and they both have that general industrial kind of sound. I need to listen in more detail when not working anyway.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:36 pm 

This is my first proper DHG listen (i checked out 666 international god knows how long ago) and i'm blown away. Just a complete album that doesn't have any dull moments, has a nice flow and surprises you from time to time. AOTY contender for suree

brundlefly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:06 am 

I've always liked and appreciated DHG for just how fucking weird they are. I was big into industrial during my teen years, so as I got into more extreme forms of music, Supervillain Outcast was a natural fit. As good as that album was (and is), it never really made me feel anything outside of an adrenaline rush, or general enthusiasm that's gained from listening to straight-up great tunes.

This though- this is something else altogether. This is art that can and will move you if given the opportunity. Strong AOTY contender.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:48 pm 

Solid album, that I'm sure will continue to grow on me. I like that it almost is more traditional this time around, but still has its experimental quirks.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next