Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:11 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
SanPeron wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Guy is all over the place in his criticism. Criticising Autopsy for not progressing while in another thread criticising bands like Nithing for progressing too much. Seriously pick a lane.

That Autopsy album is just boring, I tried it a couple more times, but it isn't my thing, and Nithing is kind of a meme band man, he is possibly the most chaotic and noisiest one-man band in existence, and that has to be worth something at least.

Guy we can all read what you wrote. You literally said “death metal has progressed past Autopsy” in that thread, then simultaneously in the other you bemoaned the progression of current bands. Like we can literally see what you said…. Your arguments are contradictory which is why we continue to scratch our heads when you tippity tap your opinions onto this forum.

Nah man, I think you didn't understand me, I just found that Autopsy album pretty boring and lacking in a lot of things I like in death metal, that's all it is. I really don't have any complex argument for not liking that album.

DoctorAMDC
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:40 pm 

1. Crimson Dreams-Kaleidoscope Metal
2. Project Roenwolfe- Self Titled
3.Transgressive-Extreme Transgression
4.Owlbear- Chaos To The Realm
5.A Constant Knowledge of Death- Dissecting a One Winged Bird
6. Black Stag Rising- Temples
7.Corvus Corone- Abandoned in Spring
8. Tomb Mold- The Enduring Spirit
9. Dying Fetus- Make Them Beg for Death
10. Cannibal Corpse- Chaos Horrific

AuthorOfWoh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:02 am 

kycitaenj wrote:
Kinda disappointed by the lack of doom this year, or maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places. If anyone has recs please share :) (my actual most listened this year were Shape of Despair, Mourning Beloveth, Immensity, etc)

I mostly follow RYM so I have a lot of recs for you. This has been a great year for Doom actually. My most listened to genre and so many gems that came out from the first month with Ahab's The Coral Tombs to the present with Convocation's No Dawn For The Caliginous Night. Check some of these out, or all of them, if you get the time.

Ahab – The Coral Tombs
The Howling Void – Into Darkness Ever More Profound
Godthrymm – Distortions
Grief Symposium - ...in the Absence of Light
Asphodelus – Sculpting From Time
Sporae Autem Yuggoth - ...However It Still Moves
Orphans Of Dusk – Spleen
Vale of Amonition - Immortalizing the Lugubrious, or Those of Evolving Despair
Bell Witch - Future's Shadow Part 1: The Clandestine Gate
Mournful Congregation - The Exuviae of Gods - Part II
The Answer Lies in the Black Void – Thou Shalt
Caged – From Roving About The Earth
God Disease – Apocalyptic Doom
Decemberance - Implosions
Saturnus – The Storm Within
Corvus Corone - Abandoned in Spring
Nine Altars – The Eternal Penance
Grief Collector – In Times Of Woe
Mansion – Second Death
The Abbey – Word Of Sin
The River - A Hollow Full Of Hope
Convocation – No Dawn For The Caliginous Night

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:32 am 

DeadKid wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
EDIT: lol the spoilers won't open for whatever reason but I'm far too lazy to troubleshoot why.

2022 is working. To fix them just put closing bold tags before the spoilers and start new bold tags inside the spoiler like you've got for 2022.

A smarter man than I. Thank you, it's fixed now!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Gradus the Bungler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:32 am 

Durag wrote:
GODFLESH

Godflesh.

Gradus the Bungler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:34 am 

Durag wrote:
Dodheimsgard

Dødheimsgard.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:05 am 

SanPeron wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
Man, what's with the boner for mainstream success? There are loads of amazing metal releases every year. The genre is not dead, not dying, not even remotely threatened of dying any time soon. Who gives a shit if metal isn't mainstream? Especially now in 2023, where streaming is the norm in music listening habits. There is a boom in basically every music genre you can imagine, because of how easy it is to distribute music for bands and artists, and super easy to listen to for music listeners.

Man, the only thing that needs to die is this nonsense "Metal needs to be saved" and/or "Metal is dead" rhetoric, because there is basically nothing backing this idea.

I don't know if the problem is the number of releases, I shake your hand, and you are right, there are more metal releases now and with more easy access than in the past. But be honest with yourself when was the last time you heard something like Cowboys from Hell, Reign in Blood, Left Hand Path, Painkiller, Master of Puppets or Ace of Spades. It's been a while man, a pretty long time ago. The last truly relevant stuff that happened in metal was nu metal and metalcore and those genres are frowned upon by large parts of the community, even in this forum. I don't want to see the musicians of our community playing in deadbeat clubs for pennies for the rest of their lives, there was a time when you could be a metal musician a live with the money you made out of music, I hope we can go back to that.

And that sounds horrible, I can't imagine how bad the music will get if we try this angle.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:13 am 

thewrll wrote:
And that sounds horrible, I can't imagine how bad the music will get if we try this angle.

We weren't really proposing anything, we were just talking about the mainstream appeal in metal or some stuff like that.

Grey Sabbath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:44 am 

Hello, all. I feel pretty solid about this list, since the last new album that was on my radar came out the first of this month. I'm one of those full discography types, so I only listen to new albums if I've heard every previous album from those bands, but I managed to listen to 42 new metal albums (plus 10 non-metal) this year. I went through the tedious process of skimming through every new album I listened to this year over the past few days and carefully ranked every album best to worst (even the non-metal ones, but for the sake of discussion I'll keep it metal). Here's the top 20:

1. Ascension - Under the Veil of Madness

This album is a work of art. It made me feel things power metal never has before. Possibly my favorite in the last five years, let alone this one.

2. Secret Sphere - Blackened Heartbeat

An established Italian power metal band put out peak music this year. Doesn't need much more than that

3. Venus - Obscured Until Observed

Another "Vektor for if you aren't comfortable listening to Vektor anymore" band, so you know its some good shit, if Vektor is your thing. The clean vocal parts give it a bit of power metal flavor, so its not entirely derivative. Either way, I can't get enough of this style of thrash.

4. ShadowStrike - Traveler's Tales

Not the best-sounding production in my opinion (not that I'm an expert on the details), but so full of shameless power metal whimsy and creativity that I can't help but love it.

5. 陰陽座 (Onmyo-Za) - 龍凰童子 (Ryuoh Dohji, according to Google Translate)

Onmyo-Za speak for themselves. Legendary band

6. Smoulder - Violent Creed of Vengeance

Adding some variety with some doom metal, which is a subgenre I need to delve into more. This album was fantastic, and the speed metal tracks definitely helped win me over

7. Mari Hamada - Soar

Great songwriting + great production + amazing singer = Easy spot on this list

8. Marc Hudson - Starbound Stories

Feels more fresh than DragonForce's newer stuff. They should take some notes. Also I never expected Syu from Galneryus to collab with a member of DragonForce. That's basically the dream collaboration of my childhood.

9. Iron Attack! - Mythology

Iron Attack! puts out the same album at least twice every year, but its one of the best damn albums ever, so they're basically guaranteed a spot on my list every year. This one is no exception. Good stuff as usual.

10. Serenity - Nemesis AD

My feelings on Serenity have been so turbulent. Their first few albums were okay, then the band peaked with 2017's Lionheart. Then 2020's The Last Night was total mid. And now they've bounced back into my top 10 of the year. What a wildcard. But this album had a very epic feel and the symphonic elements sound the best they ever have. I loved it.

11. Overkill - Scorched

Yeah, I'm such a power metal dork that the subgenre near single handedly snubbed Overkill out of the top 10. I just can't help myself lmao. But this album was so good it makes me wish the top 10 was a top 11. Overkill is officially back.

12. Derdian - New Era Part IV - Resurgence

Speaking of bands being back, Derdian really fired on all cylinders with this one. Might actually be their new best, which is saying a lot.

13. Angra - Cycles of Pain

Those who still miss the old Angra probably don't like this one, but I thought it was great. I'm glad Fabio Lione's talents are still being put to good use now that his involvement with anything Rhapsody is officially over.

14. Lovebites - Judgement Day

Not as good as Electric Pentagram (probably my favorite album of 2020), but still great. Not the most consistent, but when it's good, it's good

15. Jag Panzer - The Hallowed

Harry Conklin being a vocal god for 53 minutes. Nuff said

16. Gloryhammer - Return to the Kingdom of Fife

Okay, maybe not the most respectable choice among the most hardcore of power metallers, but I think Gloryhammer do the comedic power metal thing better than most. The way they execute the style makes it enjoyable as regular ol' power metal while still being goofy and over-the-top. This album is another example of that, and I enjoyed it start to finish. Way better than Angus McMid's debut

17. Ill Omen - March of Decay

A friend randomly recommended me this album, and I'm glad he did. Very dingy and agressive thrash/death metal album.

18. Suffocation - Hymns from the Apocrypha

I don't listen to a lot of technical death metal, but I find the genre I enjoy a lot, and these guys are obviously proven titans of that style. Very solid and well-produced album

19. Gama Bomb - Bats

A short but sweet album of Gama Bomb doing what they do best: having fun

20. Exmortus - Necrophony

The band feels particularly refreshed since their previous album. Their neoclassical death/thrash style sounds as great as ever

I'm pleasantly surprised to see people also have Marc Hudson's debut and new Serenity on their list as well. Glad to know I won't have as much of my list delegated to rando corner as I thought. Feel free to recommend me anything I missed (that new Sacred Outcry is looking pretty good...) or scream at me for how cringe my choices are.

And shout out to the new Dokken, easily the worst album I've heard this year. They took 11 years to put out the most boring shit I listened to all year

Ghost of Christmas Last
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:07 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Ghost of Christmas Last wrote:
Fusing black metal with other genres produces some of the best albums out there, and the northern hemisphere is no stranger to this craft, but to my ears Dodheimsgard is not quite there yet. Maybe if they distil it further then they're on to something. Sampled the album just now - I could enjoy it once or twice but that's about it. The external elements often feel tacked on and the vocals are too much upfront even though they do want us to focus on the music and whatnot. They are definitely on to something, just wish they would meld the disparate elements more thoroughly.

Interesting, to me it sounds perfectly melded and synthesized together as if by alchemy almost. Just a seamless blend - that's what I like so much about it.

100% with Emp on this one. We are hearing different albums perhaps? With this album they have distilled it further to brew something a little more linear, seamless and melded together so perfectly that it come across as one whole entity, rather than a collection of songs on the same album. The vocals themselves are just one of the many highlights throughout... but personal opinion is just that eh?

Vocals are enjoyable just too much upfront. If you run an atmospheric passage then maybe connect it to the rest with a drum beat or such? I've never been a fan of 2nd wave black metal sound as such, and so perhaps DHG will never produce a style that I will enjoy. I don't know guys, it's getting harder to articulate now, maybe ultimately it is a question of moods that the album evokes, and the mood swings. For a bit of perspective, the praise I hear for this album I could see myself applying to another case of black metal fusion with who-knows-what, the latest album by Skaphe. A seamless blend and possibly aided by the fact that it is not built around the 2nd wave sound?

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:31 am 

77hjrttfred wrote:
The interesting one for me this year is going to be Metallica? Is it possible that they might get no votes this year?

No. It's impossible they might get no votes - not as long as this Metallica simp is around.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:19 am 

Grey Sabbath wrote:
Hello, all. I feel pretty solid about this list, since the last new album that was on my radar came out the first of this month. I'm one of those full discography types, so I only listen to new albums if I've heard every previous album from those bands, but I managed to listen to 42 new metal albums (plus 10 non-metal) this year. I went through the tedious process of skimming through every new album I listened to this year over the past few days and carefully ranked every album best to worst (even the non-metal ones, but for the sake of discussion I'll keep it metal). Here's the top 20:

This album is a work of art. It made me feel things power metal never has before. Possibly my favorite in the last five years, let alone this one.

An established Italian power metal band put out peak music this year. Doesn't need much more than that

Another "Vektor for if you aren't comfortable listening to Vektor anymore" band, so you know its some good shit, if Vektor is your thing. The clean vocal parts give it a bit of power metal flavor, so its not entirely derivative. Either way, I can't get enough of this style of thrash.

Not the best-sounding production in my opinion (not that I'm an expert on the details), but so full of shameless power metal whimsy and creativity that I can't help but love it.

Adding some variety with some doom metal, which is a subgenre I need to delve into more. This album was fantastic, and the speed metal tracks definitely helped win me over

7. Mari Hamada - Soar

Feels more fresh than DragonForce's newer stuff. They should take some notes. Also I never expected Syu from Galneryus to collab with a member of DragonForce. That's basically the dream collaboration of my childhood.

Iron Attack! puts out the same album at least twice every year, but its one of the best damn albums ever, so they're basically guaranteed a spot on my list every year. This one is no exception. Good stuff as usual.

My feelings on Serenity have been so turbulent. Their first few albums were okay, then the band peaked with 2017's Lionheart. Then 2020's The Last Night was total mid. And now they've bounced back into my top 10 of the year. What a wildcard. But this album had a very epic feel and the symphonic elements sound the best they ever have. I loved it.

11. Overkill - Scorched

Yeah, I'm such a power metal dork that the subgenre near single handedly snubbed Overkill out of the top 10. I just can't help myself lmao. But this album was so good it makes me wish the top 10 was a top 11. Overkill is officially back.

Speaking of bands being back, Derdian really fired on all cylinders with this one. Might actually be their new best, which is saying a lot.

Those who still miss the old Angra probably don't like this one, but I thought it was great. I'm glad Fabio Lione's talents are still being put to good use now that his involvement with anything Rhapsody is officially over.

Not as good as Electric Pentagram (probably my favorite album of 2020), but still great. Not the most consistent, but when it's good, it's good

Okay, maybe not the most respectable choice among the most hardcore of power metallers, but I think Gloryhammer do the comedic power metal thing better than most. The way they execute the style makes it enjoyable as regular ol' power metal while still being goofy and over-the-top. This album is another example of that, and I enjoyed it start to finish. Way better than Angus McMid's debut

A friend randomly recommended me this album, and I'm glad he did. Very dingy and agressive thrash/death metal album.

I don't listen to a lot of technical death metal, but I find the genre I enjoy a lot, and these guys are obviously proven titans of that style. Very solid and well-produced album

19. Gama Bomb - Bats

The band feels particularly refreshed since their previous album. Their neoclassical death/thrash style sounds as great as ever

I'm pleasantly surprised to see people also have Marc Hudson's debut and new Serenity on their list as well. Glad to know I won't have as much of my list delegated to rando corner as I thought. Feel free to recommend me anything I missed (that new Sacred Outcry is looking pretty good...) or scream at me for how cringe my choices are.

And shout out to the new Dokken, easily the worst album I've heard this year. They took 11 years to put out the most boring shit I listened to all year

I really like that Ascension album. The courtroom part would make a lot of high drama power metal bands blush and that guitar sound is one of the best I have ever heard. Did you hear Wonders - Beyond the Mirage or Temperance - Hermitage - Daruma's Eyes Part 2? You might enjoy those.

p.s. I actually like the Dokken album. It is on the understated side and kind of soothing.

AlienZombie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:50 am 

Ok, still working on my list, but wanted to throw out something ahead of time.

Almost certain to make it:
Dominance - Slaughter of Human Offerings in the New Age of Pan. Fast, thrashy, mean black metal.
Tramalizer - Fumes of Funeral Pyres. Fun Finnish death.
Azaghal - Alttarimme on luista tehty. One of, if not actually, my favorite BM albums this year. Has a HM2 guitar sound, which is an interesting surprise.
Outer Heaven - Infinite Psychic Depths. I'm sure everyone knows them, surprised it's not on more lists.
Kalmah - s/t. Glad to see them on other lists, love this band.
Xoth - Exogalactic
Moonlight Sorcery - Horned Lord of the Thorned Castle
Helleruin - Devils, Death and Dark Arts
Blackbraid - Blackbraid 2

Have potential:
Heathen Foray - Oathbreaker
RüYYn - Chapter II: The Flames, the Fallen, the Fury
Black Void Cult - ...Even the Stars Have to Die
Délétère - Songes d'une nuit souillée
Cryptworm - Oozing Radioactive Vomition (not out yet, but high hopes based on their last album)

I didn't think this year was as amazing as a lot of people here; not as many clear standouts for me as in some other recent years.
And, without being too much of a "hater", there's a few albums mentioned a lot that I don't understand the appeal for. But none moreso than Frozen Soul; I thought it was monumentally boring.

nakzox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:37 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
Man, what's with the boner for mainstream success? There are loads of amazing metal releases every year. The genre is not dead, not dying, not even remotely threatened of dying any time soon. Who gives a shit if metal isn't mainstream? Especially now in 2023, where streaming is the norm in music listening habits. There is a boom in basically every music genre you can imagine, because of how easy it is to distribute music for bands and artists, and super easy to listen to for music listeners.

Man, the only thing that needs to die is this nonsense "Metal needs to be saved" and/or "Metal is dead" rhetoric, because there is basically nothing backing this idea.

I don't know if the problem is the number of releases, I shake your hand, and you are right, there are more metal releases now and with more easy access than in the past. But be honest with yourself when was the last time you heard something like Cowboys from Hell, Reign in Blood, Left Hand Path, Painkiller, Master of Puppets or Ace of Spades. It's been a while man, a pretty long time ago. The last truly relevant stuff that happened in metal was nu metal and metalcore and those genres are frowned upon by large parts of the community, even in this forum. I don't want to see the musicians of our community playing in deadbeat clubs for pennies for the rest of their lives, there was a time when you could be a metal musician a live with the money you made out of music, I hope we can go back to that.

The bolded isn't unique to metal. It's rather a statement on the current music industry in general. You have the stars at the top in most genres making the big bucks and everyone below them fighting for scraps. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:47 pm 

I was joking, I hope you weren't offended San!!!!!

Was an opportunity too good….

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:57 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:

I can easily name albums from recent years that are just as good as those you listed here, or even better by my personnal tastes. But I suspect that the intrinsic qualities of the records, be it quality of the songwriting, performance, originality, etc. don't really matter much to you, at least not in this rhetoric you're putting forth, as you seem to be going back to this idea that we need metal to be mainstream, or some kind of cultural phenomenon, or that albums need to reinvent the wheel entirely for them to matter (or I don't know, I have a hard time really understanding the criteria you're using to make that whole arugment). But yeah, no, I strongly disagree with this discourse. Artistic relevance doesn't depend on commercial succes and/or mainstream appeal.

Besides, I don't think metal bands need to play stadiums for them to be relevant. Earlier this year I saw Cannibal Corpse, Mayhem, Gorguts and Blood Incantation play in a sold out 2500 places venue, and the show was amazing. You're arguing like there is nothing between a local band playing in front of 20 people and superstar bands playing stadiums, and that's just not true.

And if we circle back to the subject of albums/bands as culturally relevant, I don't think it's fair to argue that bands like Power Trip, Blood Incantation, White Ward, Sigh, Stormkeep, Spectral Wound, Ulcerate, Deathspell Omega or Atlantean Kodex and other metal bands who ranked quite high in our recent polls, are not culturally relevant, or important in shaping metal music and pushing the boundaries. The last White Ward album is absolutely stunning, the new Ulcerate and Blood Incantation have contributed significantly to reshaping death metal in recent years, giving it a new breath, and opening avenues for the subgenre. Same for Deathspell Omega in black metal.

lord_ghengis wrote:
Hell, the modern world is so decentralised that "the mainstream" as a concept is less relevant than ever. Sure there's bigger stuff and smaller stuff, but more listeners sort themselves into their niches than ever before thanks to the personalized playlist streams and so on. The notion that metal is going to find some kind of cross over hit thats going to get into the greater consciousness, particularly through a throwback priest worship track is absolutely laughable.

This aligns with the point I was making earlier. I'm not talking about just having more options as a listener, but musicians having more creative freedom and more avenues to explore since there is less restriction from the market, and producers don't have the power they used to have in terms of creative output. The mainstream is much less of a thing then it was 30 years ago, and to be quite honest, I would take most of the albums I have in my top 10 of this year alone over the albums that SanPeron listed in the post I quoted further up.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:11 pm 

1. Owlbear - Chaos to the Realm
2. By Fire and Sword - Glory
3. Gatekeeper - From Western Shores
4. Green Lung - This Heathen Land
5. Danava - Nothing but Nothing
6. Church of Misery - Born Under a Mad Sign
7. Blazon Rite - Wild Rites & Ancient Songs
8. Blood Star - First Sighting
9. Stoned Jesus - Father Light
10. Tanith - Voyage

I suspect maybe three of these will get out of the rando corner but it’s been a good year for trad and a surprisingly solid for stoner-doom.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:25 pm 

Gradus the Bungler wrote:
Durag wrote:
GODFLESH

Godflesh.

Godflesh have capitalized their name and album title for this album, clear as day on their bandcamp page.

Nice detective work though, I am truly humbled.

Grey Sabbath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:29 pm 

Bronze Age wrote:
Grey Sabbath wrote:

7. Mari Hamada - Soar

11. Overkill - Scorched

19. Gama Bomb - Bats

I really like that Ascension album. The courtroom part would make a lot of high drama power metal bands blush and that guitar sound is one of the best I have ever heard. Did you hear Wonders - Beyond the Mirage or Temperance - Hermitage - Daruma's Eyes Part 2? You might enjoy those.

p.s. I actually like the Dokken album. It is on the understated side and kind of soothing.

Oh yes, the courtroom part is so damn good. That whole title track is easily my favorite song of the year. I've replayed it so many times at this point

And I haven't heard those albums at all. I will be sure to peep them

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:46 pm 

Hmmm so far I think I will have

Cirith Ungol - Dark Parade
Memoriam - Rise to Power
Tomb Mold - The Enduring Spirit
Cannibal Corpse - Chaos Horrific
Overkill - Scortched
Obituary - Dying of Everything
In Flames - Foregone

IF may drop out. Some more to give some spins to before the deadline.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:54 pm 

I won't post my list until the results are revealed, but I post some of my honourable mentions:

(in alphabetical)

Baroness - Stone
Deadspace - Unveiling The Palest Truth
Dodheimsgard - Black Medium Current
Elegant Weapons - Horns For Halos
Immortal - War Against All
Imperium Dekadenz - Into Sorrow Evermore
Liturgy - 93696
Mental Cruelty - Zwielicht
‘Ottaítng - Yevdoueven
Wytch Hazel - IV: Sacrament

One of my favourite metal songs of the year is High Under Pressure by Roadwolf - but the rest of the album was very average for me.
Also got super stoked upon hearing "The Great Deceiver" by In Flames last year, but the album as a whole was back to mediocrity imo.

Still digesting the new albums from High Spirits, Panopticon, Satan's Fall and Wayfarer. I feel like Panopticon would probably make my list if I had a couple more months with it.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:09 pm 

jimbies wrote:
I won't post my list until the results are revealed, but I post some of my honourable mentions:

(in alphabetical)

Baroness - Stone
Deadspace - Unveiling The Palest Truth
Dodheimsgard - Black Medium Current
Elegant Weapons - Horns For Halos
Imperium Dekadenz - Into Sorrow Evermore
Liturgy - 93696
Mental Cruelty - Zwielicht
‘Ottaítng - Yevdoueven
Wytch Hazel - IV: Sacrament

One of my favourite metal songs of the year is High Under Pressure by Roadwolf - but the rest of the album was very average for me.
Also got super stoked upon hearing "The Great Deceiver" by In Flames last year, but the album as a whole was back to mediocrity imo.

Still digesting the new albums from High Spirits, Panopticon, Satan's Fall and Wayfarer. I feel like Panopticon would probably make my list if I had a couple more months with it.

Sorry to spoil it for everyone but I've got Jimbies list right here if ya wanna have a peak.

Spoiler: show
1.Metallica - 72 Seasons
2.Metallica - 72 Seasons
3.Metallica - 72 Seasons
4.Metallica - 72 Seasons
5.Metallica - 72 Seasons
6.Metallica - 72 Seasons
7.Metallica - 72 Seasons
8.Metallica - 72 Seasons
9.Metallica - 72 Seasons
10.Metallica - 72 Seasons

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:13 pm 

:lol:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:13 pm 

When somebody asked if Metallica would wind up with zero votes I almost said "Over jimbies' dead body"
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:51 pm 

Now the question is will Metallica be sent to the rando corner?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:22 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:

:oh shit:

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:31 pm 

Nah. I registered 72 accounts on April 14 to prevent this from happening.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:22 pm 

Nithing, Panopticon, Cattle Decapitation, Horre and Scar Symmetry are definitely going to be in my list, but the other 5 I haven't decided yet, or what order.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:53 pm 

Can't imagine Metallica's newest record not getting at least two votes. The thread for 72 Seasons showed us that quite a bit of people liked it, and it's Metallica. Like... Iron Maiden made the top 10 with their run-of-the-mill album Senjutsu in 2021. Can't imagine Metallica doing very badly.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:46 am 

jimbies wrote:

I mean if you voted only a couple of times, could we actually tell they're you?

Gradus the Bungler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:29 am 

Durag wrote:
Gradus the Bungler wrote:
Durag wrote:
GODFLESH

Godflesh.

Godflesh have capitalized their name and album title for this album, clear as day on their bandcamp page.

Nice detective work though, I am truly humbled.

Then why didn't you capitalize it in your rebuttal?

Pwn.

Warm Regards,
Gradus TB

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:56 am 

I think a lot of people will mellow out on the hate for this one as time goes on - expectation with those old bands is a bitch. That said there were so many other albums this year that I won't really have it on my top 10 at all.

kycitaenj
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:09 am 

AuthorOfWoh wrote:
kycitaenj wrote:
Kinda disappointed by the lack of doom this year, or maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places. If anyone has recs please share :) (my actual most listened this year were Shape of Despair, Mourning Beloveth, Immensity, etc)

I mostly follow RYM so I have a lot of recs for you. This has been a great year for Doom actually. My most listened to genre and so many gems that came out from the first month with Ahab's The Coral Tombs to the present with Convocation's No Dawn For The Caliginous Night. Check some of these out, or all of them, if you get the time.

Ahab – The Coral Tombs
The Howling Void – Into Darkness Ever More Profound
Godthrymm – Distortions
Grief Symposium - ...in the Absence of Light
Asphodelus – Sculpting From Time
Sporae Autem Yuggoth - ...However It Still Moves
Orphans Of Dusk – Spleen
Vale of Amonition - Immortalizing the Lugubrious, or Those of Evolving Despair
Bell Witch - Future's Shadow Part 1: The Clandestine Gate
Mournful Congregation - The Exuviae of Gods - Part II
The Answer Lies in the Black Void – Thou Shalt
Caged – From Roving About The Earth
God Disease – Apocalyptic Doom
Decemberance - Implosions
Saturnus – The Storm Within
Corvus Corone - Abandoned in Spring
Nine Altars – The Eternal Penance
Grief Collector – In Times Of Woe
Mansion – Second Death
The Abbey – Word Of Sin
The River - A Hollow Full Of Hope
Convocation – No Dawn For The Caliginous Night

Tysm! Guess i'll be busy trying to listen to all of these before voting closes :)
Actually I did listen to Second Death yesterday since someone else in the thread mentioned it, and its top 5 so far

Watershed
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:38 am 

just a draft...

Thy Darkened Shade - Liber Lvcifer II: Mahapralaya
Häxanu - Totenpass
Astriferous - Pulsations From the Black Orb
Runemagick - Beyond the Cenotaph of Mankind
Kostnatění - Úpal
Thantifaxath - Hive Mind Narcosis
Wyrgher - Panspermic Warlords
Urfaust - Untergang
Malokarpatan - Vertumnus Caesar
Cruciamentum - Obsidian Refractions
Varathron – The Crimson Temple
Panopticon - The Rime of Memory
King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse
Nospūn - Opus
Liturgy - 93696
Moonlight Sorcery - Horned Lord of the Thorned Castle
Demoniac - Nube Negra
Trhä - Alëce iΩic
Stortregn - Finitude
Dying Fetus - Make Them Beg for Death
Hellripper - Warlocks Grim & Withered Hags
Odz Manouk - Bosoragazan
Jute Gyte - Unus Mundus Patet
Mournful Congregation - The Exuviae of Gods: Part II
Afterbirth - In but Not Of
Wayfarer - American Gothic
Vertebra Atlantis - A Dialogue With the Eeriest Sublime
Ὁπλίτης - Ἀ​ν​τ​ι​τ​ι​μ​ω​ρ​ο​υ​μ​έ​ν​η
Bekor Qilish - The Flesh of a New God

alkostach
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:43 am 

My shortlist for 2023:
Bizarrekult - Den tapte krigen
Tryglav - The Ritual
Tribe of Pazuzu - Blasphemous Prophecies
Harboured - Harboured
Aara - Triade III: Nyx
Kommand - Death Age
Evilcult - The Devil Is Always Looking for Souls
Dødheimsgard - Black Medium Current
Fires in the Distance - Air Not Meant for Us
Dead Chasm - Sublimis Ignotum Omni
Undead - Putrefactio
Corpus Necromanthum - He ... Who Suffers Knowledge
Sól án varma - Sól án varma
Cattle Decapitation - Terrasite
Vnder a Crvmbling Moon - I: Oblivion
Vomitory - All Heads Are Gonna Roll
Kostnatění - Úpal
Aodon - Portraits
Miserere Luminis - Ordalie
Blackbraid - Blackbraid II
Fen - Monuments to Absence
Ruïm - Black Royal Spiritism - I​.​ O Sino da Igreja
Cavalera Conspiracy - Morbid Visions
Tongues - Formløse stjerner
The Crawling - All of This for Nothing
Werewolves - My Enemies Look and Sound like Me
Taake - Et hav av avstand
Marduk - Memento Mori
Dying Fetus - Make Them Beg for Death
Fossilization - Leprous Daylight
Martikor - Soliloquy
Anima Hereticae - Descended from the Mountains
Desecresy - Deserted Realms
Acausal Intrusion - Panpsychism
On Thorns I Lay - On Thorns I Lay
Sulphur Aeon - Seven Crowns and Seven Seals
Hasard - Malivore
Aegrus - Invoking the Abysmal Night
Wayfarer - American Gothic
Three Eyes of the Void - The Atheist
Green Lung - This Heathen Land
Imperial Crystalline Entombment - Ancient Glacial Resurgence
Vertebra Atlantis - A Dialogue with the Eeriest Sublime
Messier 16 - Death Poems
Nahasheol - Serpens Abyssi
Cruciamentum - Obsidian Refractions
Panopticon - The Rime of Memory
Hatred Reigns - Awaken the Ancients

All in all this year slightly weaker than 2022 for my taste.

alkostach
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:44 am 

oh, Cavalera Conspiracy eligible or no?

Rowolta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:36 am 

I prefer it fast and brutal. Still have a long backlog with new stuff to go through. Final order will decided later, but Ectoplasmorphosis will definitely be #1.

My list in progress.
  1. Ectoplasmorphosis - Vortex of Possessable Flesh - Brutal Death Metal
  2. Kill Division - Thoughts and Prayers (EP) - Death Metal/Grindcore
  3. Distaste - Der Ertraeger und das Fleisch - Grindcore
  4. Fatuous Rump - I Am at Your Disposal - Slam/Brutal Death Metal
  5. Kraanium - Scriptures of Vicennial Defilement - Slam/Brutal Death Metal
  6. Rotten Sound - Apocalypse - Grindcore
  7. Vomitory - All Heads Are Gonna Roll - Death Metal
  8. Wretched Fate - Carnal Heresy - Death Metal
  9. Stillbirth - Homo Deus - Brutal Death Metal/Deathcore
  10. Gravecrawler - Chapter III: Fallen Kingdoms (EP) - Death Metal
  11. Imperial Demonic - Beneath the Crimson Eclipse - Melodic black Metal
  12. Demon King - Vesania (EP) - Blackened Technical Death Metal
  13. Gridlink - Coronet Juniper - Technical Grindcore
  14. Olkoth - At the Eye of Chaos - Black/Death Metal

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:24 am 

thewrll wrote:
jimbies wrote:

I mean if you voted only a couple of times, could we actually tell they're you?

All jokes aside, I would never sacrifice the integrity of The List. Not even for my babies Larsie n' James

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:49 am 

Rowolta wrote:
Ectoplasmorphosis - Vortex of Possessable Flesh - Brutal Death Metal

I like the sound of this.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:18 am 

Empyreal wrote:

I think a lot of people will mellow out on the hate for this one as time goes on - expectation with those old bands is a bitch. That said there were so many other albums this year that I won't really have it on my top 10 at all.

For me its not holding up as well as Hardwired, but its not a bad album. Can't see it being in my top 10 though.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next