Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:45 am 

Youtube: show

Metal Injection says the other song on the 7" is called "Mary on the Cross", and based on this song it's clear that these songs are gonna be deliberate throwbacks to 60s rock. I like it, although at least this edit of the song is clearly just meant to service the band's storyline. I hope the version on the actual single is a bit more developed than this version.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:02 pm 

I like the new song. If they went this route with their next album I'd be happy with that. It would be nice if they also flirted with some of the psychadelic 60's music and perhaps took a hint or two from Coven as well.

Ghost have been hit or miss with me. Loved the first records, didn't care for the second (perhaps mostly because of that horrible production). Loved the third album, didn't care much for the fourth. So I hope this will be another hit with me but I'm not counting on it.

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:36 pm 

It's a fun song. Doesn't always have to be so serious. Hopefully it was shortened for the video.

I like SOME songs on their last two albums, not familiar with the old stuff.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:02 pm 

A brief rundown of their first three albums for LordStenhammer:

Opus Eponymous: Satanic Blue Oyster Cult, with a heaping helping of Mercyful Fate influence thrown in for good measure. Riffs upon riffs galore all throughout. Every song kicks ass, but Ritual is the one they'll always play, no matter what.

Infestissumam: Much less guitar centric than the first album, but still heavy in its own way at times. More of a rock album than a metal album, honestly. Year Zero is the standout track on here for a reason, although Ghuleh/Zombie Queen is my personal favorite.

Meliora: Probably their best album from an overall standpoint, and the second most metallic behind the first one. This is where the big arena anthems that took over Prequelle started to take center stage, as the whole album just has this massive feel behind it. Cirice is a goddamn masterpiece of a song, and Absolution is similarly magnificent.

Anthony Pwl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:43 am 

InnesI wrote:
Ghost have been hit or miss with me. Loved the first records, didn't care for the second (perhaps mostly because of that horrible production). Loved the third album, didn't care much for the fourth. So I hope this will be another hit with me but I'm not counting on it.

My thoughts exactly.
But i hated this new.. song.
Prequelle only had a couple good tracks imo, and i didn't buy it. The band is heading on the same direction, album after album. At least that's consistent, that's why Im definitly not counting on Ghost anymore.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:37 am 

Anthony Pwl wrote:
Prequelle only had a couple good tracks imo, and i didn't buy it. The band is heading on the same direction, album after album. At least that's consistent, that's why Im definitly not counting on Ghost anymore.

It does seem that way judging by this track, but Tobias actually said in a recent interview that the upcoming album will be a return to a heavier, darker, and more metal-oriented sound. He also admitted that Prequelle was "a little ballad heavy" which is kind of an understatement but hey, at least he's self-aware :lol:.

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:44 am 

Subrick wrote:

Thank you for the summary, but are there any tracks with hit potential like He Is, Rats or Dance Macabre on their old records? I'm perverse like that for enjoying them the most. :)

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:01 am 

LordStenhammar wrote:
Subrick wrote:

Thank you for the summary, but are there any tracks with hit potential like He Is, Rats or Dance Macabre on their old records? I'm perverse like that for enjoying them the most. :)

Not Subrick, but imo the top two tracks from Infestissumam are Jigolo Har Megiddo, Idolatrine and Monstance Clock are probably the closest. It wasn't really until Square Hammer that Ghost had the extra pomp that Rats and Dance Macabre had (If you haven't listened to Square Hammer, highly recommend it it's 100% what you are looking for). Opus Eponymous is pretty mcuh a vastly different beast than the other albums imo, can't really say imo that any of the songs have that have the 'hit potential' you are looking for, though it has been a long time since I listned to it. Infestissumam was sort of when Tobias, despite experiment still sort of found his sound and visual style. Like, sure the latest song is a throwback to the 1960's/1970's stuff but Secular Haze's MV already had that done. Though hoenstly, now that I think back you'll prolly like Infestissumam in general, it's the rocky/throwback hit style - just don't expect the 1980's glamour of Rats or Dance Macabre

EDIT: So the single is available for streaming: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8TrB8_VfTv

Yeah, it sounds like Ghost emulating the 1960's sound. Like the keyboard sounds is fucking on point. It doesn't sound like it would actually be from the 1960's. Personally, I do enjoy them but it sure ain't no Tommy James & the Shondells or 13th Floor Elevators.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:10 am 

Those two songs sound decent enough, didn't quite grab me on first listen but they're definitely playing up that 60s influence.

I've enjoyed every album they've put out so far to varying extents but Opus and Meliora are my top favorites. Year Zero is also my top recommendation as far as "Ghost singles" go. If they made an album full of songs in that vein, I'd be happy.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:31 am 

I love Ghost a lot, but this new song is no bueno for me. I've always hated how goofy they've been. They had a chance to be kinda spooky, albeit cheesy, but the entire direction everything has taken with "sexy papa" is so stupid.

The B-side is a much better song if you ask me.

emperorjvl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:34 am 

I rank Infestissumam #1 - from track #3 it's all fantastic. Meliora and Opus may be a tie in a sense - Opus is consistently better, but "He Is" and "Absolution" always draw me to Meliora. Prequelle is not that great, still some good songs but my choices are not the usual ones - "See the Light" and the awesome "Life Eternal."

New track, meh, don't see myself coming back to it.

nuklearkrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:20 pm 

This band sucks and I can't believe people are still talking about them.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:53 pm 

Well considering that they’re big enough that they play arenas in the United States, of course people still talk about them. That kind of happens when you’ve become one of the biggest metal bands in the world.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:25 pm 

It's like Kiss or Gwar, their music also sucks, but people have fun with them and for some strange reason people like to have fun sometimes.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:54 pm 

I saw them open for Iron Maiden a few years ago and I was kind of surprised how much more energized their live show sounds compared to their anemic records. If they bought that kind of energy to their recorded work I'd actually find them good enough to listen to.

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

KinskiTemper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:56 pm 

The EP is really great, so catchy. I've listened to it multiple times since yesterday.

Space_alligator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:25 pm 

nuklearkrieg wrote:

13 years old and just discovered black metal?

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:29 pm 

Space_alligator wrote:
13 years old and just discovered black metal?

Yes and creating a Metal Archives account two years before birth.

Dullahan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:35 pm 

Hey, at least Tobias seems to be stretching his range a tad more. My main gripe with Ghost is how unsure he sounded with his singing sometimes, always preferring to stick to cyclical melody lines. He sounds more relaxed and lively in these new tracks.

Natskygge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:36 am 

While "Prequelle" has grown on me, I still think that album all in all sounds a bit "deflated" in a way. Uninspired, perhaps.
So I was bit apprehensive when I heard about this EP the other day. But I must say that it's better than I anticipated. Well, "Kiss the Go-Goat" is a bit dull, to be fair, but "Mary on a Cross" is a return to form, I think.
To me, it's insanely catchy - I can't remember the last time I've listened to just one song so many times as I've listened to this one the last couple of days. On Friday alone I listened to it before going to work, before work began, during my lunch break (I usually never listen to music in my break), and a handful of times once I got home. I don't know, I guess it appeals to my inner teenage girl, the same way "He is" did. (As I discussed with a friend once, we were both the kind of girls who didn't fit in with the boyband-fangirls and we never got the appeal of those songs. But "He is" felt like 'our' boyband-song, 15 years late.)
I guess I better go get tickets for their upcoming concert. ;)

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:14 am 

Well, I like ‘em. After more than 3 decades of listening to everything from classic metal, to thrash, to death, to black, to doom, to power, not many bands were exciting me anymore, as I'd kind of heard it all before. Then Ghost came along and were a breath of fresh air.

They got lumped in with the doom genre originally, which I really didn’t see, as to me they were more like Blue Oyster Cult with a bit of Mercyful Fate and The Doors thrown in, but I’ve followed the band since their debut came out and I’ve enjoyed every album they’ve released. Admittedly, there’s at least 1 song on each album that is their Gangland/Escape/Am I Going Insane (Radio), but even those are alright.

And as much as I liked their last album, take away the intro, the 2 instrumentals, plus a couple of rocking tunes and you’re left with half an album of ballads. And that's just too many. I’ll allow a band 2 ballads at most on an album. But no more. Ghost should have turned a couple of the ballads into rockers, or maybe included Square Hammer on the album, to even things up a bit.

As for the 2 new tunes, they sound good. Hopefully the next Ghost album will sound like them, too.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:17 am 

I don't mind the music so much, it's his lyrics. I knew he was always goofy in concert (talking about the female orgasm for long enough that they could have played 2 more songs), but I'm trying to pinpoint when the lyrics became juvenile and silly on record.

exsiccation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:57 pm 

jimbies wrote:
I don't mind the music so much, it's his lyrics. I knew he was always goofy in concert (talking about the female orgasm for long enough that they could have played 2 more songs), but I'm trying to pinpoint when the lyrics became juvenile and silly on record.

Probably the first album? The juxtaposition of 60s and 70s rock with explicitly Satanic themes and imagery was there from the start, and I don't think the lyrics were ever "mature".

nuklearkrieg wrote:

The gimmick works on people who would otherwise dismiss "legitimate" Satanic music, and the music itself is catchy enough to be popular far outside of the metal genre. Doesn't surprise me that they've become more popular with pretty much every album. And to be honest, the music is pretty good too. I'd certainly take Ghost over a lot of other far more "serious" bands.

It's kinda like Dethklok - metal fans are able to poke fun at themselves, and the people who think metal is silly can also enjoy it because it more or less validates that opinion. It also serves as a gateway into other types of metal, once people start getting curious and digging deeper into other bands.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:13 pm 

nuklearkrieg wrote:

Outside of this site I've never seen/heard anyone talk about this band. I've never even listened to their music until now, and going from the track posted here it isn't even metal.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:36 pm 

exsiccation wrote:
And to be honest, the music is pretty good too. I'd certainly take Ghost over a lot of other far more "serious" bands.

I'd much rather listen to Haunt.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nMPWAyQEm2g

I tried the new song and couldn't sit through it, its just bad uninspired rock with a terrible gimmick.

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:27 pm 

Personally, I think what Ghost is doing is great or at the very least extremely creative in terms of what they've done with their gimmick. The first half of the new music video is brilliant; great songwriting, too!

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:01 pm 

It's interesting. I don't love the new songs, but I like them well enough. I kind of like the 60's rock vibe and I enjoy their music enough that I have seen them live a few times. My wife loves them, and considering she used to like country and hip hop when I met her, I have been supporting her new love of hard rock music.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:09 pm 

For anyone not familiar with the band and the gimmick:

According to Ghost lore, this is a "re-release" of a 7" that was originally done in 1969, when Papa Nihil was the vocalist. That explains the '60's sound and cover art.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:32 pm 

I wonder if the Go-Goat has fangs...

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell
RIP DIO

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:46 pm 

Dark_Gnat wrote:
For anyone not familiar with the band and the gimmick:

According to Ghost lore, this is a "re-release" of a 7" that was originally done in 1969, when Papa Nihil was the vocalist. That explains the '60's sound and cover art.

That also explains why it isn't called "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Goat".

Kutulu
Tzeentchian Rubric Manipulator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:43 pm 

nuklearkrieg wrote:

Reply to topic