* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:24 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
BillyR wrote:
Well thank you for making excuses on behalf of my race, but thats just a sweeping generalization. Ive never felt beaten down, or had "pent of frustration at having 'my' culture bastardized". I mean, im black and work as a tour manager for metal bands, who are 99.9% white, should i stop as im bastardizing white mans culture?

Not all white people are responsible for the actions of a few.

I lived in Compton LA for 5 years before i moved to Boca Raton Florida, and if i apply a sweeping generalization, i can say my fellow black people steal anything that isnt nailed down, deal drugs and shoot each other, cos thats what i saw most days in Compton.

You cant say "Racism is bad" and "Well, racism is ok coming from this side because of this...."

Bottom line - there is no excuse for racism, and saying "Fucking white people", or "white people ruing everything" is just being a bigot while hiding behind your colour. Even dumber if you listen to metal, go burn your fucking metal records than and listen to music made strictly by black people then if its such a problem.

This just proves what I already imagined - you may be black, but you are privileged enough to not understand where I and M_O_T_A are coming from. Black people have been victims for hundreds of years and still are - they really don't need you or anyone else devaluing their concerns or making generalized comments about their race. White people have been at the top of the heap, by their own violent and evil doings, for hundreds of years. You can make a few generalized comments about them and they're gonna be fine. Yeah, no kidding, not all white people are racist. But you must understand that some people's guard goes up. Some people have suffered enough to where they see all of one group as the aggressor. In order to not see this, you must 1) lead a very privileged life or 2) be a legit scumbag.
maxxpower wrote:
Too much energy being spent defending Mayhem here. White people have a really hard time admitting that they've said some dumbass things in the past. And yes, my wife is white and I'm brown, but she's not an idiot, she recognizes that white people have done a bunch of dumbass racist shit.

Yeah, this, holy crap. It's not hard to get. I can't believe I'm actually engaging with people who are making the reverse racism argument and acting like M_O_T_A's comments are problematic. There's been an alarming uptick in the amount of gross shit that seems permissible here lately. First we get people openly discussing purchasing that new Harry Potter game and doing so with no pushback, and now we're getting people complaining about racism against white people. Good lord.

Does it ever get lonely and cold, on your moral high ground?

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:39 pm 

And now you're casting anti-racism in a negative light by turning your nose up at it as "moral high ground". Good lord, how have all y'all not been banned yet.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:43 pm 

They’re not making fun of anti-racism, they’re making fun of you, for putting effort into arguing with Mayhem fans.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:47 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
And now you're casting anti-racism in a negative light by turning your nose up at it as "moral high ground". Good lord, how have all y'all not been banned yet.

You and your posts are not the embodiment of antiracism.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:51 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

No bro, you don't represent anti-racism. Stop thinking so highly of yourself. You represent your own extremely narrow vision of anti-racism where everyone who ever so slightly disagrees with you is basically Adolf Hitler.

Most people in this thread have taken firm anti-racism stances on this forum in the past, yet because they don't fit into your definition of anti-racism, you talk of them as if they were racists themselves.

You even completely rejected the validity of a black man's experience on racism because it didn't fit your narrative. You're a zealot. You seriously need to do some introspection.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:52 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
They’re not making fun of anti-racism, they’re making fun of you, for putting effort into arguing with Mayhem fans.

I don't think HeavenDuff is making fun of anyone tbh, it's pretty clear that a bunch of posters have disagreements on whether racism against white people is actually being committed as a result of various posts in this thread. Which I don't want to wade into at all because I think that discourse is frankly a bit ridiculous.

Anyway, I think the thread as a whole has sort of run its course, we're a week removed from these show cancellations and everyone involved has basically moved on while this thread has basically turned into people sniping at each other over whether someone is a proper anti-racist or not, who has the moral high ground etc.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:18 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
Hexenmacht46290 wrote:

I don't think HeavenDuff is making fun of anyone tbh, it's pretty clear that a bunch of posters have disagreements on whether racism against white people is actually being committed as a result of various posts in this thread. Which I don't want to wade into at all because I think that discourse is frankly a bit ridiculous.

Anyway, I think the thread as a whole has sort of run its course, we're a week removed from these show cancellations and everyone involved has basically moved on while this thread has basically turned into people sniping at each other over whether someone is a proper anti-racist or not, who has the moral high ground etc.

I don't know that its "run its course", this discussion is good on some levels, isn't it? I know I'm entertained and, yes, perhaps just a bit more educated or enlightened in some ways. There are a lot of smart people making good points or insights.

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:23 pm 

I'm all for this being laid to rest. I am as in favor of anti-racism as anyone but this is not productive and, as is stated above, this has just turned into a series of personal attacks... this is a metal forum, not grandma's Facebook wall.
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

BillyR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:40 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
In order to not see this, you must 1) lead a very privileged life or 2) be a legit scumbag.

Bro, you need help.

I spent most of my life in Brixton, i grew up there and worked there. You probably have zero idea what kind of a place that was in the 70's/80's, but i think i can safely say it wasnt/isnt what you'd call a privileged life living in a tower block with cockroaches, rioting and crime.

I helped out setting up sound systems at the local youth club, from there became a roadie/van driver.

From there i became a tour manager, after doing a East coast US tour i took a chance and moved to LA, only place i could afford, shared with 4 other guys was a place in Compton, again you have no idea what late 80's early 90's Compton was like (i didnt either, lol!). Working any shitty job i could between tours (Washing dishes, cleaning toilets, nightclub bouncer) kept me alive, though i got stabbed once.

Then i got a chance to move in with a friend in Florida ,again, shitty jobs between tours...

Came back to England while doing a Tour and decided to move back, met my wife had kids etc...

I work driving a Taxi between tours to pay bills.

I really dont think im privileged in anyway.

My guess is you are though, hence your completely naïve view of people and the world.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:15 am 

Americans really like turning politics into sports games. Reality isn't black or white, racism doesn't instantly mean you want to put all jews on trains. Modern American progressives getting into the anti racism debate from their own very limited angle is an absolute negative influence on anti fascism across the world and part of the reason why so many working class people now are all about populists right wing parties/movements. Get your head out of the anglobox if you want to see wider change for everyone and not just feel good to be on the "right side of history"

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:36 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
Americans really like turning politics into sports games. Reality isn't black or white, racism doesn't instantly mean you want to put all jews on trains. Modern American progressives getting into the anti racism debate from their own very limited angle is an absolute negative influence on anti fascism across the world and part of the reason why so many working class people now are all about populists right wing parties/movements. Get your head out of the anglobox if you want to see wider change for everyone and not just feel good to be on the "right side of history"

I just wanted to point and laugh at this stupidly ridiculous comment. The reason why us progressives are so aggressive nowadays is because of (2) things:

1) Right wing is trying their hardest to erase trans people from existence. They are trying to dictate what women can do or can't do with their own bodies. They are trying to erase black history. Should I keep going?
2) Centrists like you that are content with how things are right now or are fine with miniscule improvements rather than huge changes that are desperately needed if POC and LGBTQ+ people are to have a future in this world. Because let me tell you, when brown people start mass migrations to white European countries due to climate change, every white country will want a Viktor Orban and will probably be okay with the mass extinction of brown people.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:42 am 

I mean I'm not a centrist at all, hate those fucks too, but the thing is that it just doesn't do anything if you're doing what LoD is doing and shouting at people online with this exasperated haughty tone like he's been doing. Who is that going to convince? What has it done for the movement?

Especially talking down to what's apparently an actual black dude about how racism should be dealt with. Just lol on that one. Almost like a parody.

I brought up it being silly to care about M_o_t_A saying "fucking white people" only because it just doesn't affect or bother me at all. Not even trying to be like "yes you're right, white people are bad" or any nonsense like that - it's just a non-issue when he said that original comment and it's not like we needed to take all of this time out of our days to give this much of a shit. Especially when the core of that post was correctly taking umbrage with the misuse of the word "woke." Which is annoying these days.

A bunch of white progressives flagellating themselves over how bad white people are is unnecessary and kinda just makes you look goofy. Just read as much as you can, don't assume things and don't assume typing long paragraphs online is the same thing as activism. I don't know everybody here personally but just hope you got some stuff you're actually doing to organize in real life beyond just typing here!

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:13 pm 

If, in the face of what has been said in this thread, you say something as monumentally stupid and red-flaggy as "stop being racist against white people", expect pushback. It's not difficult to grasp. And, you know, even if that take comes from a person who's not white, I'm still gonna call it a scummy take. Just like I won't give Blair White's views on her own community credence, even though she's trans herself.

I disagree on shouting and being zealous being ineffective, though. It's really all that can be done. Staying quiet and trying to reason with people and trying to have "mature and civil discussions" hasn't been working and it's time to find new tactics, I think. Tactics that are more direct and send a clear message.

HighwayCorsair wrote:
I'm all for this being laid to rest. I am as in favor of anti-racism as anyone but this is not productive and, as is stated above, this has just turned into a series of personal attacks... this is a metal forum, not grandma's Facebook wall.

Mhm. What needs to be said has already been said.

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:39 pm 

Eh, people's go-to is usually to dig their heels in, whether one's persuasive efforts are level-headed and respectful or not. I don't see that being more antagonistic is likely to impress anyone; at worst, what you achieve is to alienate people, make your allies seem ridiculous by association, and feel terrible about yourself for acting like an asshole.

After all, as Nietzsche himself once wrote, "When battling monsters, take care not to become a monster yourself." (Or as another wise person said, "If a lot of people love each other, the world will be a better place to live.") :-P

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:40 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I mean I'm not a centrist at all, hate those fucks too, but the thing is that it just doesn't do anything if you're doing what LoD is doing and shouting at people online with this exasperated haughty tone like he's been doing. Who is that going to convince? What has it done for the movement?

Especially talking down to what's apparently an actual black dude about how racism should be dealt with. Just lol on that one. Almost like a parody.

I brought up it being silly to care about M_o_t_A saying "fucking white people" only because it just doesn't affect or bother me at all. Not even trying to be like "yes you're right, white people are bad" or any nonsense like that - it's just a non-issue when he said that original comment and it's not like we needed to take all of this time out of our days to give this much of a shit. Especially when the core of that post was correctly taking umbrage with the misuse of the word "woke." Which is annoying these days.

A bunch of white progressives flagellating themselves over how bad white people are is unnecessary and kinda just makes you look goofy. Just read as much as you can, don't assume things and don't assume typing long paragraphs online is the same thing as activism. I don't know everybody here personally but just hope you got some stuff you're actually doing to organize in real life beyond just typing here!

Like I said, I'm a brown progressive. White progressives aren't really my friends unless they are actually doing shit about the injustices in this world. And I agree, there's ways to get your point across without personal attacks.

Finally, it will never not be hilarious seeing white people get their feelings hurt when POC say that white people suck ass.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:17 pm 

maxxpower wrote:
Finally, it will never not be hilarious seeing white people get their feelings hurt when POC say that white people suck ass.

I know right, imagine being insulted when someone hates on your entire race. White people are just quirky like that.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:24 pm 

I strongly disagree with BillyR that a throwaway "fucking white people" comment is particularly problematic, let alone racist. Metal_on_the_Ascendant did nothing wrong. It was a comment punching upwards, borne out of frustration, and white people taking this personally are just being fragile tbh. Reeks of #notallmen nonsense.

That said: I also strongly feel that Lord_Of_Diamonds is a giant, insufferable tool and a huge asshole, who now has the nerve to smugly and arrogantly whitesplain racism to a black man and call him privileged (fucking lol), and who is (well, was) completely derailing this thread. LoD also just came back from a month-long ban for being a toxic virtue signaller (by encouraging harassment of... people playing a video game), and promptly resumed this behaviour immediately after his ban lapsed.

So, good news: people who were looking for the block button, this will no longer be necessary, because he will no longer be posting.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:59 pm 

Raven_Augustus wrote:
maxxpower wrote:

I know right, imagine being insulted when someone hates on your entire race. White people are just quirky like that.

Like Malcolm X said, saying "fuck white people" is not hating the white race, if you feel that way that's more your problem than mine.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:17 pm 

Oh don't worry about me, I won't be affected by that discourse at all. Tell those crackers that they're the irredeemable villains of history all you want. I'm just saying if you want to fight against the systemic oppression of white supremacy, then say that, don't make it personal and nasty by insulting the people. Yours is the rhetoric that right wingers can point to to demonstrate supposed anti white bigotry.

(And that's not concern trolling or tone policing, it's the facts, and this entire thread proves it).

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:50 pm 

Raven_Augustus wrote:
Oh don't worry about me, I won't be affected by that discourse at all. Tell those crackers that they're the irredeemable villains of history all you want. I'm just saying if you want to fight against the systemic oppression of white supremacy, then say that, don't make it personal and nasty by insulting the people. Yours is the rhetoric that right wingers can point to to demonstrate supposed anti white bigotry.

(And that's not concern trolling or tone policing, it's the facts, and this entire thread proves it).

Agree to disagree.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:46 pm 

Raven_Augustus wrote:

I mean part of the reason I didn't care about it was because I was pretty sure the guy in question wasn't literally insulting or hating random people for no reason. Throwaway comment. I just think it became one of those things that got completely blown out of proportion.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:56 pm 

People will react this way every time when you insult their identity directly.

There is something called systemic racism, it is inherited from colonialism and earlier times in the US (and other colonial empires) when white supremacy was more explicit (slavery, segregation etc). The thing with systemic racism is that it can be perpetuated without the individuals themselves being racist. That's why you can have black police officers working for white supremacy without themselves being white supremacists. It's a systemic thing, very different from interpersonal racism. When you say "fuck white people" you are attacking individuals, members of a perceived racial group, not the system.

It's like ACAB (all cops are bastards). It's a dumb slogan because most people will hear it and think "hmm my uncle is a policeman and he's a nice guy" and then you have to spend 15 minutes explaining why you have a problem with the institution of law enforcement and not every individual who is a cop.

Compare that to Black Lives Matter. It's a simple and affirmative slogan that perfectly conveys their message. They're not saying white lives don't matter or that only black lives matter. BLM is a great message.

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:23 pm 

Raven_Augustus wrote:

There is something called systemic racism, it is inherited from colonialism and earlier times in the US (and other colonial empires) when white supremacy was more explicit (slavery, segregation etc). The thing with systemic racism is that it can be perpetuated without the individuals themselves being racist. That's why you can have black police officers working for white supremacy without themselves being white supremacists. It's a systemic thing, very different from interpersonal racism. When you say "fuck white people" you are attacking individuals, members of a perceived racial group, not the system.

It's like ACAB (all cops are bastards). It's a dumb slogan because most people will hear it and think "hmm my uncle is a policeman and he's a nice guy" and then you have to spend 15 minutes explaining why you have a problem with the institution of law enforcement and not every individual who is a cop.

Compare that to Black Lives Matter. It's a simple and affirmative slogan that perfectly conveys their message. They're not saying white lives don't matter or that only black lives matter. BLM is a great message.

ACAB is a great slogan because it's been shown time and time again that the "good apples" always get pushed out of the police gang if they try to do something that deviates from the norm of cops being bastards, but I agree with you on the BLM message.

I don't hate white people, like I said, my wife is white and my son is obviously half white, but I can tell you that in the US at least, I hate all 70+ million people that voted for Trump in 2022, obviously not all of them were white. But I think that white people need to be made to feel extremely uncomfortable, I don't care if you pretend to be an "ally", that's the only way that we'll see real systemic change.

It's pretty obvious that we have vastly different ideologies so let's leave it there, but I always challenge everyone to put themselves in the position of a trans person, who are in the most danger of being erased at this juncture, and how badly they need immediate, large changes in the system.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:35 pm 

Raven_Augustus wrote:

I mean I'd say many of those who would think this way in your examples couldn't really be convinced otherwise - a lot of them who'd take time out of their day to genuinely argue wouldn't really be doing it in good faith. Lots of people might go "well my uncle the cop is a good guy" but then would understand when you explain the slogan even a little bit. The ones who'd really stake out a position are those with their own opposite agenda.

And yeah if someone legit hates me just because I am white, there's not a lot I could do - I wouldn't agree with that but I'd probably just blow it off and go about my day. I'd say it's shitty to be a racist against white people, sure, but at the end of the day it has little effect beyond poisoning the discourse more, unlike the structural racism that actually affects people. Metal_on_the_Ascendant's comment was just that, a comment, most likely someone who doesn't even have the beliefs you're talking about. Was just some words like I said. In some cases they are just words and they had that context of the misuse of "woke" from several fucking pages ago now.

A lot of these kinds of discussions aren't really helping anything either and just get minorities or women or whoever tied up in the same semantics you're talking about... I'm not trying to be some kind of self-hating person or argue that hating someone for being white is OK, just saying not everything really merits the same outrage.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:16 am 

Pretty much ^ now can we please move on now?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:35 pm 

maxxpower wrote:
1) Right wing is trying their hardest to erase trans people from existence. They are trying to dictate what women can do or can't do with their own bodies. They are trying to erase black history. Should I keep going?

Ofcourse I know that that they are doing this, I am not taking a centrist position of that we should listen to both sides at all. I am just so tired of "progressives / liberals" coming in like they are gods gift to mankind and that they will solve everything when they actually do not.

maxxpower wrote:
2) Centrists like you that are content with how things are right now or are fine with miniscule improvements rather than huge changes that are desperately needed if POC and LGBTQ+ people are to have a future in this world. Because let me tell you, when brown people start mass migrations to white European countries due to climate change, every white country will want a Viktor Orban and will probably be okay with the mass extinction of brown people.

I sorry to disappoint you but I am a Marxist and I am not exactly "white" either. I've seen and felt quite a few things up close here and I can directly trace a lot of malignant influence to progressive centrists who are unable to do anything structurally. These Americanized progressive liberals bend the knee to right wing parties all the time. I's politically incorrect to challenge the status quo from a left wing perspective and they do not dare to do anything significant.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7