Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:35 am 

Waste of time, everyone should already own the classic Monstrosity's.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:29 am 

If they do rerecord it I have negative interest in what will ultimately be an abomination against a classic album.

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:58 am 

Has a re-recording ever gone well? I can't think of any.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:07 am 

thesilentenigma wrote:

Only one I can think of are those Hypocrisy songs from the first two albums with Peter singing, because Peter vs Masse... :D Still, those are loose songs on a compilation and not an entire album rerecorded.

androdion wrote:
Rerecording Imperial Doom sounds like an awful idea. That album is the product of an era and that magic can't be recaptured, even if they would somehow be able to get the original line-up together for it. But I get it, Impaled did the same with their debut because Deathvomit also pulled a similar stunt.

I understand bands doing this in order for their back catalogue to be available again, but it's never going to be or sound the same. I can also understand the fan's point of view where paying a huge amount of money for a 25-30 year old disc that's as it is can also be a bummer. Labels will be labels I guess... Deathvomit went down under and took all the recording licenses with them. I guess that if they licensed any of it they'd have old bills to suck that money up, probably I don't really know but I can take a guess. As for major labels like NB it's the old chat of "our way or the highway", and honestly speaking it's a licensing nightmare and very costly, but I can also remember an interview not long ago where Lee Harrison said that he didn't really want to contact everyone involved in the debut because of the royalties. Maybe this is more than "NB is the devil" and there's some bad blood all around, I couldn't say for sure. One thing is certain, when someone in a band can't make an effort for it it most certainly won't happen (see Nuclear Assault's Survive).

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:38 am 

thesilentenigma wrote:

Dan Swano's band Nightingale (progressive hard rock/metal) has the album Nightfall Overture, which was apparently intended as a "best of" album celebrating their 10 year anniversary and consisting mostly of re-recordings of tracks from the first four Nightingale albums, but it ended up becoming by far their most popular and iconic album, and generally seen as their best work. I personally think that every single track on there completely and totally annihilates the original in every conceivable fashion.

For reference, here the original, 1995 version of the title track.

And here is the 2005 re-recording from "Nightfall Overture".

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:21 pm 

I'd like to clarify there's no confirmation right now that "Imperial Doom" will definitely be rerecorded. Nothing as far as a timeline or any other details, so we might be putting the cart before the horse here, myself included.

That seems way further down on the list of priorities compared to the reissues, touring for "The Passage of Existence," and even another album - Lee's already working on at least four new songs and there were others written they ran out of time to record.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:06 pm 

true_death wrote:
thesilentenigma wrote:

Dan Swano's band Nightingale (progressive hard rock/metal) has the album Nightfall Overture, which was apparently intended as a "best of" album celebrating their 10 year anniversary and consisting mostly of re-recordings of tracks from the first four Nightingale albums, but it ended up becoming by far their most popular and iconic album, and generally seen as their best work. I personally think that every single track on there completely and totally annihilates the original in every conceivable fashion.

For reference, here the original, 1995 version of the title track.

And here is the 2005 re-recording from "Nightfall Overture".

Agreed. That album rules from start to finish and I'd easily say it's their best release, and yes all the re-recordings are better than the originals.

Another examples is Alcest - Le Secret. The re-recorded tracks completely annihilate the originals.

Pestbesmittad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:45 am 

Out on Vic Records:

Sickness - Plague: Ornaments of Mutilation and More CD (complete discography)
Sickness sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_o986flU68

Destruction - Bestial Invasion of Hell CD
Infected - Dark Century CD
Disciples of Power - Ominous Prophecy CD
Outrage - 1985 Demo(n)s CD
Gutwrench - The Art of Mutilation CD (demos + bonustracks)

Last edited by Pestbesmittad on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:14 am 

thesilentenigma wrote:

Pagan Altar's re-recordings went pretty swimmingly... though virtually no one outside of the band heard the originals anyway... :-D

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:24 am 

...and Oceans

Mare_Liberum (1998) Tape re-release:
https://thoseopposedrecords.bandcamp.co ... re-liberum

And for the sake of completion since they were released by the same label (in 2016, though)

The Dynamic Gallery of Thoughts (1998) Vinyl re-release:
https://thoseopposedrecords.bandcamp.co ... f-thoughts

The Symmetry of I, the Circle of O (1999) Vinyl re-release:
https://thoseopposedrecords.bandcamp.co ... ircle-of-o

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:29 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:

Really? I think the demo had a very unique atmosphere with the guitars and synths of the original buried underneath the caveman recording that not many kvlt bands have. The first two albums have a flawless mix too... can't understand why they were remastered as well

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

ThrashAD720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:19 am 

I got my eyes on those The Nuclear Blast Recordings box set of Sinster and Gorefest.

Pestbesmittad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:13 am 

Infester - "To the Depths, in Degradation/Darkness Unveiled" DCD out now on Krucyator Productions.

https://krucyator.bandcamp.com/album/to ... s-unveiled

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:03 am 

Pestbesmittad wrote:
Infester - "To the Depths, in Degradation/Darkness Unveiled" DCD out now on Krucyator Productions.

Might have to get this. I was pretty disappointed by the Martyrdoom reissue if I'm honest...they fucked up the album art and didn't even bother to include lyrics which is a big part of Infester's appeal, if you ask me. I've also never heard the demo, so getting that on a bonus disc might be worthwhile.

ThrashAD720 wrote:
I got my eyes on those The Nuclear Blast Recordings box set of Sinster and Gorefest.

The Sinister one leaves out their most popular albums Cross the Styx and Diabolical Summoning, and the Gorefest one leaves out one of their best albums Rise to Ruin...they also made one for Benediction which leaves out The Dreams You Dread (though I'm less concerned about that one as the album sucks)...it's pretty weird since it's billed as "the Nuclear Blast years".

ThrashAD720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:27 am 

true_death wrote:
Pestbesmittad wrote:

Might have to get this. I was pretty disappointed by the Martyrdoom reissue if I'm honest...they fucked up the album art and didn't even bother to include lyrics which is a big part of Infester's appeal, if you ask me. I've also never heard the demo, so getting that on a bonus disc might be worthwhile.

ThrashAD720 wrote:

The Sinister one leaves out their most popular albums Cross the Styx and Diabolical Summoning, and the Gorefest one leaves out one of their best albums Rise to Ruin...they also made one for Benediction which leaves out The Dreams You Dread (though I'm less concerned about that one as the album sucks)...it's pretty weird since it's billed as "the Nuclear Blast years".

Yea i know this info already so i still got to pick up Cross the Styx and Diabolical Summoning and then Sinster boxset. For Gorefest its the boxset and the last album.

rooster85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:02 pm 

Are these new Running Wild reissues (in digipacks) worth bying?

ThanatosUK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:23 pm 

I haven't picked up any of the Running Wild ones yet, but in my experience the Noise reissues are well worth getting.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:25 pm 

SkullFracturingNightmare wrote:
androdion wrote:
The band's FB page has a post from January stating that they're working on the booklet redesign. But then again there's an earlier post stating that the reissues "are coming out in January 2017", so I'd take everything in that camp with a pinch of salt.

Yeah I was wondering what the hell was going on with that, since I too read that it was supposed to be out last year.

Usually Vic Records delivers at some point, so I'll try to remain patient.

Well, well, well...

Just a month and a half of waiting, and Fatal Exposure will finally be available again. Zero chance I won't be getting it.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:03 pm 

Vic Records seems to be coming out with a lot of great stuff right now, but I'm still about a year behind on all the Dark Symphonies stuff. I've got the Torr, Hades, Betrayer, Formicide, and Subsidence albums queued up at Dark Descent but can't pull the trigger. I need another one of their sales to make it affordable.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:37 pm 

Required Fields wrote:
Well, well, well...

Just a month and a half of waiting, and Fatal Exposure will finally be available again. Zero chance I won't be getting it.

Thanks for the info mate! :thumbsup:

I just hope the remastering isn't like on the Phlebotomized material, as I believe it was also that Palms dude who did those, since it isn't that good to begin with. Oh well I'll buy it anyway because Fatal Exposure... :lol:

Does anyone know how the demos sound?

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:32 pm 

Fuck yeah, Christmas is coming two weeks early. Vic's definitely becoming a favorite label of mine. Them, High Roller, and Dark Symphonies know exactly the shit we want to see reissued.

Pestbesmittad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:43 am 

More Vic madness: Pre-orders for Sacrosanct's "Truth Is What Is" and "Recesses for the Depraved" (both with bonus tracks) up now. Out 16.11. "Tragic Intense" will be released later.

Truth is What Is: http://vicrecords.com/shop/index.php?id ... eWBPMIfvsw

Recesses: http://vicrecords.com/shop/index.php?id ... 00LfdaZjGg

In order to see the reissue tracklists: https://www.rockawaits.com/

ThrashAD720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:17 pm 

rooster85 wrote:
Are these new Running Wild reissues (in digipacks) worth bying?

Yes they are worth picking up cause i have almost all of them except the first two.

Pestbesmittad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:17 pm 

Out now!

Necrophobic - "Satanic Prophecies" 5-Digi-CD Box

Includes:
The Nocturnal Silence Digi-CD
Darkside Digi-CD
The Third Antichrist Digi-CD
Bloodhymns Digi-CD
Satanic Blasphemies Digi-CD (Boxset exclusive)

https://hammerheartstore.com/products/n ... 5-digi-cds

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:01 pm 

I realize I'm over a decade late to this, but what in the world was Mustaine thinking when he rerecorded the vocals for Five Magics? He sounds like he took Valium before recording.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:03 pm 

Now this is a treat for me: Emerald (USA) - Armed For Battle EP reissue with bonus tracks on No Remorse Records coming in December.

http://label.noremorse.gr/upcoming-releases/item/301-emerald-armed-for-battle-cd-/-lp-/-box-set

Two things I'm bummed about though:

1. Born To Die is not included among the bonus tracks
2. If I want to get a t-shirt, I have to get the CD / LP box set. I don't have a record player, and I have no interest in getting one.

Pestbesmittad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:37 am 

Death - "The Sound of Perseverance" 3LP and DCD:

https://hammerheartstore.com/products/c ... 4SZc3yUlSA

https://hammerheartstore.com/products/d ... rance-2-cd

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:29 am 

Are those extra tracks and early demos the same that were included in the Relapse 2 and 3 cd reissues not too many years ago? I assume there couldn't realistically be too many left around after those.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:43 am 

So...did that Chemical Breath reissue get delayed or something? I checked Vic's website but it doesn't show any info for it.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:35 am 

So...did that Chemical Breath reissue get delayed or something? I checked Vic's website but it doesn't show any info for it.

Yes, there was a delay at the pressing plant. Apparently it'll be up sometime this week.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:52 am 

There was info about the delay on their FB page, just not on their website. I'll buy it on January anyway since this time of the year is horrible for postal services so I'm not worried.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:11 pm 

Ah, okay thanks for the info. I forgot they had a Facebook page too.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:20 pm 

true_death wrote:

Yes, there was a delay at the pressing plant. Apparently it'll be up sometime this week.

So is it me or there hasn't been any news for almost a month now? Both FB pages, the band's and the label's mind you, have been dead silent. No "update next week" and it's already "next year".

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:24 pm 

Looks like Vic Records finally got the demos CD in, and Fatal Exposure they'll be getting in sometime next week.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:27 pm 

Damn, figures one of the reissues I've wanted so badly for so long would be the one that has to have delays with its release.

I'm really starting to hate the term "sometime".

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:56 pm 

It's always next week, oh dear... :lol:

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:06 am 

Some more drama surrounding the Chemical Breath CD.....even though they posted a picture and said the demo CD had arrived, apparently it was only the booklet/tray card and the CD itself is lost in the post. That explains why they never added it to the store but not why it took them all this time to say anything. Regardless, that release is delayed.

On the bright side, it looks like they've received their copies of Fatal Exposure so hopefully that will be up for sale soon...

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:24 am 

Oh my, drama it is indeed. Well, I've waited this long so I'll keep waiting some more.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:25 pm 

Anyone know anything about the remastering/sound quality of this combo reissue of Kataklysm's. Sorcery/Mystical Gate/Temple of Knowledge?
https://www.discogs.com/Kataklysm-Sorce ... se/8840061

Other than what discogs says I don't even know for a fact that it was remastered. Just wondering if anyone has intimate carnal knowledge of it. I'm far past the point of buying anything that even may be remastered unless I know it hasn't been loudness warred.

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:50 pm 

Nuclear Blast can't be trusted. I'd pick up first pressings if I were you. Take these Sinister's for example, first photo is from the 1992 press, second pic from 1994. The 1994 version has the volume boosted just like they did on the Dismember debut a few months after releasing the first pressings. So even if they haven't "remastered" it, it's likely they have long since fucked with the original sound on any re-issues.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next