Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:24 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Say what you will but that post is 100% correct that our general understanding/interest in "Norwegian black metal" totally ends around 1998. I've legit never heard a single one of those bands he namedropped and that's a shame that I'll have to rectify. There was a specific moment in time that captured our imagination but yeah it's kinda fucked up that we, as a body, don't seem to have any interest in what's going on in that general sphere nowadays unless it involves somebody who got in early.

Some great recent Norwegian black metal bands:

-Issolei https://terraturpossessions.bandcamp.com/album/cilicium
-Mare
-One Tail, One Head
-Misotheist https://terraturpossessions.bandcamp.co ... misotheist
-Knokkelklang https://knokkelklang.bandcamp.com/album/jeg-begraver

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:33 pm 

Slagmaur and Snorre Ruch are from Norway. Also Dodheimsgard.

Go and see once Slagmaur live.. maybe you'll change the idea that Norwegian BM has really ended with the second wave.
Don't get me wrong, Polish, French, Ukrainian, German scene are nothing short of brilliant, but Norway offers something unique. USBM?
Is like comparing the football played in Premier League vs Turkish League (no offense!).

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:36 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Say what you will but that post is 100% correct that our general understanding/interest in "Norwegian black metal" totally ends around 1998. I've legit never heard a single one of those bands he namedropped and that's a shame that I'll have to rectify. There was a specific moment in time that captured our imagination but yeah it's kinda fucked up that we, as a body, don't seem to have any interest in what's going on in that general sphere nowadays unless it involves somebody who got in early.

Some great recent Norwegian black metal bands:

-Issolei https://terraturpossessions.bandcamp.com/album/cilicium
-Mare
-One Tail, One Head
-Misotheist https://terraturpossessions.bandcamp.co ... misotheist
-Knokkelklang https://knokkelklang.bandcamp.com/album/jeg-begraver

Oh yes, Issolei. Love that band and the way they change patterns from one release to another.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 7:32 pm 

Piece of Mind is the best Irons album

Ps sry i mistake on Waters(he didn’t wear nazi uniform idiots)
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

rarezuzuh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:24 pm 

Durag wrote:
Speaking of scenes, the Dutch BM scene of the past few years has been nothing but brilliant. Fluisteraars been my personal favourite

I agree completely. Fluisteraars and their amazing friends don't get talked about nearly enough.

poormouth100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:03 am 

My perhaps unpopular opinion is that Destruction is clearly the best band of the Teutonic Big Four. I like Sodom and Kreator obviously (have not listened to Tankard enough to form an opinion - should probably rectify that) but I think Destruction had a sense of grace with their musicianship and songwriting that surpasses what the other German bands were doing. Infernal Overkill is a masterpiece of thrash metal.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:43 am 

Regarding "BastardHead"'s opinion on "Norwegian black metal", and since I'm not too fond of smileys, I could only extend to him his own advice. :)

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:47 am 

_flow, at her computer: "Boy this will show that I'm not a completely unhinged fuckin' weirdo!"
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:54 am 

^ As I mentioned in another post, if the general measure of normality here is Tom Warrior, I'd beg to be weird.
And since I assumed that to be so, I though I'd post about another normal human being, Rob Halford. No idea what problem you found there.

I was willing to have an intelligent conversation with you by the way, not a computer. But anyway, if you go out more you might discover Norwegian black metal thriving in the woods.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 12:40 pm 

_flow wrote:
^ As I mentioned in another post, if the general measure of normality here is Tom Warrior, I'd beg to be weird.
And since I assumed that to be so, I though I'd post about another normal human being, Rob Halford. No idea what problem you found there.

I was willing to have an intelligent conversation with you by the way, not a computer. But anyway, if you go out more you might discover Norwegian black metal thriving in the woods.

What are you even on about?

Combing through every Tom Warrior interview and gossip article to prove he is an asshole and saying you're worried about Rob Halford because he is free with his sexuality does make you seem super duper unhinged.

The general measure of normality here is that we try not to discuss musicians' personal lives and put every single deed done and word uttered under a microscope. We try to mostly discuss the music so it's rather weird that you've admitted to never having listened to Celtic Frost but want to discuss their frontman's private life.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 12:45 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Also, 99% of black metal musicians shouldn't touch ambient music. And frankly, if you can't tell me what your favorite Robert Rich piece is, you don't have a valid opinion on the genre.

I'd certainly implore you to tell Satyr directly on his Instagram that he shouldn't touch ambient music and that he doesn't have a valid opinion on black metal.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 12:58 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
_flow wrote:

What are you even on about?

Combing through every Tom Warrior interview and gossip article to prove he is an asshole and saying you're worried about Rob Halford because he is free with his sexuality does make you seem super duper unhinged.

The general measure of normality here is that we try not to discuss musicians' personal lives and put every single deed done and word uttered under a microscope. We try to mostly discuss the music so it's rather weird that you've admitted to never having listened to Celtic Frost but want to discuss their frontman's private life.

The subject of discussion has been whatever the musicians in question have been supplying online - be it interviews or unending selfies. Before deeming me unrestrained, bear in mind I'm not the one feeling desperate to concern the Internet with my love life. I'd personally be more than pleased if Halford stuck to music, but it seems that to him it's a mere expression of his sexuality - both can't be separated, and if you insist otherwise it's not just weird but plainly homophobic. He even wrote a book to iterate how nearly every lyric of his is about gay sex, and how the screaming is erotically-ecstatic. I hardly think he'd appeciate being censored and advised to "stick to music".
Regarding Fischer and his "private life", you seem to have omitted that "there's no difference between Tom Warrior, Celtic Frost, and Triptykon. I don't go out, play music, and then come back to be an ordinary citizen. It's all the same, it's real and it doesn't stop." On that note, I'm quite familiar with Triptykon.

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:03 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Also, 99% of black metal musicians shouldn't touch ambient music. And frankly, if you can't tell me what your favorite Robert Rich piece is, you don't have a valid opinion on the genre.

Hah - I don't even know who he is.

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:09 pm 

_flow wrote:
The subject of discussion has been whatever the musicians in question have been supplying online - be it interviews or unending selfies. Before deeming me unrestrained, bear in mind I'm not the one feeling desperate to concern the Internet with my love life. I'd personally be more than pleased if Halford stuck to music, but it seems that to him it's a mere expression of his sexuality

Rob Halford is a metal legend, and he's also 71 - meaning he's reached an age where he doesnt give a flying fuck what others think. If he wants to post those weird/funny selfies, that's his concern - and you're free to not look at 'em if you don't want to watch it.

I'd say you're unhinged for making a big deal out of what he posts online. And what does it matter if it's a ''mere expression of his sexuality''? That's his business, and considering how far Judas Priest has gotten with these so called ''mere sexual expressions'', I don't think they care too much.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:19 pm 

^ I'm not making a big deal at all, simply noticing. A big deal is to lock the thread.

Anyway, this fixation and ostracising of whatever the notion of "unhinged", is laughable where extreme music is concerned. All these musicians are hardly Chris De Burgh - or is it just the listeners of whom timidity is required?

BillyR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:24 pm 

_flow wrote:
I'd certainly implore you to tell Satyr directly on his Instagram that he shouldn't touch ambient music and that he doesn't have a valid opinion on black metal.

What happens if Satyr has a threesome with Rob Halford and Tom Warrior?

Will you implode?

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:27 pm 

BillyR wrote:
_flow wrote:

What happens if Satyr has a threesome with Rob Halford and Tom Warrior?

Will you implode?

I think Anselmo might like that, but I'm not his fan.

BillyR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:31 pm 

You seem like the kind of level headed person that probably goes through the contents of Mr Halford's or Mr Warrior's bins, gives them 200 heavy breathing phone calls a day and harasses them via 500 different social media accounts.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:33 pm 

^That's called psychological projection.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:58 pm 

_flow wrote:
^That's called psychological projection.

Except for the fact that you’re the one obsessing over musicians personal lives in an extremely unhinged way. You say you wished Rob would just stick to music instead of posting selfies, well I can assure you that we all wish you would just stick to listening to music instead expressing your unhinged complaints about their personal lives.

untappd: patrick_g

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:07 pm 

^ Darling, Mr.Halford doesn't leave much room for the imagination or any room for guessing regarding his private life. I merely forwarded the joy. Regarding any personal interest involved, as someone mentioned, I'm female.
As far as Mr.Fischer, I'll take the night off to ponder why a female might be interested in him privately. PM me with suggestions (but please no pictures).

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:31 pm 

Why would you repost Halford's harmless sexual pics? For what purpose? To what aim?

He's having fun, outside of being the Judas Priest frontman. Those posts do not invite the level of scrutiny you're aiming at them neither do they call for any discussion.

Your whole shtick on this forum is abusrd pointlessness.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:46 pm 

_flow wrote:
^ Darling, Mr.Halford doesn't leave much room for the imagination or any room for guessing regarding his private life. I merely forwarded the joy. Regarding any personal interest involved, as someone mentioned, I'm female.
As far as Mr.Fischer, I'll take the night off to ponder why a female might be interested in him privately. PM me with suggestions (but please no pictures).

Halford declared his homosexuality only in 1998, becoming among other things that hiding it caused him psychic problems and depression and use of drugs and alcohol…

So please!
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:20 pm 

Man you guys have more patience than me. None of _flow's posts have really made sense to me enough to bother with this.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:08 pm 

_flow wrote:

I've read this whole discussion, and at no point did you ever tell us why you're actively following Halford on social media if what he posts bothers you. You have no kind of obligation to look at any of his stuff.

It might bother you that he's so out there and in your face about his sexuality, but you have to understand where he is coming from. There is a lot of homophobia in the world, and it was even worst when he started out in music 50 years ago. When homosexuals celebrate their sexuality in a more public way, it's also a statement. Halford suffered from homophobia and having to hid his sexuality. It caused him psychological issues. Issues that he seems to have worked out since, most likely thanks to the fact that he was able to come out of the closet and be accepted by a fairly big chunk of the metal community. Maybe understand where he comes from, you could be able to understand why now, he wants to fully celebrate his sexuality.

And again, I have to repeat myself here because this is an important detail, I still don't understand why you actively look at what he shares on his social media if you don't like it. Also, I don't see how his lyrics are supposed to be mainly about homosexuality. Just look at the tracklist on Painkiller. Outside of maybe "Leather Rebel", what other song is so blattantly about homosexuality that you can't think of anything else but Rob's dick when listening to these songs? Painkiller? All Guns Blazing? Metal Meltdown? Between the Hammer & the Anvil?

And what if the songs were mostly about homosexuality? It's not their problem if you're not comfortable with that.

LordOfTheGallows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 6:33 pm 

flow is the weirdest poster on this board I swear. Even the thread about Tom Warrior managed to get some shots in at Rob Halford and Judas Priest as a whole (except for Glenn Tipton of course).

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 12:04 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Man you guys have more patience than me. None of _flow's posts have really made sense to me enough to bother with this.

Of course they wouldn't - I have a PhD.

By the way, it just occurred to me where that notion of "unhinged" came from - directly from Halford's book when he refers to fanboys.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 12:06 am 

Lee Harrison wrote:
_flow wrote:

Halford declared his homosexuality only in 1998, becoming among other things that hiding it caused him psychic problems and depression and use of drugs and alcohol…

So please!

I'm more concerned what it caused the underage/'barely legal'/infatuated boys he preyed upon or groomed. Or Holland.

And yet where have I said something against homosexuality? It is you guys who thought you'd shut the thread.
Celebrate it by all means!

Quote:
He's having fun, outside of being the Judas Priest frontman. Those posts do not invite the level of scrutiny you're aiming at them neither do they call for any discussion.

He's not having fun outside of being Priest's frontman, he's having fun as Priest's frontman, inviting unhinged "metal maniacs" to engage. Perhaps pointing that out should not be so absurd.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 12:28 am 

LordOfTheGallows wrote:
flow is the weirdest poster on this board I swear. Even the thread about Tom Warrior managed to get some shots in at Rob Halford and Judas Priest as a whole (except for Glenn Tipton of course).

I might agree it's weird to discuss Rob Halford, so I'll leave you all to the fervent plea for his homoerotic expression.

Ah! Glenn Tipton. I was just about to notice his appearance, but he altered it.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 12:52 am 

_flow wrote:
I'm more concerned what it caused the underage/'barely legal'/infatuated boys he preyed upon or groomed.

Bloody el flow I've been having a good ol chuckle like everybody else so far (or maybe that's nobody else) but wow that's taking it to the next level (or A New Level for the Tera fans out there).

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 2:19 am 

_flow wrote:
I'm more concerned what it caused the underage/'barely legal'/infatuated boys he preyed upon or groomed.

And do you have any kind of proof that he preyed or groomed underage lads?

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 3:19 am 

Number one he came across as total tool in the David Lynch thread

Secondly im confused is the claim that rob halford sexually assaulted people is that the claim thats going on or is it kind of one of those rough sex "can't really claim nothing if you weren't there" type of things

Perhaps.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 3:32 am 

Oh also btw don't ban the flow guy lol I really think he or she I saw something indicating it was a girl I really don't know I think it's just the 16 and into weird shit more than others sydrome which I bet most people around here had so I'll give them a chance lol I think it's funny I'm not the only one who read their posts and thought man that brain needs to develop

Perhaps.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 4:34 am 

This is the worst thing I have reading in these days togheter 28% to Under A Funeral Moon.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 4:57 am 

_flow wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Of course they wouldn't - I have a PhD.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

kovner1972
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 11:21 am 

Stream of consciousness is also an approach to writing messages on a message board...

Cirrus uncinus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 12:48 pm 

So that's the unhealthy obsession with Tom G. Warrior that the forum rules warned me about...

StarshipTrooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 8:55 pm 

In_Zane wrote:
_flow wrote:

And do you have any kind of proof that he preyed or groomed underage lads?

Rob himself confirms one case on his autobiography. It happened in Canada, the kid was 16, Rob "didn't know" until he finished.

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:09 am 

StarshipTrooper wrote:
Rob himself confirms one case on his autobiography. It happened in Canada, the kid was 16, Rob "didn't know" until he finished.

Fair enough - but wouldnt that be legal age though for sex in UK (It's 15 in Sweden)?

Then again, I dont know if the kid consented or not...

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:52 am 

I bet if it was a girl no one would have objected….

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174 ... 221  Next