Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:06 pm 

Looks like a severe storm caused the roof of a venue to partially collapse tonight at a metal gig in Belvidere, Illinois:

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/st ... belvidere/

Reports of mass casualties, apparently.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:14 pm 

I really hope everyone there made it out alive. That's some scary shit.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:15 pm 

That's insane! Hopefully, no one was seriously hurt.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:16 pm 

Oh fuck. :(

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:17 pm 

Really sad news. :(

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:21 pm 

Terrible. Pretty much a nightmare situation. Hoping the best for everyone in attendance.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:25 pm 

That's horrible! Hope everyone made it out without any serious injuries.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:43 pm 

Holy shit :(

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:51 pm 

Bloody hell! As someone who absolutely loves metal and attending live shows, I really do hope everyone's OK but that report paints a potentially grim picture. 20 ambulances requested to attend, serous injuries and people still being pulled out.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:56 pm 

The CBS report has been updated to state that at least one person was killed. I'm hoping for the best but it looks pretty grim.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:59 pm 

Multiple bands on the tour have reported that nobody on the tour package was hurt, so that's some good news.

This whole scenario does sound grim, my heart goes out to all of the victims in this tragedy. I hope nobody that I know from the Chicago metal scene was there or got hurt :(

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:09 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
The CBS report has been updated to state that at least one person was killed. I'm hoping for the best but it looks pretty grim.

Goddammit...

I hate hearing when these things happen. People go to these shows to have a good time, see their favorite bands and forget about all the ills of life and then shit like this occurs.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:33 pm 

Here's another update:

Quote:
One person was killed and 28 injured at the Apollo Theater on Friday after a roof collapsed on concertgoers as a powerful storm and high winds swept through the area. The heavy metal band Morbid Angel was scheduled to perform.

Belvidere Fire Chief Shawn Schadle said in addition to the one person killed, five were taken to the hospital for severe injuries, eighteen with moderate injuries, and five with minor injuries.

Event coordinators said approximately 260 people were in the venue at the time of the collapse.

Illinois Gov. J.B Pritzker tweeted: “My administration is closely monitoring the roof collapse at the Apollo Theatre in Belvidere tonight. I’ve been in touch with officials for updates and to direct any available resources we can. As we learn more, please follow the guidance of all local authorities.”

Source: https://www.mystateline.com/news/local-news/first-responders-called-to-belvideres-apollo-theater-on-reports-of-collapsed-roof-due-to-powerful-storm/

It's extremely sad that someone lost their life on a day where they went out just to enjoy some live music, may they rest in peace. I hope everyone injured makes a full recovery and are able to resume their day to day lives.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:37 pm 

Quote:
One person was killed and 28 injured at the Apollo Theater on Friday after a roof collapsed on concertgoers as a powerful storm and high winds swept through the area. The heavy metal band Morbid Angel was scheduled to perform.

Belvidere Fire Chief Shawn Schadle said in addition to the one person killed, five were taken to the hospital for severe injuries, eighteen with moderate injuries, and five with minor injuries.

Event coordinators said approximately 260 people were in the venue at the time of the collapse.

Illinois Gov. J.B Pritzker tweeted: “My administration is closely monitoring the roof collapse at the Apollo Theatre in Belvidere tonight. I’ve been in touch with officials for updates and to direct any available resources we can. As we learn more, please follow the guidance of all local authorities.”

That sucks so much... RIP :(

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:57 am 

Ugh this terrible. RIP to whoever lost their life, fuck that is horrible.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:00 am 

Terrible news. Always tragic when these sorts of things happen.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:39 am 

Fuck. I would have totally gone to this if I knew it was happening. Only 20 miles from me. One of my friends might have gone, just texted him.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:22 am 

RIP.

Fast recovery to all injured. Hope they are able to go to concert after such a horrible happening.

That place looks like a war theater. There could have been much more casualties.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:51 am 

Horrifying. Thinking of all those who were injured (physically, mentally or emotionally) and those who lost their lives and their families. Was anyone from the M-A community there? I hope everyone here is safe now. :(

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:07 pm 

Last edited by CoffeeCat on Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:01 pm 

I was shocked when I saw this because I am literally seeing that tour in Columbus in one week. If they cancel to take care of the physical, emotional, and financial toll I understand completely because it's in every right for them too after this.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:19 pm 

Morbid Angel just put out a statement:

Quote:
On behalf of Morbid Angel, we want to first and foremost send our deepest and heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of the individual who tragically lost their life last night in the venue roof collapse due to heavy winds from a Tornado.

We lost a brother in Metal last night, and many were hurt and injured in this tragedy. We would like to express how truly thankful we are for those in attendance (Fans, Venue Staff, Bands and Crew) that assisted with getting people out and to safety. We want to thank the First responders (Fire, EMT, Police) that were on the scene quickly and were able to help in getting people out of the venue and to hospitals for treatment as quickly as possible.
YOU ARE TRUE HEROES!

At this time our minds continue to remain with all those who were injured and hospitalized, as well as everyone who was effected by the storms in the surrounding area. We truly hope for a fast recovery of all who were injured.

As a result of the events of last night, we are working to re-scheduling tonight’s show in Joliet, IL to Wednesday April 5th. With that said, our focus remains with the Victims of this terrible storm.

MA

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:34 pm 

I was supposed to go to that show but went and saw Suffocation with my brother and the mix of him getting irritated at me cuz i had a bit to drink and me just flat out forgetting about it, then i heard this happened and i was like oh i guess i got out lucky but i still wouldve liked to have seen them, theyre probably one of the outright most talented bands in the genre and i really like Treys kinda whole odd demeanor, he seems like a cool dude.

I live 20 minutes from there and yeah i heard that fucking storm and it surprised me because eventually it just got to such a point where you could just hear the force of the winds and its usually pretty cold and shitty and annoying in this area this time of year but its rare for it to be be that powerful, its a shame that something so stupid and just completely random just fucked a whole lot of people up, i hope they dont get superstitious lol cuz i still wanna see them live

I think if i was the owner of the club id be pretty upset thinking how this could happen to his building cuz as far as i know i dont think the storn really did much damage and i only heard it get real aggresive for about an hour or so

Perhaps.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:29 pm 

Damn, that is terrible. I missed the Milwaukee show on Thursday so I was thinking of making the trip to IL yesterday. We already had multiple tornados touch down in Wisconsin so I decided against it.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:53 pm 

It's terrible that someone lost their life, attending a concert of a band (or bands) they loved...

Like the guys in Morbid Angel said: "We lost a brother in Metal".

Maye he rest in peace.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:01 pm 

For those interested, there's a GoFundMe for the family of the guy who lost his life:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/fred-livingston-jr

As well as another for one of the seriously injured attendees:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/financial-re ... f-collapse

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:59 am 

Donated to both families, the last thing they need to be worrying about right now is funeral costs and medical expenses.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:11 pm 

The stage-end of the auditorium roof collapsed after Crypta finished their set: I read on social media from people who were there (and checks out with press reports of the collapse at 7:47 PM as in the OP link). If a band had been playing when it collapsed would've been much worse. Still tragic for the poor guy who died and the people hospitalised.

There's amazing footage of concert-goers lifting up the portions of the collapsed roof structure to help people be pulled to safety. Absolute antidote to crowd-killing, people going back in the venue to lift up a mass of timbers and shingles to help their fellow fans.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:35 pm 

It sounds like Crypta is in a bit of a tough spot as well:

Quote:
URGENT: We need to fundraise 60k dollars in 15 days.
As most of you know, a tornado hit the venue where we played on March 31st, in Belvidere, Illinois, and we lost the RV we rented to travel and sleep in during our first US tour - it was completely destroyed, we had to rent a new one in order to keep on doing the shows.

As we already imagined, dealing with insurance and compensations has many traps and there is a very high chance that things will get complicated for us.
It will not be as easy as we thought it would be, we will even have to call in lawyers to try to resolve our situation. We are being guided as best we can, but because we are not US citizens, we are apparently not entitled to some state compensation, which further complicates our problem.

In short, if everything goes wrong (and there is a huge chance that it does), in 15 days we will have to pay a new RV to the company where we rent it, which will be around 60 thousand dollars, not counting the lawyer fees we will have to pay during the process.

We know that it is a high amount that we will probably not reach, but at this moment, any help and any amount will already help a lot to reduce the financial damage that we will have.

We avoided asking you for help as much as possible, but right now, it is impossible for us to cover these costs with band's cash only.
Thank you in advance for the support!

CRYPTA

LINK TO DONATE: https://gofund.me/685cd8b4

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:10 pm 

Weird. In what world does a rental RV not come with insurance that covers a natural disaster?

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:39 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Weird. In what world does a rental RV not come with insurance that covers a natural disaster?

Force majeure clauses aren't uncommon.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:18 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

the US I guess

Anyway
https://www.rockrivercurrent.com/2023/0 ... -be-saved/

Quote:
[Fire Chief Shawn] Schadle gave credit to people at the concert for their quick response, working side-by-side with first responders to help the injured. Videos posted on social media show people working together to hoist debris up and help the injured.

“One-hundred percent the bystanders made a difference,” he said. “The community response was amazing. … There were definitely many lives saved yesterday by quick trauma care, quick transport, good triage.”

seems like the venue was outright owned by a local family who work in insurance. not sure what to think, yeah it's good to save a venue, but on the other hand, a chunk of roof shouldn't just fall down during a show and kill someone
https://eu.rrstar.com/story/news/local/ ... 742271007/

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:50 am 

Spiner202 wrote:

Quote:
As most of you know, a tornado hit the venue where we played on March 31st, in Belvidere, Illinois, and we lost the RV we rented to travel and sleep in during our first US tour - it was completely destroyed, we had to rent a new one in order to keep on doing the shows.

As we already imagined, dealing with insurance and compensations has many traps and there is a very high chance that things will get complicated for us.
It will not be as easy as we thought it would be, we will even have to call in lawyers to try to resolve our situation. We are being guided as best we can, but because we are not US citizens, we are apparently not entitled to some state compensation, which further complicates our problem.

In short, if everything goes wrong (and there is a huge chance that it does), in 15 days we will have to pay a new RV to the company where we rent it, which will be around 60 thousand dollars, not counting the lawyer fees we will have to pay during the process.

We know that it is a high amount that we will probably not reach, but at this moment, any help and any amount will already help a lot to reduce the financial damage that we will have.

We avoided asking you for help as much as possible, but right now, it is impossible for us to cover these costs with band's cash only.

CRYPTA

I know sometimes bands really, REALLY don't like disappointing their fans, but given the circumstances, they should just cancel the rest of the gigs and go back home. I'm sure the fans would understand.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:42 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Spiner202 wrote:

Quote:

CRYPTA

I know sometimes bands really, REALLY don't like disappointing their fans, but given the circumstances, they should just cancel the rest of the gigs and go back home. I'm sure the fans would understand.

If they cancelled the tour they would take a huge financial hit, Fernanda said as much on her social media. It's not a viable option for them.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:13 pm 

Bad things continue to happen on this tour, as Trey Azagtoth was hurried to backstage nd Morbid Angel aborted their gig. :ugh: Hope he's doing well.

https://www.soundi.fi/uutiset/huolestut ... n-lyhyeen/

Translated:
"Morbid Angel guitarist Trey Azagthoth, whose real name is George Emmanuel III, had to be rushed off the stage in the middle of the band's concert in Tampa, Florida, on Friday night.

The 58-year-old musician had great difficulty staying on his pole during the song Architect and Iconoclast, and the rowers hurried to take the man backstage.

After a short break, the band's bassist-singer Steve Tucker told the crowd that "Trey hurt himself". After this, the band played one more song.

"I think we're going to hang up the gloves for tonight," Tucker said. “Without a leader… I'm sorry. I love all you punks. Thank you for coming. I hope Trey is okay. We will see you again very soon.”

The concert was part of the band's United States Tour Of Terror, which was supposed to end Saturday night in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. There is no more detailed information about Trey Azagthoth's condition or the fate of the round's final gig at this time."

Last edited by Lane on Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:24 pm 

With the roof collapse due to the tornado, Crypta losing their van, David Davidson breaking his wrist and being unable to play guitar for the rest of the tour, and now Trey collapsing onstage, this tour just seems cursed at this point :(

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:30 pm 

They haven't released a statement about what happened or if Trey is okay, which is worrying.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:11 am 

Some people who attended to that gig said Trey got bad back pain caused by a nerve.

While I saw Trey's interview from about a week ago on Youtube, dude was "in the zone". Meds and alcohol do not fit together. I wish fast recovery to Trey.

I once had nerve causing horrible back pain and had pregabalin ordered by a doctor. I took a couple, sat in the front of my telly, and suddenly noticed that I was laughing out loud while the news were on. It made me understand that "no more of these so called meds for me!" I only use some gels and perhaps regular pain killers, nothing more.

Last edited by Lane on Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:05 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
They haven't released a statement about what happened or if Trey is okay, which is worrying.

His mum did though (nawww)

https://blabbermouth.net/news/morbid-angels-trey-azagthoth-was-dehydrated-and-was-suffering-from-back-injury-when-he-collapsed-his-mother-says

Khalian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:04 am 

I was able to see their show in Ft Lauderdale last night. Trey was present and able to make it through the set with no outward issues. I am not sure if it was a reduced set or not, but they played 11 or 12 songs (mostly latter catalog). I glad to see them perform as I was expecting a high chance of cancelation due to the events of the previous day / show.

Reply to topic