Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:59 pm 

Former Meliah Rage and Ross the Boss vocalist Marc Lopes joins Metal Church, replacing Mike Howe after his tragic passing.

The official announcement is pinned here:

http://www.twitter.com/metalchurchis1

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:48 pm 

Really stoked to share the stage with em at his first show with the band at Legions of Metal. I've seen him with Ross the Boss and I don't think anyone is going to have any complaints.
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:50 pm 

They haven't put out a decent album in almost 25 years but there's still something comforting about knowing they'll continue. I haven't heard Marc Lopes but I wish them all luck together.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:04 pm 

Marc is a beast and I can see them bringing back a lot of the David Wayne songs with him around. Would LOVE to see him belt out Metal Church or Hitman.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:00 pm 

I have quite a soft spot for this band so I'm very glad that they're continuing. Would be great to catch them live some time.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:31 pm 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
They haven't put out a decent album in almost 25 years but there's still something comforting about knowing they'll continue. I haven't heard Marc Lopes but I wish them all luck together.

I thought that the latest album was the most listenable album since A Light in the Dark.

I was under the impression that one guy who used to sing for Vicious Rumors joined Metal Church. I guess that didn't turn out too well, then?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:02 pm 

colin040 wrote:
KrigareTjovane wrote:

I thought that the latest album was the most listenable album since A Light in the Dark.

I was under the impression that one guy who used to sing for Vicious Rumors joined Metal Church. I guess that didn't turn out too well, then?

Other way wrong: the guy who used to sing for VR joined Metal Church (from what I've heard Ronny Munroe is the better of the two vocals).

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:26 am 

Awesome. I really enjoy his vocals in Let Us Prey and what I've heard of Ross the Boss, I think he'll be a good fit with Metal Church.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:11 am 

I will check it out, of course. I really enjoyed XI & Damned If You Do so I'm sure they'll put out some great new songs
I don't know Marc Lopes, as I only have two Ross The Boss albums before he joined but he'll probably be good as he has to fill some shoes eh.

The weird thing though is... today I realised there is no one in the band right now who played on my favorite Metal Church album, which was recorded by Mike Howe, John Marshall, Craig Wells, Duke Erickson and Kirk Arrington. So.... feels odd in a way.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:15 am 

morbert wrote:
The weird thing though is... today I realised there is no one in the band right now who played on my favorite Metal Church album, which was recorded by Mike Howe, John Marshall, Craig Wells, Duke Erickson and Kirk Arrington. So.... feels odd in a way.

I feel you. I actually can't imagine listening to anything new after Mike's passing with much pleasure. I simply don't feel like I care anymore. Their latest albums worked because of Mike - the rest felt a bit pedestrian and by the numbers, really. It was Mike's unique voice that lifted them up.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:18 am 

I saw this dude cover all of Hail to England with Ross the Boss 3 years ago. Totally amazing show.

EndorphinMachine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:51 am 

morbert wrote:

But Vanderhoof wrote the whole thing, no?
I'm trying to remember the story, but failing.

UnholyCrusada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:14 am 

EndorphinMachine wrote:
morbert wrote:

But Vanderhoof wrote the whole thing, no?
I'm trying to remember the story, but failing.

He has songwriting/lyric credits on almost every song on those 3 Howe albums, plus recording credits for “Additional Guitars”. So yeah, he is in fact on them despite not technically being a member at the time.

I’m cautiously optimistic for what the band has in store coming up. The new guy sounds killer, that’s for sure.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:29 pm 

As for Metal Church, good look to them, but I don't know if people are gonna care anymore.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Last edited by KaiKasparek on Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UnholyCrusada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:38 pm 

^ Um, wrong thread methinks?

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:59 pm 

UnholyCrusada wrote:
^ Um, wrong thread methinks?

Yup. :lol:

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:50 am 

Little teaser right here

https://www.facebook.com/10004457313326 ... =permalink

Not sure whether the vocals are totally my thing, but this sounds surprisingly heavier / riffier than I expected.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:53 am 

colin040 wrote:
Little teaser right here

https://www.facebook.com/10004457313326 ... =permalink

Not sure whether the vocals are totally my thing, but this sounds surprisingly heavier / riffier than I expected.

Well, call me intrigued at the very least. Let's hope those heavy riffs have more staying power than their last however many albums.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:03 pm 

Without knowing the full context, part of me wonders if they’re aiming for a sound closer to the first two Wayne albums. Lopes’ voice lends itself to a gritty take on the style and the guitar snippets feel harder edged than they’ve been in a while.

Sestren
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:44 pm 

Just thought I'd mention that am watching No Man's Land (1987) And there's a scene that plays Metal Church's Ton of Bricks from The Dark album. I knew I heard it from somewhere when I was trying to figure it out, so I made a search for the movie soundtrack and sure enough it's from Metal Church. Pretty neat.

First time seeing this movie which stars Mr.Tigers Blood himself Charlie Sheen. It is a good film and sure seems like Fast N The Furious stole it's base plot. I highly reccomend it if you like Fast N the Furious.

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:04 pm 

As long as Vanderhoof is in the band I am perfectly content for them to keep going. Not like it's a Riot situation where none of the original band or songwriters are still there, you know? Speaking of- real stoked to see Riot Act again at the same fest that Metal Church is doing in June! They were just amazing touring with Raven last year.

Recorded the Riot Act set if anyone is curious- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_j5YyfeyYE
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:16 pm 

Definitely intrigued by the teaser. I think Marc's voice definitely lends itself to the grittier sound they seem to be going for and I'm sure Vanderhoof's will come up with some cool riffs and melodies to compliment it.

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:10 am 

New song. It sounds okay if you ask me.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:47 am 

I like it. Chunky riffs, familiar vocals...clearly sounds like Metal Church.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:06 am 

Surprisingly fresh sounding tune! This is the first time I've heard Marc Lopes and wow, he fits like a glove. Can only imagine how good he sounds doing material from the first two albums.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:41 am 

Stock modern Metal Church, if you ask me. Too much "chug" and a neutered production. The drum tone is weak as hell. The vocals are quiet alive and varied though, yet hearing these middling tunes without Mike Howe at the helm still doesn't quite work for me.

Doesn't suck but I'm not gonna listen to this ever again, I'm sure.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:11 am 

I'm forced to agree with the previous poster. I have a soft spot for this band but that new song is boring and flat as hell. I'm sure I could come up with a more interesting riff and I'm not even a guitarist.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:26 am 

This is surprisingly excellent overall.

It could have been an amazing song with a better chorus and just a tidbit less chugga chugga variations on the main riff. There's an almost direct quote of a very iconic Andreas Kisser dissonant arpeggio straight from 'Arise' ("Dead Embryonic Cells") twice in there, but I perceive it as a clear homage at this point, so I don't really mind it. I also hear some distinctly Wrath style of riffing in some of the recurring transitions, which might simply be a coincidence as the two bands had a lot in common back in the day.

Apart from that, this almost sounds like Metal Church from the first couple of albums, with the new vocalist delivering an impressive performance while sounding very much in the same vein as classic Wayne (if a bit more aggressive, but he pulls it off). The drumming is also great and very reminiscent of the slightly quirky tempos that are an integral part of the charm of the first two, particularly on songs like "Hitman" or "Start the Fire". Is it the same drummer or just someone with a similar vibe?

That's a lot of new info for me to take in, though. I wasn't even aware that Meliah Rage had eventually released more albums with different members after 'Solitary Solitude' and when I hear "Meliah Rage vocalist" I also hear the judge's voice saying "Mister Munro!..." from the timeless "Razzor Ribbon" off of that album. It seems Mark Lopes was in the band for their nth album in the 2010s? I wasn't aware of Mike Howe's passing either, RIP.

And there's another Riot of Fire AD besides Riot V? With the second guitarist from a handful of their early albums, Rick Ventura? Honestly, they sound great from the live video linked in this thread (the bassist in particular). But yeah, I'd rather see this band's legacy (and so many others) left alone and musicians inspired by it or who contributed to a bit of it starting real new bands instead.

Anyways. This might be a rare case of a band going back to its roots ages after their heyday and somehow pulling it off. There were a few others in recent years who achieved that feat, like Accept, Overkill or Flotsam & Jetsam (at least for a time), so why not Metal Church after all. That's nice.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:41 am 

I like this new song, it's got that straight forward driving rhythm that I expect from them but it's Marc Lopes' vocals that have sold it for me. He's got that voice that could fit the likes of Overkill, Exodus and obviously right here with Metal Fuckin Church. He owns it like he's been in the band since day one and I think I'll like this song even more with subsequent listens. Whatever reservations I had have gone out the window and I'm definitely looking forward to getting the new album now.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:19 am 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
Stock modern Metal Church, if you ask me. Too much "chug" and a neutered production. The drum tone is weak as hell. The vocals are quiet alive and varied though, yet hearing these middling tunes without Mike Howe at the helm still doesn't quite work for me.

Doesn't suck but I'm not gonna listen to this ever again, I'm sure.

Sums up modern Metal Church no matter who the singer is.

Like your reviews?

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:15 pm 

HighwayCorsair wrote:
As long as Vanderhoof is in the band I am perfectly content for them to keep going. Not like it's a Riot situation where none of the original band or songwriters are still there, you know? Speaking of- real stoked to see Riot Act again at the same fest that Metal Church is doing in June! They were just amazing touring with Raven last year.

Recorded the Riot Act set if anyone is curious- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_j5YyfeyYE

In the last week or two I just realized I love Riot V. Their stuff is better than the Dimeo era and Todd Michael Hall is a great vocalist. I am hoping they record another album soon. Riot Act is cool too.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:34 am 

I'm digging the new song as well, looks like the band made the right decision hiring Marc.

Sestren
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:13 am 

He sounds great. Really digging this. I hope we get that new Presto Ballet album this year too. Their facebook page mention Vanderhoof finishing that up. I still play Peace Among the Ruins every now and then it is such a good listen and my favorite of that side band.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:43 am 

New song is cool - their new stuff gets damned with faint praise a lot but it's solid meat and potatoes stuff. This new singer is pretty fucking awesome. Great gritty snarl and shrieking.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:36 pm 

I think Metal Church has always stayed consistent even with the vocalist changes throughout the ears, Vanderhoof has done a pretty good job adapting his songwriting to whoever happens to be singing for them at a given moment.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:42 am 

Another single dropped, Making Monsters, Marc Lopes has really sold me on this next album.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:27 am 

I'm underwhelmed by the vocals.
Unfortunately.
I cannot help hearing in my head what Howe would have done.

mynameishere
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:37 pm 

Very good solid songs, not bad. The album cover art reminds me a bit of Endgame by Megadeth.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:56 am 

Pretty boring stuff, honestly.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:25 am 

Yeah, not sure what to make of this one. I could definitely hear Howe singing on it, which seems to undermine the Wayne-era aesthetic suggested by the first single.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next