Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:00 am 

Still think that largely keyboard-less guitar-driven Power Metal is the best for stumbling home from the pub - even when said pub is closed at 9:00 due to Covid.
As such, I declare Defender of the Crown by Brocas Helm to the greatest comeback album of all time - come at me, bro!
Utterly forgotten for 16 years, then they unleash over an hour of ferocious slap-my-ass speed and irreverent attitude. “Cry of the Banshee”, “Children of the Nova Dawn”, “Drink and Drive”, even “Never Kissed Goodbye”... there're not one stinker in the lot. What else has ever come close?

hellhammer6661
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:03 pm 

Maybe Manticora , Celesty , Eterna , Gaia Epicus , Heavenly , Powr quest , vanishing point , Vhaldemar . These bands have a few atractive songs at least for me.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:52 pm 

Vhaldemar is quite good. No one ever mentions them.

hellhammer6661
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:43 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Vhaldemar is quite good. No one ever mentions them.

I listened the cds ´´fight to the end ´´ and ´´ I made my own hell 2003´´ and the only song I saved in my hard disk is ´´Lost_World ´´ very good guitar solo I must to say.

ThrashMan320
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:25 pm 

Can anyone recommend anything in the vein of Highlord- When the Aurora Falls?

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:04 pm 

I know this song stacks clichés like pancakes but damn if it doesn't make me feel giddy inside. I get positive vibes from this and I'm not a regular power metal listener. Like, at all.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:49 pm 

Frozen Crown is an unbelievably great band. Looks like they have a new album coming out soon too! What is it that makes Northern Italians so fucking good at this kind of music?

Death Mantra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:39 pm 

A couple of random ones from the 00s that I rediscovered last year:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:03 pm 

Human Fortress aren't that obscure, but I haven't really heard anyone talk about em in years. Defenders of the Crown has an incredible run of songs starting with "Border Raid" and going all the way to "Sacral Fire." The rest is good too but that run of songs is serious first rate stuff. Love Jioti's vocals too.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:12 pm 

Intense: British band, strong resemblance to Iced Earth:

Spoiler: show

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:41 am 

ThrashMan320 wrote:
Can anyone recommend anything in the vein of Highlord- When the Aurora Falls?

Skylark was peak Italian power metal. They then managed to progress backwards and became more and more amateurish.
Labyrinth is the obvious recommendation.

Odyssea's first album is great

Titanuim, Italian power metal from Poland/Ukraine

ThrashMan320
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:00 pm 

Thanks!

HR90
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:14 am 

I am not very into Power Metal, but Heavens Gate was my last find some years ago, and this is my favorite album by them with some Helloween vibes but with balls.

Sadly, they parted ways in 1999. They were a great band. Some members play or have played in other known bands (Avantasia, Luca Turilli, etc.).

Death Mantra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:33 am 

I rediscovered In Solitude (the Portuguese one)'s 3rd album "Nethergod" recently. Might be worth a go for those who liked the darker/moodier end of 00's power metal. It took a few plays for me to warm up to this for whatever reason (I had mixed feelings about this when I heard it back in the mid 00's).

They have a weird musical trajectory: they started off as rather typical 90's doom/gothic metal, had a really awkward transitional album, then went power metal. Pity they broke up...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:28 pm 

^ This is exactly the kind of stuff I like. Good rec.

Not as polished as some but they had potential for sure. Nice riffs and epic, odd songwriting, and the vocals are good if not always distinguished. Could've definitely been something even better if they kept going.

edit - I think this gets better as it goes on actually. Some nifty stuff. I appreciate how these kinds of bands always have some curveballs and variety.

Death Mantra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:14 pm 

Yeah, I found that one to be a bit of a grower. At any rate, I liked it more on my second listen than the 1st, which is always a good sign. I'm going to hold off on playing it again until I get my CD in the mail, then I'll play it to death. I think my initial mixed impression back in the mid 00s is why I bailed on it back then, but I had a gut feeling to revisit it recently. I probably should give their first 2 albums another chance one of these days.

I noticed they reformed as Nethergod early last decade, vanished for awhile, but resurfaced in 2020 and are recording a new album.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:36 am 

Wow, this thread has all the classic shit I used to listen to.

Ancestral is an Italian band that I haven't seen anybody mention. They adhere to the melodic format of earlier Italian power metal releases such as Return to Heaven Denied, but inject a lot of high-octane thrashy riffage into the mix. No symphonic stuff here.

Whispers in Crimson - Iranian band that plays in a prog-Euro PM style. The Sinbreed vocalist that turned a lot of heads with his performance in Avantasia is the singer on their only album.

Morgana Lefay for Jon Oliva style vocals and some of the beefiest groove riffs you'll hear in the realm of power metal. A brooding Savatage full of bitter spite. No Christmas spirit here.

Denpafighter978VGCP
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:26 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Human Fortress aren't that obscure, but I haven't really heard anyone talk about em in years. Defenders of the Crown has an incredible run of songs starting with "Border Raid" and going all the way to "Sacral Fire." The rest is good too but that run of songs is serious first rate stuff. Love Jioti's vocals too.

Human Fortress? Wow, they are pretty good. Defenders of the Crown is a good album. The title track has to be my favorite by them- if anything this is one of those bands I need to listen to more though.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:35 am 

I've been really struggling for the past ten or so years to discover any power metal bands that really blow me away. Cain's Offering is the one band I can think of. Sad.

Last edited by Pitiless Wanderer on Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Death Mantra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:54 pm 

Can't say there's been too much over the last decade that's floated my boat either. Merging Flare and Sound Storm are pretty good though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:17 pm 

I think there's been a shitload of absolutely great albums in the last decade myself.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:34 pm 

Beep boop. I am predictable robot. It is time for me to shill for Mary's Blood once again. For no compensation. Because I am a robot. Boop borp blerp.

Death Mantra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:01 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I think there's been a shitload of absolutely great albums in the last decade myself.

I'm glad you're having better luck than me. :) At any rate, that's what threads like this are for - anything of interest I'll run through spotify and buy what I like once covid goes away. I guess for newer power metal, it would have to be something unique/I haven't heard before, or something that I like and didn't get enough of (dark/proggy power metal).

I think my big problem is fighting with 15+ years of musical burnout - so this makes a lot of things sound like shit to me. I've usually managed this by just changing sub-genre/genre, but that's only a short-term fix.

For now, I've been having decent luck with my 00-04 reclamation project, so I'll stick with that for the time being. There's a few late 00s albums I salvaged recently as well (Scariot "Momentum Shift" and Alkemyst "Through Painful Lanes").

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:30 pm 

Yeah, I definitely appreciate the recommendations here. It's just that I've heard most of it already. I forgot about Human Fortress though - they're good! Pathfinder was another one I tried soooo hard to get into, but it didn't click on the level I was hoping for.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:33 pm 

Death Mantra wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I'm glad you're having better luck than me. :) At any rate, that's what threads like this are for - anything of interest I'll run through spotify and buy what I like once covid goes away. I guess for newer power metal, it would have to be something unique/I haven't heard before, or something that I like and didn't get enough of (dark/proggy power metal).

I think my big problem is fighting with 15+ years of musical burnout - so this makes a lot of things sound like shit to me. I've usually managed this by just changing sub-genre/genre, but that's only a short-term fix.

For now, I've been having decent luck with my 00-04 reclamation project, so I'll stick with that for the time being. There's a few late 00s albums I salvaged recently as well (Scariot "Momentum Shift" and Alkemyst "Through Painful Lanes").

Based on that In Solitude band, it seems we have somewhat similar tastes... you should give Vulvagun, Fireleaf, Thunder & Lightning's "In League with the Scythe," or the last few Tad Morose releases a listen. Plenty of beefy, arcane melodies. Arrayan Path also puts out an album like every year or so and they've all been good.

The band In Solitude most reminded me of was Pentagram from Turkey though - similarly fresh feel from a country not always known for metal, I guess. But Pentagram's stuff is from back in the 90s and maybe you know them already.

Death Mantra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:18 pm 

I'll keep all those bands in mind when I feel up to playing new music. I used to actually own most of Tad Morose's CDs, but they (along with a lot of other titles) I got rid of last decade. So they're part of my 00s reclamation project. There's quite a few titles I originally liked, but for whatever reason ended up getting losing interest in. Fortunately, my original feelings towards some albums came back, and some titles I like more now than I ever did (eg, Athena "A New Religion?").

I love Pentagram/Mezarkabul's "Unspoken" and yeah, that In Solitude kinda reminded me of them as well.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5