Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ThStealthP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:24 pm 

My random top for this thread?

1 - The Black Dahlia Murder
2 - King Diamond
3 - Vektor
4 - Carach Angren
5 - Rhapsody of Fire
6 - Draconian
7 - Neurosis
8 - Misery Index
9 - Down

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:48 pm 

My friend, you have over 600 posts on this forum! You should know that list threads with no explanation of your choices or even a proper OP that explains the topic will be locked quickly! :lol:

Are we talking consistency in output? As in "(near) perfect discographies"?

I think Iron Maiden have a very consistent catalog of albums, ranging from masterpieces to a bit boring and stale. They have no real stinkers, but it's been a while since they hit a home run as well. I guess that's the positive and negative sides of staying as "on track" as they have. Consistent to a fault.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:51 pm 

This topic has been done to death and the OP is the exact kind of thing I'm always telling y'all to not fucking do, but I'm going to let it slide for now because I'm in a forgiving mood and there's way more potential for discussion here than some of the other godawful list threads we've had recently.

But ffs even one more post like OP's and I'll nuke the whole goddamned site.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:58 pm 

I think My Dying Bride have had a very consistent discography. The only album I had trouble getting into was "34.788% Complete", and even then it grew on me eventually. I'd say they're the best gothic doom band, and then I remember that Type O Negative existed and I either really like or absolutely love (mostly absolutely love) every one of their albums, including the fake live one. They were a consistently fantastic and inventive band.

I also think Blind Guardian are mostly pretty damn consistent. "A Night at the Opera" is the only BG album I still have trouble getting into and then there are a few bangers on that one. It just has...well, a few really obnoxious songs too. They kind of took a "more is more" approach with that one. Sometimes that can work, but I feel that in the case of "A Night at the Opera", the results were at the very least mixed. Anyway, I like every other album they've done, so yeah.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:07 pm 

Blind Guardian totally fell off the rails for me with Beyond the Red Mirror. The one song on that album that worked was Twilight of the Gods, and everything else was a giant bore. After 30 years of phenomenal album after phenomenal album, they finally broke their streak and made something that mostly sucked. I haven't listened to the orchestral album because the pre-release songs were similarly as entrancing as watching grass grow in slow motion.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ThStealthP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:29 pm 

Vomitory split-up in 2011 with a consistent discography. An incredible feat for a straight-up death metal band.

TimeDoesNotHeal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:36 pm 

I feel like this is a really hard question to answer because, IMO, 99.99% of bands that release more than four or five albums blow it at some point. Almost all of the bands that I think of has having perfect or near-perfect discographies only put out 3 albums at the most. As far as bands with larger discographies that are close to that level, Bolt Thrower is one of the first that comes to my mind. I think they peaked pretty early, but they never put out a bad record, or even one that was just okay.

Coroner gets an honorable mention. They're one of my top 5 all-time bands on the strength of their first four albums, but my thoughts on Grin are always changing. Sometimes I think it's a very interesting departure, other times I think it's mind-numbingly boring. Again, they kind of get a pass from me for that, because I they're one of the very few bands who've done four albums that I consider to classics.

ThStealthP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:42 pm 

Nightwish was going to be a band with a consistent discography, but they failed, like Plankton with their attempt to steal the Krabby Patty secret formula.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:49 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
I think My Dying Bride have had a very consistent discography. The only album I had trouble getting into was "34.788% Complete", and even then it grew on me eventually. I'd say they're the best gothic doom band, and then I remember that Type O Negative existed and I either really like or absolutely love (mostly absolutely love) every one of their albums, including the fake live one. They were a consistently fantastic and inventive band.

MDB are definitely a reliably solid band. I'm not so much into them as I was during my "gothic metal" phase about 5 years ago, but I know I can always put on pretty much any of their albums for a good session of doom metal. My favourite is The Angel and the Dark River. That album just invokes an entire movie in my head.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:02 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Blind Guardian totally fell off the rails for me with Beyond the Red Mirror. The one song on that album that worked was Twilight of the Gods, and everything else was a giant bore. After 30 years of phenomenal album after phenomenal album, they finally broke their streak and made something that mostly sucked. I haven't listened to the orchestral album because the pre-release songs were similarly as entrancing as watching grass grow in slow motion.

I disagreed with this long and hard for a long time now. That band shat the bed after Thomen left and you all know. While I haven't heard everything from it yet, the new Demons & Wizards album just had me thinking "Now, why can't BG get a non-Disney guitar production and write something less overblown?". They need to stop writing for Nightwish fans.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

The_Emo_Hater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:19 pm 

Vader fits this thread.

They have had no real stinkers (though The Beast was a bit uninspired) and quite a few AOTY contenders. The run from The Art of War to present day is one of the most consistent of any metal band ever (yes I consider Necropolis and Empire nearly as good as Litany and TEI, fight me) and even with all the lineup changes over the years Peter is able to keep their sound more or less constant between albums; even today some songs off the newer albums could slot in nicely on the earlier albums. For example, take "Bones" off the new album, muddy the mixing up a bit and it could easily pass as a B-side to Revelations, or any of the short blasters from the last decade or so, kick the bass drums up a ton and boom, lost Litany tracks.

HviteGuden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:27 pm 

Primordial. Changed style not once, but always great.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:51 pm 

Both Isis and Emperor come to mind. Both have the same story- all the releases but one are classics, with the one still being a pretty awesome record (for Emperor, IX Equilibrium and for Isis, In The Absence Of Truth). Then they broke up when it felt right, which seems to the be the counter intuitive but good thing to do as a band.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:44 pm 

Wait... ThStealthP already created this same thread not so long ago viewtopic.php?f=1&t=126584
what's the point of this?

Oh, that thread no only was far more interesting but there's a guy who posted a list with dozens of bands in which he included Fucking Annihilator, in a list of bands with near perfect discography... of all bands... annihilator, probably the least consistent metal band of all times.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:01 pm 

You know, I can't think of a bad Nevermore release, just ones that are stronger than others.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:10 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
Wait... ThStealthP already created this same thread not so long ago viewtopic.php?f=1&t=126584
what's the point of this?

Oh ffs, good catch.

StealthP, come on dude.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.