Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic

Who do you prefer? add comments in the thread.
Iron Maiden 71%  71%  [ 110 ]
Judas Priest 29%  29%  [ 44 ]
Total votes : 154
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:12 am 

It's that classic debate again. I always lean towards Priest because of their mid-to-late 70s output is more my shtick. But when it comes to vanilla heavy metal, I always think Maiden is the better band even if I don't prefer them. I'm interested on opinions about what made them both work so well, and why one is better than the other. Maybe change my views.

God help us, who do you prefer?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:06 am 

I once thought they were comparable, but I do not anymore. Maiden released their first full length album when Priest released their first mediocre one. They differ as much in the musical needs they satisfy as they differ in their lyrics and sound. Maiden are for epic ballad/bard's tale-like escapism while Priest are connected in my mind more with rocking and rolling individualist indulgence and power fantasies. This difference is too strongly reflected in both bands' respective sound, so it's like apples and oranges. Neither do I have a strong preference towards either over the other since they're both top notch bands for me, so I'm passing.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:12 pm 

Not even a debate for me. I only know a few Judas Priest songs and like even less (only some of the big ones like Painkiller and Screaming for Vengeance) whereas I know most of Iron Maiden's discography.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:53 pm 

As much as I love Judas Priest, Iron Maiden are the clear winners. Though their peak eras (Priest's 70s, Maiden's 80s) make for a very, very close competition.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:28 pm 

I love both and find that they've undergone some interesting changes over the course of their histories, but I still prefer Maiden more. Maiden had seven winners in a row and the stuff they made without their iconic singers and their reunion era is more satisfying than what Priest has been doing since 1990. Maiden also seems to have more emotion in their music, whereas Priest hasn't really seemed truly heartfelt since the 70s.

Acidfuzz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:42 pm 

That's a tough call, but I think I'm more of a Priest person. Nowadays, on the other hand, I like Maiden's shit better than Priest's.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:44 pm 

Maiden had a longer string of great albums in a row and I like their style and consistency more, especially how they added layers of complexity and tightness compositionally every album up until Seventh Son. And their new albums are still good too. Priest's highs are as good as Maiden's, but they peaked really early and their new stuff just isn't even in the same league.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:52 pm 

It's tough because they both got shitty at the same time, but Priest had a five album head start. But this is where it turns into a Gretzky versus Lemieux thing where you have to take their overlapping eras into account. Priest was great in the 70s when they were one of the only bands of their kind, but when the 80s rolled around and everybody was doing it, they were very inconsistent whereas Maiden released seven genre defining classics in a row. It's a really tough call, but I think I'm gonna say Maiden overall. It really just depends on what kind of metal you like, because they're both at the head of their classes.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

chugging_pus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:39 pm 

Priest for me. Sad Wings to Stained Class = my favorite run of metal LP's ever.

Iron Maiden did have a more consistent run. I actually did prefer Dianno's vocals but I do understand they needed Bruce Bruce to become metal megaliths.

Those 3 Priest LP's trump all of Maiden's work in my opinion.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:15 pm 

Maiden, no contest. I do love the S-trilogy by Priest and they are one of the gods for sure, but Maiden is just that definitive heavy metal band to me when I think of classic heavy metal. I also think they have more classic albums, even if the two bands' heights were about the same, with masterpieces galore.

Bloody Nine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:54 pm 

When comparing both bands' high points, I would say it's an even draw.

I do think it's fair to say that Priest has more crap. Maiden's worst stuff still tends to be half decent (to my ear, anyway). When Priest does bad, it can be pretty damn bad.

Ancient Sunlight
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:24 pm 

I dislike everything Maiden and nearly everything I've heard described as Maiden-ish. I have no idea why, honest -- I've given them a fair go. Something about the sheer texture of the sound really puts me off. It's one of those irrationalities I hope to get over.
"One of my mottos is: anything has a value if you know what it is. If you can say what the thing is, the value becomes apparent. It may be a very small value. It may be a negative one. I also swear by Gertrude Stein’s wisdom, 'Description is explanation.'"

KosherCosby
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:36 pm 

Never listened to Priest all that much. Or Maiden. Overall I've probably listened to and can remember more Maiden songs, so I guess Maiden it is.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:44 pm 

Out of personal preference it's Maiden for me, but anyone that dismisses Judas Priest after Stained Class is missing a lot of quality and important music. Judas Priest innovated for much longer, and in spite of taking many more risks than Iron Maiden, they managed to retain a higher level of consistency. I don't care how cheesy you find Jugulator; they never resorted to padding songs with four minutes of straight choruses. Even at Priest's least inspired they manage to at least come up different riffs on occasion, compared to Maiden who was pretty content dipping into self-plagiarism even as early as Powerslave.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:02 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
I once thought they were comparable, but I do not anymore. Maiden released their first full length album when Priest released their first mediocre one. They differ as much in the musical needs they satisfy as they differ in their lyrics and sound. Maiden are for epic ballad/bard's tale-like escapism while Priest are connected in my mind more with rocking and rolling individualist indulgence and power fantasies. This difference is too strongly reflected in both bands' respective sound, so it's like apples and oranges. Neither do I have a strong preference towards either over the other since they're both top notch bands for me, so I'm passing.

I was about to write something almost exactly like this.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:12 pm 

Judas Priest was pretty much my first metal band, so I'm more fond of them. Honestly, Maiden took a fair while. I could enjoy a handful of their songs, but I didn't care for many of their full albums. I've come around on some of their albums, but I still feel this way about Number and Powerslave. I'm also not as big on Maiden's guitar playing compared to Tipton and Downing. Their riffs just hit home with me far more. Lastly, I've got a slight preference for Halford over Dickinson. They'd both be top five for me, but I enjoy Halford's spectral wailings slightly more than Dickinson's roar. Harris' bass is more interesting than Hill's, but that's next to nothing compared to what I've previously mentioned. In any case, I enjoy both a great deal.

I've seen threads like these on different sites, and one constant I've noticed is that Maiden always wins by a decent margin. I'm aware that Maiden's more popular as a whole, but I'm referring to metal sites where everyone would be reasonably familiar with both. Why does Maiden consistently grade out as the more appealing? It seems strange to me that it's the same result each and every time.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:16 pm 

On the whole, definitely Maiden. Taking their whole discographies into account, I don't think I'd classify either of them as favorite bands of mine, but Maiden has a more consistent discography, my favorites being NOTB - SIT + BNW. I also like Seventh Son and the D'ianno era. For Priest, I pretty much only care about their first three albums. I will say though, that no Maiden album is as good as Sad Wings of Destiny, IMO.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:17 pm 

StainedClass95 wrote:
Judas Priest was pretty much my first metal band, so I'm more fond of them. Honestly, Maiden took a fair while. I could enjoy a handful of their songs, but I didn't care for many of their full albums. I've come around on some of their albums, but I still feel this way about Number and Powerslave. I'm also not as big on Maiden's guitar playing compared to Tipton and Downing. Their riffs just hit home with me far more. Lastly, I've got a slight preference for Halford over Dickinson. They'd both be top five for me, but I enjoy Halford's spectral wailings slightly more than Dickinson's roar. Harris' bass is more interesting than Hill's, but that's next to nothing compared to what I've previously mentioned. In any case, I enjoy both a great deal.

I've seen threads like these on different sites, and one constant I've noticed is that Maiden always wins by a decent margin. I'm aware that Maiden's more popular as a whole, but I'm referring to metal sites where everyone would be reasonably familiar with both. Why does Maiden consistently grade out as the more appealing? It seems strange to me that it's the same result each and every time.

It's all down to the listener and what they prefer. But here's my thoughts in a list:

Judas Priest - ROB HALFORD = Really diverse singer, with a hell of a range. 5/5
Iron Maiden - BRUCE DICKINSON = Quite diverse, but doesn't have the badass high shrieks 4/5
Judas Priest - GLENN TIPTON = When on fire his solos are fucking masterpieces 5/5
Iron Maiden - ADRIAN SMITH = A guitarist with a rare sense of "feeling" 5/5
Judas Priest - KK DOWNING = Rarely as memorable as Tipton, but still good 4/5
Iron Maiden - DAVE MURRAY = Has some really high points, and sometimes just "bland" 4/5
Judas Priest - IAN HILL = Doesn't need to do much, fits the sound perfectly 3/5
Iron Maiden - STEVE HARRIS = He's the fucking best 5/5
Judas Priest - SCOTT TRAVIS = Actually quite bland, but had killer drum production on Painkiller 4/5
Iron Maiden - NICKO MCBRAIN = He's the fucking best 5/5
Judas Priest - DISCOGRAPHY = Up and down... Up and down... Up and down... Down... Down... 3/5
Iron Maiden - DISCOGRAPHY = Always consistant, even at their worst 4/5
Judas Priest - GENERAL SOUND = When at their best unfuckingstoppable... At their worst tho... 3/5
Iron Maiden - GENERAL SOUND = Has kept a working formula for many years 4/5
Judas Priest - FUN FACTOR = I love their stupid metal metal stuff. But can be super boring too 4/5
Iron Maiden - FUN FACTOR = Wants to be all grown up, but it works 4/5

So yeah, the highs with Priest are often HIGHER than Maidens highs, but Maiden just outdoes them in consistancy.

Performancewise Judas Priest are a clear winner, with super guitarist Glenn Tipton in the front, and Halfords fucking shrieks (when he still did them, that is).

This list is fucking stupid but I don't have anything better to do right now. Hahahah!!!!!!

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:21 pm 

I prefer Maiden. Priest is good but I'm a bigger fan of Maiden. I like IM's song writing and their 80's material is classic. They also have an epic sound. I like that I can put on one of their albums and play it from start to finish without skipping a track.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:07 pm 

maiden. both bands are horribly overrated and neither of them has released anything worthwhile in ages, but maiden's high points were higher than priest's, simple as that. nothing priest put out has the atmosphere, feeling, or just foot-tapability of seventh son. there aren't any priest albums where i'll "lose myself" in listening the way i can with maiden; i spend too much time getting up to skip filler tracks. seriously, even priest's good albums are still 25% filler. downing and tipton are a better duo than murray and smith, but maiden trumps priest in all other aspects.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:22 am 

Always love these kind of topics. :)

As much as I love Priest, they have nothing on Maiden. Maiden has made more good albums and are more consistent overall. Okay, Priest was there first and are maybe more influential, but still. It's about the quality of the music.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:24 am 

Priest a hundred times over. More aggressive, more fun, catchier riffs, (mostly) better choruses, FAR less pretense, especially in the solos and lyrics. Now I have nothing wrong with Maiden (Killers and Powerslave especially kick ass), but man...I just like to fucking rock. I guess maybe I'm biased, but Maiden doesn't offer me as much as far as pure, killer metal goes. Plus Harris's fucking overproduced bass drives me ballistic, always overpowering the damn rhythm guitar. At least in Priest the bass fills the production instead of trying to be friggin independent, not to mention both guitars are clearly heard.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:29 pm 

OK, let's get this out of the way, they're both awesome bands. And I must admit I'm one of those who is getting tired of seeing them compared because outside of the surface aspects (twin guitars, godly singing, etc.) they are doing very different things.

I could break it down a hundred different ways to make my choice and it would always be close but I'm gnna go with what I need and listen to the most. My itunes stats and past history suggest I crave Priest a little more than Maiden.

So Priest for me. But again, both are absolutely awesome.

Also:

Turner wrote:
both bands are horribly overrated

:lol:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:36 pm 

This needs to come out 50/50 or we'll make baby Satan cry.

Acidfuzz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:20 pm 

Maiden's bass is, in fact, somewhat penetrating, especially on some of their earlier records, but it doesn't bother me too much. The riffs are good enough. I've never recognized too much filler on Priest's '80s records, though.

~Guest 247223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:00 pm 

The only album I like from Iron Maiden is their self-titled. From their later stuff I like only some tracks.

Speaking about Judas Priest, there are way more albums that I like: Sad Wings of Destiny, Stained Class, Hell Bent for Leather, Screaming for Vengeance, Defenders of the Faith, Painkiller.

So, I prefer Judas Priest over Iron Maiden.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:48 pm 

I'm not choosing. This is like telling me that you're gonna gouge out one of my eyes, and I get to pick which one. Even if I can still see, I'd much rather have both.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:11 pm 

I've been listening to way more 70s/80s stuff lately but I just can't get into Priest. Obviously they are one of the most important heavy bands in history and paved the way for thousands of bands, but their music is just too simplistic and straightforward for my taste. Maiden is epic and deep, and even after listening hundreds of times you can still find new nuances or meaning in their music. Priest doesn't make bad music by any means, but it's just very surface level.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:15 pm 

It's a hard call.
Maiden is obviously more consistent and a lot more fun and epic... but for some reason Priest just has more of long lasting factor to their sound. I dunno, it really is pretty much even, but I find it easier to turn on Priest when I am bored than turn on Maiden.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:27 pm 

So "my left leg or my right leg" sort of question... I'm going to have to go Maiden. They have more albums that I fully enjoy than Priest. That's the one way I can think of to make an honest choice.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:49 pm 

Iron Maiden is certainly more epic, cinematic and what not. A lot of people are drawn to that, and I understand the appeal, but for me personally it just doesn't resonate with me the way Priest's early hard rock albums do. Or even the late albums (especially Painkiller). They're just grittier, and heavier than Maiden, and for those reasons I'd have to throw my vote for Priest.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:30 pm 

I voted for Judas Priest because their strongest material (Sad Wings, Sin after Sin, Stained Class) means more to me than Iron Maiden's strongest material (s/t, Killers). But that isn't to take anything away from Maiden. Those first two albums with Di'anno are absolutely astonishing. Life-affirming listens every single time.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:29 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I'm not choosing. This is like telling me that you're gonna gouge out one of my eyes, and I get to pick which one. Even if I can still see, I'd much rather have both.

Nailed it. This has been done to death. Both bands are essential and I will not decide on either. I loved Priest first, obviously, because when Unleashed in the East came out, I had not heard of Iron Maiden yet, but both bands were highly instrumental in my love of metal...one no more than the other.

Turner wrote:
both bands are horribly overrated

:roll: Coming from the same person who said that Chaos AD was "what may well be the greatest album of all time."

Like your reviews?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:43 pm 

Just vote for the runner-up then. Compensate the crowd's bias.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:57 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
:roll: Coming from the same person who said that Chaos AD was "what may well be the greatest album of all time."

You've said some odd things yourself, from time to time. No one has perfect taste. Except maybe CrushedRevelation.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:17 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
mjollnir wrote:

You've said some odd things yourself, from time to time. No one has perfect taste. Except maybe CrushedRevelation.

But I'm an elitist so I can get away with it. :p

Like your reviews?

Idolsofchagrin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:41 pm 

I have a really hard time understanding why Priest is as popular as they are.

Don't get me wrong, I like some of their tracks, especially the more well known ones like The Ripper, Hell Bent For Leather, Got Another Thing Coming, Breaking the Law, all of Painkiller is an AMAZING album too....but overall I find a lot of their stuff to be just too "vanilla".

I know the incredible role they played in metal and that they were basically the 2nd metal band to be really big after Sabbath, but there's pretty much never a time these days that I think to myself "damn, I really want to hear Judas Priest!"

Granted, I don't get that way with Maiden these days either because at the moment that just isn't the sound I am into....but that comes after so many years of being a HUGE Maiden fan and at any time I can put on any number of old Maiden albums and still get into them with a way I can't with Priest.

Both bands are shitty now and I haven't liked a Maiden output since Brave New World, but almost all of their albums up to that point are epic.

Priest is a band who I greatly respect but don't really like all that much, which isn't to say I don't like them AT ALL...just not all that much.

However, part of that may be that I actually haven't listened almost at all to some of their supposed greatest outputs.

I have never really listened to and do not own the following classic Priest albums (shame me if you will lol): Sin After Sin, Stained Class, Killing Machine, Point of Entry, Turbo,Rocka Rolla (I've heard most songs on Rocka Rolla but don't own it) and Defenders of the Faith.

I DO own and have listened extensively to: Painkiller, Jugulator, Screaming For Vengeance, British Steel, Hell Bent For Leather, Sad WIngs of Destiny, The Best of Judas Priest Comp and Ram it Down.

So...out of the albums I DON"T have and haven't listened to extensively, which would Priest fans insist I listen to immediately??

I keep hearing people rave about Stained Class and Sin After Sin in particular so I have a feeling I'm missing out and it might be that it's my lack of exposure to them that are the reason I'm not a bigger Priest fan, so I'm willing to be further converted if you can do it.

Also, I am wondering what Priest fans consider to be their top 5 favorite Priest albums in order??

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:48 pm 

I know my user name is Maiden based, but that was before Steve Harris got stuck in his creative rut of releasing X Factor over and fucking over again. So Priest.

Maiden are def the better live band though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:52 pm 

Idolsofchagrin wrote:

However, part of that may be that I actually haven't listened almost at all to some of their supposed greatest outputs.

I have never really listened to and do not own the following classic Priest albums (shame me if you will lol): Sin After Sin, Stained Class, Killing Machine, Point of Entry, Turbo,Rocka Rolla (I've heard most songs on Rocka Rolla but don't own it) and Defenders of the Faith.

I DO own and have listened extensively to: Painkiller, Jugulator, Screaming For Vengeance, British Steel, Hell Bent For Leather, Sad WIngs of Destiny, The Best of Judas Priest Comp and Ram it Down.

So...out of the albums I DON"T have and haven't listened to extensively, which would Priest fans insist I listen to immediately??

I keep hearing people rave about Stained Class and Sin After Sin in particular so I have a feeling I'm missing out and it might be that it's my lack of exposure to them that are the reason I'm not a bigger Priest fan, so I'm willing to be further converted if you can do it.

Well yeah man, Stained Class and Sin After Sin...don't really know how you can make a judgment like "I don't like Priest much" without hearing those. :p That's like saying you don't like Metallica after only hearing Death Magnetic, St Anger, the Loads and Master of Puppets.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:52 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
But I'm an elitist so I can get away with it. :p

Touché

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next