Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:21 pm 

I've recently started following on Twitter several metalheads who use that platform to post what they're listening to, and several of them do a weekly recap of what they've been listening to, and although 80% or 90% is metal, there's always room for records of various genres, be it prog rock, hip hop, IDM, soul, art pop etc etc. And I've realised that it's something I've also been doing for the last few years, the more I've been involved in getting to know as much as possible about metal music has also increased my curiosity and enjoyment of other musical genres, it's always metal that I give priority to but I feel that the more I delve into metal the greater my capacity to understand and enjoy other styles of music. Besides, in many occasions it has been thanks to metal that I have been introduced to other genres by proximity, such as ambient, folk, hardcore punk, etc. And I think this is due to the adaptive capacity of the genre to adapt to so many different kinds of sounds.

And this is something that I've also noticed in the metal musicians themselves, I recently did a marathon of Amoeba's "Whats in my bag" and the truth is that it was usually the metalheads who had the most varied picks in terms of styles of music.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it's more of a metalhead thing or do you think that interest in any particular genre of music is going to lead you down the same path? Maybe I'm being ignorant about other musical communities but I thought it was an interesting topic to bring up.

Ball Cupper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:54 pm 

Yeah, I think it's less of a metal thing, and more that if you're the kind of person who really gets into *any* music, then you're naturally gonna be exposed to more stuff in general outside of what you'd normally listen to.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:28 pm 

I don't think so. Metalheads only listen to metal and metal adjacent styles.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:35 pm 

Ball Cupper wrote:
Yeah, I think it's less of a metal thing, and more that if you're the kind of person who really gets into *any* music, then you're naturally gonna be exposed to more stuff in general outside of what you'd normally listen to.

This. I think anyone counting themselves as a music enthusiast is going to be more open minded, but I know lots of more casual metal listeners who only listen to a handful of bands like Metallica.

Hecatomb867
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:18 pm 

Nope. As long as Black Metal fans exist to drag down the average.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:20 pm 

I think it's just a lot of musically open minded folks also like metal, rather than the other way around.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:21 pm 

I think most of the time, yes.

Although sometimes you run into a metalhead has hasn't bought an album since Metallica S/T.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:16 pm 

Forever Underground wrote:
although 80% or 90% is metal

For me it's more like 30% of the material I listen to, but I consider myself a metalhead as I tend to rate metal higher and it gets more spins. Two thirds of the remainder is split between other rock & punk, so that leaves me about 23% for more open-minded variety - but there I mostly go for experimental/industrial/dark ambient/noise, hip hop, pop & vocal jazz. That still leaves plenty of genre umbrellas I avoid entirely apart from a few songs or 1-2 artists.

Another way of viewing it is that I basically only listen to music that's either bubbly/energetic or moody/dark/abrasive. Whereas people who are my opposite may not listen to metal, but still be open minded enough to hear all of the lovey-dovey jangly hand-clapping shit and relaxing/mellow/soft (or nettlesome in the case of classical) music that I can't stand. So there's more music out there that could fit their taste versus mine.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:45 pm 

Hecatomb867 wrote:

This is the smartest and most accurate comment ever left on this board, shut 'er down.

Ghost of Christmas Last
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:41 am 

There are always exceptions, who also can be quite vocal, but those tell us little about the true state of affairs. In a place such as this, I think it is a bit misleading to highlight a positive observation (on Twitter etc.) from the get-go. If anything, in my opinion it is much better to start sceptical and work our way through, disproving the claim.

My personal, if safe, guess would be that metalheads aren't significantly more or less open-minded than everyone else, whereas the real answer probably lies somewhere close to this point on the spectrum. Metal is so diverse that omitting to count all its variations that we enjoy would be a mistake, even if we miss out on soul and funk in the process, because at the end of the day there is only so much time in the day.

Aooga
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:02 am 

It's been my experience (at least from my younger years) that the only thing metalheads can't stand are other metalheads.

You like *insert modern mainstream artist here*?
Average metalhead: "That's cool. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Whatever floats your boat etc. etc.".

You like Band A instead of Band B or fail to validate my unquestionably superior tastes?
Average metalhead: "Go die in a fire you Posernaut!"

It get's better as you get older.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:07 am 

In short: NO.

In longer version: Nah.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:28 am 

Might be a simple tolerance issue. If you can listen to (and enjoy) quite extreme things, it's easier to enjoy less extreme things than it is to move in the opposite direction, if that makes any sense.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:10 am 

The modern wide palate metalhead is basically just a side effect of the modern internet music dweeb diet. Maybe the fact the genre is inherently quite underground it means a high portion of listeners are conditioned into deep diving, but really the broadness of any internet era music fan is going to be just as extreme, if not moreso due to the glut of mellower and poppier styles which will out number the range of noisy, textural or punky stuff your average metalloid is also into these days.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:22 am 

I don't think so.

Based on my own listening habits, I sure can tolerate lots of stuff, and even enjoy a decent portion of it, yet it's a very rare occasion I'd consciously choose to listen to those other genres that I generally don't mind hearing (and they'd still be metal-adjacent most of the time). So in the end metal is like 90-95% of what I choose to listen to - not exactly a display of musical open-mindedness.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:33 am 

I usually just describe my musical taste as "a lot of things that depend on my mood" because it is accurate. The vast majority of the events I go to are metal shows, but my financial resources are finite and I don't have nearly enough time to go to everything that I want. I absolutely judge other metal fans who refuse to listen to anything outside of that sphere - even if they do and don't enjoy it, at least they TRIED.

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:21 am 

No way. I know metalheads who are even semi-succesful musicians and if I were to talk to them about rock music for example, from the 70s or 80s, they know nothing about it. For example, some guy told me how he got into Katatonia and I told him how from their third album they got a more of a rock sound influenced by The Cure and I don't think he had a clue about what I meant with that. He only knew about their last couple of records.

I know also about a lot of guys who are like 'I only listen to black metal up until 1997 and after that everything is shit'. Things like that.

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:37 am 

Samoroth wrote:
No way. I know metalheads who are even semi-succesful musicians and if I were to talk to them about rock music for example, from the 70s or 80s, they know nothing about it. For example, some guy told me how he got into Katatonia and I told him how from their third album they got a more of a rock sound influenced by The Cure and I don't think he had a clue about what I meant with that. He only knew about their last couple of records.

I know also about a lot of guys who are like 'I only listen to black metal up until 1997 and after that everything is shit'. Things like that.

If we're just doing anecdotal, I also know plenty of metalheads who are musicians of varying levels of success and most of them are at least passing familiar with rock going back to the 1970s. I'm more skeptical of claims that metalheads are super open minded about rap and pop because that hasn't been my experience, but plenty of dudes are into rock and punk.
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:57 am 

I've recently started following on Twitter several metalheads who use that platform to post what they're listening to, and several of them do a weekly recap of what they've been listening to, and although 80% or 90% is metal, there's always room for records of various genres, be it prog rock, hip hop, IDM, soul, art pop etc etc. And I've realised that it's something I've also been doing for the last few years, the more I've been involved in getting to know as much as possible about metal music has also increased my curiosity and enjoyment of other musical genres, it's always metal that I give priority to but I feel that the more I delve into metal the greater my capacity to understand and enjoy other styles of music. Besides, in many occasions it has been thanks to metal that I have been introduced to other genres by proximity, such as ambient, folk, hardcore punk, etc. And I think this is due to the adaptive capacity of the genre to adapt to so many different kinds of sounds.

This is something that I have observed as well, but among a particular segment of our community that is very scholarly, passionate, dedicated to music. Metalheads who are truly music aficionados, will tend to demonstrate these traits that you describe, and will show a great interest not only for metal and most (if not all) it's subgenres, but for music in general. Metal-Archives forums also attracts this kind of metalhead, which can in turn create bias in our perceptions and make us think that most metalheads are like that.

Truth is that there are many different kind of metalheads, and yes there are cultured, music aficionado metalheads, but there are also boneheads who have not listened to any new thrash metal album since Vulgar Display of Power, and who listen to metal because it's supposedly manly and tough, and these guys tend to make fun of pop music for being "gay" or "effeminate".

Still, I think that as a community, we tend to be more open-minded, and I've also met countless metalheads who know a great deal not only about metal, but about music in general. And this open-mindedness is something I've observed more from metalheads then any other music community.

And this is something that I've also noticed in the metal musicians themselves, I recently did a marathon of Amoeba's "Whats in my bag" and the truth is that it was usually the metalheads who had the most varied picks in terms of styles of music.

I've watched the What's In My Bag series, and came to the same conclusion as you. Metal musicians participating in this often have the most interesting episodes because they listen to music from all over the world and across many many many subgenres of music. The episodes with Blood Incantation, Neige (from Alcest) and Baroness were among my favorite, because there was such a wide range of genres covered.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it's more of a metalhead thing or do you think that interest in any particular genre of music is going to lead you down the same path? Maybe I'm being ignorant about other musical communities but I thought it was an interesting topic to bring up.

I think that people who really love music, be it metalheads or others, will eventually lead people down the same path. I think it's also more common within musical communities that are outside of the mainstream. If you love metal, and not just one or two subgenres, you're probably someone who likes unconventionnal music, stuff that pushes the boundaries, music for every mood, every energy, etc., chances are that you will love a lot of other music as well. People who are by fans of jazz and electronic music usually are that way as well.

Still, I think that, as a whole we tend to be more open-minded, even if there are boneheads in our community, as it is the case with every community.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:16 pm 

I think if you're a fan of music that is outside the mainstream (pop, trap etc) you tend to be more exposed and give other genres a chance I think, since been a fan of a genre like metal involves some work and searching to find music, its not something you're going to hear on the radio, or popular Spotify playlists or tiktok videos.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:12 pm 

The cliché metalhead to me is like, "I don't only listen to metal I also like Frank Sinatra, Wu-Tang clan and Mongolian Throat singing".
Not only because they actually listen to these other kinds of music but because they also for some reason feel super defensive about listening to metal.

As a person with a broad taste, I am part of several scenes and the only people I regularly see at shows of very different artists are people who come from a metalhead background. Although sometimes old school punks show up too.

I think there are a couple reasons, first of all metal is one of the first "underground" or "better" music genres people stumble upon when they are younger. Merzbow is great and all but if you are a 15 year old in 2004 you are not going to find out about him just like that.
The other factor is that metal prepares and trains the mind for a more broad perspective on music. I don't just mean this in an extreme music requires a trained ear kind of way. A lot of people don't understand why one would listen to music from a very different and/or obscure part of the world. However in the metal scene you can brag about listening to black metal from Kyrgyzstan.
Metal also offers a surface level introduction to a lot of other forms of music in one way or another. There are pipelines not only back to hard and blues rock but also to folk music and electronica.

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:34 pm 

My anecdotal experience is that the deeper one gets into metal (say...folks who are members on a website like EM lol) the more likely it is they enjoy other genres too.
I like a lot of other genres. I'll listen to some of the lo-fi electronic stuff or dungeon synth while I work or study, I grew up on oldies so the Everly Brothers will always be a soft spot, obviously some classical, a little punk, some folk etc. That said, I do listen to metal easily 95% of the time.

Bahana
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:02 pm 

When I was in my teens, and 20s, I was less open-minded. I would never have thought about playing Ambient music in the car as a teen. These days, there are times when I'm not in a Metal mood. I've always been an old-style Rock fan as well. Rock has as many subgenres as Metal and can provide a lot of diversity.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:00 pm 

In the punk world, it used to be a Johnny Cash record. You'd flip through their record collection, and the only thing they owned was punk and one Cash record. I don't doubt the sincerity, but it was funny that they thought they were musically curious because of it.

I've never really understood it. I'm a dry sponge. I'm always soaking up sound. I'm a lover of sound. I don't really care what form it takes. I'm endlessly curious, and that curiosity grows, not dwindles. It's one of those character traits that I really, REALLY value in a person. I appreciate curiosity. Music...the world...everything...endlessly fascinating. That old saying, "only boring people get bored" is really something. The only thing I'm not curious about is people who aren't curious.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:28 pm 

It depends. There is something about the experience of listening to metal (particularly the more extreme kinds) that prepares you for all kinds of angular, off-putting stuff from any other genre. For example, I can listen to Art Bears, or Can, or Coltrane ("Ascension"-era) because "Left Hand Path" and "A Blaze in the Northern Sky" have already blown my mind open to intense and experimental sounds.

I have noticed that many metalheads tend to explore non-metal genres in a 'back to front' way. For example, there used to be lots of metalheads who got into hip-hop through abstract stuff like Company Flow and Dalek, but who hadn't checked out foundational stuff like A Tribe Called Quest and Cypress Hill.

Many metalheads also have a blindspot regarding anything 'commercial'. They sometimes subscribe to an implicit assumption that 'commercial = bad'. This leads to all sorts of ill-informed statements like "Beyonce is mainstream crap" without any attempt to engage with the music in more detail. I have found pop music to be as interesting and engaging as more underground genres.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:44 pm 

13-18 years old no,only metal (elitism and fuck all other music)
18-25 years old metal and new metal,alternative and grunge
25-35 years old discover of prog and 60’70 great bands
35 40 years old all music except the shit of rap

70 years old return to roots only heavy metal

90 years old discover of glam(luckily you are near to death to appreciate Poison)

I’m ironic…

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:51 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:
13-18 years old no,only metal (elitism and fuck all other music)
18-25 years old metal and new metal,alternative and grunge
25-35 years old discover of prog and 60’70 great bands
35 40 years old all music except the shit of rap

70 years old return to roots only heavy metal

90 years old discover of glam(luckily you are near to death to appreciate Poison)

I’m ironic…

I know you wrote this in jest but that age breakdown (up to 35-40 years old anyway) pretty much describes my own trajectory when it comes to taste in music. The only difference is that I do like some rap although only Golden Age hip hop really appeals to me. At some point, I really want to spend some time trying to find modern groups as good as Public Enemy or The Roots. I’m sure they’re out there but I just haven’t found them yet.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:22 pm 

Of course it also depends on what you want from music - I listen to tons of metal but never identified as a metal head, I just want music that moves me and makes me feel things, genres never mattered to me. At 13 I was listening to Entombed and Simon & Garfunkel back to back and it never struck me as jarring and it still doesn't. I like Miles Davis and Napalm Death and Kraftwerk and Lady Gaga equally and for the same reason: it pleases my ears.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:45 pm 

Twenty years ago, I'd easily and quickly have answered "yes". But my current view is a complete 180 of that.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:03 pm 

Hecatomb867 wrote:

As a black metal fan, I can definitely agree that a lot of the people there are generally more close-minded outside of side genres like dungeon synth. It's generally more of a case-by-case basis, but there are plenty of metalheads who are more open to non-metal genres like me.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:21 pm 

I have gotten that way as I have grown older. I no longer feel the need to fight for the honor of the tribe against wimps, posers, and other assorted assholes. Metal is still my far my go to genre but I can rock on glam metal bands I would have denounced back in the 80's and 90's. And I listen to more country and bluegrass these days as well. Though in our area the classics of 70's hard rock were never looked down on even as we went deep into thrash. Zep always ruled.

ThrashTilDeath530
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:50 pm 

I've noticed that the level of disdain people have for music outside of their taste directly correlates with how much of their personality is just "I like x genre of music".

MoonlitKnight
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:02 pm 

As a lot of people have said in this thread in one way or another, it's a matter of a lot of metalheads being music nerds, and when you're a music nerd it's pretty unlikely you're going to listen to one genre only, even if it's a wide-ranging one like metal.
Metal also offers a lot of "gateways" to other genres (for instance people getting into jazz/fusion because of tech death and prog metal bands being influenced by it, or into ambient because a lot of black metal artists dabbled in it, etc)

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:37 pm 

Just to add to what I said before, I think there is a wide-range of different types of people who are into metal. It's a boring, super obvious statement, yes, but still kind of necessary to point out.

The reason why I'm saying this is that, I do observe on a regular basis that a lot of metalheads are very open-minded, but these metalheadds often are music nerds, like I and others have pointed out. And since I actively try to engage with this kind of people while avoiding close-minded boneheads, it may cause some kind of bias in my perceptions.

It's usually when I got to metal shows, where I have zero control over who is going to be there, that I realize that there are still a bunch of edgy kids, elitists, old guys who have not listened to anything new in 30 years, etc. in the metal scene. I remember going to the Atheist/Suffocation tour last year, and while we were waiting outside of the venue, there was a pop artist (or band, I don't remember) playing on an outdoor stage not too far from the venue (the venue is near La Place-des-arts in Montreal), and some metalheads were whining about "the shitty music" and being all snarky and pretentious. I'm not really used to this kind of behavior anymore because I actively avoid douchebags who do that, but it doesn't mean that these people don't exist.

All things considered (yes, I've considered ALL THINGS), I still think that as a whole we tend to be a more open-minded community, namely by the fact that metal is a musical genre that requires a lot of digging around and exploration to really get into it, and that people who are willing to do this kind of exploration are, by essence, usually more curious and open-minded.

Metal (and it's subgenres) being a genre that breaks conventions, pushes boundaries, offers a wide variety of production values, vocal styles, styles of speed riffing, tempo, energy, etc., also tends to speak to people who are more adventurous, curious and open-minded in the way they approach art.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:57 pm 

Hecatomb867 wrote:

:lol:

/thread

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:08 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
music nerds

This is why. Everyone who is posting here is a music nerd. We like music. Of many different kinds. Not the same kind though. Many here say they like dungeon synth and hip-hop. I absolutely despise those genres! But I am open minded when it comes to music. Like it baffles me how there can be people who don't like Meat Loaf. Or Verdi's operas.

ManAtArms
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:28 am 

This reminds me of Metalheads who are so tribal that they only search inside the confines of the genre for new music - "I'm burned out at Black Metal at the moment, please recommend me some Folk-Metal or Shoegaze-Black Metal or Psychedelic Metal with no distorted guitars!"

My journey to new music started with my older cousin who had Purple-, Sabbath- and Heep-stuff. This opened the door for me to all things 60s/70s...

SlipKnoT_SOAD
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:36 am 

my music taste goes from emo to brutal death metal, but always on 'rock music spectre' so am i close-minded? or even metalhead?

don't care really

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:09 am 

From personal experience, no not really. And no, hard rock and other rock subgenres obviously don't count

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:40 am 

I've found that with most metalheads (myself included), they're usually super close minded for the first few months/years after discovering metal for the first time. Luckily it often dies off after that, but sometimes it doesn't.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next