Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:25 pm 

Blood Music has quickly turned from a great idea for a label to a money-hungry bastardization trying to appeal to the 1% of the metal community. From a business perspective it's pretty brilliant, but it's a huge "fuck you" to the majority of fans who will want this stuff but just can't afford it.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:54 pm 

Still kicking myself over the fact I missed this year's wonderful Darkness Descends re-issue, especially after being disgusted with the Back on Black re-issue of the album years ago and selling it.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:49 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Blood Music has quickly turned from a great idea for a label to a money-hungry bastardization trying to appeal to the 1% of the metal community. From a business perspective it's pretty brilliant, but it's a huge "fuck you" to the majority of fans who will want this stuff but just can't afford it.

While I try not get too unsettled about how this tiered music economy is panning out (which is to say, pretty much like the rest of our fractured economy, from healthcare to internet access), I will become full of rage on a supernova level if Blood Music gets the exclusive rights to all those Emperor demo tapes someone posted a pic of months ago, and they release them as part of this vinyl set only. At least that new Zeppelin catalog reissue gives people choices.

I should add that I neither have nor want a turntable, so I was never the marketing target for these kinds of mass disposable income extraction projects anyway.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:01 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
Still kicking myself over the fact I missed this year's wonderful Darkness Descends re-issue, especially after being disgusted with the Back on Black re-issue of the album years ago and selling it.

There's a crap load of Darkness Descends reissues, I don't really know which one is the best one to get. I have the 2008 reissue by Century Media. I bought it off Discogs because Hells Headbangers was out of stock of their issues.

I wanted the version with the original artwork, but Century Media's reissue has the artwork with the band logo directly above the gravestone. I don't like it, to say the least :ugh:

And yes, I am that picky about it haha.

mark of the devil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:15 pm 

Lots of crying about the emperor re-issue.....why?

So you don't want to pay a huge amount for all that? Get the cds. Listen to Youtube rips. The audience that Blood Music targets are who it is made for. Those die hard fans that dont mind spending a ton of cash on something if it is special.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:37 am 

mark of the devil wrote:
Lots of crying about the emperor re-issue.....why?

So you don't want to pay a huge amount for all that? Get the cds. Listen to Youtube rips. The audience that Blood Music targets are who it is made for. Those die hard fans that dont mind spending a ton of cash on something if it is special.

Oh, I get it now... :oh shit:

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:29 am 

I still don't agree with the label's membership policy, but I don't know how people can complain that such a huge undertaking of a project costs a lot of money. Thing is, it's hardly overpriced; ~$400 seems like a totally fair price for 14 LPs plus a ton of goodies. It'd be even stupider if they split the Moonsorrow or Emperor boxes into four separate purchasable parts; then people would accuse them of being even more of money whores. It's like they're offended by the fact that anybody would ever dare to make a product that they can't afford.

But then again I hate Emperor more than most things in life and so I'm hardly very sympathetic to the plight of their fanbase. Maybe I'd be grumpier if this were a !T.O.O.H.! box set or something.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:39 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
I hate Emperor

Is such a thing possible? :nono:

I'm cool with Blood Music's prices. Those are usually reasonable. What I dislike is their membership thing. If the Emperor box set sells out before becoming available to the general public, I will destroy someone.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:11 pm 

SkullFracturingNightmare wrote:
THEMICRULAH wrote:

There's a crap load of Darkness Descends reissues, I don't really know which one is the best one to get. I have the 2008 reissue by Century Media. I bought it off Discogs because Hells Headbangers was out of stock of their issues.

I wanted the version with the original artwork, but Century Media's reissue has the artwork with the band logo directly above the gravestone. I don't like it, to say the least :ugh:

And yes, I am that picky about it haha.

I'm picky too bro that's why I hated the Back on Black re-issue. If the original was a single vinyl why unnecessarily make it a double. So stupid. I'll probably have to resort to Discogs for it like you did.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:26 pm 

I'm not hating on the price of the Moonsorrow box, nor on the expectedly much higher price tag on the upcoming Emperor box. What I am is finding it so amusing how things are being made in that label, because like it or not they do cost a ton of money! Do some of you people even realize that the Moonsorrow box with shipping would've cost me almost as much one minimum wage in my country? And that the Emperor box will probably cost 50-100€ more, making it a month's worth of pay? Call me old fashioned, but that just seems like too much. And it's even funnier that many of the people that defend this practice are then accusing big labels like CM, NB and others of only thinking about money. But I'm already on a big tangent here so I'll stop. What I find funny is that some people can't understand that not everyone has the same opinion about the same things.

For those wondering, I would bet an arm and a leg that the box will sell out in advance due to the membership thingy. And I very much believe that a lot, and I mean really a lot, of people will pay the membership fee just for the opportunity of buying that box. No one will be able to buy it sans a membership, read my words. And when you think about it, hey it's just more money into the label's pockets because there's an ultra-hyper-supernova-mega-limited edition that will never happen again. The underground has always provided us with limited editions of the things we like, but those were mostly due to a) lack of money to print more, or b) cult status (mainly BM stuff limited to 100 or less). Here it's made solely for the money. Don't you people even doubt that.

OK, but I'll give an argument most can agree with, in spite of my personal view on Blood Music's shenanigans. Someone mentioned if all the rare and unreleased material the band has will only see the light of day in this box, and that is a damn fine argument to be made here! So unless I listen to vinyl I can't have access to that material? And even then I have to pay for a ridiculously limited box to be able to listen to it?

I can always go listen to Youtube rips right?!

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:53 am 

Necroharmonic just reissue his back catalogue with bands like Disciples Of Mockery and Crematory (Swe)

http://necroharmonic.bigcartel.com/

"You make it easy."

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:19 pm 

androdion wrote:
I'm not hating on the price of the Moonsorrow box, nor on the expectedly much higher price tag on the upcoming Emperor box. What I am is finding it so amusing how things are being made in that label, because like it or not they do cost a ton of money! Do some of you people even realize that the Moonsorrow box with shipping would've cost me almost as much one minimum wage in my country? And that the Emperor box will probably cost 50-100€ more, making it a month's worth of pay? Call me old fashioned, but that just seems like too much. And it's even funnier that many of the people that defend this practice are then accusing big labels like CM, NB and others of only thinking about money. But I'm already on a big tangent here so I'll stop. What I find funny is that some people can't understand that not everyone has the same opinion about the same things.

For those wondering, I would bet an arm and a leg that the box will sell out in advance due to the membership thingy. And I very much believe that a lot, and I mean really a lot, of people will pay the membership fee just for the opportunity of buying that box. No one will be able to buy it sans a membership, read my words. And when you think about it, hey it's just more money into the label's pockets because there's an ultra-hyper-supernova-mega-limited edition that will never happen again. The underground has always provided us with limited editions of the things we like, but those were mostly due to a) lack of money to print more, or b) cult status (mainly BM stuff limited to 100 or less). Here it's made solely for the money. Don't you people even doubt that.

...So your problem is that they made something so comprehensive that it costs too much for most people to afford? I don't think that's the label's problem whatsoever. You don't seem to be offering any solution to the problem other than wishing that such a boxed set had never been conceived, which seems kind of silly... would you really prefer that it just not exist at all, rather than it existing and costing what all the materials inside are truly worth? While we're at it, let's complain about Murciélagos and Z06 Corvettes existing, because they're nice but also expensive and I can't afford them. Also, because those cars' manufacturers make lots of money off of selling their products which cost a lot to make*gasp*.

androdion wrote:
OK, but I'll give an argument most can agree with, in spite of my personal view on Blood Music's shenanigans. Someone mentioned if all the rare and unreleased material the band has will only see the light of day in this box, and that is a damn fine argument to be made here! So unless I listen to vinyl I can't have access to that material? And even then I have to pay for a ridiculously limited box to be able to listen to it?

This, I can agree with you on. Making a limited collectors' edition of an otherwise common album is one thing, but forcing people to shell out hundreds to get to own the music at all seems pretty scummy to me. Reminds me of how EEE Recordings (the record label run by the dorks in Njiqahdda) were trying to charge $40-50 for the last remaining copies of their own releases. Easily the shittiest, most morally detestable thing I've seen a label do besides outright not sending their orders.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:53 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
androdion wrote:

This, I can agree with you on. Making a limited collectors' edition of an otherwise common album is one thing, but forcing people to shell out hundreds to get to own the music at all seems pretty scummy to me. Reminds me of how EEE Recordings (the record label run by the dorks in Njiqahdda) were trying to charge $40-50 for the last remaining copies of their own releases. Easily the shittiest, most morally detestable thing I've seen a label do besides outright not sending their orders.

Picking up where we can find some agreement, and taking from there to answer the first question you made about the other bit. I'm all about labels doing extra cool limited box sets, believe it or not. In fact, I have some myself, albeit in CD format since I don't do vinyl. With that being said, and cutting to the chase, my personal opinion is that box sets should be released only as a compilation of material already released by a band. Like those "The Century Media Years" boxes where you can buy all the stuff a certain band released while on that label, or an anthology box set that compiles previously released material into a single box. That makes sense since a fan that wasn't around when the original material was released can pick up a cool new limited box instead of hunting down a dozen different albums. So if that's solely what they're doing here, reluctantly I'll say that it's fine for them to do it because it's only fair for vinyl lovers to have the same treatment. I say reluctantly because of the next point, which is the money thing we've been talking about.

And we've discussed it on the other thread about the mystery purchases really. Blood Music changed the way they work over time, to include more quantity, bigger releases and incrementally larger and larger compilation box sets. To the point where they've just released a 14LP set and they're already announcing an even bigger one with a year in advance! When I said before that this is getting ridiculous very very fast I was referring to their business MO and the way they're constantly one upping themselves, to a point where someday the regular Joe will have to decide if he eats or buys their stuff. You gave and example about cars for rich people and I'll have to agree with you on that, since Blood Music is turning exactly into that, metal for the rich. I know this comment will most likely bring me a lot of hate, but that's the way I view all of this. Constantly bringing more and more on the table can be overkill, even though there's demand for it. Don't forget that no matter how expensive or futile a commercial product may be it always appeals to some and it always sell. Much like diamond/gold encrusted Iphones.

With the sociological aspect of money hungry business men on the table, and making the point, is this really the way we as metal fans want labels to be working? Is this the way we want to be marketed at? Where does it stop really? Take in consideration the membership bullshit they have and Blood Music is rapidly turning into an elitist circle jerk for ubber limited shit to be released on demand. And like I said above, editions in metal have always had limited runs because people have limited funds, or just want to make it "truer" by printing only 50 tapes. This here being virtually "print on demand" has all costs covered and no margin for losing money, so when you really think about it, it's all about the money. And if you feed the beast long enough it will grow and grow beyond what you can control. Where does it stop really?

But yeah, big tangent/rant here. It's only my personal opinion and it's not like people have to agree with it. In fact that's not even up for debate and I'm not trying to win any fans with these words or my standing up against "money hungry businessmen". But I thought my previous words needed some clarification, so there you go.

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:48 pm 

I'm actually trying to figure out what's going to make that Emperor set so huge. Four studio albums, a pair of live albums, four EPs, a demo, and the tracks from various splits doesn't seem to add up to much. Unless they're just going to give each thing it's own disc and the band has a shitload of unreleased material lying around.

Use Baloo and calypso music.

Oiras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:41 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Anyone pick up the Nightside Eclipse reissues that came out today? Are the remastered/other version tracks worth it?

If you're talking about the two-disc 20th Anniversary Edition, I'd like to see some thoughts on this reissue too.

Another set of reissues I've not seen any feedback on, are Century Media's Dawn reissues. The demo anthology and their first album are already out, with Slaughtersun and their EP on the way. How does the demo collection and Naer... sound?

Oiras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:13 pm 

Also, for those who are unaware Golem's Eternity - The Weeping Horizons AND The 2nd Moon were reissued together in a two-disc set. http://www.fda-rekotz.com/label/index.p ... e-2nd-moon

Or, rather: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Go ... oon/401153

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:34 pm 

Oiras wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:
Anyone pick up the Nightside Eclipse reissues that came out today? Are the remastered/other version tracks worth it?

If you're talking about the two-disc 20th Anniversary Edition, I'd like to see some thoughts on this reissue too.

Another set of reissues I've not seen any feedback on, are Century Media's Dawn reissues. The demo anthology and their first album are already out, with Slaughtersun and their EP on the way. How does the demo collection and Naer... sound?

The whole reissue of Nightside is on Spotify, if you're into the streaming music thing. I posted the link somewhere in this (short) thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105443 There's a couple of really brief takes on the sound there, too.

Weirdly, just last night I ordered not only the Nightside reissue but those two Dawns that are already out. Hopefully I'll have them by next weekend.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:52 am 

I bought the digital copies of the Dawn reissues today, they sound incredible. So glad to be rid of my shitty 128k rip and have a legit copy of Slaughtersun.

mark of the devil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:00 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
I bought the digital copies of the Dawn reissues today, they sound incredible. So glad to be rid of my shitty 128k rip and have a legit copy of Slaughtersun.

Ha ha ha....youre too legit to quit brah.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:08 pm 

Yeah those Dawn reissues do sound great. While I can't compare them to the originals (I only have some crappy CD-R's ripped at god knows what bitrate back in the early 00's), they are a pretty amazing contrast to the Dark Funeral Secrets of the Black Arts reissue, which is ... pretty loud and shrill -- not as bad as the more infamous examples of remasterings (Priest, Mercyful Fate), and this is Dark Funeral we're talking about so ear rape is sorta part of the game, but yeah even the touched up original mix of SotBA is a much more pleasant listen than the suddenly punchy, searing treble whirlwind of the primary remaster.

Dawn, though, yeah, excellent sounding things. Gonna order the next two soon.

Oh, and for those using Amazon, the Nightside Eclipse 2CD thing now has a release date of June 17. Let's see what happens this time!

mark of the devil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:05 pm 

I thought I should drop in and say that Iron Bonehead just released Moonblood's Blut and Krieg officially. This is the first ever official pressing of the album since it was released on 300 copies back in the day. Getting a copy of the original will set you back 300 or so USD. Surprised no one else has mentioned this yet.

Oiras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:57 pm 

mark of the devil wrote:
I thought I should drop in and say that Iron Bonehead just released Moonblood's Blut and Krieg officially. This is the first ever official pressing of the album since it was released on 300 copies back in the day. Getting a copy of the original will set you back 300 or so USD. Surprised no one else has mentioned this yet.

Someone brought it up earlier in the thread. Well, too bad it's vinyl-only, not that I'm surprised. I don't particularly remember being that impressed with it though last time I heard it, but that may have been because of all the hype built around it and that I built around myself over it before I got the chance to listen to it. I liked Taste Our German Steel and one or a few of the rehearsals I heard (damned if I can remember which ones) better but that stuff needs a relisten from me really.

On another note, someone FINALLY managed to upload the reissue of Dawn's Naer Solen... to the DR Database and...

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list? ... um=evogher

:( OK so just as we all know that loudness doesn't equal better sound, it also doesn't necessarily mean worse sound either. For instance, Relapse's remaster of Death's Human I think is a significant improvement over the original Relativity Records release, which I thought sounded thin and bloodless despite having far more headroom. Relapse's version, though, yes, there is a significant volume increase, it wasn't perturbing, and the improvements they made to the instrumental fidelity was enormous. For the most part though, it's just "boost it til it makes your ears bleed and your subwoofer detonate." Or at the very least "make it sound like shit." The recent remaster/reissue of Septicflesh's Mystic Places of Dawn... fuck you Season of Piss, or was it you Septictank that were responsible? Either way, that sounded horrible (Esoptron and Ophidian Wheel on the other hand had far more reasonable remastering jobs done to them from what I listened to). Now considering what a significant drop in numbers on the DR scale it shows there from the original releases (and also the 2004 Necropolis reissue too) any more detailed thoughts on this? I'm very curious to know what Swano did to that album besides volume increase (anyone hear his remastering job on the Molested - Blod-draum reissue from a while back? It seems the label that released it heard what he did and realized "well fuck this nonsense" and generously offered the original version alongside it), and if all it is is just a volume increase, to what degree? The numbers on the DR Database can be useful but they're only really vague guides and don't tell the whole story unless someone puts in a detailed comment about it, which isn't very often.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:56 am 

You should be aware that the original version of Naer... was never mastered to begin with, much like Katatonia's Brave Murder Day. The 2004 compilation features the original masters, as the sound volume varies from one recording to the next that are present there. With all of that under consideration, why wouldn't there be a dramatic change in DR in this reissue? And like you said, it doesn't necessarily equate to sounding bad. Everyone shits on Dan's remasterings because of the job on the Molested album, but that was six (?) years ago! How many has he done in the meantime that sound great?

Look, if you really want something to compare check his remastering on Sacramentum's Far Away From The Sun. That should be an indicator of what to expect on Dawn's Naer... remaster.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:09 pm 

While I am no audiophile and don't own any audiophile-grade equipment, and even though Secrets of the Black Arts holds a great deal of sentimental value for me, I have been listening to the Dawn and Sacramentum reissues way more than the Dark Funeral. They are far more pleasant listens, sonically (and musically, for that matter).

It's funny you brought up Mystic Places of Dawn, too. The remaster was my first exposure to that album, and regardless of the fact that I really liked the music on it, I couldn't figure out why I so rarely felt like actually listening to it. You're right, though, it's that excruciating remaster job. It's like having an ear infection.

I'm kind of wondering which other CD's in my collection suffer from this. Anyone know anything about the 2010 reissue of Inquisition's Into the Infernal Regions of the Ancient Cult? It's a mystery to me why, despite loving the music itself, I've never been able to make it through the entire album in one sitting -- and that's what I love to do, sit and listen to albums in their entirety. I don't know if it's that droning nature of Dagon's riffs, something in his guitar tone, or if it's another weird remastering artifact.

You'd think I'd have learned my lessons about remasters by now. I need to research this stuff before I buy. I'm already on ebay looking for an original of Secrets of the Black Arts (sold mine years ago).

Why can't they all be like Demilich's 20th Adversary of Emptiness? Sigh.

Oh, also, that Emperor Nightside reissue feels rather jacked as well. I'll never understand how this has become such an accepted routine.

edit: To make a long post even longer, I think I take back any complaint about the Nightside reissue. I've gone back and forth between it and the original several times over the course of the day and I think they did a pretty good job here. Obviously it's gonna be a little louder, and there's some emphasis on the high end stuff (on an already high-end-heavy album) but it still has that miraculously cavernous and enveloping ambience, which was my main concern going into this remaster. It still sounds like everything is projected onto the ceiling and walls all around you. There isn't any of that "cramming every instrument into a wedge of space between the speakers" phenomenon found on too many modern remasters (and hell, on modern original masters too).

Also, I don't know if it's been mentioned anywhere but listed on the back of the album is "Remastered by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios."

Pestbesmittad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:19 am 

Boss Tuneage has put out some nice thrash and death reissues:
Desecrator - Subconscious Release + bonus tracks
Pendemia - Narcotic Religion + bonus tracks
Xyster - In Good Faith...? + bonus tracks
Metal Messiah - Honour Among Thieves + bonus tracks
Snyper - Manifestations (unreleased album from 1991) + bonus tracks

and more

http://moshtuneage.bigcartel.com/

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:00 am 

Pestbesmittad wrote:
Boss Tuneage has put out some nice thrash and death reissues:
Desecrator - Subconscious Release + bonus tracks
Pendemia - Narcotic Religion + bonus tracks
Xyster - In Good Faith...? + bonus tracks
Metal Messiah - Honour Among Thieves + bonus tracks
Snyper - Manifestations (unreleased album from 1991) + bonus tracks

and more

http://moshtuneage.bigcartel.com/

The Metal Messiah album is pretty good. I haven't picked up the others from this label, though I probably will at some point.

Divebomb Records is reissuing both Reverend albums and the EP on August 12th. Should be great, as all of their stuff is.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:08 pm 

Powermad "Absolute Power" and Vicious Rumors "S/T" & "Welcome to the Ball" are getting mid-priced (~1500 yen) reissues over in Japan in early September.

Pestbesmittad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:16 pm 

Cyclone Empire: Cancer reissues out on 8 August. The bonus tracks:

To the Gory End:
1 : Our Fate (Demo 1989)
2 : Revenged (Demo 1989)
“Both tracks appeared on our second demo in 1989, but were never used on To The Gory End.”

Death Shall Rise:
1 : Hung, Drawn And Quartered (Live 1992)
2 : Blood Bath (Live 1992)
Both Tracks recorded live at Milwaukee Metalfest 1992 by Ron Goudie.

The Sins Of Mankind:
1 : Cloak of Darkness (Working Demo 1992)
2 : Electro-Convulsive Therapy (Working Demo 1992)
“Both tracks taken from a working demo recorded late 1992, no vocals were put on these as we hadn't written them”.

thenamelessdead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:36 pm 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
Why can't they all be like Demilich's 20th Adversary of Emptiness? Sigh
My copy arrived yesterday. The quality of the remaster and clear, genuine effort that's gone into it is a real selling point.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:07 pm 

These are now available. Morgue - Eroded Thougths + demos CD. 16 page booklet.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:50 pm 

September 16: Num Skull - Ritually Abused

http://www.relapse.com/search_result.ph ... ll&x=0&y=0

Been waiting for this one for years!

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:43 pm 

HO-LEE SHIT.

I am pre-ordering that Num Skull fucking ASAP. That's one of my favorite thrash albums ever.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:10 pm 

Yeah, I didn't see that one coming. Good move from Relapse for some reissue buck, and hurray for us underground lovers I guess.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:25 pm 

So, Spina Bifida's long needed reissue is finally out on Memento Mori. Pick it up while you can! ;)

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:34 pm 

Looks like Dark Descent is doing a Morpheus Descends discography reissue too. I'm gonna have to order from them when that comes out and pick up that/Morgue/hope they still have copies of Golem in stock.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:56 pm 

Popped in to see if anyone was talking about that Num Skull remaster. It looks like I'm a little late with the news. I think it sounds good based on my first listen! That's something I'll be pre-ordering, seeing as I don't have a copy in my collection yet.

darkfiend667
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:35 am 

ogmetal wrote:
DeathfareDevil wrote:

Has Dark Descent mentioned any plans for 2014? Seems they're always working on something.

Morgue (US) compilation (Eroded Thoughts and demos) around spring time and Morpheus/Morpheus Descends anthology.

We are also doing Goreaphobia's Vile Beast comp on vinyl. This is with much improved sound and art.

Finally, fukn FINALLY a reissue of Morpheus Descends' recordings. Been waiting for a good while for some label to get to putting that out. I actually do have everything of theirs in one format or another, except for the "7 EP release as Morpheus, and the Chronicles...MCD, and I'm SICK of seeing the latter going for over-inflated prices on ebay thanks to capitalistic c*nts & stooges who push prices of OOP underground release to ridiculous extremes.

Oh & equally good move on putting out a vinyl version of Goreaphobia's Vile Beast comp, it deserves it, the material on that just slays.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:15 pm 

What's so wrong with Septicflesh's "Mystic Places of Dawn" remaster? It's become one of my favorite albums as of late, and before they released the remaster earlier this year, it went for a pretty penny on eBay. The HQ YouTube videos I've listened to don't sound much different from the 320kbps mp3s that I have on my computer (which I got in like 2012).

It kinda reminds me of when people on here bitched about the "Far Away From The Sun" remaster last year, which I pre-ordered. I thought it sounded slightly better than the original, especially noticeable on tracks like "Blood Shall Be Spilled."

Von Jugel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:38 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
September 16: Num Skull - Ritually Abused

http://www.relapse.com/search_result.ph ... ll&x=0&y=0

Been waiting for this one for years!

Nice!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:28 pm 

XcKyle93 wrote:
What's so wrong with Septicflesh's "Mystic Places of Dawn" remaster? It's become one of my favorite albums as of late, and before they released the remaster earlier this year, it went for a pretty penny on eBay. The HQ YouTube videos I've listened to don't sound much different from the 320kbps mp3s that I have on my computer (which I got in like 2012).

It kinda reminds me of when people on here bitched about the "Far Away From The Sun" remaster last year, which I pre-ordered. I thought it sounded slightly better than the original, especially noticeable on tracks like "Blood Shall Be Spilled."

Erh... you can't really compare the audio quality of streaming vs MP3, no matter how much high quality the streaming may be. Streaming still uses you web browser's codec engine to work out the sound onto your Windows environment, which then applies it to the speakers. Just in case you may have a custom EQ running on the background or something like that. When you play a MP3 file from a folder though it comes out decoded as every other audio piece on your HDD. So you can't really compare and they'll more often than not sound different. You need to have keen ears to notice the differences though, but I've may times listened to full albums on YT at 1080p (HQ) and then downloaded an MP3 copy and it sounds a bit different. Hell, I've had times where a 320K rip I downloaded would sound different from the original disc, just because it was ripped with a different program/encoder.

According to people who have listened to both versions it seems the recent SF remasters are brickwalled to death. And just so you know, the Sacramentum remaster, while good, isn't necessarily better than the original. I'm actually very accustomed to muddy productions from the early nineties so listening to it sounding much clearer and sharper doesn't necessarily makes it instantaneously better. It's a good remastering job though.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next