Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:47 pm 

Inspired by the other thread, regarding lineup changes: which bands never changed lineup? To make it somewhat interesting, let's say bands who have actually put out a few albums, and who consist of at least 4 members.

I thought of this while listening to Moonsorrow recently. They're the picture of stability, putting out several fantastic albums over 20 years with the exact same people. They are also a band who, in my opinion, have always been more 'whole rather than sum-of-their-parts' band; like, the individual instrumentalists are rarely outstanding, but they mesh so well to produce outstanding music.

But this isn't (necessarily) a thread to rave about Moonsorrow. Which other bands belong in this conversation?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:59 pm 

Macabre has only had the same 3 members since 1985. 35 years with no lineup changes? That's insanely tight.

I thought there was a power metal band from Germany or something that also had the same lineup for over 30 years. They even had some sort of agreement with each other about it to not go on if any of them wasn't involved.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:20 pm 

U2 and ZZ Top are the kings. Never had a lineup change. Rush, honorable mention.

In metal, damn. Only one I can think of is Exist Trace, an all-girl former VK band from Japan. They have been together 15 years without a lineup change, and given the instability of girl bands over there that's remarkable.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:48 pm 

Fun game! Noumena is the only one I could think of that have done it for 20+ years.

Not that crazy, but False have now been around for a decade with the same six members. They're all best friends and two of them are even getting married soon.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:53 pm 

Macabre is the big one for sure, though they technically don't qualify for the OP since they don't have four members. Either way it's admirable how long they've managed to go with the same three guys since day one, extra impressive since they have also (for the most part) never even played with other bands. It's apparently a running joke in the Chicago metal scene that Cianide always tells them to just break up already so they can have the longest lasting lineup, lol.

And this one also just kinda depends on where you draw the line for metal, but it's pretty impressive that Rammstein is creeping up on 30 years with the original lineup still. Both bands are equally slow to release anything nowadays but I feel like that's part of the reason they're still together anyway. I definitely remember reading somewhere that Kruspe attributes their longevity to an understanding that if anybody wants a break, the whole band just takes a break. That way they're always on the same page and always equally excited to be doing what they're doing.

Up until a few months ago Lamb of God would've qualified as well, and the reason their streak is so impressive is because I've been sure that Chris and Mark were one wrong sentence away from ragequitting ever since 2004, so the fact that they managed another fifteen years since then before one of them broke and finally quit is incredible.

jthompson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:47 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
And this one also just kinda depends on where you draw the line for metal, but it's pretty impressive that Rammstein is creeping up on 30 years with the original lineup still. Both bands are equally slow to release anything nowadays but I feel like that's part of the reason they're still together anyway. I definitely remember reading somewhere that Kruspe attributes their longevity to an understanding that if anybody wants a break, the whole band just takes a break. That way they're always on the same page and always equally excited to be doing what they're doing.

This is the one that immediately came to my mind. I find it really refreshing their attitude toward the band and each other.

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:06 pm 

I can only think of a few bands that come close.

I thought Gorefest had the same lineup all along but it's from the second album (1992) onwards.
Skepticism has also had the same lineup since 1992 and the same four members on every album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:09 pm 

Edguy has had the same lineup since very early in their career before they had much output. They were school friends and it seems that's carried over into making them a solid unit as a band for decades now.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:56 pm 

No mention of Krisiun yet? The were initially a 4-piece during the demo era, but it's been the same principle 3 brothers ever since 1990.

And how about Unleashed? Johnny, Anders, and pretty much Tomas have all been there since the beginning. Fredrik, the "new guy" joined in 1995 and it's been the same lineup ever since.

And maybe it's cheating, but Paradise Lost should be mentioned too...same 4 guys ever since the beginning is fucking crazy! Granted, I'm sure a handful of their drummers have died in mysterious gardening accidents, choking on someone else's vomit, or spontaneous combustion onstage so that dampens it a bit.

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:07 pm 

The extremely talented, versatile and eclectic japanese trio Boris arguably qualify here. All three members have been around for almost three entire decades now. They formed in 1992 and have released 29 full-lenghts in countless musical genres. Their most solid and memorable material is definitely their more stoner rock/metal releases, their doom, noise rock and even their drone releases (Heavy Rocks, Pink, Präparat, Pink, Absolutego, Smile, Flood). Some of their more experimental releases were also quite enjoyable!

I'm arguably qualify because they (and I didn't know about that until I checked for this thread) had a drummer between 1992 and 1996 who only released two demos with the band before Atsuno, who until that point only did the vocals replaced him on drums. From that point onward and for all of their studio releases until now, it's been always the three of them, Wata, Atsuo and Takeshi.

Not counting the demo era, they basically have been together from 1996 to now.

Last edited by HeavenDuff on Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:04 am 

Neurosis! Almost, anyways.

Scott, Steve, Dave and Jason had been in the band since The Word As Law, and then since Noah Landis started handling keys/samples during Through Silver And Blood, they've been consistent ever since.

Paka01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:35 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Macabre has only had the same 3 members since 1985. 35 years with no lineup changes? That's insanely tight.

I thought there was a power metal band from Germany or something that also had the same lineup for over 30 years. They even had some sort of agreement with each other about it to not go on if any of them wasn't involved.

You're maybe referring to german prog metal band Vanden Plas?

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:25 am 

When are we starting the band's timeline? Maximum the Hormone had a few changes in their early days but by the time they released their first album they had settled on the lineup they have now.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:36 am 

Well, Paradise Lost kept like 90% of their lineup from 1987 to this day.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:10 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Edguy has had the same lineup since very early in their career before they had much output. They were school friends and it seems that's carried over into making them a solid unit as a band for decades now.

That's fair, although it doesn't really fit the OP's parameters. Technically, the exact current line-up first appeared only on their fourth album ('Theater'). The first two albums had the original line-up, while the third ('Vain Glory') had a session drummer, and Tobias still played bass on that one. Three albums is not a negligible output, especially for those of us who only care for their power metal era (that's half of it).

But you're still right in the grand scheme of things. Their line-up changes were pretty minimal and the core trio of Tobias and the two guitarists has been together since they were kids. It's very similar to Blind Guardian (singer/bassist quits bass, they hire a bassist, drummer quits and gets replaced), except that Edguy made those changes earlier in their career, more or less around the same time, and they weren't assholes with their new bass player like BG.

In terms of German power metal, these two bands are still the most stable line-ups I can think of. Most of the other big ones have had a revolving door throughout their careers.

Sunioj_Paul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:14 am 

Vanden Plas from Germany have had the same and only 5 members since 1986! That's metal!

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Vanden_Plas/1400

l Lunaris l
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:48 am 

Rammstein. Surprised they've not been mentioned yet.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:10 am 

Earthshaker has had the same line up since 1980. 30 albums and EPs and 5 live albums, still going.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:12 am 

l Lunaris l wrote:
Rammstein. Surprised they've not been mentioned yet.

Except they're not metal. And was already mentioned.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:02 pm 

Paka01 wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

You're maybe referring to german prog metal band Vanden Plas?

Yes, that's exactly who it was, thank you. I couldn't remember the name. I got the genre wrong but I remember coming across their page in passing once and seeing their incredibly stable lineup.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Vanden_Plas/1400

The band today is the exact 5 members it started with in 1986 (34 years!). That deserves some kind of praise.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:05 pm 

You could say Gojira, as their line up change came when they were called Godzilla.

Same line up since 2001 (when they changed to the Gojira moniker), with the one line up change occurring in 1998.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:39 pm 

Would Brocas Helm count? They've had the same core lineup for 38 years, and the only other members were two short lived second guitarists.

ElMinistroMudo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:44 pm 

Yellow Machinegun from Japan. Metal punk. Same line-up since 1993.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:39 pm 

Aerosmith i think has the same 5 guys since the 70s.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:53 pm 

metroplex wrote:
Aerosmith i think has the same 5 guys since the 70s.

Joe Perry as well as one of the other classic members left the band a long time ago and the classic line-up reunited I think around 1987 and have been stable since.

MARK9000
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:53 pm 

Ray Tabano was from 1970 - 1971 Aerosmith's second guitarist, before Brad Whitford, and there where like 2 other guitarists as well, but as of now, you could say pretty much they're all original members. Only Tyler, Hamilton and Kramer are the constant ones.

Aldrahn333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:36 pm 

The biggest band of all time, Led Zeppelin.

.. and Burzum

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:51 pm 

Just thought, one of my favourite bands of all time has done this.

Not metal, but I think many people here dig them. Radiohead. Same guys since the early 90's. No one ever left. They added an extra percussionist in 2011, but other than that, same lineup.

Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:22 pm 

If you count their formative years as On A Friday, the five of them have been together since 1985!
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:31 am 

Watain

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:45 pm 

metroplex wrote:
Watain

All three remaining members are founding members, yes, but one of their guitarists left the band in 2000.

Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:21 am 

One can be excused for missing that bit of info, though - I own two pressings of Rabid Death's Curse and neither mentions he's on the damn record!

EDIT: out of curiosity I had a look on discogs and found out the very first cd pressing on Drakkar has a picture of the four piece line-up (no idea about the lp on EAL). The Drakkar cd repress (with the bonus Dødheimsgard cover) and the Season of Mist digipack cd only show the familiar three piece. No idea behind the motives, but seems pretty shitty towards the departed fella.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Substantia_Nigrae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:27 am 

Carcass, until Ken Owen got sick.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:01 pm 

Carcass had a few line up changes early on. They had a separate vocalist who quit prior to recording "Reek of Putrefaction." And I remember the Arch Enemy guy was with them for a while in the early 1990s. Bill and Jeff have been the two constant members but there were a few other guys who came and went over the years.

Raw Ride
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:08 am 

Pharaoh's had the same four guys for nearly 25 years.

Substantia_Nigrae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:22 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Carcass had a few line up changes early on. They had a separate vocalist who quit prior to recording "Reek of Putrefaction." And I remember the Arch Enemy guy was with them for a while in the early 1990s. Bill and Jeff have been the two constant members but there were a few other guys who came and went over the years.

Don't be petty, come one.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:15 pm 

End of Green from Germany. Same members since 1992.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:31 pm 

Be'lakor haven't been around for a super long time, but they've only had one member change in their entire tenure as a band.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:25 am 

Raw Ride wrote:
Pharaoh's had the same four guys for nearly 25 years.

And they never do anything :(((((

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:30 am 

Substantia_Nigrae wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:

Don't be petty, come one.

No bro, Carcass doesn't even come close to fitting the bill. He's just telling it to you how it is. Michael Amott even worked on Heartwork but not on the two previous records.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next