Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:28 am 

Wolf are probably one of the better NWOTHM bands. And now they will release their eight full length album, and first one in six years. It's called Feeding the Machine and will be released on March 13th via Century Media Records.

01. Shoot to Kill
02. Guillotine
03. Dead Man's Hand
04. Midnight Hour
05. Mass Confusion
06. The Cold Emptiness
07. Feeding the Machine
08. Devil in the Flesh
09. Spoon Bender
10. The Raven
11. Black Widow
12. A Thief Inside

Bonus track:
13. Atlantis (Angel Witch cover)

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:28 pm 

Will check it out for sure!

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:49 pm 

Love me some Wolf so I will check the new album and probably buy it if it any good. Is there a sample track out there?

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:13 pm 

I enjoyed a few songs on the debut, but none since then. Anybody with me on that one?

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:16 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
I enjoyed a few songs on the debut, but none since then. Anybody with me on that one?

Nope. Loved "Evil Star" and "Steelwinged Savage Reaper" (from "The Black Flame") is my absolutely favourite Wolf track.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:49 am 

Fucking great! Anyone know what they were doing for 6 years?

I think most fans felt that Devil Seed was their weakest effort so far, so I'm not sure if they will continue in that more eclectic direction or go back to more classic speed/heavy style.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:02 am 

Yeah, Devil Seed was weak and I think I played it maybe two or three times and forgot about it. Legion of Bastards was good. The Black Flame is great and what more trad bands should be like - hopefully they get some of that vigor on here.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:10 am 

I'll be certain to give this a few listens. The last album didn't do much for me but they've been a pretty consistent band otherwise.

I think Ravenous is definitely their best. Almost every song is a winner on that one. The Black Flame is also really good as well.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:13 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Fucking great! Anyone know what they were doing for 6 years?

Looks like they've had some major lineup changes recently with two members who had been in the band 10+ years leaving. Could have something to do with it I guess.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:47 am 

I'm curious to see how this turns out. I've only listened to a couple of their albums but they seemed like high B tier on my first listens.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:00 am 

New song:

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:05 am 

Hmmm. I do not know how to feel about that one. I guess it is energetic enough but it did not grab me.

Last edited by Zdan on Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:52 am 

That was pretty badass. Just a simple ass-kicker. Hopefully all of it is at least that good.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:37 am 

Wolf bothers me. I should like them more than I do, especially since I love Evil Star and The Black Flame. But nothing else they've done sticks with me whatsoever, and I don't know why.

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:35 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Wolf bothers me. I should like them more than I do, especially since I love Evil Star and The Black Flame. But nothing else they've done sticks with me whatsoever, and I don't know why.

I understand totally. My case is basically the same - I have some other songs here and there that I like but no other albums of their really caught on like those two with me.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:48 pm 

Zdan wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

I understand totally. My case is basically the same - I have some other songs here and there that I like but no other albums of their really caught on like those two with me.

Like, outside of those two albums, the only song that has the secret sauce is "Skull Crusher" off Legions of Bastards. They need to get another bottle of the secret sauce.

Mellifleur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:12 pm 

Rad af cover art. Never heard a single wolf song, but based on that artwork, I will be checking this out!

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:44 pm 

Song was kind boring at first but really started growing on me about halfway through. Awesome lead guitar and cool vocals in the chorus.
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:48 pm 

I saw Wolf last year and they were super headliners (but I also loved UK band Primitai as their support), but I think their first album is great and it's sad they seem to ignore it now. The first album cover is also actually brilliant, as long as you look at the wolf whorehouse on the back that baboon wolf is heading to. It was done by a Swedish children's book illustrator and it's a shame it got shit for looking weird when that was kinda the point.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:10 pm 

I've never really given this band much attention, but covering my favorite Angel Witch song definitely helps their cause.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:11 pm 

Have y'all hear that? T'was the sound of my stentorian, jubilantly enthused (Wolf) bellow heard around the World...OK, heard around the block, then...

Man, what utterly, downright wicked news! A new Wolf album! Gas and I had pretty much figured the lupine Orebro juggernot went away like the Dodo byrd...

That said, I readily agree with Zelkiiro quipping "Like, outside of those two albums, the only song that has the secret sauce is "Skull Crusher" off Legions of Bastards. They need to get another bottle of the secret sauce."

Ha! The lobotomizing super lead to Skull Crusher was the c(l)incher for this thrower, anyhow...Ailes Noires, Le Grain du Mal, La Flamme Noire et Legions de Batards merrily wrung my goat ('s neck)...

To wit, Ambush and Mindless Sinner are also slipping back into the fray next month or so yonder...

(Doom/heavy psych/occult rock fans owe it to themselves to glean some Isles of Mars as well...)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:09 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Have y'all hear that? T'was the sound of my stentorian, jubilantly enthused (Wolf) bellow heard around the World...OK, heard around the block, then...

Man, what utterly, downright wicked news! A new Wolf album! Gas and I had pretty much figured the lupine Orebro juggernot went away like the Dodo byrd...

That said, I readily agree with Zelkiiro quipping "Like, outside of those two albums, the only song that has the secret sauce is "Skull Crusher" off Legions of Bastards. They need to get another bottle of the secret sauce."

I so dig that you dig that Wolf are back! Feared they'd succumbed to the lupine darkness for ever.

But, really, do none of you get how wicked Black Wings was? Does no one like 'Speed On', 'Kursk-141', or 'Curse You Salem'? You're fucking with me, right?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:55 am 

It's been a while, but yeah I don't get all the fuss in here. They were always at least solid. The Black Flame was their best but all the others were at least pretty good pieces of metal, except for the slightly weaker last one.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:50 pm 

Oh, I get it...duly (so!)

Stalvind's deadly prose on the opening stanza to TBF's "I Will Kill Again", alongside said Skull Crushing tour de force - and, to a chorally wicked /s(l)eizing effect or extent, "Hope to Die", are what truly established Wolf as one of my top New Wave of Scandia Heavy Metal, up there next to Ambush and Enforcer (well, at least until the latter's Zenith semi-turd[o]).

Wasn't too keen on the full-length bookends; also, whilst deciding on a score for said BF gem, humbly differed to gasman with a 99% (a minute digression from his oh-so-well-warranted and merited 100%), while also hoping against hope such "breathing" room would, in time, spur the carnivorously vulpine windundret into topping it somehow. Lo! I've a (rabid) feeling...this is akin to telling me Aliens just landed and dig Sabbath!

(Regarding Wingblack, what about "Venom"?! Surely, I'm sweating out the poison!)

btw doesn't the wicked & rad, albeit sinister and mildly disturbed, cover art to " Alimenter La Machine" iconically parallel that of Bedemon's "Enfant de l'Obscurite"...?

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:39 am 

I am one of the biggest Wolf fans in the world. Easily. I consider them to be hands down the best heavy metal band of the past 20 years with a fantastic discography.

I am quite perplexed by the comments on their last one, which I thought was magnificent and way better than the surprisingly mediocre Legions of Bastards. Legions has 3 GREAT songs (Skull Crusher, Tales from the Crypt and of course Kursk-141: "INTO THE VOOOOOOOOOOID!!!") and some good ones (like Absinthe or Full Moon Possession), which of course still makes it one of the best heavy metal albums of the year but subpar for Wolf. The rest of their discography does not fall below an 8 (9 for me to be honest) and Evil Star and The Black Flame are BY FAR, imho of course, the best heavy metal albums of the past decade (edit: ooops! That would be the decade before that! Shit!). CRAZY good albums, right up there with any classic heavy metal album.

Of course the first two are fantastic as well (even with the debut's tame vocals and the too obvious Maiden influences), Ravenous is awesome (YES! CURSE YOU SALEM INDEED, with the godly intro of that hot solo but also Speed On, Voodoo, Mr. Twisted and that beautiful solo, Love at First Bite, just amazing all around)... Back to the last one, who doesn't like Killing Floor, I Am Pain or Back from the Grave? Honestly now. And Dark Passenger, with the dark, Dreamhealer kind of vibe, REALLY gets me...

Anyway, back in 2011-14 I used to bust everyone's balls with Wolf (peak fanboy period), I eventually made friends with Niklas and Simon and then the wonderful Greg (of Eat Metal) decided to bring them over for the first time in Athens, putting them on the next day after the Up the Hammers festival (2015, the one with Manilla Road headlining, incl. a set with Randy Thrasher). Then someone asked me to write about their discography and I did, but it was a bit too enthusiastic and antagonistic, haha, I was venting against some of my (former by then) colleagues who in their youth had written some pretty harsh stuff about them (esp., their debut) and had failed to follow their careeer. Anyway, a (pretty bad mostly) translation of that can be found here: Metal Invader - The Month of the Wolf Eh, not my finest work but gets the point of across, albeit a tad obnoxiously...

The point is that enough buzz was generated and their last album was covered by most of the press and it got glowing reviews everywhere, most of them saying this was their best album yet! Don't agree for a second with that but it IS a fine, FINE album and I really cannot recommend it enough.

The best part of course was that I got to talk with Niklas a lot, formed a friendship and that paid off immensely because the band rehearsed their biggest live set EVER (2 hours), which I of course enjoyed immensely, felt like less than an hour to me and yeah, we got to hear Moonlight and Electric Raga from the debut, Children of the Black Flame from the The Black Flame and tons of other shit. Awesome night, also got to meet after many, many years since our first net encounter MacMoney and the lovely Radia and of course spent the night drikinking with Niklas and Simon, talking about metal and hearing great stories! Even better, one year later, Wolf was booked for a festival in my city in Crete, again amazing setlist (also got In the Shadow of Steel from the debut!) and more beer drinking. Good times!

NOW, the new song and album. I was sad to see Richard and Anders go, great musicians both of them, thankfully their replacements seem capable of filling their shoes. The new song? I wasn't hot on it at first but I am really warming up to it (3 times I've listened to it), esp., the chorus and the riff. I think it will work very well live. But I am hoping for much hotter stuff. Like the Cannibal Corpse pizza album cover too.

In Wolf and Niklas I trust. Niklas by the way is a very, VERY underappreciated guitarist, he plays all guitars on the first three and most of them until the last one, where Simon handles most leads.

Vic's Dungeon:

The Best of 2017

Best of 2016- The sloppiest list on the web

Remember the Fallen: Paul Baloff (Exodus), Keith Deen (Holy Terror)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:37 am 

@Dungeon_Vic - Ah! This has got me all frothed up! Couldn't agree more with what you wrote on your webpage, and I accept that Devil Seed grew on me more and more as time went by. You're a lucky guy!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:31 pm 

Hell-a lucky, I'd say! It's great to hear such regalia, notably about an outfit we all dig so (not the sartorial kind, mind).

Oh, boy, yes, Midnight Hour rocks to Sumerland and back; it's got that quintessential, top-of-the-draw Wolf essence (i.e Stalvind's evil, oily vox and clouting wallop of a lead section, inherent, particularly, to Black (Snack) Wings, Evil (Binary) Star, and The Black (Mamba) Flame...Lordy, I think we're in for a thunderous(ly) Earth rockin' heavy metal treat coming up soon in March! (The new Smoulder single rocks mightily as well, might I add...the vocalist, her drawl has gotten that much more ethereal and epically winsome!)...

I'd give a rib - any which one - to see Wolf live...even if I risk waking to a woebegone and/or troublesome Lilith at my bedside!

p.s. Love Dungeon dude's Cannibal corpse pizza analogy, in regards to the twisted cover (haha, it's so cryptic and weird, I didn't realize what it represented/depicted at all, until he so astutely brought it up!

P.P.S. (Trivia) Did you know that Mindless Sinner's latest intensely sounds Wolf-ish - both band and adjective root, mind...

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:51 am 

New song! I like this a lot. Very classic Niklas riffing (reminds me a bit of Mr. Twisted), it will do very nicely!

Vic's Dungeon:

The Best of 2017

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:59 pm 

Why doesn't he just change the name of the band to "Stålvind" already?

I'm a firm believer there's value in a band being a unit. Sure some band members will always get replaced, but changing the whole band again and again? Nothing good has ever come out of that.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:45 pm 

He didn't fire the two members that left though, they left on their own to do their own thing.And of course Simon is still there.

Vic's Dungeon:

The Best of 2017

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:14 pm 

That was a killer tune. I'm sure this will be a hell of a lot of fun.

Reply to topic