Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:02 pm 

From COF's official Facebook page:

It is with a very heavy leaden heart that Cradle Of Filth must announce the mutual departure of keyboardist Lindsay Schoolcraft from amidst the band’s ranks.

Lindsay has been with the band for the last 7 years and in that time has been privy to a massive resurgence both on record and live, with Cradle Of Filth undertaking some of the most prolific touring in the band’s 28-year history, a feat that has indelibly been both (ultimately) rewarding and understandably exhausting at the same time.

This is what Lindsay has to say on the matter…

“Dearest Filthlings,
It has been an honour and a pleasure to get to know you online, in person, and from the stage the past 7 years. You have made my life fulfilling during this period of time.

I am here to inform you that I have left the band. It was a difficult decision to make, but I can assure you it was the best thing to do for my well-being and mental health.

I have been doing well on my road to recovery and will continue to be a full-time musician through my other two musical projects.

I want to extend a massive thank you to the band for letting me be part of Cradle of Filth’s legacy for the time I was present. It was an incredible experience and I’m so grateful that we got to share this together.
I want to send my well wishes to my successor too and I ask you all to please be as warm and welcoming towards them as you were with me so long ago.

I hope that some of you will continue to join me on my journey as a composer and singer. The magick and the (black) metal doesn’t end here. Thank you again for all of the love, support, and memories. It will not be forgotten ♥️

All my love and gratitude,

Lindsay Schoolcraft”

And frontman Dani Filth had this to comment…

“This is very difficult for everyone in the band who have become a very tightly-knit family on the road, but ultimately it is something that has come to pass out of necessity both for her health and the band’s musical development hereon-in.
Of course we will miss Lindsay a lot and we hate to have to part ways, as we’ve travelled a beautifully madcap road together over the last few years and collectively share many amazing memories from those travels.

Plus she is like our little (Gothic, Canadian, Vegan) sister.

So the band and I wish her the very very best for everything she has planned for the future and i hope you guys reading this continue to support her too.

And though this truly is the end of an era, it is also the aromatic promise of another.

Lindsay’s successor has already been unearthed and is contributing to the new record like a demented unearthed thing.
The new album commences recording in a little over a fortnight’s time and a release date is set for later in the year.

I think we can all agree the last two albums were great, let's hope this doesn't affect the quality of the new one...

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:20 pm 

Unity wrote:
I think we can all agree the last two albums were great, let's hope this doesn't affect the quality of the new one...

I thought the last album was boring tbh. Hammer of the Witches was good though. I'm not sure how much she contributed creatively, but she did a good job live. We'll have to see what the new member brings to the table.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:27 pm 

I'm sure the new member will be great on keys, but I think their voice is going to be the most important part to get right. Lindsey really nailed that "ethereal female spirit" voice in a way that gave some atmosphere to the two last albums that was sorely missing since Sara Jezebel Deva left.
In the end- in life- aren't we all sort of wearing corpse-paint in front of a crowd of strangers? Or is that the most pathetic metal-themed analogy ever uttered? I cannot tell, but I feel a bit ashamed now.

NEW Valcove album: https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:35 pm 

I'm glad I got the opportunity to see them while she was still in the band - I really liked her voice a lot. Her narration on "Wester Vespertine" is part of the reason it's become one of my favorite songs from them. Same goes for "King of the Woods", which was way too good to be a b-side. I honestly thought they'd make three albums in a row with the exact same line-up for the first time ever, but uh...I guess I was wrong about that. In any case, I'm glad they seem to be on good terms with each other at the very least. I agree, the last two albums were great - their best material since at least "Midian".

Hoping the new keyboardist & female vocalist is good.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:42 pm 

I will miss her vocals, but I'm still looking forward to the new album. Hopefully it's out by Halloween?

Methuen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:39 pm 

When I saw them in the latter part of last year she looked reaaaaaallly uncomfortable on stage, so that's not the most surprising announcement.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:14 pm 

I saw them in April of 2018 and her vocals on Nymphetamine was one of the highlights of the show.

Space_alligator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:25 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
Unity wrote:

I thought the last album was boring tbh. Hammer of the Witches was good though. I'm not sure how much she contributed creatively, but she did a good job live. We'll have to see what the new member brings to the table.

Marthus actually writes the material plays the keyboards during recording, so there should not be any change there.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:35 pm 

I think this is one of the more reasonable departure announcements we've seen recently, so kudos to all involved on that. I think Lindsay is enormously talented and seemed like a cool person too.

I know that the statement says a successor has already been found - but would love to see Ashley Ellyllon back in the ranks (even though I understand how unlikely that is).

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:10 am 

Space_alligator wrote:
lordcatfish wrote:
Unity wrote:

Marthus actually writes the material plays the keyboards during recording, so there should not be any change there.

Ah OK. I knew he'd had some input with the keyboards, but wasn't sure to what extent. Might be mere coincidence, but I've found their material to generally be more forgettable and less engaging since he came on board. When he joined is where I tend to draw a dividing line in their career.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:11 am 

That's a classy departure, thank fuck we are spared from more inter-band-dramas.

I absolutely loved Hammer of the Witches but I could never get into Cryptoriana - The Seductiveness of Decay. No idea why since it's the same band members etc.

Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:15 am 

Both statements seem to hint at health concerns Lindsay is dealing with, so I'm wishing her all the best.

As for the band, I'm not too worried; they always found ways to pull through.

Huge kudos for how the announcement has been handled.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:56 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
Ah OK. I knew he'd had some input with the keyboards, but wasn't sure to what extent. Might be mere coincidence, but I've found their material to generally be more forgettable and less engaging since he came on board. When he joined is where I tend to draw a dividing line in their career.

I can kinda see what you're saying.
"Godspeed" was okay.
"Darkly Darkly Venus Aversa" was...just a lazier version of "Godspeed".
"Manticore" is horrible and my least favorite COF record. Yes, I actually do prefer "Thornography" over "Manticore" - "Thornography" at least has personality, even if it has some truly cringe-inducing moments.
Personally, I feel like Allender may have been the weakest link - his songwriting started getting stale in 2003 and just completely bottomed out in 2012...

I've really enjoyed the last two albums though, personally. I think the two new guitarists, Richard and Ashok, have brought new life into the band songwriting-wise.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:59 am 

IMO Manticore is clearly the weakest album they've made since Martin joined, but I still like it better than Thornography. With The Abhorrent and Succumb to This at least it starts and ends strong. The problem for me is too many songs in the middle don't stand out at all. I'm looking at the rest of the track list now and can't remember a single vocal or riff from many of them.

I guess I find Godspeed underrated. My only complaint with that one is it might be a bit bloated at over 70 minutes even without the bonus disc. Otherwise I've always considered it an enormous improvement compared to Thornography.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:12 am 

I like Thornography.

:boo:

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:10 pm 

Although it's no Vempire, I admittedly like the hypothetical Thornography EP:

1. Under Pregnant Skies... (possibly their best intro track)
2. Dirge Inferno
3. Lovesick for Mina
4. Rise of the Pentagram
5. Under Huntress Moon

I go back and forth on whether to include The Foetus of a New Day Kicking. It's sort of a guilty pleasure.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:27 pm 

Damn, those are the songs I actually like on "Thornography" too, especially "Under Huntress Moon". I wish that had been the closing track instead of "Temptation", which kind of makes me want to rip my own ear drums out so I never have to hear it again. The album could have at the very least ended on a high note, but noooo.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:34 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:

2. Dirge Inferno
3. Lovesick for Mina
4. Rise of the Pentagram
5. Under Huntress Moon

I go back and forth on whether to include The Foetus of a New Day Kicking. It's sort of a guilty pleasure.

That's a great breakdown, and most of the same reasons I view Thornography as a decent, catchy guilty pleasure as well. I kind of like I am the Thorn, too, as cheesy as that vocoded chorus can be. And I'll second Manticore as their weakest, other than Succumb to This (which sounds like something off Thornography anyway) that album went completely in one ear and out the other. Really shows how much Paul was phoning it in by that point.

Godspeed was definitely a bit overlong - would have flowed a lot better without Tragic Kingdom and Ten Leagues Beneath Contempt. Though that also highlights another one of Cryptoriana's strengths - they finally cut out the filler and delivered a really tight album with just one intro/interlude and seven full tracks, and it flows all the better for it.
In the end- in life- aren't we all sort of wearing corpse-paint in front of a crowd of strangers? Or is that the most pathetic metal-themed analogy ever uttered? I cannot tell, but I feel a bit ashamed now.

NEW Valcove album: https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:29 pm 

Got this in my email 'cause I'm subscribed to her mailing list.

"I'm sure many of you have heard the sad news by now. If not, you can read the statements on any of mine or the band's social media accounts.

I understand that while some of you came to find my solo work on your own, that also many of you are also here because you love Cradle of Filth.

It was a very hard decision for me to make, but I had to put my over all health and happiness first in order to continue to enjoy my life and making music.

I loved Cradle of Filth and all the memories I made with the band and fan. I gave so much of myself to that band, but after some time I was starting to see while the fans thought I was such a great fit, in my heart I felt otherwise.

Cradle of Filth was not my creation, not my baby, so many had come before me, and I still find it crazy that Cradle started when my little sister was born (she's 30 now btw). What a legacy! The hard truth is that Cradle was never my dream or vision and I was only aiding along someone else’s idea this entire time.

there is just so much more I want to do with my life artistically and musically and pushing that off year after year was also weighing on me too.

But everything is going to be ok! Me leaving was on amazing terms, we are all still good friends, and I wish the band nothing but the best for them moving forward.

Today I start tracking for my Ambient Harp Album and for those of you into the heavier music, my black metal band Antiqva will release a single later this year.

Http://www.facebook.com/antiqvaofficial

There has been such an influx of love and support for putting my mental health 1st and I can not begin to express my happiness towards the fact that people understand how important that is in this day and age.

I finish therapy at the end of this month and everyone close to me has really noticed a difference in my spirit.

Thank you for reading this and for those of you who plan to stick around know that is means the world to me.

- Lindsay"

I'm honestly just glad everyone's on good terms and that there was no bullshit drama like with, uh...other high profile departures (see: Nightwish circa 2005).

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:03 pm 

Says a lot about the way we're all used to metal departures in high-profile bands going that the drama-free nature of this one's worth commenting upon, doesn't it?

As for the actual news, good on her for realizing her mental health comes before the band, and good on the band for recognizing that it was a necessary choice for her to make.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:35 pm 

Methuen wrote:
When I saw them in the latter part of last year she looked reaaaaaallly uncomfortable on stage, so that's not the most surprising announcement.

Unfortunately I still haven't had the chance to catch them live and I've been meaning to since Hammer of the Witches came out. I can imagine how much of a potential bummer it could be being on stage with a band that isn't your creation and realizing that you still haven't done it for yourself or whatever.

Very excited for the new album, Cradle was really the first metal band that got me started.

Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:55 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:

2. Dirge Inferno
3. Lovesick for Mina
4. Rise of the Pentagram
5. Under Huntress Moon

Holy crap, are you me? That's literally the exact same tracklist I keep around on my phone - and sometimes I slap The Foetus of a New Day Kicking as well (but sometimes swap it with The Byronic Man.
Agreed about the intro being amazing; don't know why they didn't let Rehn handle the synths for the whole album.

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Damn, those are the songs I actually like on "Thornography" too, especially "Under Huntress Moon". I wish that had been the closing track instead of "Temptation", which kind of makes me want to rip my own ear drums out so I never have to hear it again. The album could have at the very least ended on a high note, but noooo.

I can't believe they put that shitstain on the cd and left a bunch of much better covers on the bonus disc (which won't play in standard cd players). At least a few of them resurfaced on the Godspeed... limited edition. The guest vocalist they had on Temptation sounds dreadful.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

~Guest 653788
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:23 pm 

Fuck. Cradle of Filth have parted ways with their keyboardist?

Death is a Gateway
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:50 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
Both statements seem to hint at health concerns Lindsay is dealing with, so I'm wishing her all the best.

Probably just burnout

BinBagOffensive
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:05 pm 

I hope to she does well, this is a nice departure from the more dramatic exits we have seen of late. Good vocals that suited the bands sound as well, hard role to fill.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:45 am 

Death is a Gateway wrote:
Probably just burnout

"just burnout"?

Hitting the wall and getting burnt out is no cakewalk.

BenjaminC81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:56 am 

Saw on facebook that she hooked up with Mortiis during his recent his US tour and are planning to do some stuff together. Could be interesting...

Death is a Gateway
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:23 am 

matras wrote:
Death is a Gateway wrote:
Probably just burnout

"just burnout"?

Hitting the wall and getting burnt out is no cakewalk.

What do you mean?

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:41 am 

I mean that burnout is a serious thing that can take years to recover from, and that it often has other serious consequences to your health. There's nothing "just" about burnout.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:59 pm 

matras is correct. Roy Khan suffered from a pretty bad burnout, which caused him to leave Kamelot. He stopped making music between 2010 and 2018, before finally reforming Conception. Floor Jansen suffered burnout as well between the two Revamp albums, "Wild Card" has a trilogy of songs about it. It took her a lot quicker to recover than Khan, but she still had to stop touring for a bit. Burnout causes severe and debilitating anxiety.

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:21 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Burnout causes severe and debilitating anxiety.

Yup, and/or anger issues (basically the same underlying root cause/emotion--fear & loss of control--just expressed differently), in which case folks tend to end up alienating the people around them, resulting in a lack of or much-reduced support network which makes recovery harder, results in yet more issues, and so on. Fair few folks end up getting bad habits that reinforce the burnout, too. Alcoholism and the likes.

So yeah, not something to handwave away like it's just a minor frustration.

Reply to topic