* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:52 pm 

Forever Underground wrote:
Twilight Force - At The Heart Of Wintervale

With this work they have reached a clear refinement of their formula, by that I mean it's an album that plays it safe but does everything it's supposed to do well, so the only way I imagine you can't like it is because you don't like the band at their core, which is fair enough, but I swear this band has the most resentful haters in the world.

Problem is, it starts off with a couple really fun songs ("Twilight Force" and "Dragonborn") before promptly falling flat on its face and lying unconscious for the rest of its runtime. I can't remember the last time I heard an album so blatantly frontloaded.

Angra - Generation Warriors

I'm not sure if you'll make it onto the Top 10 or not, but if you do, it might very well just be the #10 slot.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:54 pm 

Ihsahn - The Adversary

I'm in a bit of a progressive black metal mood lately, revisiting or discovering bands and albums that I've simply missed or neglected. I remember liking this one when it came out and it held up pretty well.
Fire walk with me"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:03 pm 

Nithing - Agonal Hymns

Basically sounds like a trash compactor going at full volume, but there's some riffs and musicality to make it sound like metal. Pretty intense.

This is pretty nuts actually. Very math-y, a lot going on.

Last edited by Empyreal on Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:14 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Nithing - Agonal Hymns

Basically sounds like a trash compactor going at full volume, but there's some riffs and musicality to make it sound like metal. Pretty intense.

Man, I thought that album sounded like a construction working site, when the siren in one song started to sound, I thought somebody was robbing a car or some shit like that. Sometimes I laugh at the stuff that we metalheads listen to.

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:16 pm 

The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy & the Lash

Just a bunch of merry songs easy to sing along to. They’re sang by a pure heart. R.I.P. Shane, I’ll have a beer with you in hell and we’ll be talking about whiskey, bar fights, the IRA and going to church I guess

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:16 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Nithing - Agonal Hymns

Man, I thought that album sounded like a construction working site, when the siren in one song started to sound, I thought somebody was robbing a car or some shit like that. Sometimes I laugh at the stuff that we metalheads listen to.

It's pretty good really. It's chaotic but you get into the rhythm of what it is doing as it goes on. I'll have to play it more, they seem to be onto something. They kept it really short and the guitars and songwriting find some really twisted, intriguing places to go.

StarshipTrooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:38 pm 

Picture - Picture

I loved Diamond Dreamer. This sounds nice as well.

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:01 pm 

Black Sabbath - Never Say Die (Live in concert)

Ozzy's voice wasn't the best here (except in some tracks like the title track) but the rest are absolutely phenomenal. I'm still amazed by Iommi's playing, my second favorite guitarist in the world.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:50 pm 

Immolation - Sinful Nature

One of the greatest and most unique death metal bands for sure. I remember buying both "Unholy Cult" and "Close to a World Below" from a used bin just because I'd heard so many good things about them, lol.

Goatizer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:23 pm 

Ares kingdom-in darkness at last. growing up on Florida death metal it still baffles me when bands are that old and sound that good, when will these guys run out of piss and vinegar

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:12 am 

Signum Regis - Undivided

I love this! It has some hooks and this vocalist is incredible!

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:14 am 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Immolation - Sinful Nature

One of the greatest and most unique death metal bands for sure. I remember buying both "Unholy Cult" and "Close to a World Below" from a used bin just because I'd heard so many good things about them, lol.

Respect!!!!

I can't run away...I can't hide from myself
It is what I am...it is what we are
Look around and see...pathetic human beasts
We have written our own ending

Now listening Hyperdontia Nexus of Teeth

It’s just becoming an incredible album,requires many spins for be fully appreciated.

The riffs are out of this world

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:10 am 

Autopsy - Ashes, Organs, Blood and Crypts

Something has kept me coming back to this... raw and powerful. The songs have a lot of character and it all just sounds fucking grisly and feral in ways you don't always think old bands will.

Something about this one hits me harder than the other post-reunion material I've heard from em.

Panopticon - And Again into the Light

Sweeping, punishing melodicism - every part is a climax of sorts. Swells of grandeur and then massive heavy sections. A work deeply felt... really good.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:39 am 

Dokken - Prisoner

Poor Don is a prisoner of love. Not the only good song on this album, but might be the catchiest.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:59 am 

Spins

Incantation - Unholy Deification - A solid album though I have never been into this band. A worthy dark doomy death metal album.

Horrendous - Ontological Mysterium - Good progressive death metal. Reading a lot of album of the year raves about it and I don't get that. But I'll give it some more spins.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:23 pm 

Tiamat - Wildhoney

A truly magickal album! Beautiful, arcane, different.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:41 pm 

Nokturnal Mortum - Autumn Opposition

Old NM releases are so magical!
Love it.

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:34 pm 

Panopticon - The Rime of Memory

Winter’s Ghost is such a monolith of a song. The acoustic part reminds me a bit of some Current 93 songs. On earlier records, A. Lunn was going for a more positive-sounding approach but the emotion that this song conveys… There is nothing good coming this way, we’re heading for darker times I’m afraid. Haven’t been moved by a song like this in quite some time now.

koolaidprodigy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:27 pm 

Wretched Fate - Carnal Heresy

Some good hm2 metal from this year.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:08 pm 

Rush - Xanadu

Just everything I want in progressive rock. The way the drums keep building up during the intro is just amazing. Perfectly crafted drums, guitars, and that bass has such balls.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:31 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Rush - Xanadu

Just everything I want in progressive rock. The way the drums keep building up during the intro is just amazing. Perfectly crafted drums, guitars, and that bass has such balls.

A perfect song.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:58 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Rush - Xanadu

A perfect song.

:nods:

Its just so well constructed. I think its my favorite work by my favorite drummer as well. Just how he builds up the fills as they move towards the first verse. I never ever get tired of listening to that. I was a moron and it seemed like there would always be another chance to see Rush live as they always played St. Louis. So I only caught them live on the final tour. And they played it, and it was magic.

NP - Blood Incantation - Hidden Species (Vitrification of Blood Part 2)

Playing the whole Starspawn album. Fuck these guys are good. Hidden History was a masterpiece and this may be as good.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:04 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Rush - Xanadu

A perfect song.

Yes it’s drink the milk of Paradise ….

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:30 pm 

Ulcerate - Everything Is Fire

Man, it's been way too long since I've heard this album again.
Easily one of my all-time favorite death metal albums, that drumming in particular is just such an astonishing display of talent...

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:48 pm 

Frozen Soul - Glacial Domination

GOD DAMM this is good, groovy, and brutal, it has John Gallagher in one track and is pure bouncing death metal Bolt Thrower style. I love this so far.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:00 pm 

Shaman - Ritual

Overlooked gem. No, seriously, this is one of the greatest releases to ever come from South America

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:06 pm 

Revisiting all I've listened to this year for my final top 10 - Part 4

Hellripper - Warlocks Grim & Withered Hags

There is something about this album that is purely energetic and infectious all the time, you can like the black/thrash trend more or less but this artist truly sets his own path with his guitar playing. Essential.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:11 pm 

Mork - Et Kall fra Dypet

Revisiting the Mork album from this year, and it doesn't really hold up. Very generic black metal with some black n roll ala modern Taake, it's just very by the numbers.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:11 pm 

Sortilege - Metamorphose

A straight up classic.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:53 pm 

Vader - Solitude in Madness

Just grooves and crunches along. Massive sound. They, like The Chasm and many other bands, have really carved out their own niche... nobody else does this shit.

Tanith - Voyage

Has to be an award for an album I memory-holed back in April but which is one of the year's best... I don't know if I've ever heard something that evokes old Rush this well. But it does its own thing. Mystical, sincere.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:29 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Vader - Solitude in Madness

Just grooves and crunches along. Massive sound. They, like The Chasm and many other bands, have really carved out their own niche... nobody else does this shit.

Tanith - Voyage

Has to be an award for an album I memory-holed back in April but which is one of the year's best... I don't know if I've ever heard something that evokes old Rush this well. But it does its own thing. Mystical, sincere.

That Vader album is a crusher and I will have to check out that Tanith record. Never heard of them but if they evoke old Rush I will have to give them a listen.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:37 am 

Empyreal wrote:

Something has kept me coming back to this... raw and powerful. The songs have a lot of character and it all just sounds fucking grisly and feral in ways you don't always think old bands will.

Something about this one hits me harder than the other post-reunion material I've heard from em.

That's how I feel about Skull Grinder and Puncturing the Grotesque. The shorter, no-damn-given death metal take works a lot better for this band nowadays.

I'd advise you to hold off on what is likely to be a negative review and give this album the perspective it deserves.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:15 pm 

Revisiting all I've listened to this year for my final top 10 - Part 5

Ὁπλίτης(Hoplites) - Ψ​ε​υ​δ​ο​μ​έ​ν​η
It creates a certain mood that if you let yourself get drawn into it you can't get away from it, there's something certainly satisfying about how it creates such dense, hazy landscapes and at the same time feels like a constant, unstoppable, shattering force.

Hercules - Waiting for the King
I don't really know what to think of this, at times it's so bad and over the top that it could be qualified as a parody, then I remember that it's all made by one person with minimal resources and I think that this is simply all he could do... But I don't find any redeeming quality in the whole full lenght, which also lasts an hour... I don't know, maybe it would be better to do a bit of quality control instead of releasing two albums in one year, right?

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:26 pm 

Ad Nauseam - Coincidentia Oppositorum

Unholy hell is this album amazing! It took me a while before I was able to really "grasp" dissonant death and black metal. For the most part, I was just kind of not getting the appeal, but then these guys released Imperative Imperceptible Impulse, and it all made sense to me. This album is perfect! The songwriting is amazing, the production is on point, and the guitars and bass sound crazy good.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:34 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:

That Vader album is a crusher and I will have to check out that Tanith record. Never heard of them but if they evoke old Rush I will have to give them a listen.

They aren't imitating Rush in overt ways like song structure or anything, but it just legit sounds like Rush playing some slightly different music (sometimes a little more metal, other times weirdly surfy and fluid) - and there's a similarly airy, open quality to the production as on their 70s works. It's really good.

colin040 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

That's how I feel about Skull Grinder and Puncturing the Grotesque. The shorter, no-damn-given death metal take works a lot better for this band nowadays.

I ought to hear those, too, then.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:10 pm 

Trebuchet SDG - Through The Dark Ages
https://trebuchetsdg.bandcamp.com/album ... -dark-ages

Quality melodic black metal from Finland.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:23 pm 

Darkthrone - Paragon Belial

A Blaze In The Northern Sky is such a classic 2nd wave black metal album! I think it's still my favorite Darkthrone record of all time. I love the atmosphere, the riffs, the screams, the drumming, and the longer tracks on this. The whole death metal infused black metal approach of this one might feel like it's not "pure" black metal to some, but to me it works wonders. It's black metal with a great bleak atmosphere, solid instrumentation, and it just feels more fleshed out and well-rounded compared to some of the rawer black metal that was being produced at the time. Not that I dislike the rawer, more stripped down approach that DT would explore on following records, but ABITNS is just such a solid album that standouts still. I love it!

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:35 pm 

Fossilization - Leprous Daylight

Since there is no new Kyrpts or Dead Congregation this year, this one fills that space. This is dripping in the muck death metal. Love it.

AuthorOfWoh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:40 pm 

Convocation - Lepers and Derelicts

Massive funeral doom to close out the year. They have so much room and layers than ever before. What an experience!

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:59 pm 

Spinning the new Incantation again. I think this will be the first album of theirs I buy.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 2858, 2859, 2860, 2861, 2862, 2863, 2864 ... 2901  Next