Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:49 am 

I found new 7H Target to be really fun, no it's not the old one but it's silly as hell in a way I enjoyed a lot.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:54 am 

ZenoMarx wrote:
still no new Havukruunu

They had one not long ago.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:56 am 

I'm not a big fan, but i thought new Arghoslent was their best stuff since Galloping Through the Battle Ruins.

SmallPoxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:03 am 

I believe the reason why new GBK sucked ass was because Gelly was saving his riffs for the Slent.
I thought new Slent was good but did felt inferior compared to other works.

Other dissapointments includes: Myrkur? More like BOREKUR!

New Iskandr and Grift were good but the dissapointing thing is that they were not metal albums.

And no new Scald either, I get that they are taking their time and that Will of the Gods set the bar way too high but still :C

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:18 am 

LilTito wrote:
7 H. Target is a new band now, not in a good way

Sadly, I have to agree. I liked their earlier brand of slam brutal death, but the new album seemed too by-the-numbers for me to enjoy it as much. I ended up skipping it altogether. I have hope they'll recreate what they did almost 10 years ago but I'm not holding my breath.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:54 am 

joppek wrote:
this might be an unpopular opinion but probably the biggest one for me is the continuing decline of horrendous

That album sure as fuck isn't good but it has been their goal since 'Ecdysis' and now they are so so so close to finally casting off the yoke of death metal. They just need to drop the silly vocals and their transcendence will be complete.

All the usual stuff that I expected to suck this year did (Horrendous, Cattle Decapitation, Frozen Soul etc.) but there were two genuine disappointments:

'Homicidal Ecstasy' by Sanguisugabogg was pretty flat and forgettable. On paper it is exactly what you would want from them but man the execution and songs just didn't hit. Maybe I had just the right levels of brain damage going on when I kept listening to 'Tortured Whole' the other year? Bummer either way.

'We Cater to Cowards by Oozing Wound. This one really hurt because 'High Anxiety' felt like the pinnacle of their thrash metal / noise rock blend, so much so that it honestly might be one of my favourite thrash metal records of the decade (low bar I know). But unfortunately the new album is a very clear departure from that formula and exploration of some other sounds: it feels like a marked retreat towards noise rock while somehow eschewing the weird shit they played in Cacaw and just really dialling in some subpar ideas and riffs. There are some alright tracks but it is very easily their worst in what has been a until now an unblemished discography.

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:25 am 

I'm upset that we still don't have the new Wormlust album (and that it's unclear what's exactly going on with Mystískaos more generally). It also technically came out right at the end of 2022, but I don't remember seeing anyone discuss it until the very end of 2022 and start of 2023 (and I seem to be alone in this opinion), but I'm disappointed by how firmly entrenched Misþyrming is in their direction since Algleymi.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:21 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
ZenoMarx wrote:
still no new Havukruunu

ThStealthK
Indiana Jones

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:22 am 

Since I don't expect anything from anyone, there were no disappointments for me. It's all about learning quickly.

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:54 am 

MikeyC wrote:
LilTito wrote:

Sadly, I have to agree. I liked their earlier brand of slam brutal death, but the new album seemed too by-the-numbers for me to enjoy it as much. I ended up skipping it altogether. I have hope they'll recreate what they did almost 10 years ago but I'm not holding my breath.

Unless the other two founding members and whatever new guys they get can figure it out, it might not make a comeback. Their main songwriter left some time back. Before I realized the lineup change, new 7 H.Target was my disappointment of the year. Guess old mate not only took their signature style with him, but also any kind of songwriting chops.

Last edited by Demon Fang on Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:57 am 

MikeyC wrote:
LilTito wrote:

Check out Paroxysm Unit, it's basically new old 7H

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:17 pm 

HighwayCorsair wrote:
Forever Underground wrote:
HighwayCorsair wrote:
New Lamp was awesome! Certainly not mediocre in any way.

He left behind his own style of atmospheric raw black metal with goth influences in which he was shining for an unfunny copy paste of At Hearth of Winter with a deplorable drum production, a massive step backwards.

I can't stand the earlier stuff- thought the whole instagrabbable raw black metal thing was an awful trend. Definitely not my thing, though I won't deny he was better at it than most.

I enjoyed Lamps older stuff but yeah, the whole melodic / raw bm stuff that he was a part of was mostly pretty bad. I like buying vinyl so naturally I joined the black metal vinyl subreddit and honestly, some of the label drops that everyone gets excited about there is some of the worst black metal ive ever heard. Hyped up over Instagram and being of very limited availability on only vinyl does not make something worth the ridiculous prices these labels charge.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:19 pm 

Evoken wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
I'm genuinely surprised that people still expect anything from her. Her debut was extremely overhyped and turned out to be mediocre pseudo black metal for people who don't like black metal. The following records were minor improvments, but still mediocre and nothing to write home about. I'm genuinely curious as to why you'd expect the 4th release to be significantly better.

I'm of the opinion that Myrkur is at her best when she's ditched the metal completely and goes into the folk / Nordic music territory. My favorite albums from her are Folkesange and the Mausoleum live album for those very reasons. I had my hopes pretty high for the new album after how much I enjoyed Folksange, and the couple non-album singles she released in 2020 and 2021.

On "Spine", she's got one foot in black metal and one foot in slightly 80s influenced pop/rock, and it just doesn't work for me. The metal feels very forced, and the pop stuff isn't anything special - and worse yet the production is bizarre with the metal sounding weak and badly recorded, and the pop/rock parts sounding better produced.

I absolutely love "Spine". I feel like calling her or this album metal is a stretch, but I love all of it.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:36 pm 

ThStealthK wrote:
Since I don't expect anything from anyone, there were no disappointments for me. It's all about learning quickly.

Word.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:15 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
ThStealthK wrote:

Word.

That's a nice idea, but I really doubt that anyone doesn't feel at least some dissapointment when their favorite band drops a weak/subpar record.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:22 pm 

Durag wrote:
HighwayCorsair wrote:
He left behind his own style of atmospheric raw black metal with goth influences in which he was shining for an unfunny copy paste of At Hearth of Winter with a deplorable drum production, a massive step backwards.

I can't stand the earlier stuff- thought the whole instagrabbable raw black metal thing was an awful trend. Definitely not my thing, though I won't deny he was better at it than most.

I enjoyed Lamps older stuff but yeah, the whole melodic / raw bm stuff that he was a part of was mostly pretty bad. I like buying vinyl so naturally I joined the black metal vinyl subreddit and honestly, some of the label drops that everyone gets excited about there is some of the worst black metal ive ever heard. Hyped up over Instagram and being of very limited availability on only vinyl does not make something worth the ridiculous prices these labels charge.[/quote]

That's why it saddens me more, clearly he was a brute talent in that style, if I had changed it for something better I would accept it but I don't feel like that, and what I find most incredible is that it has been the latter that has given it notoriety, accessibility wins over quality by what it seems, although some keep saying that the scene is full of "tryhards" and "gatekeepers".

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:52 pm 

Demon Fang wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
LilTito wrote:

Unless the other two founding members and whatever new guys they get can figure it out, it might not make a comeback. Their main songwriter left some time back. Before I realized the lineup change, new 7 H.Target was my disappointment of the year. Guess old mate not only took their signature style with him, but also any kind of songwriting chops.

I wasn't keeping up with the line-up changes, but what you said makes sense. They might do better on their next one, but if the main songwriter is gone, it might be a hard task.

LilTito wrote:
Check out Paroxysm Unit, it's basically new old 7H

Way ahead of you. Heard it multiple times and I really like it. :D

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Xandaphon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:06 pm 

I've personally been disappointed in the lack of any news from Wintersun. In a world full of divisiveness, I took heart in the metal community rallying around the common goal of shitting all over them. I feel like we lost that this year.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:24 pm 

I am disappointed that Tony Iommi did not reissue the Tony Martin albums.

jackies_eclaire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:30 pm 

- Not exactly a disappointment since I wasn't expecting much, but Immortal's new album was a new low since Abbath left. No hate to Demonaz for keeping with it but there's just nothing memorable at all about anything after All Shall Fall.

- Tomb Mold; their LP's have always been worse than their demos, but I was really excited after Aperture of Body came out only for the full-length to completely disappoint with "proggy" aspects that added nothing to boring material to begin with.

- Been waiting on a new Derkéta album for a while, supposedly they planned to record in 2023, but I guess they haven't yet or otherwise haven't released or announced anything.
https://linktr.ee/cultofoblivion

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:28 am 

Xandaphon wrote:
I've personally been disappointed in the lack of any news from Wintersun. In a world full of divisiveness, I took heart in the metal community rallying around the common goal of shitting all over them. I feel like we lost that this year.

The ridiculous time limited instrumental djent "song" was this year. We got our laffs.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:10 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Xandaphon wrote:

The ridiculous time limited instrumental djent "song" was this year. We got our laffs.

WHAT?! Why did no one page me about this sooner? Sounds like Jari auditioning for Northlane and I really hope the boys took notice. He could use the work.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:15 am 

ZenoMarx wrote:
lennonlikesmetal wrote:
ZenoMarx wrote:
still no new Havukruunu

That is recent.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:31 am 

zeingard wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:
Xandaphon wrote:

WHAT?! Why did no one page me about this sooner? Sounds like Jari auditioning for Northlane and I really hope the boys took notice. He could use the work.

I can't release anything without a sauna I'm too much of a perfectionist - Jari

I'm not gonna bother getting any other band members in for this two minute rhythm only snippet "song" I didn't bother doing vocals for and am selling it for $10 but only for six months for fomo - Also Jari.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:30 am 

jackies_eclaire wrote:
- Not exactly a disappointment since I wasn't expecting much, but Immortal's new album was a new low since Abbath left. No hate to Demonaz for keeping with it but there's just nothing memorable at all about anything after All Shall Fall.

My expectations for this weren't huge since neither Abbath nor Demonaz have impressed me much with their solo work but this was still disappointing to me. Just too run-of-the-mill.

cultofkraken wrote:
MeavyHetal wrote:
Maybe i need to give it some more spins but the new Enslaved doesn’t seem to have the same amount of staying power as their other prog/black material

Yes I was digging hard for disappointment. This is one for me. I like it… but it just doesn’t do that much for me. Usually multiple listens will reveal an Enslaved album for me but lately it doesn’t seem to matter it just falls flat.

By far the biggest disappointment for me this year. Like you say, usually the material grows on me with more listens to the point where their albums consistently make top 5 on my year end lists, but not a single track on this album maintained my interest. I'm gutted.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:27 am 

It has to be Urfaust resigning for me, especially after release one of their best releases to date. Sucks.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:36 am 

Xandaphon wrote:

There was something else that flew under the radar a bit - Teemu Mäntysaari (Wintersun guitarist) has been the touring guitarist of Megadeth this year, filling in for Kiko Loureiro. But recently it seems like Kiko is out and Teemu has joined Megadeth as a full time member, and who can blame him? Wintersun is just wasting his time and talents, while Megadeth actually records albums and tours consistently.

Makes me wonder how long until he announces his departure from Wintersun to focus on Megadeth. Or how long before Jari starts using Teemu's absence as an excuse why they haven't released any new music.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:41 pm 

Evoken wrote:
Xandaphon wrote:

There was something else that flew under the radar a bit - Teemu Mäntysaari (Wintersun guitarist) has been the touring guitarist of Megadeth this year, filling in for Kiko Loureiro. But recently it seems like Kiko is out and Teemu has joined Megadeth as a full time member, and who can blame him? Wintersun is just wasting his time and talents, while Megadeth actually records albums and tours consistently.

Makes me wonder how long until he announces his departure from Wintersun to focus on Megadeth. Or how long before Jari starts using Teemu's absence as an excuse why they haven't released any new music.

I like how Jari manages to sneak into these kind of threads regardless of if he released new material or not :lol:

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:50 pm 

Evoken wrote:
Xandaphon wrote:

Oh god - if Teemu needs to take on a gig as Megadeth's guitarist, that also must mean Wintersun's Patreon isn't bringing in enough money to let them focus on making music, which is ANOTHER reason Time 2 will be delayed.

Last edited by Auch on Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:41 am 

It's pretty funny thinking of Megadeth as just some side gig he'd take because he was broke due to Wintersun not doing anything.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:48 am 

The new Obituary album.
I was really looking forward to it but it just fell completely flat for me. I keep trying in case I'm missing something, especially seeing the considerable praise it's been getting, but nah.
Also no Bolt Thrower reunion yet :(

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:10 am 

Jon Oliva's injury delaying (further) Savatage's farewell album and tour.

I am also tired of hearing generic copycat bands, mainly in the true/trad/nwobhm/mercyful fate clones style...

poormouth100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:46 am 

SmallPoxie wrote:
I believe the reason why new GBK sucked ass was because Gelly was saving his riffs for the Slent.
I thought new Slent was good but did felt inferior compared to other works.

Other dissapointments includes: Myrkur? More like BOREKUR!

New Iskandr and Grift were good but the dissapointing thing is that they were not metal albums.

And no new Scald either, I get that they are taking their time and that Will of the Gods set the bar way too high but still :C

Yeah I've been looking forward to a new Scald album ever since I heard they were working on one. It will never be the same without Agyl's otherworldly vocals, but I'm still very keen to see what it sounds like.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:33 pm 

zeingard wrote:
All the usual stuff that I expected to suck this year did (Horrendous, Cattle Decapitation, Frozen Soul etc.) but there were two genuine disappointments

Bands you already disliked releasing music you don't like doesn't count as "disappointment". You even seem to aknowledge that your take is disingenuous in the next sentence before naming your two actual disappoitments.

As a fan of Frozen Soul, I can safely say it's an amazing album. They took everything that worked on their debut, cranked it up a notch, and delivered a massice album.

And the new Horrendous seems to be very popular in the band's fanbase.

However, I know the new Cattle Decapitation has been divise to the fans though.

Hecatomb867
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:23 am 

Seems to be pretty well liked on here, but Sulphur Aeon for me. Gateways and Scythe of Cosmic chaos were my AOTY's for their respective years. The new one is decent but wouldn't crack my top 20, let alone top 10. I love atmosphere and melody as much as anybody but I like my death metal to have some grit and Seven Crowns might just be the least aggressive death metal-adjacent album ever made.

Was also pretty thoroughly let down by Lamp of Murmuur. That project had a very cool and unique thing going on the earlier demos and first couple full-lengths. The new "At The Heart of Murmuur" thing was fun for a few spins but the novelty wore off pretty fast.

And lastly, another year with no new Dead Congregation and I'm beginning to worry that we'll never get another one (A.V. isn't exactly a young man anymore).

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:52 am 

Hecatomb867 wrote:
And lastly, another year with no new Dead Congregation and I'm beginning to worry that we'll never get another one (A.V. isn't exactly a young man anymore).

It'll come, Admittedly it's a whole year ago now but they played a new song live then. So there's at least some intention to get something done.

greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:45 pm 

Katatonia's new album came in one ear and out the other. There is more passion and emotion in their re-recording of those two demo songs from 1992, in which they tease us by proving they can play extreme metal if they want to.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:24 am 

Hecatomb867 wrote:
Seems to be pretty well liked on here, but Sulphur Aeon for me. Gateways and Scythe of Cosmic chaos were my AOTY's for their respective years. The new one is decent but wouldn't crack my top 20, let alone top 10. I love atmosphere and melody as much as anybody but I like my death metal to have some grit and Seven Crowns might just be the least aggressive death metal-adjacent album ever made.

That's also how I felt about it upon first few listens. Not a bad album, but the previous two albums I loved immediately. But with repeated listens, the new album grew on me. It might even end up being on my top 10. But yeah, I get where you're coming from.

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:28 am 

Hecatomb867 wrote:

Was also pretty thoroughly let down by Lamp of Murmuur. That project had a very cool and unique thing going on the earlier demos and first couple full-lengths. The new "At The Heart of Murmuur" thing was fun for a few spins but the novelty wore off pretty fast.

As generally not much of a death metal fan that explains why I like Seven Crowns I guess lol

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:35 am 

greywanderer7 wrote:
Katatonia's new album came in one ear and out the other.

That describes their last 3 or 4 albums, to my ears. Used to love this band so it's disappointing, for sure.
None of these records are necessarily bad, just not very memorable.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next