Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:45 pm 

I have a dumb question, will the Morbus Ascendit reissue ever see the light of day? Or the Chemical Breath reissues? It seems they've been promised for years now. Oh wait, they have... :(

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:17 pm 

androdion wrote:
I have a dumb question, will the Morbus Ascendit reissue ever see the light of day? Or the Chemical Breath reissues? It seems they've been promised for years now. Oh wait, they have... :(

You mean this?
http://www.darkdescentrecords.com/store ... ts_id=9013

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:35 pm 

true_death wrote:
androdion wrote:

You mean this?
http://www.darkdescentrecords.com/store ... ts_id=9013

When... What... How...

Ah fuck it, it's coming! :hyper: (glad I asked)

Seemannsdaemlack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:13 am 

ThrashAD720 wrote:
Next set of Noise records reissues are gonna be announce this Friday.

It's Skyclad.

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/sk ... se-records

ThrashAD720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:16 pm 

Seemannsdaemlack wrote:
ThrashAD720 wrote:
Next set of Noise records reissues are gonna be announce this Friday.

It's Skyclad.

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/sk ... se-records

My reaction that its not Tankard

Seemannsdaemlack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:05 pm 

The remastered version of Pestilence - Consuming Impulse was just released on bandcamp as download.

https://hammerheart.bandcamp.com/album/ ... ng-impulse

Spoiler: show
foobar2000 1.3.16 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2017-09-08 23:00:43

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Pestilence / Consuming Impulse
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR9 -1.10 dB -10.94 dB 3:07 01-Dehydrated
DR9 -1.10 dB -10.80 dB 2:41 02-The Process Of Suffocation
DR9 -1.10 dB -11.09 dB 3:29 03-Suspended Animation
DR9 -1.10 dB -11.08 dB 3:20 04-The Trauma
DR9 -1.10 dB -11.31 dB 3:57 05-Chronic Infection
DR9 -1.10 dB -11.10 dB 4:39 06-Out Of The Body
DR10 -1.10 dB -11.48 dB 4:16 07-Echoes Of Death
DR9 -1.10 dB -10.70 dB 4:53 08-Deify Thy Master
DR9 -1.10 dB -11.04 dB 2:08 09-Proliferous Souls
DR9 -1.10 dB -11.55 dB 4:54 10-Reduced To Ashes

Number of tracks: 10
Official DR value: DR9

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 16
Bitrate: 1035 kbps
Codec: FLAC
===========================================

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:31 pm 

Just an FYI for anyone that bought the Consuming Impulse or Malleus reissues from Bandcamp. HH has updated those downloads with bonus tracks. DR values for the album tracks are the same as before - quite good. Bonus tracks are quite compressed. Haven't listened to either in full yet, so can't comment extensively.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:58 pm 

Blind Guardian's first seven studio albums, the "Live" and "Tokyo Tales" live albums, and the "The Forgotten Tales" compilation are about to be reissued again by Nuclear Blast at the end of October. From what I've learned, the first four of the seven along with "Night at the Opera" are new 2017 remasters and the rest are from 2007 except for "Live," which has the same as the initial release.

Now, I'm not the closest follower of BG but I'm aware there was some controversy over a boxset some time ago regarding what it included and what was remixed and remastered then and how and that sort of thing.

My question is, what are generally regarded as the definitive versions of Blind Guardian's material, originals notwithstanding because of availability? Would any or all of these new reissues be worth picking up or mixing and matching them with others already out there?

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:19 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
Blind Guardian's first seven studio albums, the "Live" and "Tokyo Tales" live albums, and the "The Forgotten Tales" compilation are about to be reissued again by Nuclear Blast at the end of October. From what I've learned, the first four of the seven along with "Night at the Opera" are new 2017 remasters and the rest are from 2007 except for "Live," which has the same as the initial release.

Now, I'm not the closest follower of BG but I'm aware there was some controversy over a boxset some time ago regarding what it included and what was remixed and remastered then and how and that sort of thing.

My question is, what are generally regarded as the definitive versions of Blind Guardian's material, originals notwithstanding because of availability? Would any or all of these new reissues be worth picking up or mixing and matching them with others already out there?

edit: now that I know about the 2013 set, I've realized the beginning of my post is unclear; I'm talking about the 2007 remasters

A few years ago I bought the first 6 of those Blind Guardian remastered CDs when Century Media had them priced at like $2.50 each -- which in hindsight should have been a clue. So it was Battalions through Nightfall. They were all remastered quite loud/hot. I can't even listen to the Nightfall in Middle Earth one; every time those multitracked choruses erupt, it's almost ear piercing.

I will say, however, that the remastering kind of works on the first two albums (Battalions and Follow the Blind). They always sounded too thin and quiet, so they're not overwhelmingly brickwalled or anything. I haven't listened to the three others enough to really judge them. I'd wait for more information about this new set, see if the press release mentions this kind of thing. Ideally wait until other people who give a shit about remastering have heard them.

I don't even know what Nuclear Blast's remastering track record is, now that I think about it. Century Media is hit and miss: the Dawn and Sacramentum were good; Dark Funeral and Num Skull were horrific. Aren't these companies merged or something?

On the plus side, as mentioned upthread, there does seem to be (finally) a pendulum swing back toward more dynamic, attentive mastering these days, so let's hope that affects these remastering projects too.

edit: oh and now I'm seeing there was a 2013 set as well, in some cases remixed but all remastered again.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:05 am 

ThrashAD720 wrote:

Open up a cold one, Tankard Noise reissues are happening: https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/ta ... s-reissues
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:56 am 

It’s taken a few years by now, but the reissue of “Serenadium” by Iniquity is FINALLY being released on November 10th with the “The Hidden Lore” EP as bonus tracks through Mighty Music. As of now, it can be pre-ordered through the Target Group (not that Target) Bandcamp here: https://targetgroup.bandcamp.com/album/ ... re-release

To commemorate the occasion, the band is playing the album in its entirety on the opening night of a 2-night event celebrating the label’s 20th anniversary the day of release at the Halmtorvet 9 in Copenhagen. After that, they are finished for good. No more shows or new material, but the fact they’ve given it another shot is worthy of thanks.

I’m sure enough interest might incentivize them to reissue the rest of their albums, too...

To DeathfareDevil, now you can see my confusion. Between the different mixes and masters, it’s tough to gauge as someone who’d rather measure twice and cut once rather than go through every single iteration out there. On one hand, I have confidence these new reissues from Nuclear Blast are worth the investment, but I probably won’t know for sure until after they’re out and the bigger fans have done a compare and contrast.

ThrashAD720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:04 pm 

TheWaltzer wrote:
ThrashAD720 wrote:

Open up a cold one, Tankard Noise reissues are happening: https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/ta ... s-reissues

Order them a week ago and now i gotta wait till the end of November of these to shipped.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:40 pm 

It would make my year if Monstrosity's Imperial Doom would finally be reissued.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:39 pm 

Reissue of Heavy Load's Stronger Than Evil (CD/LP) now available for pre-order on No Remorse Records' website (release date January 26)

http://www.noremorse.gr/intro.php

ThrashAD720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:56 am 

Noise added the rest of the Tankard reissues on the Pledge Music site.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:34 am 

A reissue of “Blood Ritual” by Samael will be released on December 8th through Century Media. As far as I can tell, it’s only being made available in a vinyl/CD combo package. I’m just interested in the CD so if there’s anyone who just wants the vinyl, let me know either here or in a PM so we can work out an arrangement.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:22 pm 

Leviathan- The First Sublevel Of Suicide
Well I suppose this isn't exactly a reissue since this is the first time this material is getting released, but it is old demo-era Leviathan with some sound engineering by Ken Sorceron. Not really expecting this to pique the interest of anyone but Leviathan fan-boys (of which I include myself), but those old Leviathan demos have a lot of great tracks throughout, so hearing something from the vaults of that era is exciting.

https://ascensionmonumentsmedia.bandcam ... of-suicide

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:53 pm 

So that Holy Terror boxset is out now (I actually don't know if the physical release is out, but here's the bandcamp): https://dissonanceproductions.bandcamp. ... tal-terror

And based off what's there to listen to on the bandcamp page, I'm happy to say it seems as though the audio glitches present in a few songs off Mind Wars (the most glaring and often pointed out one being towards the end of Judas Reward) have FINALLY been fixed. Plus it has all the El Revengo tracks as well, so in case you're like me and you really liked those few remixed Mind Wars tracks and the alternate mix for Terror & Submission, it's there. Their remaster of it sounds alright, but the El Revengo tracks are still the best IMO. Mind Wars (the album) sounds pretty much the best it ever has since its original release.

A Fool's Gold/Terminal Humor/Mind Wars are still split into 3 tracks for some reason, so I'm starting to think maybe that's how it was intended to be and they were all mashed together early on, which is a shame because I've always seen them as one whole track all this time, but combining them all in Audacity won't take much effort.

So yeah, for all you Holy Terror fans out there, there's finally a re-release of all their stuff that's worth getting now. Shame on Blackend, Powerage, and Candlelight for making us all sit through their garbage reissues of the same 2CD compilation with no attempt to fix the audio glitches, but now we can finally put all that crap to rest.

rooster85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:36 pm 

SkullFracturingNightmare wrote:
So that Holy Terror boxset is out now (I actually don't know if the physical release is out, but here's the bandcamp): https://dissonanceproductions.bandcamp. ... tal-terror

And based off what's there to listen to on the bandcamp page, I'm happy to say it seems as though the audio glitches present in a few songs off Mind Wars (the most glaring and often pointed out one being towards the end of Judas Reward) have FINALLY been fixed. Plus it has all the El Revengo tracks as well, so in case you're like me and you really liked those few remixed Mind Wars tracks and the alternate mix for Terror & Submission, it's there. Their remaster of it sounds alright, but the El Revengo tracks are still the best IMO. Mind Wars (the album) sounds pretty much the best it ever has since its original release.

A Fool's Gold/Terminal Humor/Mind Wars are still split into 3 tracks for some reason, so I'm starting to think maybe that's how it was intended to be and they were all mashed together early on, which is a shame because I've always seen them as one whole track all this time, but combining them all in Audacity won't take much effort.

So yeah, for all you Holy Terror fans out there, there's finally a re-release of all their stuff that's worth getting now. Shame on Blackend, Powerage, and Candlelight for making us all sit through their garbage reissues of the same 2CD compilation with no attempt to fix the audio glitches, but now we can finally put all that crap to rest.

Not exactly. It would be FAR better if each album was in seperate jewel case - with original artwork etc. This boxset is better than Blackend, Powerage and Candlelight reissues, but it's still not the definitive collection.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:39 pm 

Obsession are reissuing their 1980s albums on Inner Wound Records next month.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:44 am 

rooster85 wrote:
Not exactly. It would be FAR better if each album was in seperate jewel case - with original artwork etc. This boxset is better than Blackend, Powerage and Candlelight reissues, but it's still not the definitive collection.

That is true, but I'd still say it's the definitive collection as far as the audio's concerned.

Seemannsdaemlack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:38 am 

High Roller Records will re-release the first 3 Stormwitch albums on vinyl in May 2018

https://www.hrrshop.de/STORMWITCH-Walpu ... LP-BLACK_1
https://www.hrrshop.de/STORMWITCH-Walpu ... P-ORANGE_1

https://www.hrrshop.de/STORMWITCH-Tales ... LP-BLACK_1
https://www.hrrshop.de/STORMWITCH-Tales ... P-YELLOW_1

https://www.hrrshop.de/STORMWITCH-Stron ... LP-BLACK_1
https://www.hrrshop.de/STORMWITCH-Stron ... YAL-BLUE_1

Nice!

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:43 pm 

ThrashAD720 wrote:
Flying Dolphin Administration? What the hell kind of name is that?

Sounds like a Saul Goodman company :)

ModusOperandi wrote:
It’s taken a few years by now, but the reissue of “Serenadium” by Iniquity is FINALLY being released on November 10th with the “The Hidden Lore” EP as bonus tracks through Mighty Music. As of now, it can be pre-ordered through the Target Group (not that Target) Bandcamp here: https://targetgroup.bandcamp.com/album/ ... re-release

Nice find! Especially after coming to terms with the fact that I'm never going to be able to get my hands on The Hidden Lore EP without paying an arm and a leg for it.

Required Fields wrote:

Is that something that's on the table or just wishful thinking? That would make a lot of people's year, mine too.

ThrashAD720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:18 pm 

Did any of you guys got the first three Tankard albums in the mail yet?

Seemannsdaemlack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:15 am 

ThrashAD720 wrote:
Did any of you guys got the first three Tankard albums in the mail yet?

Yes.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:15 am 

Electrocution's classic album Inside the Unreal was just reissued on CD by The Crypt:

http://www.darksymphonies.com/mm5/merch ... e=DARK96CD

Bonus tracks are a bunch of demo songs that weren't on the album, as well as a few songs from releases just after the album. My copy is in the mail from Dark Descent. I've had a copy of the album for years but I'm pretty stoked to hear those bonus tracks.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:01 am 

Nice, didn't know they were even reissuing that. I'd been meaning to buy the 20th anniversary reissue from 2012 for the longest time and it just completely dissipated from my mind, but hey I'll take a basic jewel case reissue over yet another digipak any day.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:43 am 

Required Fields wrote:

That WOULD be nice!

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:12 pm 

Hexx is reissuing their Quest for Sanity and Watery Graves EPs next month (on a single disc, if I recall correctly).

It is also the first time either of them are officially available on CD as well.

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:06 am 

Was just listening to this today thinking it seriously needs a proper release after all these years. Just as good as Acid Bath for my money, if not better. Fucking amazing album.

Pestbesmittad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:39 am 

Required Fields wrote:
Hexx is reissuing their Quest for Sanity and Watery Graves EPs next month (on a single disc, if I recall correctly).

It is also the first time either of them are officially available on CD as well.

Vic Records is handling the Hexx reissue and it will be out on vinyl too.

Also Kreator's 90s albums get a reissue:

On February 23rd Kreator will be re-releasing the four classic albums "Coma Of Souls", "Renewal", "Cause For Conflict" and "Outcast" with plenty of bonus material and liner notes on deluxe CD, coloured vinyl and digital.

Info on tracklists can be found behind the links:

Pre-Order here:

Coma Of Souls
https://BMG.lnk.to/KreatorComaLP
https://BMG.lnk.to/KreatorComaCD

Renewal
https://BMG.lnk.to/KreatorRenewalLP
https://BMG.lnk.to/KreatorRenewalCD

Cause For Conflict
https://BMG.lnk.to/KreatorCauseLP
https://BMG.lnk.to/KreatorCauseCD

Outcast
https://BMG.lnk.to/KreatorOutcastLP
https://BMG.lnk.to/KreatorOutcastCD

Pestbesmittad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:16 am 

CD reissues of the old Destruction albums are available from High Roller: https://www.hrrshop.de/Euro_3 . The official release date seems to be 23.2/1.3 according to Amazon. We're talking Sentence of Death, Infernal Overkill, Eternal Devastation, Mad Butcher, Release from Agony, Live Without Sense and Cracked Brain.

Last edited by Pestbesmittad on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pestbesmittad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:52 am 

30.3. three Deathrow reissues from Noise.

Pre-orders are live now at the below links!

Riders Of Doom - 2LP & CD
https://deathrow.lnk.to/RidersOfDoomCD
https://deathrow.lnk.to/RidersOfDoomLP

Raging Steel - 2LP & CD
https://deathrow.lnk.to/RagingSteelCD
https://deathrow.lnk.to/RagingSteelLP

Deception Ignored - LP & CD
https://deathrow.lnk.to/DeceptionIgnoredCD
https://deathrow.lnk.to/DeceptionIgnoredLP

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:28 am 

Those Deathrow reissues sound promising. I hope they can source their first two albums from the masters this time, since the 2008 Displeased versions were from vinyl and kind of lacking in sound.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:42 pm 

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, thought it'd might interest a few folks. Pungent Stench's back catalogue is being reissued, details on the link below.

http://www.dissonanceproductions.co.uk/ ... nt-stench/

ThrashAD720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:50 pm 

3 Deathrow CDs for $50 isn't that a bit much?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:06 am 

CCSaint10 wrote:
Those Deathrow reissues sound promising. I hope they can source their first two albums from the masters this time, since the 2008 Displeased versions were from vinyl and kind of lacking in sound.

I just spent my early morning listening to those Displeased reissues, have them on my shelf for years, and I can't understand your complaint. Both discs sound great for the era they come from and actually sound better than, for instance, the Target reissues. Raging Steel sounds all neat and clean and Satan's Gift sounds like a mid-80s Kreator album so again I can't find faults in those reissues. Well, apart from the fact that the printed images on the discs seem to be peeling off (damn!).

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:00 pm 

It's mostly just the fact that they're so loud and compressed when they don't need to be. It hampers the drum sound on Raging Steel, but Stan's Gift doesn't sound that bad. I was mostly just saying that if they got the masters and didn't brickwall it badly, it'd probably sound a fair bit better than the Displeased ones.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:21 pm 

Fair enough. ;) Funny that they still list Scattered by the Wind in two parts even though it's just one song.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:52 pm 

I'll never understand why there seem to be so few instances of a middle ground between "how an album originally sounded" and "BLAST IT INTO THE FUCKING RED WOOOO!!!" Obviously there have been good remasters, and thankfully since this whole conversation started among the music buying public there has been more of a push for reasonable remastering efforts (not to mention original production jobs), but good god how do professionals listen to brickwalled audio and say, "yep, job well done"? Surely there's a setting on that dial* between 1 and 10.

*an oversimplification for the sake of clarity

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26  Next