Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OfIceAndMovement
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:37 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Isvind/2378

I've heard that their drummer is transgender. I have no idea if that's referring to the drummer who's been with them since 2003 (Slääbrääch, or Mads Guldbekkhei) or some previous session musician for live acts, but can anyone in the known confirm or deny this? I suppose it doesn't really matter in the long run, but that's definitely one of the more odd rumours I've heard about a band, especially one as relatively obscure as Isvind.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:40 am 

What does this even matter? If you like the band, enjoy them. If you don't, don't. Trying to start gossip about something like this is absurd.

OfIceAndMovement
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:16 pm 

Bingewolf wrote:
What does this even matter? If you like the band, enjoy them. If you don't, don't. Trying to start gossip about something like this is absurd.

Why the hostility? At what point did I say I would stop listening to them or this would impact my enjoyment, for better or for worse? Isvind is a powerhouse and it's a shame they never got the recognition they deserved. This would be, to my knowledge, the first time this has ever happened in black metal, hence why I find this noteworthy. I don't post often, but I lurk, and I have seen far more inane 'gossip' (as you phrase it) being discussed, so I think this is about par for the course.

I think you have some preconceived notions about this particular topic, and I understand that because it a charged environment these days, but you have completely misread me.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:16 am 

It's not the first time. Absu's guitarrist Vis Crom came out as a transgender last year. He was fired from the band. Or perhaps you're not counting absu as a black metal band.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:58 am 

Bingewolf wrote:

Wow, I thought I was on Twitter for a moment.

OfIceAndMovement
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:50 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
It's not the first time. Absu's guitarrist Vis Crom came out as a transgender last year. He was fired from the band. Or perhaps you're not counting absu as a black metal band.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that! As for Absu being black metal, some albums more than others for sure - I find blackened thrash more of an accurate term for them. Not my thing, but they've done a lot for the USBM scene regardless.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:56 pm 

Not only are all their members trans, but if you play the last song on their latest album backwards after slowing it down by 25 bpm and taking a hit of acid you can hear their manifesto about how they want everybody becomes trans or gay so that people will stop going to heaven after they die. Source: my mom.

I've decided this is the only kind of collection in the world that matters.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:15 pm 

blackmantram wrote:

I was not aware of this. Thanks for the comment.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:38 am 

blackmantram wrote:

Yes, she was fired from the band. McGovern released a garbled statement about it that didn't actually seem to address anything.

metalMT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:31 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
blackmantram wrote:

Yes, she was fired from the band. McGovern released a garbled statement about it that didn't actually seem to address anything.

SJW much?

BurdenEradication
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:01 pm 

I don't know anything about Isvind other than their vocalist is not too tall, but in regards to VIS CROM........... Do tell- how ancient mythology and occultism coincides with modern phenomena like gender status and trans issues etc. I am trying to view this from an as-Absu-as-possible perspective. Not from a 2019 metal fan aware of social inequalities etc. To keep Vis Crom in the band after making that personal/anatomical transformation would add a distracting element to the band whether intentional or not. I am not knocking MM here. I met her when she was a him. Solid person, great musician and performer. But this seems to be an organic transpiring. Maybe not how the band would have wanted it to go down, but the mutuality of the parting is nobody's business. I have my doubts he was happy to make the decision- however, it just doesn't fit with Absu. The focus of Absu remains what it has always been- ancient mythological and occult. And, ultimately, McGovern is the McGovernor of the band and what he says is sacred rule.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:19 pm 

BurdenEradication wrote:
I don't know anything about Isvind other than their vocalist is not too tall, but in regards to VIS CROM........... Do tell- how ancient mythology and occultism coincides with modern phenomena like gender status and trans issues etc. I am trying to view this from an as-Absu-as-possible perspective. Not from a 2019 metal fan aware of social inequalities etc. To keep Vis Crom in the band after making that personal/anatomical transformation would add a distracting element to the band whether intentional or not. I am not knocking MM here. I met her when she was a him. Solid person, great musician and performer. But this seems to be an organic transpiring. Maybe not how the band would have wanted it to go down, but the mutuality of the parting is nobody's business. I have my doubts he was happy to make the decision- however, it just doesn't fit with Absu. The focus of Absu remains what it has always been- ancient mythological and occult. And, ultimately, McGovern is the McGovernor of the band and what he says is sacred rule.

Distracting? The only thing that matters is how capable one is of performing the music in question, and I don't see how one's gender identity would take away from that in terms of either technical skill or viewer impact. In any event, most occultism is founded on being true to one's own spirit alone, so I don't think she performed anything against the ethos of the band, if that's how you want to view it. It's true that Proscriptor has final say as band leader, but if that really is the case it seems a waste that a skilled musician was lost for reasons that have no impact on the music.
In the end- in life- aren't we all sort of wearing corpse-paint in front of a crowd of strangers? Or is that the most pathetic metal-themed analogy ever uttered? I cannot tell, but I feel a bit ashamed now.

NEW Valcove album: https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:25 pm 

metalMT wrote:
SJW much?

If you think using people's preferred pronouns makes you a SJW, keep that shit to yourself. We don't want it here.

Actually, why is this thread even open? Even if Isvind's drummer were trans, this forum is clearly not the appropriate place to discuss this in a respectful manner, based on the comments above with misgendering, being called an SJW for trying to correct said misgendering, and trying to claim that being trans is enough of a distraction that kicking somebody out of a band over it is justifiable. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Metantoine
Big Beautiful Famgot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:56 pm 

Being a transwoman or transman isn't weird and if you think so, you're a trashperson.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Halberd

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.