Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:22 am 

Lee Harrison wrote:
I bet if it was a girl no one would have objected….

Could you elaborate a little more on that point?

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:37 am 

Lee Harrison wrote:
I bet if it was a girl no one would have objected….

Him molesting a girl? Or if a girl did it to the boy?

Pretty sure any sane person would be against sexual assault, no matter who does it.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:26 am 

_flow wrote:
I have a PhD.

Yard sale or gutter?

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:05 am 

Sry I didn’t read that molested a boy,I misunderstood….

Believe was consensual .

My apologies
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:13 am 

In_Zane wrote:
StarshipTrooper wrote:
Rob himself confirms one case on his autobiography. It happened in Canada, the kid was 16, Rob "didn't know" until he finished.

Fair enough - but wouldnt that be legal age though for sex in UK (It's 15 in Sweden)?

Then again, I dont know if the kid consented or not...

Strashiptrooper said it happened in Canada... I don't know the legal age there, but I'd assume they'd more align with the U.S.'s legal age than the U.K.'s. Just pure conjecture though.

BillyR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:34 am 

As far as i know its 16 in Canada.

From my experience's, if you want to pull up every musician who's had sex with someone without checking their age...its going to be a long, long list.

I think this is less about that though, and more _flow's unhealthy obsession with Rob Halford.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:16 pm 

BillyR wrote:

From my experience's, if you want to pull up every musician who's had sex with someone without checking their age...its going to be a long, long list.

I think this is less about that though, and more _flow's unhealthy obsession with Rob Halford.

Age of consent in Canada is 16, but there's like an age gap thing too. So basically, I think 16 years old can consent but like, not to someone older then 24 or 25 or something... So basically it's not legal if you're the age of Halford to have sex with a 16 years old.

Anyhow, it's quite apparent that flow is looking for reasons to hate on Halford, and that him having sex with someone underage once is just an excuse to bitch about him. However, flow's obsession with Halford has nothing to do with his homosexuality, OBVIOUSLY! Stop suggesting otherwise!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:44 pm 

BillyR wrote:

This is the correct answer here. Obviously having sex with people under the age of consent is never a good thing but internationally known rockstars sleeping with fans after shows has been happening since time immemorial and some of them will inevitably lie about their age even if said rockstar is careful to avoid such things. Framing it as preying on and grooming underage boys is 10000% misleading/dishonest and namedropping Dave Holland at the same time is absolutely just poisoning the fuckin' well. Halford sleeping with a fan that he later learned was younger than he previously believed isn't even in the same fucking ballpark as Holland abusing a disabled teenager that he had taken on as a student.

Flow is an obsessive weirdo with a nakedly unhealthy obsession with a handful of musicians (seriously nearly half of her posts involve Judas Priest in some fashion and it could well be more because I'm not about to suss out if every post that mentions "priest", "halford", and "tipton" all overlap or not but it's likely they don't) who flipped the conversation to be about some misleading bullshit and y'all took that bait hook, line, and sinker.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:21 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Flow is an obsessive weirdo with a nakedly unhealthy obsession with a handful of musicians (seriously nearly half of her posts involve Judas Priest in some fashion and it could well be more because I'm not about to suss out if every post that mentions "priest", "halford", and "tipton" all overlap or not but it's likely they don't) who flipped the conversation to be about some misleading bullshit and y'all took that bait hook, line, and sinker.

I don't go scrutinizing individuals post history to look for these kinds of things. To be honest, I never noticed flow had that kind of obsession before the last few pages of this very thread.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:01 pm 

Believe me it's been noticeable for years, and if anybody thinks that me spending twenty seconds to input some terms into the search function to highlight it makes me the weird one then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:17 pm 

I never said you're weird. I said you can't really blame us for not knowing that this is something she does regularly. I'm a regular here, and never put enough attention on her posts enough to notice this was a recurring theme for her. Maybe I just don't post in the same threads she does. I don't know. But I never noticed.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:59 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
I never said you're weird. I said you can't really blame us for not knowing that this is something she does regularly. I'm a regular here, and never put enough attention on her posts enough to notice this was a recurring theme for her. Maybe I just don't post in the same threads she does. I don't know. But I never noticed.

I just randomly clicked here.
You are buying into someone who claims another is "obsessive", but hasn't stopped talking about me for a couple of days as it seems, visibly enraged about something. Furthermore, I'm "weird" because whenever I decide to post here, it is about the few metal musicians I'm familiar with: Judas Priest and some black metal bands. I don't find it necessary to explain why I talk about this or the other, but beside Judas Priest, I've obviously also discussed Satyricon, Samael, Melechesh, Metal Church, Enslaved, etc. - some of them in depth. Others - humorously, just for fun.

Lastly, this is a person who justifies grooming.
NO, it is not alright for a "rock star" to take advantage of a young fanatic - EVEN if they're not underage, let alone if they are. It isn't just "weird", it's sickening and often punishable. The whole premise that a fanatic did something to "impress" an "idol" and therefore they're not a victim, is alarming to say the least.

By the way, these are some posts from Priest's official Facebook:

"Happy birthday Glenn! You changed my life forever when I met you at 13. I had horrible self-esteem. But you put your pick in my hand and held it there and said, "You have great charisma". And I said "I love you" and you said, sincerely, "I love you too"..."

"Glenn stared at me the whole time... I couldn't believe it, and especially what happened next. I went to take a picture with him and he was so tender... He held me, he kissed me... I can't describe what happened between us... magic. He called me "My pretty girl"..."

The "argument" that "this has been happening since time immemorial" is clearly nill.

P.S. Dave Holland expressed in court that he was bisexual and assumed the kid to be the same (!!), hence they could be fond with each other.

Last edited by _flow on Mon May 29, 2023 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:07 pm 

_flow wrote:
Lastly, this is a person who justifies grooming.
NO, it is not alright for a "rock star" to take advantage of a young fanatic - EVEN if they're not underage, let alone if they are. It isn't just "weird", it's sickening and often punishable. The whole premise that a fanatic did something to "impress" an "idol" and therefore they're not a victim, is alarming to say the least.

When did Halford groom young fans? The meere act of having sex with a young fan is not reprehensible by and of itself. Now, yes, of course, power dynamics can be involved, and the fans can make bad decisions, but unless you have some kind of proof that Halford did groom and manipulate young fans into having sex with him, shouldn't we just let adults decide what's good for them?

I'm not denying the possibility that you might be right here, but maybe put some evidence forth to support what you're saying?

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:25 pm 

No, I obviosuly don't have proof that Halford had sex with underage fans, but he did have sex with very young fans (his first book is all about it), and yes, there are power dynamics involved. Even if the fans aren't underage; grooming doesn't only pertain to manipulating children.
"Adult" should pertain to someone emotionally mature, and these brainwashed fans rarely are.
Furthermore, "grooming is when someone builds a relationship, trust and emotional connection with a young person so they can manipulate, exploit and abuse them" - don't Priest call their fans "family" and "kids"? Pardon, not fans, "metal maniacs".
In his own book, Downing admits that he can't have a mature relationship and a major reason he left was that "it became dreary towards the end, with no young groupies anymore".
Priest themselves obviously still live in the 80s, because they haven't taken down stuff like this from ther official media:

Btw, Tipton grabbed my hand after a gig and squeezed my fingers unti it hurt (yeah, probably because I'm "obsessed") - I decided to forget about it and look at it humorously (I should've called him out). The entitlement in many of these guys is astonishing.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:34 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
I'm not denying the possibility that you might be right here, but maybe put some evidence forth to support what you're saying?

Don't say that. She's gonna post random pics, cite quotes with no sources, and/or show that page about Halford banging in a toilet stall again.

Pre-post edit: Lol damn, quickest trigger finger in the west.

Flow, you need to walk away and cool off. I locked a thread because it was a completely worthless collection of pics. If you want to post stuff like that, just use the FFA thread in the tavern, that's what it's for. If you had a point you were trying to make, nobody knows wtf it was because you speak in aimless cryptic circles and make connections in your own kaleidoscopic brain that no other humans in the galaxy are privy to. I made a snide comment when locking said thread, which, sure, is probably rude, but is nothing even remotely close to a "big deal". You then ran to a different, unrelated thread to take shots at me in retaliation, got clowned on by like half a dozen people, and then started throwing around accusations that Rob Halford is a fucking child molester and that I, some random dork on the internet, am apologizing/running cover for him.

Seriously. Take a break.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:52 pm 

Okay, um... moving on from that weird drama between flow and Judas Priest, I personally think Windir debut "Sóknardalr" deserves a lot more credit than people generally give it. Not saying that people are thinking it's bad or anything, but I don't see it being revered as their later works. Songs like Det som var Haukareid and Likbør are what I consider to be top-tier songs within their discography.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:05 pm 

This is all great fun I have to say

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:14 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Okay, um... moving on from that weird drama between flow and Judas Priest, I personally think Windir debut "Sóknardalr" deserves a lot more credit than people generally give it. Not saying that people are thinking it's bad or anything, but I don't see it being revered as their later works. Songs like Det som var Haukareid and Likbør are what I consider to be top-tier songs within their discography.

Likferd is my fav album of them…

Isn’t much revered as the second and the third…
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

StarshipTrooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:26 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Wilytank wrote:
On that note, gatekeeping is a good thing. The fact that we have people running around trying to assert that Burzum's prison albums are actually good means it's not being done enough.

given Varg's atrocious opinions and statements

I'm more concerned about what he DID.

kovner1972
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:32 pm 

flow = Evil Judith ?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:38 pm 

StarshipTrooper wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Wilytank wrote:
On that note, gatekeeping is a good thing. The fact that we have people running around trying to assert that Burzum's prison albums are actually good means it's not being done enough.

given Varg's atrocious opinions and statements

I'm more concerned about what he DID.

Well this is why it's difficult to talk about that stuff, since nobody approaches it in good faith. Like you're implying I'm somehow OK with murder just because I said (on the first page a long time ago) that I hated his racism. It's that super online "you either have to take into account every single argument the first time you post, or you're wrong" shit. So tiresome...

StarshipTrooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:05 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Well this is why it's difficult to talk about that stuff, since nobody approaches it in good faith. Like you're implying I'm somehow OK with murder just because I said (on the first page a long time ago) that I hated his racism. It's that super online "you either have to take into account every single argument the first time you post, or you're wrong" shit. So tiresome...

Fair enough. To me, actions are always more important that opinions. But I get your point.

Also, sorry for the necro-quote. I thought it was a recent post lol

KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:22 pm 

I don't know if no one else has expressed these opinions, but I've got two that aren't very popular.

1) Of Iron Maiden's 80's albums, I consider Number of the Beast to be my least favorite. It's still a really good, fun album, but I think it suffers from being a transitional album and doesn't offer the best of both worlds. Compared with the Di'Anno albums, it's too polished to have the same type of raw satisfaction and compared to the later 80's albums with Dickinson, it doesn't have the same type of grandiose feeling of adventure, so it kind of sits within this awkward middle-ground where you can hear the band re-adjusting before their final evolution. Like I said, it's still a good album, and I'd say it's better than anything Maiden made after the 80's (and I'm a fan of most of that too), but I reach for the other 80's albums they made before NotB.

2) I think Vivian Campbell is a very overrated guitarist, and sometimes I'm tempted to say most overrated. Holy Diver is a great album, and even on the other albums he made with Dio, Campbell came up with some great riffs and solos, but what great guitar parts has he created since leaving Dio? When people say "No Randy, No Ozzy", I understand that, because as much as I like some of the stuff Ozzy made with Jake E. Lee and Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhoads was such a one-in-a-million talent that almost anyone else would have paled in comparison. Vivian Campbell, however, is no Randy Rhoads no matter how much some people try to make him seem that way. He's by no means a hack, but I think he's very lucky that Dio hired him.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:29 pm 

KeeperOfTheMissingLink wrote:
1) Of Iron Maiden's 80's albums, I consider Number of the Beast to be my least favorite. It's still a really good, fun album, but I think it suffers from being a transitional album and doesn't offer the best of both worlds. Compared with the Di'Anno albums, it's too polished to have the same type of raw satisfaction and compared to the later 80's albums with Dickinson, it doesn't have the same type of grandiose feeling of adventure, so it kind of sits within this awkward middle-ground where you can hear the band re-adjusting before their final evolution. Like I said, it's still a good album, and I'd say it's better than anything Maiden made after the 80's (and I'm a fan of most of that too), but I reach for the other 80's albums they made before NotB.

I see where you're coming from. However, as far as transitional albums go, I'd argue that NOTB already set a standard for the signature sound in the Bruce Dickinson era, and that sound would only be improved upon even more as they progressed in the decade.

poormouth100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:09 am 

Every single one of the first seven Maiden albums are classics, but yeah I think I tend to agree that Number of the Beast isn't one of their absolute best albums. Think I'd rate it above Killers at least, though.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:33 am 

Transitional album are the best!!!!!

Hell Awaits and Ride The Lightning are transitional albums,A Blaze in the northern sky

KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:52 am 

poormouth100 wrote:
Think I'd rate it above Killers at least, though.

That's interesting. Most people I see who are really into Maiden rate Killers as one of their best and give it the edge over NotB. But hey, this is the forum for unpopular opinions.

KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:56 am 

Lee Harrison wrote:

Hell Awaits and Ride The Lightning are transitional albums,A Blaze in the northern sky

I think the last time I was going through Slayer's discography, Hell Awaits ended up being my least favorite of their 80's catalogue as well (though, it still rules), but that was a while ago and I might feel differently today.

firelord_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 6:39 am 

Hell Awaits is a little harder to appreciate due to the mix, but it's epic thrash done phenomenally right. Definitely one of the earliest albums that fused haunting dynamics with cool thrash riffing, the intro/outro groove says it all really. I also think it's an uneven comparison with either of their adjacent albums, Show No Mercy also nails what it sets out to do and Reign in Blood, well, suffice to say it's the best thrash album of '86 and that wasn't exactly an idle year for the genre.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:20 am 

Lee Harrison wrote:

I think the last time I was going through Slayer's discography, Hell Awaits ended up being my least favorite of their 80's catalogue as well (though, it still rules), but that was a while ago and I might feel differently today.

For me it’s the best thrash album all time

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:21 am 

Slater922 wrote:
I personally think Windir debut "Sóknardalr" deserves a lot more credit than people generally give it. Not saying that people are thinking it's bad or anything, but I don't see it being revered as their later works. Songs like Det som var Haukareid and Likbør are what I consider to be top-tier songs within their discography.

Sóknardalr is a ripping album, and I actually find myself revisiting this more than any of the others these days. But so hard to compare, they're all immense

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:44 am 

Lee Harrison wrote:

I don't think I'd normally agree with "transitional albums are best," but that's exactly how I feel about the Therion albums Symphony Masses and Lepaca Kliffoth.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 11:10 am 

Lee Harrison wrote:

Some transitionnal albums are good, but there are some terrible ones. It's too "hit or miss" for me to really say that they are mostly good or mostly bad. However, A Blaze In The Northern Sky is a great example of a solid transitionnal album, for sure!

In a completely different subgenre, All that Remains released The Fall Of Ideals in 2006. A solid transitionnal album between their more traditionnal metalcore/melodic death metal era material and their more mainstream pop metalcore/hard rock era. It's their last good album, and it's probably the best of their entire discography. Oh, and Oli Herbert's wife obviously murdered him, I have no clue why she's not behind bars yet.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 11:29 am 

Blood,Fire and Death
Symphonies of the Sickness
Obscura
Coma of Souls
Gutter Ballet
Arise
The Headless Children
Imaginations from the other side

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:18 pm 

2) I think Vivian Campbell is a very overrated guitarist, and sometimes I'm tempted to say most overrated. Holy Diver is a great album, and even on the other albums he made with Dio, Campbell came up with some great riffs and solos, but what great guitar parts has he created since leaving Dio? When people say "No Randy, No Ozzy", I understand that, because as much as I like some of the stuff Ozzy made with Jake E. Lee and Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhoads was such a one-in-a-million talent that almost anyone else would have paled in comparison. Vivian Campbell, however, is no Randy Rhoads no matter how much some people try to make him seem that way. He's by no means a hack, but I think he's very lucky that Dio hired him.

I think I kinda agree. About every Dio guitarist brought something to the table and sounded different, yet always offered high quality moments. Some of my favourite guitar work in the Dio realm is actually Robinson's on "Lock Up the Wolves" who's basically a one-off unknown entity in the music world.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

BillyR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:24 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:

Hell yes! The transitional albums are always the most interesting as it usually a mix, like a cocktail you have not tasted before.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:35 pm 

Doug Aldrich is secretly the best Dio guitarist ever.

KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:31 pm 

I don't have any hard rules about transitional albums. Some are the band's best work in my eyes (e.g Alice Cooper's Welcome to My Nightmare or Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys), while others aren't, even if they're still great albums. I'm thinking that maybe the appeal of transitional albums is that they're introducing new ideas or genres to the band's sound, and compared to the later albums where it becomes their established formula, that transitional album sounds novel by comparison.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:46 pm 

What we call transitional albums can only be considered that in hindsight, meaning that when they come out, we hardly ever think of them as transitional. It's only when the band has released one or a few more albums afterward that we can pinpoint that one album that was a kind of in-between two sounds, two distinctive eras of a band. While this may be obvious, I want to mention this first, because these albums to be good transitional albums, have to be good standalone albums. They have to be good as a self-contained and complete piece of art. But they also have to be good at linking two different sounds. Often time, it's the stylistic richness of the album that will make it standout as a solid transitional album, because it combines a lot of elements of maybe different genres, different subgenres or whatnot. They seem more remarkable because we tend to be able to pinpoint these key elements and see how well they mix together.

I guess that's why I love albums like Blood Fire Death, or A Blaze In The Northern Sky, so much. Blood Fire Death, I always thought of has being part of the black metal era of Bathory, until I've talked with people who consider it the first viking metal album. Nowadays, I consider it to be both and belonging to both eras of Bathory. And quite frankly, I think it's the best Bathory album. I feel somewhat the same about ABITNS, as it was genuinely very much a departure of death metal to dwell into black metal territory. It marks a departure from the sound of Soulside Journey, and is very much one of the pioneering albums of the 2nd wave of bm. However, there is still death metal in there. It's especially noticeable with the drumming. I don't know if I'd call ABITNS the best Darkthrone album, but it's most likely my favorite.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:50 pm 

I don't have any hard rules about transitional albums. Some are the band's best work in my eyes (e.g Alice Cooper's Welcome to My Nightmare or Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys), while others aren't, even if they're still great albums. I'm thinking that maybe the appeal of transitional albums is that they're introducing new ideas or genres to the band's sound, and compared to the later albums where it becomes their established formula, that transitional album sounds novel by comparison.

Oh, and I wanted to answer this post but forgot. In the case of Helloween, I'm sorry I have to do this, but I have to, haha! I think that the Keepers album are not only good transitional albums, but they are also significantly better then the following two albums. The fact that Pink Bubbles Go Ape and Chameleon are so mediocre surely helps the Keeper albums to standout in comparison.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175 ... 221  Next