Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:35 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/D ... tal/789476

Just saw this pop up... their last album was a huge steaming pile of shit, but the song titles and cover for this look so absolutely insane I might have to check it out anyway. I still like Sonic Firestorm a lot. Haven't played that lately. Might go back to it soon.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:11 am 

First song is out although I haven’t listened to it yet.

Youtube: show

Looks like Vadim Pruzhanov is out of the band as of last year? He was their primary songwriter iirc so him leaving seems like an ill omen to me.

EDIT: Listened to the song. It's okay I guess. It's a pretty by the book Dragonforce song. Also, Herman Li does /the thing/ at 3:50 in case anyone was wondering.

Last edited by tahu157 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:19 am 

I'm surprised it took them this long to use that title.

LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:34 am 

I remember seeing them open for Kamelot a few years ago, and being surprised that they actually put on a pretty good, energetic good performance. I had heard a lot of rumors that they couldn't pull off their shit live, but for the most part, they did.

I agree about their last album being pretty lacking, I'm hoping this one's a couple steps up. I want my guilty pleasures to make pleasing albums, obviously.

Interesting that they got Dance With the Dead to open for them on their upcoming headlining tour. I guess synthwave and metal have a pretty big crossover in terms of fanbase though.

Dullahan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:20 pm 

tahu157 wrote:
First song is out although I haven’t listened to it yet.

Youtube: show

Looks like Vadim Pruzhanov is out of the band as of last year? He was their primary songwriter iirc so him leaving seems like an ill omen to me.

EDIT: Listened to the song. It's okay I guess. It's a pretty by the book Dragonforce song. Also, Herman Li does /the thing/ at 3:50 in case anyone was wondering.

I'd love to see what kind of video a band like Keldian could pull off with that concept and budget.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:23 pm 

Wow, someone on their marketing team very obviously said "Hey, synthwave is cool with metal kids these days, right?"

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:27 pm 

They've officially made playing fast un-cool.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:57 pm 

Sounds good to me. I shamelessly like the blistering paced, cheesiness of DragonForce. I don't think they'll ever be as good as they were with ZP, though. His voice just fit the music perfectly.

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:47 pm 

I watched the video out of morbid curiosity and while the song is just... well, MORE Dragonforce basically, the part with the guy driving the big truck/van put a stupid fucking smile on my face. It's very dumb in a good way, imo.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:34 pm 

I have to say this song is a lot better than their last one. It's ridiculous but I like the gaudiness of it. Then again the previous one also only had like one good single and the rest was crap so who knows?

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:38 pm 

i didn't like the film Ready Player One, and I don't like this.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:40 pm 

It's kind of astounding that DragonForce were able to make an entire career out of writing literally the same song over and over again simply because Guitar Hero made them a meme over a decade ago. Still, they write the one song they know how to write pretty well, and that song was completely fucking ridiculous and kinda catchy & fun.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:16 am 

Subrick wrote:
It's kind of astounding that DragonForce were able to make an entire career out of writing literally the same song over and over again simply because Guitar Hero made them a meme over a decade ago. Still, they write the one song they know how to write pretty well, and that song was completely fucking ridiculous and kinda catchy & fun.

There are honestly a lot of metal bands that do this to some degree or other. It's all just pleasing the fans.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:49 am 

DragonForce absolutely feels like the most egregious of them all, though.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:10 am 

I've always had a soft spot for this band, but that intro was horrid. Like a z-grade worship band.

NoSoup4you22
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:23 am 

At least it's more concise than their old stuff.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:26 am 

I really like this song, actually. It's exactly the kind of thing I go to Dragonforce for, and was sadly lacking in the previous album. Hopefully the rest of the album is more like this.
Mob Psycho 100 II
After That: Martian Successor Nadesico and The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:27 pm 

Does the solo section sound oddly muted to anyone else?

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:51 pm 

So the album is actually called "Extreme Power Metal" huh?

Well, something to be said for truth in advertising... at least you know what you're getting!

I've never really gotten super into the whole "Disney Princess Castle Fairy Tales on Crank" kind of metal, but I admit- it's kind of fun to listen to a song or two from bands like this every now and again...but that's about all I can handle. I'm sure this will still be a pretty good album.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:06 pm 

Presented without comment.

Quote:
I'm surprised it took them this long to use that title.

They wrote a song called "EPM" back in 2008 as I recall.

Quote:

Up until 2012, Sam Totman was the primary songwriter. Since then, their bassist Fred LeClercq has written most of the songs. Attentive fans might notice a massive drop in quality around this period.

Lots of people think DragonForce sucked from day one, but to me they had a cool and interesting sound. I still love the first four albums, particularly "Sonic Firestorm".

Newer DragonForce is just bleh, and increasingly hard to distinguish from shit bands like Gloryhammer.

Vadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:25 am 

The cars in the beginning of the video are Dodge Challengers.

They didn't even try to make them look futuristic. They literally just slapped shitty neon on some Challengers the local Dodge dealership probably loaned them for a week.

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:02 am 

Those Challengers are completely CGI, so the fact they aren't futurized is even lazier. On the other hand, perhaps behind the scenes there was a contract with Dodge that said they needed to represent the current year model to a certain degree or something, who knows.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxGVzS3nhB0/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:48 am 

Anyone else looking forward to the Celine Dion cover???

I mean it can't be extreme power metal without a huge hefty helping of cheese.

Sonic Firestorm remains my go to album from these guys.

Disembodied
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:58 am 

Yeah. It's really not a good music video, is it? It barely makes any effort to integrate the music with what we're seeing, and the singer looks a mixture of irritated and bored. Zero passion.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:49 am 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
I remember seeing them open for Kamelot a few years ago

Would have sworn that Dragonforce was more popular than Kamelot... things have changed I guess.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:43 am 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Anyone else looking forward to the Celine Dion cover???

If it's anything like that Ring of Fire cover they did a couple songs ago, I'll just go ahead and dread it.

Aydross wrote:
LycanthropeMoon wrote:
I remember seeing them open for Kamelot a few years ago

Would have sworn that Dragonforce was more popular than Kamelot... things have changed I guess.

When that tour was announced, I distinctly remember noting to myself that the slots would be the other way around if it had been announced back in 2006.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:31 pm 

Dragonforce and Kamelot have similar trajectories in that they both lost a storied vocalist and then hired a new guy who was close enough but not quite there - and at that same time the music began to become more generic and less interesting.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:39 pm 

At least Kamelot came out swinging with Silverthorn before taking a dive. The Power Within wasn't terrible, but I recall it just being kind of average.

Though honestly, I think that Ring of Fire cover would have sounded great with ZP.

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:42 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
At least Kamelot came out swinging with Silverthorn before taking a dive. The Power Within wasn't terrible, but I recall it just being kind of average.

Though honestly, I think that Ring of Fire cover would have sounded great with ZP.

Power Within was OK but it did have a few cool songs - it mostly sounded like a tribute band trying to sound like DF, rather than actually like them. And yeah I do still like Silverthorn - would've been nice if they had kept that poppy goth sound with that level of writing quality.

TafferLad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:08 pm 

Dragonforce's 15 minutes have been up for a long time, their popularity died with guitar hero

Jiggleslinky
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:20 pm 

For what it's worth the actual song (at least on Spotify) is almost 7 minutes. Guess they cut it down TTFaF style for the music video. I think it's just more DragonForce -- nothing new. I love DF so I'll just keep giving them my money. Anything made of cheese I will devour.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:30 pm 

That track is awful. Every time I give them a go I’m reminded how much I really don’t like them.

in_the_sign_of_metal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:04 am 

I haven't really been tuned into DF since Maximum Overload. This song just seemed like more of the same in every way. The chorus was there, sure, but it really didn't do anything for me and the song could have done (very) well without the synthwave thing.

idunnosomename
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:51 pm 

like Sabaton I'm amazed how they use the same melodic forms in song after song. I mean the chorus in this. I keep thinking they're going to sing Valley of the Damed.

although Dragonforce have the added shittiness of their guitar solos and lead, while being extremely precise, rapid and virtuosic, having all the musicality of a window cleaner humming no particular tune to himself.

Mellifleur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:28 pm 

More than anything I'm blown away by the cover. They don't even want to pretend they aren't trendhoppers. Admirable in a way...

exsiccation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:56 pm 

Dragonforce is bad and makes bad music. That song is absolute fucking crap.

Vadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:25 pm 

Subrick wrote:

Outside of trad power metal is basically as mainstream-appealing as metal can possibly get since it focuses so heavily on melody and is almost always entirely cleans/singing. Dragonforce was just the lucky band that managed to get in a space where normies could hear them in the first place.

...and I must admit, I was one of those dumbass kids who didn't like anything with "screaming" in it yet had a Dragonforce CD. I played the fuck out of Inhuman Rampage on my ipod, jesus...

Spoiler: show
honestly, I'd be down for a band that's basically "Dragonforce but better"

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:08 am 

Vadara wrote:
Spoiler: show
honestly, I'd be down for a band that's basically "Dragonforce but better"

Soooo, Sonic Firestorm? :D

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:45 am 

Yeah, have some people just not heard either of their first two? They were legitimately great back then, albeit still goofy.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:07 am 

I like to recommend Zephaniah's most recent album to people as a Dragonforce alternative. Also, poor Cellador...

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next