Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
InsaneSniper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:37 pm 

My list's mostly done, but as always I'll send it near the end of the month. Got a lot of re-listening to do, plus there's Gotsu Totsu Kotsu album coming out in a couple weeks, which could perhaps sneak in as well.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:05 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
The ballot has been officially expanded to 150 but I'll stop counting points after the #10 spot

:lol:

milosh111 wrote:
Afterbirth - In but Not Of
Blut aus Nord - Disharmonium - Nahab
Dødheimsgard - Black Medium Current
Panopticon - The Rime of Memory
Sulphur Aeon - Seven Crowns and Seven Seals
Tomb Mold - The Enduring Spirit

And it will be tough to choose! So far, I'm only 100% sure for Dødheimsgard, Cruciamentum and Panopticon...

The new Afterbirth and Tomb Mold are decent enough, but will most likely not land in my final top 10.

The new Dødheimsgard and Blut Aus Nord are also quite solid. Might be contenders but are not currently in my top 10.

I'm considering the Panopticon and Sulphur Aeon records for my top 10, with Panopticon being almost assured a spot.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
1. Panopticon – The Rime Of Memory

How amazing is that record!

I have a long drive ahead of me (Minnesota to Dallas) and Panopticon's entire discog is just perfect for the miles. He's from these parts too so this will be my homage.

Winter's Ghost - what a song!

This dormant slumber
In peace and waiting
Laid in repose
For breath abating

Panopticon is one of my all time favorite bands, and the new album really didn't disappoint. I always have high expectations with Lunn's work, and he somehow always manages to deliver. Winter's Ghost gives me big emotion rushes every time I listen to it. How crazy beautiful is that track!

thewrll wrote:
Unless things vastly change, I guess my complete rando is not this year either.

Yeah, that Ebony Pendant is pretty damn solid, I don't think it's going to drop out of my top 10 during the month. It's just too damn good. It's crazy that musicians still find a way to write relatively traditionnal black metal, while still making it as sharp and efficient as this. The performance and songwriting is just so damn on point!

Raven_Augustus wrote:
It's been a pretty great year. I was certain Dødheimsgard would be #1 easily, but the new Panopticon is definitely a contender. I also have some albums yet to check out, like the new project from Blasphemer (Mayhem's old guitarist), Tulus' album, and I guess I should check out the Enslaved album although I haven't found them really convincing with their latest albums/EPs.

I'm expecting the new Dødheimsgard to perform very well in this year's poll, especially here on MA. It ticks every box that the regulars here seem to like in black metal. It's rooted in 2nd wave black metal tradition, but incorporates enough industrial and avant-garde elements to make it stand out quite well, and the songwriting is on point. It's not in my top 10, but it's a solid album for sure.

And yes, please, give even more love to Panopticon. The guy deserves it!

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:49 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
There's a lot of overlap between your list and mine. A lot of good stuff in there. I might have to check some other of your picks!

Thanks for the interest. If you are into the dissonant type of sonic melting pots, I really recommend you to check out the albums from Ingonimy and Mithridatum. This latter's album was the most streamed release by me this year according to my spotify account.

I have also checked your list and there are plenty of albums which I know I want to dwell into more, like Sulphur Aeon's or Thantifaxath's.

So much could change during December, for example I just discovered today Unlightenment by Deathcode Society and after the first listen, it might become a really strong contender.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:18 pm 

Bachstein wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
There's a lot of overlap between your list and mine. A lot of good stuff in there. I might have to check some other of your picks!

Thanks for the interest. If you are into the dissonant type of sonic melting pots, I really recommend you to check out the albums from Ingonimy and Mithridatum. This latter's album was the most streamed release by me this year according to my spotify account.

I have also checked your list and there are plenty of albums which I know I want to dwell into more, like Sulphur Aeon's or Thantifaxath's.

So much could change during December, for example I just discovered today Unlightenment by Deathcode Society and after the first listen, it might become a really strong contender.

I'll definitely check out Ignominy and Mithridatum, as I'm a big fan of bands like Ad Nauseam, Gorguts, Ulcerate, Imperial Triumphant and Nightmarer.

Thanks for the recs!

Quick edit: Just started playing the Mithridatum album, and I'll be damned if these guys didn't listen to a lot of Ad Nauseam themselves. There's also a lot Deathspell Omega in there.

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:43 am 

Got this list for now but I'm definitely checking this thread for recommendations nonetheless.

10. Xoth - Exogalactic
9. Vision Master - Sceptre
8. Invicta - Triumph and Torment
7. Conjureth - The Parasitic Chambers
6. Angra - Cycles of Pain
5. Protean Shield - Protean Shield
4. Meutrieres - Ronde de nuit
3. Triumpher - Storming the Walls
2. Demoniac - Nube negra
1. Excalion - Once Upon a Time

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:16 am 

So glad to have two Washington bands on my list, Ebony Pendant and Returning.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:47 am 

fucking hell, my shortlist has 41 albums :lol: gonna be difficult to whittle this down to 10, plus there's a few contenders to hear still, like gotsu totsu kotsu, and varathron

i'm sure at least demoniac and vastum are gonna end up in the final list, but other than that, i have no idea... xysma's comeback album would definitely make it as well, but even though they are eligible given past releases, i'm not gonna vote for them as it's really not a metal album

in chronological order (of my first listening to them - not necessarily release order)
Spoiler: show
Ὁπλίτης - Ψ​ε​υ​δ​ο​μ​έ​ν​η
Vosbúð - Heklugjá
Dryad - The Abyssal Plain
Irae Satanail - Gnosis Necrosófiga
Pyramid Mass - Monolith
Mithridatum - Harrowing
Häxanu - Totenpass
Theophonos - Nightmare Visions
Azaghal - Alttarimme on Luista Tehty
Enslaved - Heimdal
Runemagick - Beyond the Cenotaph of Mankind
Bonjour Tristesse - Against Leviathan!
Old - Dawn Of Darkness
VoidCeremony - Threads of Unknowing
Ὁπλίτη - Τρωθησομένη
Tanith - Voyage
Danava - Nothing But Nothing
Enforced - War Remains
Decipher - Arcane Paths to Resurrection
Heretic Plague - Context is a Stumbling Corpse
King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation
Kypck - Преступления против человечества
Begravement - Horrific Illusions Beckon
Fleshvessel - Yearning: Promethean Fates Sealed
Demoniac - Nube Negra
Reverence to Paroxysm - Lux Morte
Ningen-Isu - 色即是空
Girlschool - WTFortyfive
Vórtize - Desde Bajo Tierra
Ὁπλίτης - Ἀ​ν​τ​ι​τ​ι​μ​ω​ρ​ο​υ​μ​έ​ν​η
Cirith Ungol - Dark Parade
Thy Catafalque - Alföld
Autopsy - Ashes, Organs, Blood, and Crypts
Wayfarer - American Gothic
Suffocation - Hymns from the Apocrypha
Asagraum - Veil of Death, Ruptured
Tomb Mold - The Enduring Spirit
Vastum - Inward to Gethsemane
Desecresy - Deserted Realms
Miserere Luminis - Ordalie
Korgonthurus - Jumalhaaska

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:05 pm 

1 = Sól Án Varma - Sól Án Varma
2 = Khanate - To Be Cruel
3 = Marthyrium - Through The Spheres Of Darkness
4 = Odz Manouk - Bosoragazan (Բոսորագազան)
5 = Odz Manouk - Ծուռ (Tzurr)
6 = Voidescent - Dust And Embers
7 = Cruciamentum - Obsidian Refractions
8 = Fossilization - Leprous Daylight
9 = Thanatomass - Hades
10 = Spirit Possession - Of the Sign…

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:30 pm 

Just some great shit that came out this year but not exactly top 10 or couldn't be;

Gorod, the other 2 'Oplitis albums, Trichomoniasis, Passeisme, Sarmat, Blut Aus Nord, Entropia, Neo inferno 262, Krallice - Pourous resonance abyss, Autarkh, Impetous Ritual, R'luhh, URANIUM, Baring Teeth, Vertebra antlantis, Horrendous, Spirit Possession, Orthank, The Ocean - Holocene, Petrale etc. there's soooo much good shit, especially dm, 2023 will be known as the year of death metal

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:41 pm 

Yeah, right now I'm just posting all the stuff that I like a good deal, but ultimately fell short of the cutoff for the shortlist thus far.

Impetuous Ritual
Blut aus Nord
Vertebra Atlantis
Sulphur Aeon
Infernal Angels
Horrendous
Thantifaxath
Majesties
Cruciamentum
Ruin Lust
Nixil
Mephorash
Trivax
Deletere

and a few others. Plus there's been a bunch of hype reissues that came out this year. Obviously, they're not eligible for aoty, but I'm happy I could finally add a few Hypocrisy albums, Funeral's Tragedies, and Techno Animal's Re-Entry (Justin Broadrick side project from the late 90s/early 00s) to my collection.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:30 pm 

My likely incomplete shortlist because I tend to discover a lot of awesome stuff I missed through this thread evey year. In no particular order:

Insomnium - Anno 1696
Shining - Allt För Döden
Enslaved - Heimdal
Ahab - The Coral Tombs
Dryad - The Abyssal Plain
Dawn Ray'd - To Know The Light
Katatonia - Sky Void of Stars
Baroness - Stone
Autopsy - Ashes, Organs, Blood And Crypts
Cattle Decapitation - Terrasite
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation
Kalmah - Kalmah
Horrendous - Ontological Mysterium
Thantifaxath - Hive Mind Narcosis
Taake - Et Hav av Avstand
Acid King - Beyond Vision

AlienZombie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:36 pm 

So far I've liked 36 albums/EP's/splits enough to purchase this year. I've been going back through stuff in anticipation of this list, and I'm mostly there, but need some more time with a few of them. And haven't gotten a few I've already ordered yet.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:42 pm 

Can complain without partecipate or i must?

Too many albums again ….

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:02 pm 

Am I the only one who has the feeling that Blut Aus Nord is going to do much worse than last year despite the fact that their album this year was slightly better than the last one?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:08 pm 

Forever Underground wrote:
Am I the only one who has the feeling that Blut Aus Nord is going to do much worse than last year despite the fact that their album this year was slightly better than the last one?

You could be right. I haven't even listened to the album fully yet because I've found everything after Memoria Vetusta III to be average retreadings of earlier works.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:42 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:

Too many albums again ….

What the absolute what?

milosh111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:23 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
1 = Sól Án Varma - Sól Án Varma

Well, my short list wont get shorter yet, cause this is another contender, great atmosphere and even better balance between dissonance and melody...

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:54 pm 

I found Nahab to be quite a bit worse than Undreamable. Just a bit too abstracted and mood based, not really "songy" enough. It's very much for soundscape enjoyers only.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:11 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:

Too many albums again ….

No you can't complain if you don't vote Lee. But hey. you've got 4 weeks to whittle the year down to 10 albums.
As the great wise man Rob Schneider once said "You Can Fuckin Do It!".

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:44 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:

Too many albums again ….

No you can't complain if you don't vote Lee. But hey. you've got 4 weeks to whittle the year down to 10 albums.

You mean former great wise man?

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:14 pm 

thewrll wrote:
MetlaNZ wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:

Too many albums again ….

You mean former great wise man?

Shit you gave me a scare dude. I had to go check and see if he was dead but thankfully the man, the legend, Rob Schneider was indeed still alive and well. Hopefully working on the sequels to The Animal, Hot Chick and Deuce Bigalow 3, which I'm sure will be a masterpiece and his crowning achievement.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:44 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
So true story: I'm in bed, cuddling with my wife, and at 11:55, barely seconds away from falling asleep, I shoot straight up and scramble out of bed. She startles awake and, in a panic, asks what's wrong. I tell her I didn't make the poll thread. She blankly stares through the darkness at me for about three full seconds. She calls me a fucking nerd.

You fucking nerd.

You will get my list when you pry it from my cold dead hands. That is, on the 31st of December before I egregiously poison myself, as per tradition.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:58 pm 

It's been quite the year for releases in the melodeath/doom sub-genre so I imagine a lot of my top 10 will include some subset of these albums:

Aetherian - At Storm's Edge
Insomnium - Anno 1696
Slow Fall - Obsidian Waves
Hinayana - Shatter and Fall
October Tide - The Cancer Pledge
Décembre Noir - Your Sunset | My Sunrise
Shores of Null - The Loss of Beauty
Ocean of Grief - Pale Existence
Fires in the Distance - Air Not Meant for Us
Before the Dawn - Stormbringers
On Thorns I Lay - On Thorns I lay
Kaunis Kuolematon - Mielenvalta

Others vying for top 10:

Ne Obliviscaris - Exul
Andy James - Fury From Above
Damnation Plan - The New Horizon
Scar Symmetry - The Singularity (Phase II: Xenotaph)
Immortal Guardian - Unite & Conquer
Ghosts of Atlantis - Riddles of the Sycophants
Diviner - Avaton
Raven Banner - Rise Up Clan
Blood Star - First Sighting
Ignition - Vengeance
Kalmah - Kalmah
Shylmagoghnar - Convergence
Bloodred Hourglass - How's the Heart?
Pyramaze - Bloodlines
Sacred Outcry - Towers of Gold

There haven't been as many "for sure top 10" albums this year as previous years for me but I think that probably speaks more to the volume of great releases. I guess it is a good problem to have but I feel like there isn't enough time in the day to listen to all the music I'd like to.

Ritual Abuse Hysteria
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:45 pm 

1. Thumos - Symposium
2. Starer - Wind Breeze or Breath
3. Mnajdra- Mnajdra
4. Glyph - The Time of Peril
5. Mistral - In the Throes of Losing Love
6. Sarcoptes - Prayers to Oblivion
7. Telesterion - Epopteia
8. Immortal - War Against All
9. Primordial - How it Ends
10. Enslaved - Heimdall

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:10 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:

I found Nahab to be quite a bit worse than Undreamable. Just a bit too abstracted and mood based, not really "songy" enough. It's very much for soundscape enjoyers only.

I share a similar sentiment. Quite purely, Undreamable is more catchy and memorable, while Nahab is more ambient based and soundscape-y, but it's close. Just too strong competiton this year; it'll probably me in my top 20 or so honorable mentions

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:27 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:

Too many albums again ….

but I'm in bad shape, I'm confusing the records released in 2022 and those released this year…

I bother everyone and on the last day I send a list…

Yes last Blut Aus Nord it’s just a good one…

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:33 am 

Order is not set and a few could get bumped, but this is a rough top ten so far

Рожь - В​с​ё
Faidra - Militant : Penitent : Triumphant
Wayfarer - American Gothic
Wolvennest - The Dark Path To The Light
Afsky - Om hundrede år
Efraah Enhsikaah - One Thousand Vultures Waiting To Be Fed
Torpor - Abscission
Ûkche​â​ns​â​l​â​wit - Mjijaqamij
Ufomammut - Crookhead
Melancholia - Book of Ruination

Velmu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:56 am 

Here mine top 20ish in random order.

Voidescent - Dust and Embers
Krieg - Ruiner
Disimperium - Grand Insurgence upon Despotic Altars
Marduk - Memento Mori
Primordial - How It Ends
Tetragrammacide - Typho-Tantric Aphorisms from the Arachneophidian Qur'an
Spirit Possession - Of the Sign...
Angrenost - Magna Lua Ordem Mistica
Conjureth - The Parasitic Chambers
Blut aus Nord - Disharmonium - Nahab
Impetuous Ritual - Iniquitous Barbarik Synthesis
Ch'ahom - Knots of Abhorrence
Clandestine Blaze - Resacralize the Unknown
Runemagick - Beyond the Cenotaph of Mankind
Thanatomass - Hades
Dying Fetus - Make Them Beg for Death
Taake - Et hav av avstand
Sól án varma - Sól án varma
Thy Darkened Shade - Liber Lvcifer II: Mahapralaya
Ascended Dead - Evenfall of the Apocalypse
Cruciamentum - Obsidian Refractions
Arnaut Pavle - Transilvanian Glare
Desecresy - Deserted Realms

Im still waiting for few December releases so there might be some changes in top 10, but my top 3-5 is almost set in stone.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:08 pm 

Ι think 2023 was a good year for our music and especially death metal! Here's my list:

1) Fange - Privation
2) RUÏM Black Royal Spiritism – I – O Sino da Igreja
3) Urfaust - Untergard
4) Primordial - How it Ends
5) Suffocation - Hymns from the Apocrypha
6) The Ocean - Holocene
7) Mānbryne - Interregnum: O pr​ó​bie wiary i jarzmie zw​ą​tpienia
8) Marduk - Memento Mori
9) Dying Fetus - Make Them Beg for Death
10) Majesties - Vast Reaches Unclaimed

Yes it is.

Last edited by LefterisK on Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:15 pm 

I'm looking forward to this thread (and the results). Although I've heard a pretty good number of albums this year, there hasn't been much that has stuck with me, so I'll go through here and see what I can find!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:01 pm 

Didn't listen to a ton of new albums this year, spent most of my time catching up on power/heavy/speed metal and playing guitar every single day. Outside of music, I'm really happy and content with life right now, which is in stark contrast to my post(s) in this thread last year. Thanks again for some of the support/messages and for MA just always being here <3

Here's some stuff I enjoyed in a loose, off the top of my head order. Trying to order albums in a list always drives me crazy.

1. Hellripper - Warlocks Grim & Withered Hags
2. Panopticon - The Rime of Memory
3. Azaghal - Alttarimme on luista tehty
4. Air Raid - Fatal Encounter
5. Iron Savior - Firestar
6. Sacred Outcry - Towers of Gold
7. Enforcer - Nostalgia
8. Helleruin - Devils, Death and Dark Arts
9. Blood Star - First Sighting (Just getting into this, All for Nothing is such a killer track)
10. Angra - Cycles of Pain
11. High Spirits - Safe on the Other Side (Have barely listened to this yet, expected it to be high up on the list)

I need to give some stuff like Marduk and Wayfarer another try. Starting to listen to black metal again a bit more. Marduk is definitely up there for aggressive black metal, just hasn't been my thing lately.
Edit - Oh yeah, there was Immortal and Enslaved too. There was a time when I was so excited about Demonaz led Immortal albums again, I just barely listened to either of these. I guess I'll revisit them over the next couple weeks.

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:50 pm 

It’s probably one of the first years in the last decade that I’ve managed to listen to more than a handful of newer releases. This is final as I’ve already sent my list but those are most definitely the albums I’ve listened to the most this year.

1.Flight - Echoes of Journeys Past
2. Malokarpatan - Vertumnus Caesar
3. Wytch Hazel - IV: Sacrament
4. Mizmor - Prosaic
5. Ouijabeard - The Well to Hell
6. Marduk - Memento Mori
7. Blackbraid - Blackbraid II
8. Arghoslent - Resuscitation of the Revanchists
9. Akitsa - Devenir le Diable
10. Hellripper - Warlocks Grim & Withered Hags

Some honorable mentions:

Cruel Force - Dawn of the Axe
Blood Star - First Sighting
High Spirits - Safe on the Other Side
Blut Aus Nord - Nahab

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:11 pm 

As much as they these guys know how to compose, produce and perform that kind of dissonant cosmic horror black metal stuff very well, they seem to be playing it relatively safe with this new record, which makes sense, since it's meant to be a "Part 2" album in the "Disharmonium" series. And yes, it's a great album, they're doing everything right, but to me, it feels a little too safe in a sense. I don't know how else to put it. It's good music, very capable, very well-crafted, but also very safe. I wouldn't be surprised if it did worse then the last one in the poll.

Ludorff
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:13 pm 

I'll give myself a couple more weeks to digest newer releases before committing. At this point, my list could include these bands :

Hellripper (strong contender for #1)
Spirit Possession
Malokarpatan
Imperium Dekadenz
Insomnium
Horrendous
Enslaved
Moonlight Sorcery
Cruel Force
Kerrigan

herra_af_lik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:42 pm 

Gonna have to whittle my list down to ten.

Ahab - The Coral Tombs
Angus McSix - Angus McSix and the Sword of Power
Mizmor - Prosaic
Bell Witch - Future's Shadow Part 1: The Clandestine Gate
Cattle Decapitation - Terrasite
Imperial Crystalline Entombment - Ancient Glacial Resurgence
Pyrkagion - The Katechon and the Unending Fire (EP)
Frost - Consecratus Ad Mortem
Marduk - Memento Mori
Torsofuck - Postpartum Exstasy
Sanguisugabogg - Homicidal Ecstasy
Thantifaxath - Hive Mind Narcosis
Kraanium - Scriptures of Vicennial Defilement
Crème Flesh - Casablumpkin
Taake - Et Hav av Avstand
Dying Fetus - Make Them Beg for Death

Last edited by herra_af_lik on Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:08 pm 

herra_af_lik wrote:
Fulci - The Morrisound Session

Careful with this one. I know it's not listed as a live album or compilation, but nothing on that album is new original material, and it's a "sessions" recording, so basically almost a live album. I don't know if it's acceptable with the rules of the poll.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:22 pm 

I don't know, I really enjoyed the previous one but this new one did nothing for me.

Cirrus uncinus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:22 pm 

It's here! Always stoked for this thread because it never fails to give me a bunch of cool albums that I've missed throughout the year. These two pages alone have elongated my backlog by a fair amount -- here's hoping I won't get a repeat of last year when I discovered a bunch of my top 10 contenders (namely Dark Millennium's Acid River) in 2023.

Here's what I've got so far:

1. Oromet – Oromet
2. Kostnatění – Úpal
3. Panopticon – The Rime of Memory
4. Nithing – Agonal Hymns
5. The Night Eternal – Fatale
6. Wothrosch – Odium
7. Varathron – The Crimson Temple
8. Tribunal – The Weight of Remembrance
9. Decipher – Arcane Paths to Resurrection

No. 10 is undecided because I've got about 6 albums fighting for that spot, not to mention things I haven't listened to yet. If anything, I find picking the no. 10 spot tougher than picking no. 1. You'll probably know what your absolute favorite AOTY should be, but no. 10 has to occupy the perfect middle zone between something you enjoyed enough to warrant entry into the top 10, but not as much as the albums that go before it. Hope I'll have it figured out before the last week of December.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:21 pm 

May as well do predictions post for posterities sake to see how bad of a read I've gotten. I'm actually struggling to come up with a clear front runner for the year, it's been a good year but there hasn't been anything which has stood out as massively bigger profile than anything else. Also no MA pet bands there to swoop in for the default win.

Maybe one of the cromulent OSDM legacy act offerings like Suffocation, Dying Fetus, Cannibal Corpse or Obituary? I can see them showing up on a high number of polls. I don't see them grabbing enough top end places to really put up a high score like Immolation did with Acts of God last year however so I'm really not confident.

With a quiet year I also think there's a decent chance of bands with diehard followings could sneak through even with minimal outside interest. King Gizzard is coming to mind as the mostly likely to be lurkerbombed to success given their fans are... their fans, and it was pretty good, unlike say, Metallica.

Dodheimsgard has come up a lot but it's honestly in contention for my pick for worst metal album of the year, so I'm hoping that'll just be a few outliers who dig it. On the similar outliers-who-will-be-a-high-chance-to-get-max-points-half-the-time-it-shows-up would be my #1, Nithing. Which obviously doesn't have the wide appeal but for people into noisy yet feature laden art brutal death metal it's really in a league of its own, I know several people strongly considering it for that number one slot, so with what I think will be a low scoring winner a couple hundred points from a dozen votes might actually be a decent head start.

Last option is Hellripper, which is kinda the opposite logic. Everyone likes black/speed/thrash, it's the biggest name one and has a cool cover and a lot of listeners.

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:35 am 

Dodheimsgard and Marduk are firmly at the top. Then would be Faidra, Taake, Enevelde, Dying Fetus, Mørkt Tre, Edoma, Vomitory etc

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next