Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mairon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:37 am 

There's going to be a 2112 reissue on vinyl next month. Non that 2112 ever was rare, or that it needed re-issuing, but I thought it's rather interesting. Any opinions on that? They claim that they will press it on 200g vinyl - which i find excessive and use direct to metal mastering, which is a process I've only known from Stockfisch, who done some amazing things with mediocre artists, but not sure what to make of it in this case. Any thoughts? Anyone got any of the other, previous releases?
http://www.rushbackstage.com/vinyl-rush-2112.html

That "hologram" they are talking about really isn't really a hologram, but it's a fun little gimmick. It can be previewed here:

I'd rather would have had a 45rpm release...

€dit: Oh wait, fuck it. Doesn't ship outside NA. *slowclap* I guess I'll still leave that here in case someone finds this interesting...

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:35 pm 

With the caveat that I know nothing about the parties involved and am merely passing along something from Beheaded's FB page, it would appear that an upcoming reissue of their Perpetual Mockery album, if it comes to that, is being done without the band's consent. Judging by what little info there is, seems there were some negotiations that at least reached the artwork stage, but somewhere along the line the deal fell through. Whatever the case, if the dude in comments going by the same name as the Pathos Productions guy is in fact the Pathos Prod guy, then he's a definite shithead, calling the band "Maltese rats."
https://www.facebook.com/BeheadedMT/pos ... 1797027529

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:15 am 

AcidMind wrote:
P.S. One more thing - may be I'm wrong with this, but i thought that it was supposed to be vinyl release when announced. Definitely "LP" was mentions etc, so i was surprised when i got digipak, and due to absence of protection it was damaged. Band never answered to me (through FB / official page), so dudes are not cool :-)

How long did it take you to get your Gorod re-issue from the band? I ask because it's been a month since I ordered mine and I've yet to receive anything including a "shipped" message or any correspondence period.

AcidMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:29 am 

thesilentenigma wrote:
AcidMind wrote:
How long did it take you to get your Gorod re-issue from the band?

About 2 months, no shipping notification by mail, any answers from band either (i tried on FB and official webpage).

titan_v
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:46 pm 

Off Relapse Records site:

Quote:
Razor: Deluxe Reissues Announced

Cult Canadian thrash metal legends RAZOR have announced a reissue campaign for three of their classic late 80's and early 90's albums. The records Violent Restitution (1988), Shotgun Justice (1990), and Open Hostility (1991) will see deluxe CD/Digital reissues via Relapse Records this May.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:16 pm 

I got a massive hard-on as soon as I saw that. I already have Violent Restitution and Shotgun Justice on CD, but it'll be nice to hear them remastered and with louder volume, especially in Violent Restitution's case as it was released on Steamhammer and their CDs tend to be way too quiet (a similar situation I have with Sodom's Persecution Mania). Also, I'll be glad to finally have a copy of Open Hostility on CD. Razor are one of the few bands I'd gladly buy more than one copy of the same album for.

Man, with this and the Gorguts reissues coming out, my next paycheck is gonna be put to real good use.

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:05 pm 

Isn't this the first time Open Hostility has been released on CD?

I'll be ordering that one and Shotgun Justice, as both have been missing from my collection. Violent Restitution is a masterpiece, but there's no need for me to buy it twice.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:42 pm 

Discogs shows there was apparently a CD release in 1991 on Fringe Product, in fact there's even one currently for sale for $10 (although I'd like to think that a copy like that would be rare, so either it's a bootleg or someone's got a chance to rip someone off big time).

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:45 pm 

Yeah, it definitely did get released on CD. I believe all the Razor albums did except for Custom Killing (grr). I hope the new reissues of the three albums don't sound awful - Violent Restitution and Shotgun Justice could have benefited from a small volume boost in their original releases, but nothing like you see today.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:04 am 

They've got the title track of VR up for listening on the bandcamp page, and it sounds pretty damn good to me. Relapse hasn't disappointed me yet with any of their recent remasters (Individual Thought Patterns is the only one I'm kinda iffy about, but I don't hate it).

TheTrueSeker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:56 am 

Maybe Relapse will actually get the track listing correct this time around.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:00 am 

TheTrueSeker wrote:
Maybe Relapse will actually get the track listing correct this time around.

Only inverted tracklists are real!

Haven't seen anyone mention this on MA, but Metallica is re-releasing their No Life 'Til Leather demo for the first time. It will be released as a tape for RSD, with CD and vinyl to come later.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... 303?page=2

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:16 am 

Well it's about time Metallica put their label to use and put out some reissues (not that any of their early stuff besides the demo NEED reissuing since it's all still in print). Hopefully this means we'll finally get ...And Justice For All with Jason's bass properly restored. I mean, it sure seemed like they were hinting that they were gonna just go chronologically starting from No Life Til Leather.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:49 am 

"...And Justice For All" recorded as well back in the day 1988.

Revisionism is useless.

"You make it easy."

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:49 pm 

They can't really fix the mix on AJFA, the lack of bass is caused by the guitars and bass being tuned to too-similar frequencies. Unless they re-EQ the bass somehow, but then it would probably clash with the bass drum... also, they should just use the Steve Hoffman remasters of Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, but they'll probably get some deaf cunt like Ted Jensen or George Marino to smash them into oblivion.

The 30th Anniversary Edition of Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith looks damn good, on an unrelated note. Although the double live album has not one single song from Stained Class :(

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:08 pm 

Ah, I didn't know that. I figured it was just a simple method of increasing the volume of the bass mix, but I don't know a thing about the actual recording process so I didn't know it wouldn't be that easy.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:13 pm 

finally stop searching for Fatal (US) discography (plus other surprises from Necroharmonic) :metal:

Fatal "Retrospective from Hell" CD (REPRESS) http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Fatal/9563
Putrifact / Decay – Split CD - Two bands from NJ, Which released obscure demos 25 years ago! http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Putrifact/29733
Phlegm "Consumed by the Dead" CD – Rhode Island 1st Death metal / Gore bands Discography http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Phlegm/17190

"You make it easy."

titan_v
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:29 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:
finally stop searching for Fatal (US) discography (plus other surprises from Necroharmonic) :metal:

Fatal "Retrospective from Hell" CD (REPRESS) http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Fatal/9563
Putrifact / Decay – Split CD - Two bands from NJ, Which released obscure demos 25 years ago! http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Putrifact/29733
Phlegm "Consumed by the Dead" CD – Rhode Island 1st Death metal / Gore bands Discography http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Phlegm/17190

I'll check out all three when they are released. Necroharmonic is overall a great 'obscure release' label. I own practically all there material.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:20 pm 

SkullFracturingNightmare wrote:
Well it's about time Metallica put their label to use and put out some reissues (not that any of their early stuff besides the demo NEED reissuing since it's all still in print). Hopefully this means we'll finally get ...And Justice For All with Jason's bass properly restored. I mean, it sure seemed like they were hinting that they were gonna just go chronologically starting from No Life Til Leather.

I really hope Metallica do these reissues right. I have a feeling they'll all be extra LOUD and sound like shit, especially since Metallica still don't seem to realize the problem with how loud Death Magnetic was and why people complained. Unless they put the material into the hands of a studio who knows what they're doing with remixing and/or remastering, it's going to be a big letdown.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:31 pm 

Folk metallers Furor Gallico's 2010 self titled debut is getting reissued on Scarlet Records on April 28, 2015. I didn't even think it was rare, as I got my copy no problem, maybe in 2013. I saw it available for pre-order on amazon and also deepdiscount.com.

I think it's quite a good album, with nice use of flutes and celtic harp, the latter of which gives it a unique touch.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:45 pm 

Evoken wrote:
I really hope Metallica do these reissues right. I have a feeling they'll all be extra LOUD and sound like shit, especially since Metallica still don't seem to realize the problem with how loud Death Magnetic was and why people complained. Unless they put the material into the hands of a studio who knows what they're doing with remixing and/or remastering, it's going to be a big letdown.

I solely blame Rick Rubin for the sound on Death Magnetic. Apparently Ted Jensen claimed it sounded distorted even before masterings. The latest ZZ Top album has a similarly fuzzed out / clippy sound, even on vinyl.

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:48 am 

chaossphere wrote:
They can't really fix the mix on AJFA, the lack of bass is caused by the guitars and bass being tuned to too-similar frequencies. Unless they re-EQ the bass somehow, but then it would probably clash with the bass drum... also, they should just use the Steve Hoffman remasters of Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, but they'll probably get some deaf cunt like Ted Jensen or George Marino to smash them into oblivion.

I wonder if they have something planned for the 30th anniversary of Justice. If they can't quite adjust the mix how they like, then maybe they'll bring Jason Newsted back in to re-record his bass parts. Actually, Robert Trujillo probably wouldn't have any qualms about doing it considering how he redid the bass parts on Ozzy's Blizzard/Diary reissues.

Honestly, I absolutely love the production on Justice. I'm perfectly fine with how the album sounds, but that would be interesting to hear nonetheless. If Metallica really is following through with this reissue campaign then it might be interesting to see if they attempt a remix of this one in particular.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:30 pm 

putrenista wrote:
If they can't quite adjust the mix how they like, then maybe they'll bring Jason Newsted back in to re-record his bass parts. Actually, Robert Trujillo probably wouldn't have any qualms about doing it considering how he redid the bass parts on Ozzy's Blizzard/Diary reissues.

Ew, please god no.

I'd be happier with a clipped as hell loud ass remaster over any re-recordings, even if Newsted did it.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:57 pm 

There's already a widely-spread fan remix of ...And Justice For All made from the Guitar Hero Metallica audio. I doubt Metallica will bother fucking with it, they'll probably just remaster it. They mentioned Led Zeppelin's recent run of deluxe reissues in the press release and if that's the standard they're aiming for, there shouldn't be too much revisionism going on. The LZ reissues are a shining example of how to do these things properly, they're nowhere near brickwalled and all bonus material is relegated to optional extra discs.

Also, bit late to the table on this, but reissue of Sacramentum - Far Away From The Sun is another example of how to do a reissue properly. No demo crap, remastered by the original producer not some random idiot, original cover art and the only major alteration to the booklet is making the lyrics easily readable instead of the overcomplicated font from the original. The only thing I don't get is why they felt the need to shorten the title of the last track :scratch:

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:26 pm 

Speaking of late to the table, I dunno if I'm the last to know about this, but apparently Nokturnal Mortum's Voice of Steel was reissued earlier this year as a 2CD digi. "New mixing and mastering"? Anyone know anything about this?

http://www.storenvy.com/products/117776 ... cd-digipak

edit: it's on their bandcamp. Hurrah.
https://nokturnalmortum1.bandcamp.com/a ... mortum-2cd

ThanatosUK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:21 pm 

Relapse are reissuing the first four Nile albums on vinyl in April. I already have an earlier pressing of Amongst the Catacombs but I'll be grabbing the other three for sure.

US (Relapse)

EU (Nuclear Blast)

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:19 am 

So I'm sitting here wondering why my CD reissue of Obscura hasn't shipped yet and I see that the release date, according to the CMDistro site, is listed as July 4 under "additional information." http://www.cmdistro.com/gorguts-obscura ... order.html

The description still says it'll ship the week of March 31 however. I'm wondering if that's referring to the vinyl only? The records' release date is different, April 7. Didn't someone on this site say they'd gotten a ship confirmation email? (No clue where or who it was.)

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:25 pm 

I noticed that too. I really hope I don't have to wait until July for the damn album. Waiting until May for the Razor reissues is already agonizing enough.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:00 pm 

Yeah, that can't be right. In fact I bought a couple of copies from Record Shop X and they've been shipped on the 31st, so I guess we're all in the clear. :nods:

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:54 pm 

Okay, I emailed CM Distro about Obscura and got a response. I know this will come as a shock, but they've had a backup at their warehouse. They "expect to ship out the Gorguts reissues by the end of next week."

On a note of positivity, the reply came within 30 mins of my question.

titan_v
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:08 pm 

Listenable records are reissuing Loudblast - Cross the Threshold, Disincarnate, and Sublime Dementia. No details giving when they'll be out.

Oiras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:18 am 

So this reissue is a couple years old by now (and never really a rare release to begin with so...) but I was just curious about the recent Hammerheart reissue of Blasphemy Made Flesh for anyone who happens to own it. I keep seeing it advertised many places as having "brand new artwork!" What are they referring to? Is there some artwork inside the booklet never seen before? Is the artwork from the first couple issues anywhere to be found? Because as far as I can see the cover art at least is exactly the same as the ones on every CD reissue released after Displeased's release of the album.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:05 am 

It is. I used to own the Hammerheart reissue and it's just the same shitty new artwork. I eventually sold it and got the Displeased reissue that had the original album cover.

Plus, the Hammerheart reissue isn't remastered or anything (I know you didn't ask about it but I figured I'd just point it out). Neither is the Displeased reissue. I bought None So Vile before Blasphemy Made Flesh, and I never noticed how much quieter and thin sounding it was in comparison to None So Vile.

Aaaand, one more thing since we're on the subject. The Hammerheart reissues of None So Vile have a spelling error on the spine of the CD versions. It says "None To Vile" instead of "So".

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:27 pm 

androdion wrote:
Yeah, that can't be right. In fact I bought a couple of copies from Record Shop X and they've been shipped on the 31st, so I guess we're all in the clear. :nods:

And they've arrived already. Black disc, current band logo on the cover, expanded liner notes with Luc talking about how the album came into form. And as far as I can hear there wasn't any tweaking around with the album's sound.

AcidMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:36 am 

And finally Coroner / Grin CD is out!!!

https://coroner.myshopify.com

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:27 pm 

This sure snuck right by me.

Quote:
Ground breaking, genre-defining, no holds barred, brutal death metal act PYREXIA proudly presents a stunning reissue of its 1993 classic "Sermon Of Mockery" album, which is out now in Europe via Century Media Records!

Alongside Suffocation, Internal Bleeding, Morpheus Descends, Mortal Decay, etc. PYREXIA were at the forefront of the New York death metal scene in the early 90's proving highly influential to the guttural brutality of today.

Apart from the original album tracks, the 2015 "Sermon Of Mockery (Extended Edition)" offers expanded artwork with photos, flyers, and lyrics plus the following audio bonuses:

Limited Edition CD Digipak bonus includes:
"Liturgy of Impurity" demo - 1992
"Hatredangeranddisgust" EP - 1995

Limited Gatefold 2LP bonus includes:
"Liturgy of Impurity" demo - 1992
"Hatredangeranddisgust" EP - 1995
Live in 1992 (previously unreleased)

The following vinyl formats are available:
-Black (unlimited)
-Green (100 CM Distro US Exclusive)
-Orange (200 CM Distro EU Exclusive)
-Gold (100 CM Distro US / Band Exclusive)

According to the band themselves, at least on their Facebook, it's remastered. (Says so here on the Archives, too.)
https://www.facebook.com/PYREXIADEATHME ... 5828910419

Here's a song:
https://soundcloud.com/centurymedia/pyr ... of-mockery

I realize going by soundcloud isn't giving the most accurate representation, but this sounds a bit on the loud side, especially when I back-and-forth between it and an old YT rip (my physical copy got traded or sold years ago). I suppose I'll reserve my judgment til I hear more.

edit: just noticed I pasted the link saying it was out in Europe. It's out in the States as well.
http://www.cmdistro.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=pyrexia

Last edited by DeathfareDevil on Sun May 03, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:42 pm 

titan_v wrote:
Off Relapse Records site:

Quote:
Razor: Deluxe Reissues Announced

Cult Canadian thrash metal legends RAZOR have announced a reissue campaign for three of their classic late 80's and early 90's albums. The records Violent Restitution (1988), Shotgun Justice (1990), and Open Hostility (1991) will see deluxe CD/Digital reissues via Relapse Records this May.

News to me, but this is really nice to hear. Those might be my three favorite Razor albums, too, so that's a bonus. It would've been cool to see the whole back catalog reissued... even the later albums everyone seems to hate, since I've never heard anything newer than OH.

Obvious concerns about the pitfalls of remastering jobs aside, I just hope there's not too much unnecessary bloat added for bonus tracks. I'd be content with just the original tracklisting unless there is something of substantial interest to include in the reissues.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:42 am 

There are, unfortunately quite a few unnecessary bonus tracks tacked on to each album. Violent Restitution has some live tracks, Shotgun Justice has a couple live tracks and some alternate mixes of a couple songs, and Open Hostility has a few unreleased tracks and some demos.

Also, for some reason on Violent Restitution they separated the goofy intro song on Discipline and have it listed as a "hidden" track called Roll Out the Barrel.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:25 am 

Another goodies from the Necroharmonic camp...

Funebrarum " Beneath the Columns of Abandoned Gods " CD

The now legendary album available again in its original form. Funebrarum formed in 1999 with Nick Orlando (ex-Evoken founder ) , Dave Wagner ( Evoken , ex-Abazagorath ) , Daryl Kahan ( Disma ) and drummer Brian Jimenez . This 5 track ( album / mcd ) is 30 mins of some of the heaviest and most death metal riffs and songs ever put to CD.

Originally released on Necroharmonic in 2001 , now has been resurrected in its original release form as a compact disc , with the original layout and tracks , lyrics and cover art.

"You make it easy."

titan_v
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:32 am 

^ I saw that the other day as well. Appears osmose reissued Disastrous Murmur - Rhapsodies in Red.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next