Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:39 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
I agree with Abominatrix in regards to the harsh vocals, which is a shame because they used to be pretty good. Ivar still has a pretty good bellow, but Grutle's harsh vocals have gotten pretty weak. Fortunately for me, they aren't so bad that they detract from the music. I disagree about the cleans, though. I absolutely love Enslaved's use of clean vocals.

Grutle's howl was so crazed on the early Enslaved stuff; i"m not surprised at all that he can't perform like that anymore. However he seems to have been forced to replace it with a kind of dry, hacky sound that's not very pleasant and occasionally a bit comical.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:46 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
PvtNinjer wrote:
I agree with Abominatrix in regards to the harsh vocals, which is a shame because they used to be pretty good. Ivar still has a pretty good bellow, but Grutle's harsh vocals have gotten pretty weak. Fortunately for me, they aren't so bad that they detract from the music. I disagree about the cleans, though. I absolutely love Enslaved's use of clean vocals.

Grutle's howl was so crazed on the early Enslaved stuff; i"m not surprised at all that he can't perform like that anymore. However he seems to have been forced to replace it with a kind of dry, hacky sound that's not very pleasant and occasionally a bit comical.

His growls definitely sounded a bit weaker on Riitiir, and I think that may be since they were mixed more in the front and less reverbed/processed/quiet (at least it sounded that way to me) than they were on Axioma, Vertebrae, etc.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:59 am 

Kjellson's vocals been deteriorating for a long time, and they went to the gutter after Ruun, in my opinion, though they improved somewhat with the latest album. He performs vocals quite well live, though. I have no idea why the recordings portray this dry, powerless throat-clearing noise, because the man can scream.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:32 pm 

I wouldn’t say his voice is deteriorating. It sounds to me more like he’s adapting to there more laid back approach, in a similar way to how Vorph sounds nowadays in comparison to earlier Samael.
I mean the last few albums would sound a little odd if he was still employing the same viciousness of the early material. Sounds fine to me live too.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:33 am 

That's true, his older, more drawn out and aggressive style would be out of place on the new albums. However, I feel that his voice has lost power and expressiveness from Isa and Ruun as well, even though those albums have less intense moments aplenty.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:21 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
PvtNinjer wrote:

Absolutely! I find I can't really focus on the vocals much, but I love newer Enslaved for their lush sound and dreamy melodicism. Like Ilwhyan said, though, he still does a great job live. Actually they kill live, in general. I've seen em on the last two tours, of course I will not miss the inevitable third. I could use a new Enslaved shirt anyway! I better stop before the inner fan boy comes out, haha.

I think they should do more of the deeper growls (I think Ivar does them, well he seems to do them live at least), and let Grutle just run wild on bass.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:41 pm 

Recordng has begun. From their Facebook:

Quote:
“As always, it is hard to formulate an exact direction ENSLAVED is or is not heading in with the new album. This duality is part of the essence of the band: The ability to maintain consistency and a strong identity and, at the same time, surprise both the oldest fans and even ourselves with new musical directions. The new material is darker and rawer, more aggressive and direct, yet continues the exploration deeper into progressive, softer, and more melodic territories with at times complex song structures, combined with unusually immediate (for ENSLAVED, at least) elements. The high level of energy in the songs reflects both an inspired and an ever-harder working band that keeps pushing their own and their associated genres’ limits. ”

Main recordings for the as-yet-untitled new album are taking place at Duper and Solslottet Studios in Bergen, Norway with additional recordings done at Conclave & Earshot Studios (presided over by ENSLAVED members Larsen and Ice Dale), and Ivar Bjørnson’s Peersonal Sound Studios.

Additional experimentation and sonic exploration will be conducted deep in the woods of Valevåg south of Bergen where the band took a mobile studio to record the infamous “Thorn” 7” single in 2012.

The new album is being produced by band members Ivar Bjørnson, Grutle Kjellson & Herbrand Larsen together with Iver Sandøy. Mixing will be done by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios in Örebro, Sweden.

Artwork will be illustrated by long-time collaborating artist and “sixth ENSLAVED member” Truls Espedal, who has painted all seven album covers since 2001’s Monumension.

Valenten
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:36 am 

This is a good news ! I enjoyed RIITIR, even though I'd love to see them incorporating a bit more extreme sounds and less clean vocals.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:29 am 

"New material is darker and rawer, more aggressive and direct".

This sounds great to me, because I am not a great fan of this post-bm viking era but I truly loved Axioma Ethica Odini, which was slightly rawer, faster and darker. So perhaps they could surprise me once again. :hyper:

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:31 am 

Quote:
The new material is darker and rawer, more aggressive and direct, yet continues the exploration deeper into progressive, softer, and more melodic territories with at times complex song structures, combined with unusually immediate (for ENSLAVED, at least) elements.

Sounds fucking great in theory !

But I really want to hear something before I get too excited.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:14 am 

They will be more aggressive AND softer and more prog. That means they'll probably have a couple of heavier numbers and the rest will go logically continuing the sound of the last albums. I think they missed the mark and their fixation on the 70's prog element made them lost their truly valuable thing; the blackened edge they showed in a way or another until Ruun. Vertebrae was the breaking point and they haven't recovered from it.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:05 pm 

I listened to Maurdraum yesterday, while out for a walk. I wish they'd go back to this thrashy, death metal inspired stuff, but we all know that will never happen! :lol: I'd be happy if they threw even just a nod towards that stuff on the new album.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:26 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
They will be more aggressive AND softer and more prog. That means they'll probably have a couple of heavier numbers and the rest will go logically continuing the sound of the last albums. I think they missed the mark and their fixation on the 70's prog element made them lost their truly valuable thing; the blackened edge they showed in a way or another until Ruun. Vertebrae was the breaking point and they haven't recovered from it.

Whats your opinion about Axioma Ethica Odini? because its rather different.

And what about Thorn EP? Is it true that is a return to their old style?

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:16 am 

At first I thought AEO was a step in the right direction but the replay value of the album to me is virtually 0. RIITIR was mediocre like Vertebrae was and erased the few nods Axioma had to the not so distant past. I haven't heard the Thorn EP.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:21 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
At first I thought AEO was a step in the right direction but the replay value of the album to me is virtually 0. RIITIR was mediocre like Vertebrae was and erased the few nods Axioma had to the not so distant past. I haven't heard the Thorn EP.

Whaaat? Man, that's just crazy to me. I guess there's no accounting for taste, but I thought RIITIIR built on AEO brilliantly, was infinitely more memorable and accessible while not resorting to pop song pandering. It's been a while since I've given RIITIIR a listen but I seem to remember quite a few nods to their past, from Frost influenced all the way up to the beginning of their prog era with Isa and Ruun styled riffing (Roots of the Mountain and the title track leap out in particular). I tend to agree with you about AEO, though. It's probably my least listened to album by them. The title track was great, but too long and repetitive. The ambient track was awesome, I've always loved Enslaved's foray into electronics. The final two tracks are pretty great, with memorable leads and riffs, but over all I think that album is definitely their most mediocre. I do remember thinking the songs sounded pretty great live when I saw them on the supporting tour. Vertabrae, while definitely soft, was at least an interesting experiment of sounds for them, and is an album I revisit more than some of their others. I know it's not exactly a popular opinion, but I think it's a pretty solid release.

I'm a fanboy, though. :lol: So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:39 am 

I get it. I've never thought of Enslaved as such incredible band as a whole but as a normal band that have release some few great albums. I, for instance, think they best era is Eld-Mardraum. I don't worship Frost and the debut as many do and everything post Mardraum has been just meh sans some few songs here and there.

It's also a shame that Gruttle's vocals have deteriorated as much; his grim vocals were one of the best of the genre. And please, someone needs to make Herbrand to shut up.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:15 pm 

I'm a fan of the Dirge Rep period. Blodhemn to Below The Lights is where it’s at for me, but I love all periods of Enslaved. Vertebrae is the only one I can't really get into.
Blodhemn is without a doubt the most overlooked/underappreciated album. Enslaved at their most high-speed and violent is a force to be reckoned with.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

emperorjvl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:53 am 

shwartzheim wrote:
Blodhemn is without a doubt the most overlooked/underappreciated album. Enslaved at their most high-speed and violent is a force to be reckoned with.

+1

Can't say I'm a fan post Monumension. BTL and Isa were OK, but I've found that nothing draws me in any of the subsequent albums. Maybe I should give RIITIIR another chance.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:08 pm 

Blodhemn is definitely a gem. Personally, I prefer the heavier parts of Maurdraum when it comes to Enslaved's vicious side.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:10 pm 

Man, Eit Auga Til Mimir is probably one of the greatest black metal songs ever.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:19 pm 

As is Ansuz Astral. My favourite Abyss production on that album too.

rexxz wrote:

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:57 pm 

Yeah, Ansuz Astral is amazing. Love the wailing at the beginning!

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:47 am 

If someone is still looking for the Enslaved - The Sleeping Gods MLP, I have it for sale against some decent offer (small seamsplit due to bad packaging from Scion back then)

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:19 pm 

I was at a pizza joint in NYC in 2011 and they had dozens of copies of The Sleeping Gods just scattered around from a Scion promotion. I definitely should have grabbed more than one :(

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:46 pm 

As a gushing Enslaved fanboy this is wicked news, RIITIIR had the same effect that Below the Lights did on me, I was disappointed at first but the more I listened the more brilliant it became and now I love it. As for someone mentioning the Thorns EP that was unbelievable.. almost made me think of Strid or something, lofi and depressive and very out of character for Enslaved but such an awesome release.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:27 pm 

I'm really looking forward to this album, whatever it's like. I take their dedication to improvement very seriously, and in the future they will probably become one of my favorite bands. I haven't spent enough time with their discography to say for sure, but one day I will own them all.

I totally don't mind their prog-soft stuff. It's more like the development of a well-rounded individual than a failing to meet a previous standard. I'm fine with drastic variation within a band's career since I can't abide arrested development in art. By all means make what art comes naturally. Besides, since they're still a touring band, it makes sense that they'd change their style somewhat to suit their enjoyment in playing live. I doubt this is immaterial to their musical choices.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:50 pm 

From their Facebook:

Quote:
“It’s more aggressive,” adds album co-producer Iver Sandøy about the new material, “balancing the progressive feel of the previous few albums with a more evident nod to the band’s darker history.”

I'm sure they've made similar claims for the past 5 albums, but this still has me very excited :hyper:

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:24 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
From their Facebook:
Quote:
“It’s more aggressive,” adds album co-producer Iver Sandøy about the new material, “balancing the progressive feel of the previous few albums with a more evident nod to the band’s darker history.”

I'm sure they've made similar claims for the past 5 albums, but this still has me very excited :hyper:

Me too! I like ALL Enslaved albums!

Last edited by BasqueStorm on Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:01 am 

Artwork, track listing revealed

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:17 am 

I really really like that. I hope it's going to be a warmer album like Vertebrae. Certainly seems so when going from that great album art. Track names are also good.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:36 am 

Hope not, Vertebrae is the one Enslaved album I can't get into. Artwork is cool though, and I like that the tracks are going to be long.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:40 am 

bronxeel wrote:

Thanks!
http://bravewords.com/news/enslaved-in-times-album-artwork-tracklisting-revealed-release-date-confirmed

Quote:
In Times tracklisting:
"Thurisaz Dreaming"
"Building With Fire"
"One Thousand Years Of Rain"
"Nauthir Bleeding"
"In Times"
"Daylight"

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:11 pm 

Quote:
"One Thousand Years Of Rain"

Been listening the new Primordial? :)

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:27 pm 

It's a bit worrying that it's 6 tracks and almost an hour long. The best Enslaved songs are generally 5-6 minutes and I'm scared these are all going to try to be too epic instead of nice digestible packages.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:07 pm 

Nice artwork! I really liked the long tracks like Roots of the Mountain on RITTIR so I don't mind that they're doing them again.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 pm 

This is high on my list of anticipation for next year for sure. Axioma is by my favorite of theirs and I really dug RITTIR as well so anything along thoes lines is good with me.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:05 pm 

Since it wasn't enough for Enslaved to annouce their new album, here's their upcoming North American tour! viewtopic.php?f=18&t=108169

Can't wait!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:19 pm 

Yayayayaya! :D

This is great news. I'm really hoping that Enslaved can deliver, RIITIIR may have been their best modern offering and I consider it one of their best albums (of which they are in no short supply). That being said, Enslaved are no stranger to the average, if not enjoyable, album. I'm hoping this new one falls on the RIITIIR end of things instead of the AEO end.

Re: the tour. I guess they are too good for Winnipeg now. :( I've seen em on their last few tours and they always pack the house pretty decently. Sucks I won't get to see em this time around. Seeing YOB would have been pretty neat too.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:29 pm 

Someone just uploaded half of the first track to Youtube which means... you know. The digital distributor sent it out earlier this week and I've been listening to it a lot. I'm gonna hold off on my thoughts since 3 days is not nearly enough to properly digest an Enslaved album.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:34 pm 

I hope they keep the Stonesour-type clean vocals they've been using lately!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next