Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:12 pm 

Where's our extra 10 votes for the greatest and bestest decade in metal ya Bastard?

This gonna be a nightmare.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:31 pm 

Manilla Road - Out of the Abyss
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
Satan - Court in the Act
Death Angel - The Ultraviolence
Def Leppard - High n Dry
Manowar - Into Glory Ride
Fates Warning - The Spectre Within
Flotsam and Jetsam - Doomsday for the Deceiver
Voivod - Killing Technology
Anthrax - Among the Living

I can't split them. Not really sure if this is my true order, but it's so tight. Bands like Diamond Head, Overkill, Warlord, Venom, Slayer, Helloween, Kreator, Saxon, Metallica (who will get enough votes here anyway) Black Sabbath, Mortal Sin, Blitzkrieg and so many more were so close to making it.

I suspect in previous polls that group polarization featured heavily, and I am curious to see if the same trend happens again.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Last edited by Terri23 on Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
77hjrttfred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:26 pm 

I knew the poll was coming so I have been re-listening to a lot of the 80s albums. A couple dropped off the list and a few added. This is the first time I have put two albums from one band (Iron Maiden). To be honest, I was a bit reluctant to do it but in the end I had to as I regard them as in my top 10. Here it goes:

1. Metallica – Ride The Lightning
2. Iron Maiden – Somewhere In Time
3. Iron Maiden – The Number Of The Beast
4. Faith No More – The Real Thing
5. Manowar – Sign Of The Hammer
6. Death Angel – The Ultra-Violence
7. Sodom – Persecution Mania
8. Dark Angel – Darkness Descends
9. Kreator – Extreme Aggression
10. Candlemass – Ancient Dreams

The interesting thing to note is that I don’t listen to a lot of these groups nowadays, as far as their modern material. A number of the above groups hit their peak in the 1980s in my opinion.

I am supremely interested in which Maiden album will come out on top. I think they are going to have a huge amount of vote splitting.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:46 pm 

77hjrttfred wrote:
I knew the poll was coming so I have been re-listening to a lot of the 80s albums. A couple dropped off the list and a few added. This is the first time I have put two albums from one band (Iron Maiden). To be honest, I was a bit reluctant to do it but in the end I had to as I regard them as in my top 10. Here it goes:

The interesting thing to note is that I don’t listen to a lot of these groups nowadays, as far as their modern material. A number of the above groups hit their peak in the 1980s in my opinion.

I am supremely interested in which Maiden album will come out on top. I think they are going to have a huge amount of vote splitting.

I'd like to see two tables at the end. One for albums, and another for bands. Like you, bands like Maiden and Metallica will likely suffer from vote splitting. Both bands overall will likely receive a huge number of votes. It's not the intended spirit of the poll, but would be interesting to see nonetheless.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:31 pm 

Naming When Dream And Day Unite as your number 1 in a decade where Don't Break The Oath also came out is fucking crazy yet I feel the urge...

MarkTheSharkDogMan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:44 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
77hjrttfred wrote:

I'd like to see two tables at the end. One for albums, and another for bands. Like you, bands like Maiden and Metallica will likely suffer from vote splitting. Both bands overall will likely receive a huge number of votes. It's not the intended spirit of the poll, but would be interesting to see nonetheless.

It wouldn't be too difficult to show which band received the most votes, or had the most points, or had the largest variety of albums. It'd be cool to see it broken down by genre and country too.

A rough guess of my list in no order would be:

Manilla Road - The Deluge
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
Manilla Road - Open the Gates
Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian
Queensryche - Operation Mind Crime
King Diamond - Abigail
Bathory - Blood Fire Death
Voivod - Nothingface
Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

I have a feeling I'm forgetting a bunch of albums though.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:00 am 

This is a tough one alright... here's my current short list (no repeat bands):

Bathory - Bathory
Sodom - Agent Orange
Candlemass - Nightfall
Voivod - Dimension Hatross
Saint Vitus - Born Too Late
Slayer - South of Heaven
King Diamond - Abigail
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
Black Sabbath - The Mob Rules
Death - Leprosy
Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Venom - Welcome to Hell

Although I love their 80's material, I didn't consider Rush despite them being on the archives. Same goes for the debut Suicidal Tendencies album and Detestation by G.I.S.M., I love both but they're more punk than metal.

Bronze Age
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:51 am 

I agree this is a tough one. Just trying to gather my thoughts here.

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell or Mob Rules
Judas Priest - British Steel
Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian or No Exit
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Yngwie Malmsteen - Marching Out
Anthrax - Fistful of Metal
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime or Warning
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 1
Watchtower - Control and Resistance

That said; Scanner, Mekong Delta, Rage, Running Wild, Jag Panzer, Sanctuary, Helstar, Sormwitch, Omen, Agent Steel, Savage Grace, Manowar, Virgin Steele, Slayer, Megadeth, Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, Alcatrazz, Exciter, Riot, Savatage and many others have released classics that I love and enjoyed so much over the years. So difficult to just list 10.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:05 am 

Terri23 wrote:

Strange choice there Terri.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:09 am 

Gotta wonder if a certain tour is gonna help a certain album out in this poll.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:48 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Terri23 wrote:

Strange choice there Terri.

That one and The Courts of Chaos are my two favourite Manilla Road records. I like the thrash direction they went in. It's not going to win, but it'll get 25 rando points.

Riffs wrote:

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:09 am 

Holy sweet jesus. How the fuck am I going to do this. :lol:

Have fun everyone. I'm going for a deep dive to gather my thoughts on... well just a shitload of amazing releases really.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:10 am 

Well, the first half of the list is easy because Bathory and Judas Priest take care of it.
Now, the second part, that’s where the decision gets more difficult: Death released its two legendary demos (I like them better than the actual LPs), Carcass was on fire, Napalm Death released its best material, then there’s fucking Seven Churches… Shit.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:59 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Gotta wonder if a certain tour is gonna help a certain album out in this poll.

Well, Somewhere in Time was always going to be my number one, not just this decade, but any decade.

Other choices will probably include Operation Mindcrime, Reign in Blood, A Sultan's Ransom and a couple of others I'm mulling about.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:16 am 

BastardHead wrote:

1 = 25 points
2 = 18 points
3 = 15 points
4 = 12 points
5 = 10 points
6 = 8 points
7 = 6 points
8 = 4 points
9 = 2 points
10 = 1 point

That may seem confusing and semi random for people who don't follow F1, but the idea of the point system being set up the way it is is that consistency is valued over a lucky win. So an album with twenty third place votes will fare better than one with ten first place votes.

I just wanted to point out that such staggered point system is aimed at exactly the opposite - higher place brings more reward, especially the win. One lucky win counts more than ten consistent 9th places.

A linear point scale, i.e. 1st = 10 pts to 10th = 1 pt is far more rewarding for consistency. Using the original example:

20 x 15 = 300
10 x 25 = 250
300/250 = 120%

20 x 8 = 160
10 x 10 = 100
160/100 = 160%

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:47 am 

Off the top of my head:

1. Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
2. Metallica - Master of Puppets
3. Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metalicus
4. Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part I
5. Mercyful Fate - Melissa
6. Pentagram - Day of Reckoning
7. Legend (UK/Jersey) - Legend
8. Manowar - Battle Hymns
9. Pagan Altar - Pagan Altar (1982 demo)
10. Dio - Holy Diver

Runner ups:
Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
Manowar - Sign of the Hammer
Pentagram - Relentless
Metallica - Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz, Diary of a Madman

Actually, thinking about taking out Pagan Altar, and sliding Mob Rules in at number 2...

EDIT: shit, forgot about Emerald's Armed For Battle, which will absolutely be in there..... probably bumping Holy Diver off for that...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:06 am 

mirons wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

1 = 25 points
2 = 18 points
3 = 15 points
4 = 12 points
5 = 10 points
6 = 8 points
7 = 6 points
8 = 4 points
9 = 2 points
10 = 1 point

That may seem confusing and semi random for people who don't follow F1, but the idea of the point system being set up the way it is is that consistency is valued over a lucky win. So an album with twenty third place votes will fare better than one with ten first place votes.

I just wanted to point out that such staggered point system is aimed at exactly the opposite - higher place brings more reward, especially the win. One lucky win counts more than ten consistent 9th places.

A linear point scale, i.e. 1st = 10 pts to 10th = 1 pt is far more rewarding for consistency. Using the original example:

20 x 15 = 300
10 x 25 = 250
300/250 = 120%

20 x 8 = 160
10 x 10 = 100
160/100 = 160%

Yeah I've never been able to quite put into words precisely the type of weighting that I'm aiming for and why (and you're right that that sentence kinda runs counter to the intent and I'm surprised nobody has pointed out how little sense it makes until now, lol), but I think the best way I can describe what I want is that, if you're considered the best out of all the thousands of eligible albums, then hell yeah you deserve some sort of a bonus. I want the quality of what is chosen to factor in more than a flat popularity contest, which is what always happens to an extent anyway but would be greatly exacerbated if the point margin was flattened. They never wind up winning the polls but there are always a handful of albums with way less visibility that wind up pretty high up in the ranks because they got half the amount of votes but were all placed at or near the top on their respective ballots. Maybe my wording is weird but I consider that to be consistency. Less about the raw number of times something is voted for and more about how high up it is consistently placed.

I always forget if I remembered to edit this into the OP but I used to break ties by whatever had higher vote placement but it led to some weird scenarios where there would be two albums with 43 points, one of which had a #1 and #2 while the other would have nine votes spread all over the place. It felt super weird and wrong to give the tiebreak to the former album because that feels like a lucky break instead of a consistent victory, so nowadays I break ties by vote total first, and then placement (so the 2 vs 9 votes scenario would break in favor of the latter, but if they both had 5 votes and one of them had a #1 placement, then it breaks in their favor). If that feels contradictory then I'm just gonna have to ask you to get math out of your brain and replace it with vibes, man.

tl;dr - I'm never gonna satisfy everybody and tinkering with the system after like seven years is just tinkering for the sake of it so nah.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

nephilim80
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:10 am 

1. Metallica - Master of Puppets 86
2. Iron Maiden - Powerslave 84
3. Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance 82
4. Mercyful Fate - Melissa 83
5. Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus 86
6. Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys part II 88
7. Dio - Holy Diver 83
8. Motorhead - Ace Of Spades 80
9. Slayer - Reign in Blood 86
10. Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness 89

Extremely hard to do and left so many great albums out. But yeah, i'm happy with these.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:01 am 

There is a very good chance my list will end up having all 4 Metallica LPs on it. I just cannot combat the amount of nostalgia and importance they've had on - not only my journey as a metal fan - but kind of life in general. They're the one band that has been consistently on my stereo through all my "musical phases" since the early 90s when I became a fan.

But wow: Dio, Sabbath, Maiden, Motorhead, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Helloween, Bathroy, Carcass, Morbid Angel, Death, King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Judas Priest, Venom, Kreator all had MULTIPLE albums that could have made my list as well, and then obviously dozens of bands with one great record in that era.

Yikes. Going to wait until June 30 to send this.

Ace_Rimmer
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:04 am 

Hmm some are easy some aren't. And because its all albums on the site my list may have one or maybe two that aren't quite totally metal, which will annoy some people I know. Rush I'm looking at you!

Not sure about the order...

Slayer - Reign In Blood
Megadeth - Peace Sells
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Morbid Angel - Alters of Madness

Could still knock one out..

Motorhead - Ace of Spades
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast, Seventh Son
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
Metallica - Kill 'Em All
Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Ozzy Osbourne - The Ultimate Sin
St. Vitus - Born Too Late
King Diamond - Abagail
Death Angel - The Ultra-violence
Anthrax - Among the Living
Manowar - Hail to England
Danzig - Danzig
Testament - The New Order
Bathory - Blood Fire Death
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance, Defenders of the Faith

Tough one...

Last edited by Ace_Rimmer on Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:40 am 

Just gonna vote for Turbo and be done with it ;-)

Adder's Fork plays: Love Decay - Liv Kristine Cover - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:56 am 

Even though the 80s is by far the best decade for metal, I weirdly think this list will be easier for me to come up with. The top 5 or so are already set in stone, and even the remaining 5 probably won't be too hard to pick out once I look through my collection.

I think the fact that there's less diversity in styles really helps. It's really hard to compare albums of totally different subgenres sometimes, whereas the 80s is largely thrash or heavy metal (with a few exceptions, of course, but it's not like there are 100 death metal or Euro power metal albums to pick from).

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:05 pm 

I'm working on my short list and I'm realizing how little 80's metal I actually listen to on a semi regular basis. I've never cared that much about pure heavy metal so a lot of historic 80's bands have never been my thing, and the pioneering death/black metal of that era - while historically significant and worthy of praise, has always been eclipsed by the 90's so I end up listening to that instead.

I'm gonna end up with three or four Slayer albums at the top because they're the one 80's band on regular rotation. :lol:

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:27 pm 

Reid wrote:
Although I love their 80's material, I didn't consider Rush despite them being on the archives. Same goes for the debut Suicidal Tendencies album and Detestation by G.I.S.M., I love both but they're more punk than metal.

Suicidal Tendencies is crossover thrash though, so it would actually make sense to pick their debut. G.I.S.M. is an hardcore punk band, but there is definitely some thrash and heavy metal on their debut. But Rush... they are very much a progressive rock band. No idea why anyone would pick Rush albums for a top 10 metal albums of the 80's.

But it's the same for every single one of these polls. There's always people who pick albums that are clearly not metal, like the latest Ulver or Anathema record, but these bands have a page on MA because they were once metal bands. I don't get it, really. It's not like there's ever a shortage of great metal albums to pick from, especially when it comes to picking the best out of an entire decade, especially one as fruitful as the 80's. But eh, people are allowed to pick whatever albums they want for their ballot.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:42 pm 

This is my list:

1. Tiamat - Sumerian cry
2. Bathory - Under the sign of the black mark
3. Repulsion - Horrified
4. Mayhem - Deathcrush
5. Sarcofago - I.N.R.I.
6. Death - Scream bloody gore
7. Amon - Feasting the beast
8. Napalm Death - From enslavement to obliteration
9. Merciless - The awakening
10. Obituary - Slowly we rot

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:51 pm 

Well that didn't take long...

1) Iron Maiden s/t (could have been any of the classics though)
2) Metallica 'Kill em all'
3) Slayer 'Reign in blood'
4) Sodom 'Agent orange'
5) Death 'Scream bloody gore'
6) Morbid Angel 'Altars of madness
7) Whiplash 'Power and pain'
8) Overkill 'Feel the fire'
9) Megadeth 'Killing is my business... And business is good'
10) Bolt Thrower 'Realm of chaos'

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:52 pm 

1. Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
2. Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
3. Slayer - Reign in Blood
4. Trouble - Trouble (Psalm 9)
5. Venom - Black Metal
6. Manowar - Hail to England
7. Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark
8. Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
9. Running Wild - Death or Glory
10. Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian

Probably going to settle on something resembling the above list. I was tempted to put in Motorhead's 'Another Perfect Day' but it's more of a hard rock album than a metal one (so, those of you voting for punk albums should take heed, hah) and 'Ride the Lightning' but I figure my votes could spent better elsewhere. Of course, it's hard work and short-list would have been ridiculously long.

Underrated ten that won't get many votes:
- Stormwitch - Stronger than Heaven
- Blaspheme - Desir de Vampyr
- Raven - Rock 'til you Drop
- Queensryche - The Warning
- Pokolgep - Pokoli Szinjatek
- Dark Quarterer - debut
- Tyrant - Too Late to Pray
- Holy Terror - Mind Wars
- Sempiternal Deathreigh - The Spooky Gloom
- Tormentor - Anno Domini

If you haven't all of these - please do check them out!

https://soundcloud.com/user-800688188/e ... nom-rockin - Eerie evaluation episode 2: a podcast discussing Venom.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:55 pm 

DecemberSoul wrote:
This is my list:

1. Tiamat - Sumerian cry

From June, 1990? Also... really? It's an alright album, but they became so much better.

https://soundcloud.com/user-800688188/e ... nom-rockin - Eerie evaluation episode 2: a podcast discussing Venom.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:15 pm 

Don't Break The Oath is my number 1, everything else is still up in the air. This is gonna take a while.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:38 pm 

This will definitely be tough for me, it's arguably my favorite decade for metal though 90s comes close. It has all of Manilla Road (my favorite band)'s best albums, plus a bunch of classic USPM. Not entirely sure yet, but my list will probably look something like this:

1) Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian
2) Slauter Xstroyes - Winter Kill
3) Adramelch - Irae Melanox
4) Manilla Road - The Deluge
5) Dark Quarterer - The Etruscan Prophecy
6) Omen - Battle Cry
7) Crimson Glory - Crimson Glory
8) Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
9) Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
10) Overkill - Feel the Fire

As usual, it's basically all heavy/power metal except for Overkill, which has a lot of heavy metal in it for a thrash record anyway. I usually try to limit to one album per band but those two Manilla Road albums are both favorites and it's quite hard to narrow it down to just one for those. A lot of other albums could have/might still take some of the lower slots of course, a bunch of other albums are in my consideration, such as:

Sacred Blade - Of the Sun and Moon
Helstar - Nosferatu
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
Satan - Court in the Act
Blind Guardian - Battalions of Fear
Tyrant - Too Late to Pray
Liege Lord - Master Control
Screamer - Target Earth
Sacred Oath - A Crystal Vision
Full Moon - Full Moon

I'm sure most of them will be pretty far down the list if not rando, as usual, as the resident USPM uber-nerd, though Awaken the Guardian is pretty well-regarded all around and I've already seen some folks mention Crystal Logic, so who knows. Slayer's Show No Mercy almost made the cut for consideration for me, but as with RiP in the 90s poll, there's going to be so many votes for Slayer already that I'd rather pick something else to shine the spotlight on at the end of the day.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

devil1111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:23 pm 

Metallica - Master of Puppets
King Diamond - Abigail
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Venom- Black Metal
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Manowar- Kings of Metal
Exodus - Bonded by Blood
Ozzy - Blizzard of Ozz

AuthorOfWoh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:14 pm 

I've been thinking about my list since last year and it has since come down to;

1. Sanctuary - Refuge Denied (1988)
2. Mercyful Fate - Don't Break The Oath (1984)
3. Voivod - Killing Technology (1987)
4. Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness (1989)
5. Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction (1984)
6. Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion (1985)
7. Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus (1984)
8. Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell (1980)
9. Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead (1984)
10. Savatage - Hall Of The Mountain King (1987)

...and SENT! LONG LIVE WARREL DANE!

milosh111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:44 pm 

I've been thinking about this list since the last one, so I made top 30. One album per band was the toughest part, but I decided to stick with it for variety's sake. And while I'm still unsure about exact order of the top 10, this is probably it:

01. Metallica - Ride the Lightning
02. Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion
03. Slayer - South of Heaven
04. Death - Leprosy
05. Iron Maiden - Powerslave
06. Motorhead - Ace of Spades
07. Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
08. Godflesh - Streetcleaner
09. Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
10. Bathory - Under the Sign of Black Mark

11. Ministry - The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste
12. Metallica - Master of Puppets
13. Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
14. Slayer - Reign in Blood
15. Coroner - Punishment for Decadence
16. Metallica - ...and Justice for All
17. Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
18. Melvins - Gluey Porch Treatments
19. Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
20. Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying
21. Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
22. Bulldozer - Neurodeliri
23. Ministry - The Land of Rape and Honey
24. Venom - Black Metal
25. Death - Scream Bloody Gore
26. Holy Moses - Finished with the Dogs
27. Bathory - Blood Fire Death
28. Autopsy - Severed Survival
29. Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
30. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

p.s. Hope I'm not the only one voting for Godflesh...

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:06 pm 

milosh111 wrote:
p.s. Hope I'm not the only one voting for Godflesh...

You're not, I can guarantee you that. I have them firmly cemented.

For all the post-rock kids and -core crowd who can't find much to like in this decade, Streetcleaner should be your number 1.

Or at least Killing Technology.

rarezuzuh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:49 pm 

1. Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath (1984)
2. Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark (1987)
3. Cloven Hoof - A Sultan's Ransom (1989)
4. Satan - Court in the Act (1983)
5. Pentagram - Day of Reckoning (1987)
6. Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith (1984)
7. Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos (1989)
8. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden (1980)
9. Death - Scream Bloody Gore (1987)
10. Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell (1980)

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:17 pm 

mirons wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

1 = 25 points
2 = 18 points
3 = 15 points
4 = 12 points
5 = 10 points
6 = 8 points
7 = 6 points
8 = 4 points
9 = 2 points
10 = 1 point

20 x 15 = 300
10 x 25 = 250
300/250 = 120%

20 x 8 = 160
10 x 10 = 100
160/100 = 160%

https://racingnews365.com/formula-1-rul ... ring-in-f1

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:31 pm 

1. Metallica - ...And Justice for All (1988)
2. Plasmatics - Coup d'État (1982)
3. Girlschool - Hit and Run (1981)
4. Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations (1980)
5. English Dogs - Where Legend Began (1986)
6. Candlemass - Ancient Dreams (1988)
7. Mercyful Fate - Melissa (1983)
8. Stratovarius - Fright Night (1989)
9. Danzig - Danzig (1988)
10. Tygers of Pan Tang - Wild Cat (1980)

I worked this one out a few years ago on another forum. I had RTL & KEA at 7th & 8th, but truly don't need to put those drips in the cauldron here when two other bands could use the points. One album per band here gives a rather accurate picture of just how much more I enjoy AJFA over the other two.

Almost made the cut:
Metallica - Kill 'em All
Candlemass - Nightfall
Megadeth - Killing Is My Business... and Business Is Good!
Overkill - The Years of Decay
Suicidal Tendencies - How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:12 am 

This is my list so far:

1. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime (1988)
2. King Diamond - Abigail (1987)
3. Metallica - Ride the Lightning (1984)
4. Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast (1982)
5. Blind Guardian - Battalions of Fear (1988)
6. Dio - Holy Diver (1983)
7. W.A.S.P. - The Headless Children (1989)
8. Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (1986)
9. Metallica - Master of Puppets (1986)
10. Blind Guardian - Follow the Blind (1989)

Haven't submitted yet, because I'm doing some relistening to reevaluate how I feel about some albums that didn't make the cut. I doubt the list will change, since I hold all these albums dear, but you never know. Gotta be sure about these things, y'know?

ColdWindRider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:41 am 

My list:

1. Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time (1986)
2. Slayer - South Of Heaven (1988)
3. Mercyful Fate - Don't Break The Oath (1984)
4. King Diamond - Abigail (1987)
5. Dark Angel - Darkness Descends (1986)
6. Bathory - Blood Fire Death (1988)
7. Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion (1985)
8. Dio - Holy Diver (1983)
9. Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness (1989)
10. Death - Leprosy (1988)

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:00 am 

10) Venom - Prime Evil
9) Bathory - The Return
8) Sadus - Illusions
7) Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
6) Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos
5) Exodus - Fabulous Disaster
4) Testament - The Legacy
3) Sabbat - Dreamweaver
2) Accept - Restless And Wild
1) Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time

This one was fairly easy for me, but there would be at least 50 honourable mentions. The closest ones for me are Witchfinder General's Death Penalty, and Virtue's We Stand To Fight.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next