Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Vigintiseptem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:30 am 

Hallucinogen begins a new era for BLUT AUS NORD, ending the cycle of clandestine industrialised dissonance that culminated with previous transmission Deus Salutis Meae and moving skyward into freshly melodic territories of progressive clarity.

Interweaving dreamlike choirs, inimitable harmonic developments, reflective clean guitars, palpable organic drumming and a welcome rock and roll swagger, Hallucinogen is a spacious, emotionally wide-ranging record that finds BLUT AUS NORD more open than ever, full of life and revelling in the element of surprise.

Hallucinogen is yet another coherent universe from a band who have moved away from familiar tropes, aesthetics and comfort zones to unite - with Dionysian spirit - under/overland, surface/void, metropolis/mountain and the vastness of the mind’s eye into an indispensable addition to their unparalleled body of work.

releases October 11, 2019

Okay, I'm really looking forward to this but also a bit worried. How does Vindsval "swagger" exactly? No samples up yet.

HviteGuden
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:38 am 

For the moment the project has been releasing only quality stuff, so I'm gonna wait this.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:04 am 

I've always liked the Memoria Vetusta line over their industrial stuff, so anything back in that style is great as far as I'm concerned. Though I'm kind of curious about this "rock and roll swagger..."

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

Vigintiseptem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:14 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I've always liked the Memoria Vetusta line over their industrial stuff, so anything back in that style is great as far as I'm concerned. Though I'm kind of curious about this "rock and roll swagger..."

Vindsval is making Memoria Vetusta IV under the name The Meditant, so this will be something different.

Gravetemplar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:28 am 

I'm curious to hear this but I'm not sure if it'll be any good.

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:03 am 

Vigintiseptem wrote:
How does Vindsval "swagger" exactly? No samples up yet.

Vindsval gonna give us a cock rock album.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:37 am 

Yeah I'm also a bit worried about the "rock and roll swagger" bit - not to mention they have a shirt design where their logo looks like Electric Wizard's :S we'll see what happens

I mean, their industrial stuff is cool but I find it's hit and miss sometimes - the last album was good, but not great, and I also prefer the Memoria Vetusta series over it. They've also rarely stuck to 1 type of style anyways, even within their aesthetic, so I'm sure it'll still sound pretty BAN. A shift in style could be a good move at this point.

Auch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:58 pm 

HviteGuden wrote:
For the moment the project has been releasing only quality stuff, so I'm gonna wait this.

I’m a total fan boy of BAN and prefer their more industrial stuff but I’ve never been disappointed by anything they’ve put out or anything Vindsval has put out under any name so I’m sure this will be cool and intriguing at the very least. I’m really interested and excited what it’ll be like if The Meditant is supposed to be more Memoria Vetusta style and Yeruselem is focusing on the industrial approach.

Discordant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:16 pm 

Im looking forward to this, not sure how good it will be as I always thought they have been "hit or miss" no matter if its their industrial stuff or not. Hope they deliver!

https://imperiator.bandcamp.com/
Old-school Bathory/Immortal/Dissection

Kalimata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:23 am 

Vigintiseptem wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

Vindsval is making Memoria Vetusta IV under the name The Meditant, so this will be something different.

Vindsval has always been announcing side-projects which would finally be released under Blut Aus Nord's name... and Blut Aus Nord projects that would be released under other names... and projects that have never seen the light... or many years later. Therefore I'm sceptical about whatever he announces now. Wait and see.

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:50 pm 

Yerûšelem = Vindsval + W.D. Feld
The Meditant = Vindsval + ???
BaN's Hallucinogen = Vindsval + ???

Auch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:59 am 

I believe BAN is Vindsval, W.D. Feld, Thorns, and GhÖst still (although they still usually only have 3 people in band photos). Except for when it’s just Vindsval, like the 777 albums.

No idea of the official line-up for The Meditant has been announced.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:33 pm 

I am definitely very intrigued about this “organic” “rock n roll swagger”, so much so that I am actually chomping at the bit to hear samples. I think this is gonna be something awesome.

Auch wrote:
I believe BAN is Vindsval, W.D. Feld, Thorns, and GhÖst still (although they still usually only have 3 people in band photos). Except for when it’s just Vindsval, like the 777 albums.

I’ve never once been convinced that GhÖst or W.D. Field are real people. It’s obvious that the albums are Vindsval playing everything and programming the drums, except on the album where it’s obvious the drums are played (by Thorns) and not programmed.

The musical structure, in terms of harmonic composition, layering, and rhythmic cadence, is exactly the same regardless of whether one person is credited or three. Hell, even the drum samples are identical between albums. It’s patently obvious BAN is the work of one individual.
Obliteration

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:13 pm 

Auch wrote:

I know what's the official line-up is like, what I would like to know is who will play in BaN's and The Meditant's upcoming albums.
Is Hallucinogen going to be yet another Vindsval's solo album or will Potenti (and the other ''two guys'') also play on it?

Auch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:19 pm 

Ah I got you. I misunderstood.

I also assumed that BAN was only Vindsval across all albums until I found an interview for Yeruselem’s album that swore it was both Vindsval and W. D. Feld and wasn’t sure why an outlet would feel the need to specify that detail if W. D. Feld doesn’t exist. It’s still a possibility but just an odd insistence in my mind.

Kalimata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:55 am 

Quote:
I’ve never once been convinced that GhÖst or W.D. Field are real people. It’s obvious that the albums are Vindsval playing everything and programming the drums, except on the album where it’s obvious the drums are played (by Thorns) and not programmed.

The musical structure, in terms of harmonic composition, layering, and rhythmic cadence, is exactly the same regardless of whether one person is credited or three. Hell, even the drum samples are identical between albums. It’s patently obvious BAN is the work of one individual.

I totally agree with that, this is what I have always been thinking about Blut Aus Nord. I'm almost sure that the project is a one man band, and the other mentioned names are just ghost musicians. These names began to be used with TWWTG if I'm right. It was also the time when Blut Aus Nord changed its image as the project was mutating into something different.
Guest musicians possibly played on some BAN releases or songs from times to times, but I'm pretty sure this "line-up" was made to create confusion to build a new image and add mystery.
So people trying to find out which album Ghöst or W.D. Field play on always sound funny to me!

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:46 pm 

Auch wrote:
Ah I got you. I misunderstood.

I also assumed that BAN was only Vindsval across all albums until I found an interview for Yeruselem’s album that swore it was both Vindsval and W. D. Feld and wasn’t sure why an outlet would feel the need to specify that detail if W. D. Feld doesn’t exist. It’s still a possibility but just an odd insistence in my mind.

You probably misunderstood me because I wrote Yerûšelem = Vindsval + W.D. Feld and not Yerûšelem = Vindsval + ''W.D. Feld'', and that implied that to me W.D. Feld, consequently GhÖst, are existing musicians.
Kalimata wrote:
Quote:

I totally agree with that, this is what I have always been thinking about Blut Aus Nord. I'm almost sure that the project is a one man band, and the other mentioned names are just ghost musicians. These names began to be used with TWWTG if I'm right. It was also the time when Blut Aus Nord changed its image as the project was mutating into something different.
Guest musicians possibly played on some BAN releases or songs from times to times, but I'm pretty sure this "line-up" was made to create confusion to build a new image and add mystery.
So people trying to find out which album Ghöst or W.D. Field play on always sound funny to me!

The archives actually list W.D. Feld as the drummer for Ultima Thulée.

Auch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:54 pm 

I guess someone will just have to ask Vindsval if they’re real.

Kalimata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:15 pm 

Quote:
The archives actually list W.D. Feld as the drummer for Ultima Thulée.

The Archives are wrong about this. I've been listening to Blut Aus Nord since Ultima Thulée was released back in 1995 and there was no W.D. Feld back then and he's not mentioned at all in the original CD version: there's only Vinsvald and another bass player. Anyway it doesn't take much effort to figure out a programmed has been used on this one, as for almost ever BAN's album.
Vinsvald first announced Yerûšelem was a collaboration with the Spektr's drummer, and now it's said to be a project of with... W.D. Feld... Therefore there are three options: W.D. Feld is for real but I don't think so, or it's another pseudonym for Spektr's drummer when he collaborates with Vinsvald, or this moniker is used by Vinsvald whenever he feels like using it for some reason...
Having read Vinsvald interviews since the beginning, what he says about his projects and musicians has never been very consistent...

Last edited by Kalimata on Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kalimata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:16 pm 

Auch wrote:

He will say they are real, even if they are not. We may not learn much from him...

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:26 pm 

If I was forced to commit to a belief, i'd edge toward W.D. Feld being fiction. Like FBD said, BaN's approach and instrumentation always match up cohesively. Part of the reason M.V. III wasn't as enjoyable for me; those drums were noticeably from a different mind than the rest of the music and it just didn't mesh and elevate the album to something better.

Kalimata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:41 am 

Auch wrote:

Vinsvald once said in an interview where he was being asked about the band photos that nothing prooves they are actual band photos but they can be just artistic pictures. It shows well how the guy likes to confuse issues! In another interview, he said that he wants to stay anonymous and not to expose himself to the public. Building a fake line-up may be a way of confusing people and keeping this anonymity.

This line-up issue reminds a bit about Diabolical Masquerade. Their releases always list "The Spirits - Unearthly presence and dark omens" as line-up members. I guess W.D. Feld plays as much drums on BAN records as The Spirits play "unearthly presence and dark omens" on Diabolical Masquerade's ones...

Auch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:52 pm 

Kalimata wrote:
Auch wrote:

He will say they are real, even if they are not. We may not learn much from him...

Yes, I’m aware. That was the joke.

I should clarify that when I say “I believe...” I’m not saying I personally believe these people exist. I’m saying that I believe this to be Vindsval’s assertions about BAN. I’m mostly of the mind that W. D. Feld and GhÖst probably don’t exist but I’m not going to say for -00% they don’t.

Reply to topic